7-in. tablet makers find some success bypassing competition with Apple's iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Rather than mimic the iPad's 9.7-inch screen, tablet makers have apparently found more success with the smaller 7-inch screen size -- a form factor where Apple has indicated it has no plans to compete.

Touch panel makers are apparently most optimistic about sales of 7-inch tablets, according to DigiTimes. Despite this, most vendors are planning devices with 10.1-inch displays in an effort to more directly compete with the iPad.

"The sources pointed out that Korea-based Samsung Electronics' 7-inch Galaxy Tab and ViewSonic's 7-inch ViewPad are both generating stronger sales than their 10.1-inch models," the report said. "The 7-inch models are lower priced and avoid direct competition against Apple iPad.

"Although 10.1-inch tablet PCs will allow vendors to add keyboard support to their machines, their sales are still not as stable as the 7-inch models."

The report said that the 7-inch tablet market is set to experience "fierce competition," as none of the current players have been able to establish a dominant presence in the market. The first major product to market was Samsung's Galaxy Tab, which debuted to lukewarm reviews late last year. Another major player has been the Barnes and Noble Nook Color, another Android-powered device with a 7-inch screen that has reportedly estimated to sell 3 million units by the end of March.

Last year, Apple was rumored to be exploring an entrance into the 7-inch size range with a new, smaller iPad. But Chief Executive Steve Jobs quashed those rumors last October when he slammed 7-inch tablets as too small to be usable.

Still, as recently as February, rumors of a new device sized between the 9.7-inch iPad and 3.5-inch iPod touch. The product, speculated to be either a "Super iPhone or "iPad Mini," was said by one analyst to launch in the second half of 2011.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    1st woot. Three words: D.O.A. Pity the people that buy them and then realise that. How's Flash doing on it? More importantly, how's those Honeycomb updates coming along... Oh, wait, it's no longer open source ("at this stage")... Ah, the unmistakable smell of fail.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    Small tablets are great for people who want something bigger than a smartphone, that they use infrequently. RIM's PlayBook is a good example -- the battery is truly pathetic (5.3 Wh versus the iPad's 25 Wh), but the smaller and lighter device is much better than an iPad for shoving in your pocket. I'd say this is a moderately-sized market of people with desktop computers (i.e. enterprise business people) who need something for meetings that they don't have to use all day. No doubt you can make a small-screen tablet with a big battery, but then it would lose the pocket advantage (at least for people who don't wear heavy canvas clothing).

For people who want a primary device, the iPad 2's battery life should be the defining difference when comparing to smaller tablets. That and the fact that iOS is still far superior to the alternatives. To most human beings the iPad 2 is also far superior as a device, but that's more subjective, I suppose.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:

"The 7-inch models are lower priced and avoid direct competition against Apple iPad.

BULLSHIT. Samsung Tab is more expensive than the iPad.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    Don't forget how *CONFIDENT* Google is with Honeycomb:

From Business Week: “To make our schedule to ship the tablet, we made some design tradeoffs,” says Andy Rubin, vice-president for engineering at Google and head of its Android group. “We didn’t want to think about what it would take for the same software to run on phones. It would have required a lot of additional resources and extended our schedule beyond what we thought was reasonable. So we took a shortcut.”

Mmm... Them honeycombs shure taste nice with shortcuts in them.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    Don't get me wrong, the 7" form factor will have a role to play in the future. But with Honeycomb closed off, Android developers and manufacturers falling over each other to come out with anything credible within lower price points, I don't see anything worthwhile coming out in the next six months.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Don't forget how *CONFIDENT* Google is with Honeycomb:

From Business Week: ?To make our schedule to ship the tablet, we made some design tradeoffs,? says Andy Rubin, vice-president for engineering at Google and head of its Android group. ?We didn?t want to think about what it would take for the same software to run on phones. It would have required a lot of additional resources and extended our schedule beyond what we thought was reasonable. So we took a shortcut.?

Mmm... Them honeycombs shure taste nice with shortcuts in them.

This is also RIM's strategy: don't bother developing your own ecosystem. Don't worry about actually making an effort to offer a unique experience. Just use someone else's ish, namely Google's.

All this shortcutting and corner-cutting sacrifices User Experience. We keep coming back to that. Because that's what the competition doesn't get: it's all about User Experience in this New Age of computing. Not raw specs. Not Frankenstein hardware.

Apple keeps focusing on the basics and refining them. No shortcuts. Hence, long lines, etc.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

BULLSHIT. Samsung Tab is more expensive than the iPad.

Right ... Isn't the Samsung Tab a 10.1"?
  • Reply 8 of 86
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Isn't the Samsung Tab a 10.1"? Or is that your point ...

There are three Tabs - 7", 8.9" and 10.1"

the 7" is old - the 8.9 is about $30 cheaper than the iPad 2, but with lower specs, and the 10.1 is the same price as the iPad two, with arguably better or equal specs. Both the 8.9 and the 10.1 run Honeycomb (I believe). The 7" is 2.2
  • Reply 9 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This is also RIM's strategy: don't bother developing your own ecosystem. Don't worry about actually making an effort to offer a unique experience. Just use someone else's ish, namely Google's.

All this shortcutting and corner-cutting sacrifices User Experience. We keep coming back to that. Because that's what the competition doesn't get: it's all about User Experience in this New Age of computing. Not raw specs. Not Frankenstein hardware.

Apple keeps focusing on the basics and refining them. No shortcuts. Hence, long lines, etc.

The best part now is how much access would RIM get to Google's "free and open and wonderful Android ecosystem"? Who gets priority? Moto? HTC? RIM? To what parts, what code?

