New book reveals Apple's Steve Jobs was targeted for role of Google CEO

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Professional Apple-bashers"

Yeah, I give sprockkets and MacRulez the credit of thinking they're motivated by blind hatred, but Galbi and Galaxy Tab (if they're not in fact the same person) seem to be on Samsung's payroll. Srathi, up above, however, seems to be a new breed. Apparently they're outsourcing astroturfing jobs now. That's just sad...
  • Reply 22 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Does it count as "news" if it's more than half a year old?

AppleInsider outscooped by Gizmodo (and pretty much most of the rest of the world) once again:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/10/go...ceo-of-google/

http://www.google.com/search?q=googl...s+october+2010

Uh, this article was written because there is a new book that details the love-hate relationship between these two companies in detail. It is news, and I, for one, appreciate it. Besides, the article title was about Steve being a CEO candidate for Google, not the old news that you refer to.

BTW, AppleInsider had plenty of articles on the thievery of Eric Schmidt the same time everyone else did. They didn't miss anything.

I am not in any way affiliated with AppleInsider, but it bothers me when people go out of their way to bash the company for no good reason. If you don't like the article, don't read it. If you don't like AppleInsider, don't visit it.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranger_one View Post

Uh, this article was written because there is a new book that details the love-hate relationship between these two companies in detail. It is news, and I, for one, appreciate it. Besides, the article title was about Steve being a CEO candidate for Google, not the old news that you refer to.

BTW, AppleInsider had plenty of articles on the thievery of Eric Schmidt the same time everyone else did. They didn't miss anything.

I am not in any way affiliated with AppleInsider, but it bothers me when people go out of their way to bash the company for no good reason. If you don't like the article, don't read it. If you don't like AppleInsider, don't visit it.

Plus, you'd think after how-many years of going on somebody's site to insult them, you'd spell their name right just once, by mistake!
  • Reply 24 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Jobs also reportedly disparaged Google at a company meeting, dismissing Google's "don't be evil" mantra with an expletive, and saying that "Google wants to kill the iPhone."

Mark his word, the "Google's don't be evil mantra is BS" part, what Steve Jobs said usually come true..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new book also reveals that Jobs "somehow managed to keep the development of the iPad hidden" from Schmidt when he served on Apple's board. Jobs reportedly believed that the "best ideas from the iPhone had been stolen."

I wonder if Schmidt was furious when he finally found out about this..
  • Reply 25 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Yeah, I give sprockkets and MacRulez the credit of thinking they're motivated by blind hatred, but Galbi and Galaxy Tab (if they're not in fact the same person) seem to be on Samsung's payroll. Srathi, up above, however, seems to be a new breed. Apparently they're outsourcing astroturfing jobs now. That's just sad...

It scares the sh!t out of me to know these kinda people actually roam and trolling in Apple-oriented topic forum like AI here, what drives them to do such thing..
  • Reply 26 of 88
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    It seems odd that android fans are vigorously defending Google stealing Apple multi-touch technology. Of course Apple did not patent multi-touch. But Apple implemented multi-touch different from the original multi-touch. So Apple did not steal multi-touch patent. This is true of the mouse.

This reminds me of the IBM PC. IBM patented PC technology. Compaq assembled a team of engineers without any knowledge of IBM PC. This recreated the bios that IBM patented. But IBM could not sue Compaq.

Google, on the other hand, worked with Apple providing the Map application for the first iPhone. Google has inside knowledge of how Apple implemented multi-touch. Google Android team proceeded to copy Apple multi-touch technology bit by bit. This is called theft.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

It scares the sh!t out of me to know these kinda people actually roam and trolling in Apple-oriented topic forum like AI here, what drives them to do such thing..

The same exact motivation that Drives DED to make his anti-Android posts, but at least they don't consider their commentary news.
  • Reply 28 of 88
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

The same exact motivation that Drives DED to make his anti-Android posts, but at least they don't consider their commentary news.

