White iPhone video may show scrapped Exposé interface for iOS multitasking

Comments

• Reply 21 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KaptainK View Post

... Why not just support the WebOS implementation of flicking them off the top of the screen which is much more intuitive. ...

I'm not saying it isn't a good design, but I think you are wrong to call this "more intuitive."

How is it intuitive to flick something off screen? You don't know if you've deleted it, or just put it aside or what. And how do you get it back *onto* the screen? All of that stuff can probably be figured out buy the user over time, but it isn't "intuitive." It's an operation on an object with no feedback to the end user.

There is a reason Apple makes that silly little puff of smoke appear when you drag something off the dock. It tells the user what just happened.
  • Reply 22 of 140
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I hope Apple does something about how to close apps because sending apps in the background instead of closing them is a major source of instability for iOS. I think the home button should close apps and they need to find something else to send apps in the background for multitasking. To me iOS way to handle multitasking is very weak, and while on the subject so is itunes.

Most of the instability complaints in the app store reviews are related to people never closing down there apps in the multitasking bar.
  • Reply 23 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I hope Apple does something about how to close apps because sending apps in the background instead of closing them is a major source of instability for iOS. I think the home button should close apps and they need to find something else to send apps in the background for multitasking. To me iOS way to handle multitasking is very weak, and while on the subject so is itunes.

Most of the instability complaints in the app store reviews are related to people never closing down there apps in the multitasking bar.

In total agreement. It still ticks me off that none of my apps terminate by themselves. That I must click the home button, then double-click the home button again, then wade through the icons to find my app, then press and hold, and finally click on the app's X to terminate it. Stupid interface. Every single solitary app now needs a "close" button within the app. Or a new system wide function to terminate apps when closing them (as noted above).
  • Reply 24 of 140
    airikairik Posts: 1member
    Unrelated, I would love that Carbon Fiber Smart Case ... Looked pretty sweet! Also probably over priced.
  • Reply 25 of 140
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

In all fairness, the multi-tasking and the app switching are integrated together both in the current implementation and in this one.

I'm not sure there is any good reason (unless one is an Android fan and under the age of 15 or so), to keep harping on what 'true" multi-tasking is (versus app switching), or which of the various implementations of multi-tasking on mobile OS's is "really" multi-tasking. Can't we just agree that multi-tasking is just using more than one program at a time and that all the various implementations we see are "multi-tasking" in that sense?

Personally, the only thing I like about this implementation is that it leaves the "left-swipe from the home screen" open for other uses.

If this is in fact an early discarded multi-tasking implementation, I would guess the reason it didn't make the cut was that the little "windows" onto the apps are mostly blank and mostly don't give you a good idea of what program they are associated with or what will happen when you delete them. The current system leaves no doubt at all as to what's going on. You see a list of running apps, and you can delete them.

My biggest wish is for them to implement the four/five finger multi-tasking gestures, at least for the iPad. Double-clicking the home button is problematic and fails a lot.

I don't see any good reason why they shouldn't implement them like, yesterday.

No. iOS does not do multitasking. I multitask on my Droid a lot. It's good to preserve clear definitions for terms.
  • Reply 26 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

In all fairness, the multi-tasking and the app switching are integrated together both in the current implementation and in this one.

The only multitasking are the APIs Apple discussed and they are optional additions that devs can chose to include. The Fast App Switcher relays no information about which apps are still running in the background, it?s just a list of your apps in the order you last used them from left to right. You can test this by restarting your device then going to FAS. The same effect as accessing  » Recent Items on your Mac.
  • Reply 27 of 140
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I don't see how webOS has the be all to end all of app management systems. I agree its better than the current iOS system. But I wouldn't go as far as to say no one can come up with something better.

On top of that the interface guidelines in webOS are very different from iOS. Apple cannot suddenly introduce flicking gestures that break other interface guidelines that they've been following for four years.

Seeing that Apple is slowly adding functionality to iOS. We don't know what Apple is cooking up behind the scenes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Personally, because I think Palm (and now HP) nailed it. Why waste time, money and effort on doing something different just for the sake of being different? Note that I'm not talking about licensing the entire webOS system. Just pay a stipend to be able to copy the look and feel of the multitasking management bits.

• Reply 28 of 140
    Quote:

I'm not saying it isn't a good design, but I think you are wrong to call this "more intuitive."

How is it intuitive to flick something off screen? You don't know if you've deleted it, or just put it aside or what. And how do you get it back *onto* the screen? All of that stuff can probably be figured out buy the user over time, but it isn't "intuitive." It's an operation on an object with no feedback to the end user.

There is a reason Apple makes that silly little puff of smoke appear when you drag something off the dock. It tells the user what just happened.

