Microsoft exec says tablets like Apple's iPad may be just a fad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 196
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

In the short term to medium-term, I agree, you need something with a bigger screen. In the long-term, say 5-10 years out, I'd say you would just wirelessly transmit the iPhone screen to a bigger screen... be that a TV screen, computer screen, digital picture frame or something else.

You'd still need a way to interact with the larger screen. For anything but the simplest of applications, you need more screen space for controls to effectively use the application. (Or you could go the buttonless iPod Shuffle route...click once to play, three times to skip forward, twice and hold to fast forward, etc). So each of those bigger screens would need a touch interface and would need to transmit the user actions back to the smaller device to evaluate the input, update the display, and transmit it back to the larger screen.

Not saying it can't be done. But I think it would be more likely that those larger screens would be complete devices (ie, like an iPad), not just displays. You could have them reach back to your smaller device (iPhone) for data, user preferences, etc; but I think by then all that would already be in the cloud anyway.

So now I have an independent, larger screened device accessing the cloud for data. Hm, which fruit logo'd company do we know working on that already?
  • Reply 62 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I like the Wii and I agree that Microsoft has fallen on its face on multiple product and technology fronts. But there is nothing pathetic about Kinect. It is simply brilliant. The Wii even does not compare, even if it was launched first. In fact, Kinect is probably the first truly brilliant development ever by Microsoft. It's only fair to give kudos where they are due, if we want to be credible.

What Microsoft execs have been saying about iPads, howvever, is the other side of brilliant.

A MS invention? Licensed tech... So much for MS inovation

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/19/ki...hind-the-tech/
  • Reply 63 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VernK View Post

This bit about there being more trucks than cars in the early years of the automobile industry has popped up again. It's simply not true, but let's not let facts get in the way of a good metaphor.

Yours

Vern

It isn't true? I'd be quite interested, I wasn't around then so I dont know. There were a lot of different types of larger vehicle.. They weren't all trucks but I've heard the front part of a truck/trailer called a tractor so if you include all commercial/industrial...

Anyway give us some stats if you know. Not to argue the point, just for the data hunger
  • Reply 64 of 196
    allvarallvar Posts: 9member
    For the sake of argument, let's say that the room computer turns out to be a really great product ... how would you make it portable???

Yes, it's a retorical question. But feel free to speculate if you have any good solutions :-)
  • Reply 65 of 196
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Allvar View Post

For the sake of argument, let's say that the room computer turns out to be a really great product ... how would you make it portable???

Yes, it's a retorical question. But feel free to speculate if you have any good solutions :-)

I assume the idea would be that you carried a digital identity with you (device, card, biometrics, implant, wearable) that toggled personalized services wherever you happened to be. The client devices would reside in the architecture, and instead of a single box that was the "computer" there would be many, many web connected devices distributed throughout the environment. There would still be portable screens, of course, but most if not all of their computing power would be offloaded to the always available servers.

This, of course, is also Google's vision, since a ubiquitously connected world is a world always ready to be served ads.

At any rate, all of this is fun to speculate about, but what is MS doing about it? You have to start somewhere, you have to lay the foundations. But they haven't.
  • Reply 66 of 196
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Dell, HP, MS and Sony should stop all execs commenting on anything! Sheez!

For real! There is a serious epidemic of foot-in-mouth disease going on.
  • Reply 67 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

For real! There is a serious epidemic of foot-in-mouth disease going on.

At least Acer is just flat-out admitting that the low margin commodity computer doesn't make much sense in a world with iPads.

It's pretty shocking to consider how disruptive the iPad really is. Is their a major technology firm that hasn't recently responded to Apple's clout, either with bluster or a mea culpa? Or, in the case of Samsun, both, alternating, according to their special brand of crazy?
  • Reply 68 of 196
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Those morons didn't understand the iPhone, and they don't understand the iPad either. Is anybody surprised?

"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance," said Ballmer.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...rket-share.ars

Jealousy and desperation makes people say and do stupid things. All of Apple's competitor's are currently crapping in their pants.
  • Reply 69 of 196
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

At least Acer is just flat-out admitting that the low margin commodity computer doesn't make much sense in a world with iPads.

It's pretty shocking to consider how disruptive the iPad really is. Is their a major technology firm that hasn't recently responded to Apple's clout, either with bluster or a mea culpa? Or, in the case of Samsun, both, alternating, according to their special brand of crazy?