I know RIM is using QNX but it's trying to incorporate Android or something, as well as Adobe AIR, right? Man, the more one even *thinks* about the PlayBook you can't NOT think about it just failing miserably. To me they are the real underdog in this whole thing. I'd like to see them succeed, just to have some legit competition but boy, this is one little train that is huffing and puffing up Mount Everest.
  • Reply 10 of 86
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Apple should release iPod Touch with 6-7" screen, then people will perceive 7" tablet as a... non-tablet.

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone IMO.
  • Reply 11 of 86
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    If all other things were equal, I'd probably prefer a smaller form factor. But things aren't equal because iOS isn't available on a smaller tablet size. The OS and overall features and function would override the size preference.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    Until these companie come out and talk about some actual sales numbers -- one can understand if it's in the ballpark or somewhat vaguely articulated, for competitive reasons -- I think it's FUD.

I'll just find it easier to believe if they can past mumbles such as "not small, but smooth...." or some IT consulting firm-du-jour or 'source' throwing out its speculation-du-jour.

Incidentally, I'm not sure that I've seen any hard numbers on Android phone sales either (e.g., in the form of segment data from the makers themselves). Can anyone point to a link?
  • Reply 13 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Until these companie come out and talk about some actual sales numbers -- one can understand if it's in the ballpark or somewhat vaguely articulated, for competitive reasons -- I think it's FUD.

I'll just find it easier to believe if they can past mumbles such as "not small, but smooth...." or some IT consulting firm-du-jour or 'source' throwing out its speculation-du-jour.

Incidentally, I'm not sure that I've seen any hard numbers on Android phone sales either (e.g., in the form of segment data from the makers themselves). Can anyone point to a link?

Who needs facts or figures? Android is taking over the world, that's all we need to know, right? Seriously though I don't have a link but Gartner has some of the most recent Android smartphone numbers lying around somewhere. Tablet data? now that I don't recall seeing.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm not saying a sub seven inch device is a replacement for iPad but rather it is an alternative. A lot of people don't seem to grasp that on these forums, but for many uses the iPad is simply too big. On the flip side id love to see a bigger iPad along the size of a clipboard, or about 13-14" in size.

It is pretty simple really; look at the Nook and the amazon pads, they are almost an ideal size for reading documents and being handy enough to have with you all the time. You can't say that with iPad.

Apple may have a point in that a smaller iPad might not be as useful as the current one but who cares? That is like saying the Touch isn't useful because of it's size. Interestingly enough I'm seeing more and more people carrying around Touches as PDAs than ever before. These users don't use them for music or media and instead use them for mail, calendar, and the ocassional web access. Think about the people that carried Daytimers and the like around constantly.
  • Reply 15 of 86
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    Let's see, on this web site? The only thing that matters is that if Apple isn't doing it, it must stink. Of course, the tiny iPhone is awesome, and the big iPad is awesome. But anything in between that must be pure junk...

How ironic that the artsy Apple-folk are such luddites when it comes to non-Apple products!
  • Reply 16 of 86
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    They could do so and have zero to marginal impact on iPad 2 sales. This is what people don't understand is that we are talking about an entirely different market here. Think about it folks did iPad stop the sale of the Touch and iPhone products. No in fact it seems to have spurred sales along.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

If all other things were equal, I'd probably prefer a smaller form factor. But things aren't equal because iOS isn't available on a smaller tablet size. The OS and overall features and function would override the size preference.

The OS is huge here. Having played with Nooks and Kindles it isn't the physical size that is the problem but rather the software and mire specifically the GUI. One only needs to try using one of these to realize just how borked the interface is.

It has already been proven that iOS works well on small devices so Apple should have zero issues with bringing up a seven inch class device.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Let's see, on this web site? The only thing that matters is that if Apple isn't doing it, it must stink. Of course, the tiny iPhone is awesome, and the big iPad is awesome. But anything in between that must be pure junk...

How ironic that the artsy Apple-folk are such luddites when it comes to non-Apple products!

Did you read my post? Of course there is scope for a 7" device. It's just a matter of who can actually pull it off reasonably well within reasonable price points... using what is now until further notice a proprietary, closed source operating system.
  • Reply 18 of 86
    7" tablets will have their uses, and I think Apple will produce a 7" version in the future. The problem of all these 7" tablets right now is actually the same as those non-iPad 10" tablets - that they are not Apple products. People are really not interested in buying a tablet, they're just interested in buying an iPad, and that's the key that all these other companies need to understand.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

and the 10.1 is the same price as the iPad two, with arguably better or equal specs.

I think not. I guarantee the GPU in the current Tab 10.1 is not even close to that of the iPad 2 (and that is really a place that it will count and show it's inferiority). The iPad 2 GPU has 3.5x higher triangle rate and has absolutely no slow down when doing full-scene anti-aliasing.

Judging from the stats around wikipedia etc. the Galaxy Tab GPU will be around half way between the iPad 1 and Motorola Xoom.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/a...p2-benchmarked

So, the Tab sucks in that, ultimately the most important, respect. Cameras are generally irrelevant.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    neilmneilm Posts: 989member
    I'd see two major market segments:

1) Devices that are small enough to fit in your pocket, but involve obvious sacrifices in readability due to their 4" or smaller screens. The iPhone and its smartphone competitors all fall into this category.

2) 9-11" tablets that are the converse of the above. (And if an iPad fits in your pocket, well...)

Of course a 7" tablet falls in between those two. It might fit in a more generous sized pocket, albeit not very conveniently, but it's still a fairly small display. In a something-for- everyone world I imagine that this will be just right for some people. But for the majority of the market a 7" screen seems like an uncomfortable compromise, failing on both counts.