I think it's more intuitive. I think the current method for terminating apps is stupid - and ugly.
  • Reply 29 of 140
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Technically, most apps are closed when they are put into the background. They only remain open if they are in the middle of doing something (loading a webpage, sending a text or email, uploading a photo, etc), and even then, they are only allowed a short amount of time before iOS closes them. Apps also use other methods to "stay open" without really being open and running constantly in the background.

They just seem to be open to the user, which is the point.
  • Reply 30 of 140
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou

]In total agreement. It still ticks me off that none of my apps terminate by themselves. That I must click the home button, then double-click the home button again, then wade through the icons to find my app, then press and hold, and finally click on the app's X to terminate it. Stupid interface. Every single solitary app now needs a "close" button within the app. Or a new system wide function to terminate apps when closing them (as noted above).

Come on! It’s been a year since it’s been introduced. You guys should know that FAS is not a list of running apps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

No. iOS does not do multitasking. I multitask on my Droid a lot. It's good to preserve clear definitions for terms.

iOS did multitasking from day one.
  • Reply 31 of 140
    Isn't the definition of multitasking the ability to perform multiple functions at the same time? Does iOS not do this?

Quote:

• Reply 32 of 140
    Quote:

Yes, iOS does indeed do multitasking. It's just a limited list of functions allowed to process in the background. I won't bicker if you want to talk about "true" multitasking, but iOS does multitask.
  • Reply 33 of 140
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

This is such an obvious fake, not sure why it is making the rounds. Know the biggest giveaway? There is no facetime button when he makes a phone call. It still has the hold button instead of it.

Hardly a giveaway. It's a pre-release version, it could easily be a version where FT wasn't included or finished.
  • Reply 34 of 140
    What are you talking about. Those apps are not running, they are just in a frozen state. Which is why some people complain that iOS cannot do real multitasking.

Quote:

In total agreement. It still ticks me off that none of my apps terminate by themselves. That I must click the home button, then double-click the home button again, then wade through the icons to find my app, then press and hold, and finally click on the app's X to terminate it. Stupid interface. Every single solitary app now needs a "close" button within the app. Or a new system wide function to terminate apps when closing them (as noted above).

• Reply 35 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

On top of that the interface guidelines in webOS are very different from iOS. Apple cannot suddenly introduce flicking gestures that break other interface guidelines that they've been following for four years.

Apple owns flicking gestures. They're the ones that pretty much showed the rest of the world what you could do with finger gestures. They can certainly use them in a different way than they already have. Geez, it seems like every week they come up with some new multi-fingered gesture to use for some function or other. Now use 5 fingers and 2 toes to flick left and bring up Dashboard (for example).
  • Reply 36 of 140
    Quote:

What are you talking about. Those apps are not running, they are just in a frozen state. Which is why some people complain that iOS cannot do real multitasking.

It's effing ugly, whether the apps are "running" or not. It's lazy programming on Apple's part. If the app isn't doing anything, Apple should automatically remove it from the list of apps.
  • Reply 37 of 140
    Quote:

Apple owns flicking gestures.

Obviously they do not own every possible combination of flicking gesture. Nowhere in iOS do you flick apps or pages off of the screen to erase them or move them somewhere else.

Quote:

They can certainly use them in a different way than they already have. Geez, it seems like every week they come up with some new multi-fingered gesture to use for some function or other. Now use 5 fingers and 2 toes to flick left and bring up Dashboard (for example).

They come up with new flicking gestures for new functions that iOS did not have before. They don't introduce flicking gestures that break or conflict with previous interface guidelines. This is especially crucial because developers are following Apple's interface guidelines in the functionality of their apps.
  • Reply 38 of 140
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Come on! It?s been a year since it?s been introduced. You guys should know that FAS is not a list of running apps..

The apps in the list are suspended or running depending on their background task functionality.

Skype = running

Internet Radio = running

Apple apps = running

Other apps are suspended and open to the last used screen not a default new launch state.

Also Facebook is running for notifications even when it is not in the list.

I know you know that.
  • Reply 39 of 140
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Something is going on with those frozen apps because any time I have a problem with an app not starting up properly or freezing up, all I have to do is go into the multitasking UI and kill the apps. After that, whatever app was giving me a problem works fine.
  • Reply 40 of 140
    Quote:

If the app isn't doing anything, Apple should automatically remove it from the list of apps.

If the app isn?t doing anything it should be removed from a list of recent apps? Does that really make sense to you?

If you have a problem with FAS then simply don?t use it, I don?t. I find fault with the speed compared to a single home button click and accessing an app which are all on the first page. The most I need is 3 presses (Home Button, the folder it resides, the app), whilst FAS is Home Button (2x), then the app, which may or may not require sliding the ribbon.