New book reveals Apple's Steve Jobs was targeted for role of Google CEO

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

3 people have betrayed Steve jobs in his lifetime.

First, it was Bill Gates, who stole the GUI elemnts from the Mac prototype codenamed "Sand" and used it on Windows.

True, but they should have worded their contract better.

Quote:

Then, it was John Sculley, who fired Jobs when Mac sales went down in 1985.

If what you are saying is true, that's not a betrayal, that's life.

Quote:

The third betrayer was Eric Schmidt, who lied to Jobs that Android wasn't going to compete with iPhone.

You mean Google said it wouldn't release a phone? Rumors of a Google phone predated the iphone by about a year.

Quote:

Steve Jobs doesn't understand the Art of War. He thinks everyone is nice and cozy, until it's too late. That's what I told him in my email.

Really?
  • Reply 42 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tania View Post

people tend to forget that this was what the real Android looked like:

So yeah, I'm not surprised Jobs was pissed.

edit- sorry for the large size, how do you change dimension with the BB tags?

Still propagating the myth are you? Please, inform us what form factor the G1 debuted with and where they got that from? Do tell.
  • Reply 43 of 88
    taniatania Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Still propagating the myth are you? Please, inform us what form factor the G1 debuted with and where they got that from? Do tell.

are you serious? you think that photo is a myth? either you've been living in a cave or you're a true bona fide troll as everyone here say.

here watch this straight from the horse's mouth, Google: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FJHYqE0RDg

this was what Google showed the world first before Android had a drastic makeover with similar UI from the iPhone. All conveniently after the first iPhone was demoed.

And HTC wasn't the first to have a multi-touch phone, they had a touchscreen phone but it wasn't multi-touch. Android didn't even have a true multi-touch phone until Eclair (Android V.2). Even the Palm Pre beat Android to it.

face reality, man. Get out of the Google fan bunker once in a while.
  • Reply 44 of 88
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

people tend to forget that this was what the real Android looked like:

LOL! That's Google alright. Look at the keyboard. It's Google TV remote control MK I.

Jobs must be pissed he let this unimaginative company copied his idea.
  • Reply 45 of 88
    Quote:

You mean pull his head out of G-ass?
  • Reply 46 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    For anyone who missed some of the details of the Apple/Google spat, from the NYTimes in April/2010

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/te...er=rss&emc=rss
  • Reply 47 of 88
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DominoXML View Post

I think this discussion is already a bit off because it's not so much about the fact that Google copied technology, but more about how they did it.

The main point is that Steve and the other Apple managers gave Google employees insights in new technology in trust within the scope of a partnership (friendship) in order to create a revolutionary combination of OS and services.

It turned out that the partner wasn't trustworthy, but used the knowledge to develop a competing product behind the scenes.

Some might call this a clever business strategy - I'd call it willful deception.

With such partners there's no need for enemies.

No one does betrayal and deception better than Steve Jobs.

Remember Motorola's Rokr phone and it's crippling 100 song limit? Guess who wrote the software?

“We wrote the iTunes software for that phone,” said Jobs. “We see it as something we can learn from. It was a way to put our toe in the water and learn something,” he said.

http://www.macworld.com/article/4705...jobsparis.html

15mos later apple announced the iPhone with no song limit except by it's capacity.
  • Reply 48 of 88
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
  • Reply 49 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Deleted because you admited Google copied iPhone. Bravo! That's a new low.
  • Reply 50 of 88
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

...raw, unrestrained competition has resulted in tons of innovation in this area.

As long as the govt. stays out, this will continue.

Right. Keep government out. Screw stop signs. The heck with speed limits. Courts? Who needs 'em? And since we're talking about property rights, eliminate trespassing laws. Yeah, you're on to something....

You anti-government guys tickle my funny bone. The more you talk, the less I need my XM comedy channel.

Nobodys gonna find the right solutions at either extreme
  • Reply 51 of 88
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

The govt. certainly didn't get in the way of MS's tablet creation efforts. And raw, unrestrained competition has resulted in tons of innovation in this area.

As long as the govt. stays out, this will continue.

