Dell, HP execs lash out at Apple's iOS successes

Comments

• Reply 101 of 232
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fila97 View Post

Dell should shut the company down and give the money back to the shareholders.

I know this is a good old joke as MD said this of Apple. However, the day will come in the not so far off future when they have to do the former but will be unable to do the latter. Then I will really laugh.
  • Reply 102 of 232
    What's really funny with these know-it-alls is that they speak with such passion you'd think that they are simply defensive for their own incompetence.

I got news for Dell: if some tablet copycat ends up eating Apple's lunch, it won't be Dell-Hell! Not with 10 minute battery life!
  • Reply 103 of 232
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    All of this is nothing more that PR crap to appease investors. They "want" to believe this, but inside they're crapping their pants.

Claiming that the iPad "needs" a keyboard and a mouse clearly shows that they don't get it. And why is it that everyone is having a heck of a time competing with Apple on the price in addition to overall quality and user experience?

I do feel that Android is going to get it's share and be competitive for Apple. Given that it's on a ton of different handsets from a ton of different vendors will give it market share. The thing is, it will be a situation where you have a lot of companies, investing a lot to make a little. Overall market share may be impressive, but it will be so diluted no one will be getting rich.

Open doesn't always equal better. More market share doesn't equal better.

Dell is not a bad company, but they've never understood that and they clearly don't understand the iPad.
  • Reply 104 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tenchi211 View Post

Delusional. Simply delusional.

Apple's competitors are lead by incompetent assholes. And like any asshole, they want to leave no doubt about it. Shout it from the mountaintop, boys: "We're clueless, and we want the world to know!! (Oh, and by the way, be nice and buy our products, 'cause our competitor is evil. But we're not. Thanks!)"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

They "want" to believe this, but inside they're crapping their pants..

Well, to be fair: It takes a special talent to crap your pants from the outside.
  • Reply 105 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Yes the Dell tablets will require a mouse, a keyboard.... The whole nine yards!

That is his "vision"

ROTFLMAO at some of those (soon to be former) execs' comments

Maybe Dell are working on a hybrid device that can be either a tablet or a PC hence the inclusion of a mouse. Perhaps this is just the opening salvo in a claim that a dual purpose device is superior. They must be pretty desperate to have anything that is competitive. Surely no one in his position is dumb enough to think a touch based OS requires or could even use a mouse?
  • Reply 106 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4agilbert View Post

Anyone else notice that the Dell exec mentioned having to get a mouse? Doesn't really get the whole touch screen tablet thing does he?

No I didn't even catch that mouse comment. Yea, I think he missed the boat on the new touch screen interfaces. He's head of sales and marketing huh....
  • Reply 107 of 232
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    It's nice to see that Dell and Friends are so open to hiring the mentally challenged.
  • Reply 108 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Apple's competitors are lead by incompetent assholes. And like any asshole, they want to leave no doubt about it. Shout it from the mountaintop, boys: "We're clueless, and we want the world to know!! (Oh, and by the way, be nice and buy our products, 'cause our competitor is evil. But we're not. Thanks!)"

Exactly! When you stop and thing about it the likes of DELL never really had any need to innovate ... ever. All they ever did was make beige boxes and load MS Windows. That's it. They were simply box makers. They never ever had a product of their own, never ever had to innovate, never ever had to think past making beige boxes cheaper and faster than the next beige box maker.

You have to have some pity for them, it must suddenly feel very scary for the likes of DELL. They need an original product (not in their DNA) or simply go back to making boxes (in this case tablets) and putting Android on them as per their previous business model except ... OMG they can't do it faster and cheaper this time. DELL are screwed as no one will want a beige box (or any color) soon and they can't compete in the tablet market.
  • Reply 109 of 232
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by That HP guy

Apple's relationship with partners is transactional, completely. Apple doesn’t have an inclusive philosophy of partner capabilities, and that's just absurd

Maybe someone can translate this for me, because to me it reads like someone who just scored bigtime on his game of bullshit-bingo
  • Reply 110 of 232
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quickly: regarding this "open debate" and how great it is:

1) what's out there now to secure Android against malware/virus attacks for the enterprise, and for individuals;