I seem to recall that Nintendo and Nokia?s CEOs have made such claims.
  • Reply 70 of 196
    Mundie is right, tablets may not be a long lasting trend. Though I think something like a tablet will continue for at least as long as we have desktops; it seems sort of like an inevitable direction for the portable computer.
  • Reply 71 of 196
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Microsoft spends a lot on research, and thankfully for us they occasionally let us see what they are working on. I'll take that any day over the secrecy there is at Apple, but I'd also bet that there at least as many abandoned projects in Cupertino as well. Just because we don't get to see them doesn't mean that they don't exist.
  • Reply 72 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It is good that Acer finally saw the light. We'll see if it is too late.

With regard to the other verbal stumbles, it reminds me of the Abe Lincoln (or was it Mark Twain)

quote "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"
  • Reply 73 of 196
    jacksonsjacksons Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coolaaron88 View Post

Sorry but the need for something bigger that 3.5, 4, and 4.3 inch screen automatically makes you wrong MS. Come out with a tablet and then you can talk.

You could always plug your super powerful phone into a tablet shaped touchscreen display, or monitor, or TV or other fancy display doodad.
  • Reply 74 of 196
    john hjohn h Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

And this mentality is why M$ never has been and never will be innovative. They consistently look back rather than forward. They copy rather than create. Windows PCs might still dominate but they will never inspire. Big ideas like "the room is the computer" need a roadmap for taking you there and Apple has a clear roadmap. The iPad and future iterations may be temporary but then, so are smartphones and desktop computers for that matter. There is always something more innovative coming down the pipes. If tablets are still a big part of the tech landscape in 10 years, I will be disappointed. The point is, Apple's iPad, Apple TV, etc. are all part of a greater strategy, and that strategy will evolve over time. The iPad doesn't need to be the future... it just needs to take us there.

Agreed! It is this lack of vision and poor execution that has taken Microsoft to its current status: a company that is living on its legacy products with nothing new to move their earnings needle.
  • Reply 75 of 196
    Well, I never in my wildest dreams imagined anyone could actually make Ballmer appear smart, but then along comes Mundie.

No, that's too strong.

They're both idiots.

When are the Non Executive Directors at Microsoft going to do something to protect the long-suffering shareholders? Like booting out this crowd of buffoons and getting some real talent into place.

Just for one moment imagine these clowns had been working at Apple, and Clown 1 tells Steve Jobs "There is no chance the iPhone will get any significant market share. No chance."

Then Clown 2 pipes up and tells Steve "Tablets have no future."

They would both have been out the door in a New York second with Steve's boot up their arses.
  • Reply 76 of 196
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John H View Post

Agreed! It is this lack of vision and poor execution that has taken Microsoft to its current status: a company that is living on its legacy products with nothing new to move their earnings needle.

I don't care about earnings, and unless you're a shareholder, I don't know why you would either.

However, over the past few years Microsoft has released some awesome products, many of which were innovative, and most of which were very good executions:

Windows 7

Office 2010

Windows Phone 7 (they could easily have copied iPhone/Android, but chose to make a truly unique mobile OS)

Xbox 360

Kinect

Zune
  • Reply 77 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Microsoft spends a lot on research, and thankfully for us they occasionally let us see what they are working on. I'll take that any day over the secrecy there is at Apple, but I'd also bet that there at least as many abandoned projects in Cupertino as well. Just because we don't get to see them doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Except what does Microsoft's occasional fake product videos do for anyone? The Courier thing had MS fanboys swooning with glee, absolutely certain that Redmond had done an end-run around Apple and preempted the entire tablet market in one stroke of genius. But it wasn't anything. It doesn't lead to anything. It doesn't make our tech lives any better or more interesting. Ditto Origami, Spot, and Surface. They mean nothing.

Why on earth is that more gratifying to you than Apple's "secrecy"? Don't you find a shipping product more engaging than speculation? If I want speculation I can read any number of talented sci-fi writers and futurists. From large technology companies I look for actual products.
  • Reply 78 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Dell, HP, MS and Sony should stop all execs commenting on anything! Sheez!

Add Samsung to the list
  • Reply 79 of 196
    This is just the tremblings of a MS on the brink of a nervous breakdown.

The tablet PC was Gates' one special baby. And Apple ran with it & left MS as a complete non-player.

I'd almost feel pity for the Redmondites, daydreaming at Mt. Rainier and wondering why they can't succeed at anything besides Office licensing.

Or I would if they weren't Microsoft.
  • Reply 80 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

I don't care about earnings, and unless you're a shareholder, I don't know why you would either.

However, over the past few years Microsoft has released some awesome products, many of which were innovative, and most of which were very good executions:

Windows 7

Office 2010

Windows Phone 7 (they could easily have copied iPhone/Android, but chose to make a truly unique mobile OS)

Xbox 360

Kinect

Zune

You had me going until you said Zune. Oh, and earnings are at least a little important to non-shareholders, because companies which don't have earnings don't continue to exist indefinitely.