I see. So someone who is paid to write articles for an Apple-centric site has the same motivations as people who loath Apple and go out of their way to seek out an Apple-centric site so they can post an endless stream of bile and bitterness.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    taniatania Posts: 63member
    people tend to forget that this was what the real Android looked like:

So yeah, I'm not surprised Jobs was pissed.

edit- sorry for the large size, how do you change dimension with the BB tags?
  • Reply 30 of 88
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Poor Steve... Those knives in his back would've hurt. Android is, as I always say, a blatant copy of iOS.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So plan B was to try to take Apple away from Steve Jobs in the form of IP via their stooge board member.

In hindsight how could Schmidt have been there for so long. Any normal person would've felt so uncomfortable so openly pickpocketing Apple... First with smartphones then now tablets.

Looks like Steve got suspicious and locked Schmidt out of iPad's most recent R&D which is why we have the Honeybomb mess.

This is like your best friend sleeping with your wife and high-fiving you the morning after when you walk in on them.
  • Reply 32 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tania View Post

edit- sorry for the large size, how do you change dimension with the BB tags?

I think you have to use an image-hosting site then embed the smaller version of your upload with this forum's [img] tag.
  • Reply 33 of 88
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    3 people have betrayed Steve jobs in his lifetime.

First, it was Bill Gates, who stole the GUI elemnts from the Mac prototype codenamed "Sand" and used it on Windows.

Then, it was John Sculley, who fired Jobs when Mac sales went down in 1985.

The third betrayer was Eric Schmidt, who lied to Jobs that Android wasn't going to compete with iPhone.

Steve Jobs doesn't understand the Art of War. He thinks everyone is nice and cozy, until it's too late. That's what I told him in my email.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    lol, you gotta laugh at SJ hiding the ipad off from Schmidt, good thing he did btw.
  • Reply 35 of 88
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

First, it was Bill Gates, who stole the GUI elemnts from the Mac prototype codenamed "Sand" and used it on Windows.

The third betrayer was Eric Schmidt, who lied to Jobs that Android wasn't going to compete with iPhone.

Steve Jobs doesn't understand the Art of War. He thinks everyone is nice and cozy, until it's too late. That's what I told him in my email.

Steve Jobs may have feared about being betrayed from the beginning. Because this is the best explanation why he wants Apple products to be closed. Apple had been copied left and right since the Apple II. Because Apple is world renowned innovator.

Google is the best search company in the world. But it has never been recognized as an innovator.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    This book is very interesting. Almost everything in it about how and why google was started, is a flat-out white wash. If you like fantasy tales rather than reality, and are the type of person who rolls their eyes at the idea of truth, definitely give this a read.
  • Reply 37 of 88
    At least the original Android was available in white!
  • Reply 38 of 88
    Quote:

The more I think about it the more Schmidt looks to have done a Bill Gates on Steve. True betrayal. I can't understand why there isn't more vitriol in general directed at Schmidt, even before he stepped down from Apple's board.

But hey, what do I know about the big corporate world, which is starting to make less and less sense as I get older.
  • Reply 39 of 88
    Quote:

Actually, Steve keeps a longer list. I think it includes anyone who has ever written an unauthorized biography of him (they are all unauthorized, though Leander Kahney might be on his do-not-murder list), his ex-girlfriend Chris-Ann, his half-sister Mona Simpson, anyone he knows personally who has ever spoken to the press negatively about him, and those guys from Gizmodo who purchased the misappropriated iPhone 4 prototype...
  • Reply 40 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

It seems odd that android fans are vigorously defending Google stealing Apple multi-touch technology. Of course Apple did not patent multi-touch. But Apple implemented multi-touch different from the original multi-touch. So Apple did not steal multi-touch patent. This is true of the mouse.

What apple patented was a gesture in software, nothing more, nothing less. You can add it to the list of patents that never should have been granted in the first place.

Quote:

This reminds me of the IBM PC. IBM patented PC technology. Compaq assembled a team of engineers without any knowledge of IBM PC. This recreated the bios that IBM patented. But IBM could not sue Compaq.

You are confusing patents with copyright.

Quote:

Google, on the other hand, worked with Apple providing the Map application for the first iPhone. Google has inside knowledge of how Apple implemented multi-touch. Google Android team proceeded to copy Apple multi-touch technology bit by bit. This is called theft.

Seeing as how multi-touch was implemented by HTC, even before the iphone came out (but obviously got the idea when the iphone was demoed), and how multi-touch wasn't implemented until a generation after the Droid, your argument falls flat.