2) how long will Google continue to develop Android/Chrome if:
    a) they lose against Oracle, and/or
    b) due to restrictions of the providers and high costs of mobile plans, it becomes common knowledge that to save on bandwidth, all people will also install adblockers (amazingly available in the Marketplace already). Considering that's the only real reason Google develops Android (AdMob), and the only way developers can make money on it is by integrating ads... well when does Google get tired, as they have shown in the past, of going further if THEY are not making any money doing so.
    The only alternative left is MS. Are the calling themselves "open source" now? Did I miss something? Has hell really frozen over?
  • Reply 111 of 232
    Ok, sure, both of these execs are making up bizarre reasons why their products will succeed, and apple's ridiculously successful iPad will soon fall flat on it's face, never to sell more than 50 units a day again.

But what else can they do? Apple is probably nearing the 20 million mark for tablets sold, while all the other vendors haven't even shipped half that amount to retailers, combined, let alone actually sold the products to living customers. The current iPad incarnation is getting some of the most positive reviews for any product on the planet. Seriously, I think the most common complaint in all the reviews is that the buttons feel wonky on a tilted surface.

So, what? Are they gonna go to the press and brag about how flush their buttons and dock connectors are? Or should they just throw up their hands and say, oh well, enjoy the entire post-pc market by yourself, apple.

So all they can do is brag about how awesome android is, cuz it's open, even tho you can't actually adjust honeycomb right now. Or say that apple's products are over priced and throw out numbers associated with apple's professional laptops because they can resonate with certain demographics. Or so that, actually, behind the scenes, apple's a mean bully who won't play nice and steals everyone's lunch money when customers aren't looking.

All that said in their defense, how out of sorts do you have to be to talk about mice when discussing tablets? they're grasping at straws and apparently claiming the only mice that work with iPads are iPhones, which in combination with a keyboard and a case, still wouldn't be the $800 you'd need to justify his arguments.
  • Reply 112 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Exactly! When you stop and thing about it the likes of DELL never really had any need to innovate ... ever. All they ever did was make beige boxes and load MS Windows. That's it. They were simply box makers. They never ever had a product of their own, never ever had to innovate, never ever had to think past making beige boxes cheaper and faster than the next beige box maker.

Yes, and now there's no one who can feed them an 'iPad killer' OS. Eventually, someone (probably Google) will offer them something (probably Honeycomb) they can build a box around. But even when that day comes, this isn't the Apple that Dell was competing against back in the day. It's unlikely they can build tablets more price-effectively than Apple without making something that's very noticeably cheaper.

'Cheaper' tablets do have their place. Kindles sell well, and they're quite good at what they do. But no one's mistaking them for iPads. What these pathetic, lying corporate weasels want you to believe is that whatever they manage to drool out over the next couple of years will be 'just as good' as an iPad. But by then, everyone in the market for a tablet will have at least seen an iPad, and they'll know better.
  • Reply 113 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

I do feel that Android is going to get it's share and be competitive for Apple. Given that it's on a ton of different handsets from a ton of different vendors will give it market share. The thing is, it will be a situation where you have a lot of companies, investing a lot to make a little. Overall market share may be impressive, but it will be so diluted no one will be getting rich.

Like you said, it'll get a "market share" that people can quote in propaganda, but what does that add up to? Of course, most of us are immune to the Fandroids' claims that Android is an "open" platform?but actually Android isn't even "a" closed platform; it's dozens of competing closed platforms. The only one making money is Google, from delivering eyeballs to the spamsters. Even at that, I think Android has pretty much peaked even in the phone space.

Trying to transfer the (relative) success of Android in the phone market to the tablet market is just silly, though. As a thought experiment, think of the smartphone market when Android came out as the computer market without Windows. Suppose all you could get were Macs and a few bargain-basement toys with proprietary OSs. Then Linux comes along. All of a sudden manufacturers had an OS they could put on their computers that was "good enough" and could sell them a lot cheaper than Macs. There would be a huge number of people buying them. Maybe 1% of them would be tech geeks with some kind of ideological commitment to "open" OSs, and who don't mind basically writing their own OS on the fly to get anything done, but most would simply want a computer and to pay less than they had to pay for a Mac.