Sounds equivolent to the economic/capitalistic laisse faire concept
  • Reply 52 of 88
    tipttipt Posts: 36member
    If we're on the subject of iPhone v. android or ios v. android. Well not really, but kind of. Then I to wonder about something. I was looking to find out about the various Android phones because if there was something better than iPhone, I'd buy that. What I discovered as I went to read some Android forums was that it was all about rooting your phone. If that is the case, then I don't understand what the argument is against the iPhone...can't you do that with the iPhone? Jailbreak?

If you jailbreak both an iPhone and an android phone, which one is better? Not that I'm looking to jailbreak...I'm not a jailbreak sort of person. So if the android is only great if you root it, then nevermind that. But doesn't the argument of open versus closed become moot?? I just don't get it.
  • Reply 53 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Steve Jobs may have feared about being betrayed from the beginning. Because this is the best explanation why he wants Apple products to be closed. Apple had been copied left and right since the Apple II. Because Apple is world renowned innovator.

Google is the best search company in the world. But it has never been recognized as an innovator.

I might be on the fence about the search part...some of the results for the past....ohh several months at least are questionable.

There is opportunity for a search company to take no. 1 spot I think because of how poorly Google has been getting at search. Nevermind the fact that Google keeps signing me out of my email. I don't know what is going on over at Google, but maybe they are spreading themselves too wide or getting lazy.
  • Reply 54 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Step back from the trees and the forest will show u that the Apple vs Google saga is nothing more than friends helping eachother avoid antitrust situations. There is no hatred between the 2 as if google never came out with android, Apple would've been the next Microsoft. They both need eachother

I don't understand the reference to "if google never came out with android, Apple would've been the next Microsoft". What are you talking about? There were other phones and smartphone and other companies. Apple would have been the next Microsoft what?
  • Reply 55 of 88
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How do you steal something that you've already paid for?

[...]

Yeah, people who couldn't ever create anything always say that.

Sigh - you might as well be talking to a brick wall. Either they are too lazy to connect the real dots, or they don't want to see them to connect them.

It's not like either excellent and spot-on point you make are new or revolutionary \
  • Reply 56 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DominoXML View Post

Some might call this a clever business strategy - I'd call it willful deception.

Yup!

And Google's sloppy and "rushed" (if you can claim over a year is rushed!) response to the iPad with Android 3 is pretty strong proof to back Jobs' claim that Google stole from them. If they had the chops to compete internally with their own resources and innovation, it shouldn't have taken them nearly as long and it shouldn't have been nearly as sloppy. It has to be a pretty big loss of face for Google to be withholding the 3.0 source code - it must be a real mess indeed...
  • Reply 57 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Nothing Google says is going to convince me that pinch-to-zoom, and all of the other touch-screen UI elements, was some kind of coincidence between iOS, Android, webOS, and now WP7. Everyone didn't just think it up at the same time.

Especially since, until after the iPhone shipped, all Android phones looked like carbon copy clones of blackberry's
  • Reply 58 of 88
    Quote:

His handlers wouldn't approve
  • Reply 59 of 88
    Quote:

are you serious? you think that photo is a myth? either you've been living in a cave or you're a true bona fide troll as everyone here say.

here watch this straight from the horse's mouth, Google: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FJHYqE0RDg

this was what Google showed the world first before Android had a drastic makeover with similar UI from the iPhone. All conveniently after the first iPhone was demoed.

And HTC wasn't the first to have a multi-touch phone, they had a touchscreen phone but it wasn't multi-touch. Android didn't even have a true multi-touch phone until Eclair (Android V.2). Even the Palm Pre beat Android to it.

First off, you didn't say what form factor the G1 debuted with.

Second, you are still falling for the logical fallacy that just because a prototype used a certain form factor doesn't mean that Android was limited to that form factor before and after launch. You have no proof that this would have been the only form factor to debut.
  • Reply 60 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Yup!

And Google's sloppy and "rushed" (if you can claim over a year is rushed!) response to the iPad with Android 3 is pretty strong proof to back Jobs' claim that Google stole from them. If they had the chops to compete internally with their own resources and innovation, it shouldn't have taken them nearly as long and it shouldn't have been nearly as sloppy. It has to be a pretty big loss of face for Google to be withholding the 3.0 source code - it must be a real mess indeed...

WTF are you talking about?