Now transfer this to the tablet market. The iPad is already there, but instead of being premium-priced, it's the cheapest! Would a "free" alternative that requires a much steeper learning curve and can't even deliver lower prices get much of a foothold? I don't think so. There may eventually be a few really shoddy Android tablets that can beat the iPad (or the iPad from two years before) on price, but they're going to be so obviously inferior that I think they'll be a hard sell. They'll be left with that hard core 1% of tech geeks, the Open Source ideologues, and the knee-jerk Apple-haters. How much "market share" does that add up to? I don't know, but what I do know is they won't be making anybody any money. Except Google and the spamsters, of course.
  • Reply 114 of 232
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"...Apple doesn?t have an inclusive philosophy of partner capabilities, and that's just absurd," DeWitt said

Does anyone even know what 'inclusive philosophy of partner capabilities' even means? I work in management consulting, so come across this sort of bullshit every day. But even I have trouble translating this (and anything that comes out of RIM's co-CEOs).
  • Reply 115 of 232
    "Lark congratulated Apple for igniting the tablet opportunity with the iPad, while predicting that the device will ultimately fall to more "open" competitors. ?I couldn?t be happier that Apple has created a market and built up enthusiasm but longer term, open, capable and affordable will win, not closed, high price and proprietary,?

Ah! I get it now. Thank you Larkman, all-seeing, all-knowing, the IT Superhero leading his entirely derivative outfit ever onward and upwards.

I've always wondered how Linux beat Windows.

Now I know! It's because of The Lark Reality Distortion Field Mandate: "Open, capable and affordable will win, not closed, high price and proprietary"
  • Reply 116 of 232
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That must be some real good shit that those Dell dudes are smoking. I wish I had some of that.

Oh, very good stuff! Well aged... Here's the supplier to all the top Dell execs, so I've heard...

/

/

/

/
  • Reply 117 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Quickly: regarding this "open debate" and how great it is:

1) what's out there now to secure Android against malware/virus attacks for the enterprise, and for individuals;

I like this one. I am kinda in between iPhone, recently lost one and really want to wait for the new one rather than getting the iphone 4 at the moment. So I decided to get one of the android phone to feel the new touch, HTC desire HD. You can't imagine how much it amazed me for the first time i went to their Market and saw plenty of the Anti virus apps just like you see on the PC. I did not expect virus to be such an issue on such a phone. It makes my grief over the iPhone worse.

It is really inexplicable how these executives even insisted on saying that in public. After my two weeks, I can tell all sorts of drawbacks you can get from an Android. Notwithstanding its prowess at social integration and widgets on home screen, apps are really unpolished (one sticky note app is my favorite though). Where can i find aNotes or my very decent Air Mouse apps. Battery is horrible. No wonder why they are all so fussy about replaceable battery.

The rom update system in particular is such a Tangled. Rooting is much more convoluted than us jailbreaking.

The experience is fresh but not great. I dont see why I would want to try a android table.
  • Reply 118 of 232
    I went to bed late last night, so I woke up this morning still feeling sleepy. I rolled over and reached groggily for my iPad 2. Fired up NewsRack, just to see what the latest rumor was about WWDC and the timing of the release or announcement of iPhone 5. Out of curiosity I decided to check out what Dell and HP had to say about Apple.

Now I'm wide awake. The combination of incredibly inane comments, wishful thinking, and utter frustration expressed by the Dell and HP guys and the amusing comments by posters here made me burst out laughing. The mouse comment alone jolted me into alertness. Who needs coffee?
  • Reply 119 of 232
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

And now think about it: if you take a 16GB WiFi for $499 and you even don't need a mouse etc. that's even nearly 320% cheaper then he claims! That should leave these competitors flummoxed ...

(OK, $499 is 70% of $1600 - but getting from $499 to $1600, that's really a 320% increase.)

$499 is 70% of $1600? Since when?
  • Reply 120 of 232
    Those are the exact same reasons that the iPod was destroyed by the competition ...

Oh, wait ...