Apple's iPad 2 stock improves again, US orders now ship in 1-2 weeks

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
New iPad 2 orders placed through Apple's online store are now estimated to ship within one to two weeks, as availability of the popular touchscreen tablet continues to improve.

Shipping times of one to two weeks are not just limited to America. Other countries, including Canada, Mexico and Australia, also ship in the same timeframe. Apple's online stores in Europe, however, still estimate a wait of two to three weeks.

The improved shipping times are yet another sign that supply for the iPad 2 is catching up with demand. Since the device launched in the U.S. and 25 other countries around the world in March, Apple has seen huge demand for the second-generation device.

Wednesday's change to shipping times comes weeks after they improved to two to three weeks in early April. Prior to that, new buyers had to wait over a month for their iPad 2 to ship from Apple.

The improved shipping times also come as Apple has expanded retail availability of the iPad 2. On Sunday, some Toys R Us locations in the U.S. began selling Apple's tablet, and in late March, the iPad 2 went on sale at 500 stores owned by RadioShack.

This month, the iPad 2 is scheduled to launch in Hong Kong, Korea, and Singapore, as well as additional yet-unnamed countries. Like retail availability in the U.S., international expansion of the iPad 2 has occurred at a much faster pace than with the first-generation iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Sounds like the disruptions from the Japan disasters may have been overstated...

[edit] Either that or Apple has done a heroic job of locating and procuring what they need! I suppose it goes to show what a few billion on hand can make possible!
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Mine was just shipped this morning! Getting it on the 26th Cant wait!
  • Reply 3 of 23
    andyappleandyapple Posts: 152member
    How does anyone know this means supply is increasing? Perhaps after the initial rush demand is simply slacking off. (Though I would personally put more stock in the former proposition... Go Apple!)
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

How does anyone know this means supply is increasing? Perhaps after the initial rush demand is simply slacking off. (Though I would personally put more stock in the former proposition... Go Apple!)

That's expected, but they also must have had lots of backorderes to fill, and international launches, so that's probably a manufacturing improvement. Other manufacturers were probably more than happy to get Apple's contracts.

If demand lagged, all they'd have to do is launch it in China. Despite the cheap clones, there are more than enough people who could and would happily buy the iPad.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    How is it that we get tons of reports saying how supplies of components are constrained due to the situation in Japan yet this report says, essentially, the opposite? Am I missing something here?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    There should be a rapid improvement at some point. Right now, scalpers are still buying up large quantities and selling them on eBay for a premium. Once the lead time drops a bit more, there will be little reason to be scalping them on eBay, so the scalpers will stop buying - making the in-store availability better.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

How is it that we get tons of reports saying how supplies of components are constrained due to the situation in Japan yet this report says, essentially, the opposite? Am I missing something here?

Dude. Hedge funds use FUD to manipulate the stock and the stock market in general to earn money. Why you think AAPL went to 320 on Monday and it's at 343ish now. That's millions of dollars of profit driven by the manipulators. We should be at 370 already
  • Reply 8 of 23
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steveafb View Post

Dude. Hedge funds use FUD to manipulate the stock and the stock market in general to earn money. Why you think AAPL went to 320 on Monday and it's at 343ish now. That's millions of dollars of profit driven by the manipulators. We should be at 370 already

The concept of "should be" does not exist in the markets. The balance of your argument seems to be that a federal crime is being committed whenever a stock does something that you don't like or expect.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

How does anyone know this means supply is increasing? ...

Simply count the number of neighbors chomping at the bit for their order, or people in airport waiting areas who turn green w envy. Then mulitply that number by, oh say, something between 250,000 to 1,000,000 units.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    robbyarobbya Posts: 1member
    After hearing this news I went to check on my order status... I placed my order March 29th. They've DELAYED my iPad arrival from April 26th to April 28th. I almost wonder if I cancel and order a new one now it would get here faster...
  • Reply 11 of 23
    This is mostly because there's more and more countries selling iPad2 recently and China/India no longer need shippments from the US blackmarket, so the "demand" dropped.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robbya View Post

After hearing this news I went to check on my order status... I placed my order March 29th. They've DELAYED my iPad arrival from April 26th to April 28th. I almost wonder if I cancel and order a new one now it would get here faster...

I wouldn't. I just checked Apple.com and it still shows 2-3 weeks except for the 16GB AT&T 3G version.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Good news on the improved availability and shipment.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The concept of "should be" does not exist in the markets. The balance of your argument seems to be that a federal crime is being committed whenever a stock does something that you don't like or expect.

Well, his answer wasn't exactly what I was looking for but what he says does happen. Jim Cramer is on record saying AAPL is the perfect specimen for stock manipulation.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ipulation.html

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/0...mation-engine/
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

How does anyone know this means supply is increasing?

It's called supply and demand. Usually when supplies increase to meet demand, the increased availability allows for shorter ship times.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Well, his answer wasn't exactly what I was looking for but what he says does happen. Jim Cramer is on record saying AAPL is the perfect specimen for stock manipulation.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ipulation.html

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/0...mation-engine/

Cramer is a TV performer, credibility near zero in my book. The only agreement I have with him is that stock manipulation is a federal crime. That's true for sure. So if someone is going to make that accusation, tell me who manipulated which stock, specifically, and how they profited. Then tell me why if this is known the SEC isn't on it. Otherwise, all I'm really hearing is that unexplained stock price movements have to be the product of a conspiracy.

As anyone who's invested in AAPL for any period of time already knows, this is a volatile issue to hold. It moves rapidly on momentum, both up and down. Momentum is not a stock fundamental, it's an emotion. Also, the movements that seem so huge to some may not be as dramatic as they appear. For a stock trading over $300, a 5% move is $15. A 5% move over any given week or even day isn't that unusual.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robbya View Post

I was feeling sorry for myself til I saw your posting. My shipping date is still Apr 25th, I ordered the same day as you.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    The demand for this device still amazes me... I find it hard to believe that there is still a waiting list for these devices

I like my iPad and it has been a good tool for me. I use it as a electronic note pad, white board ( with VGA projector), Calendar, and web browser. I need to look up technical notes from a knowledge base all of the time...
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I ordered mine on 4/6 when the shipping was 2-3 weeks. My status says it will ship on the 27th and I should get it on the 28th. After seeing the new ship date changed to 1-2 weeks, I decided to call Apple. They said they are currently updating all on line orders and it will take 24hrs to update the status.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    tdubyatdubya Posts: 1member
    In London.

We ordered our iPads on the 30th March. Still has a delivery date of 3rd May.

That's a long time to wait for something - regardless of if it's something you're keen to get your hands on or not.

I find it a bit hard to swallow that they can reduce the expected delivery dates for new customers - twice since we put our order in - and at the same time leave us hanging. We really could just put in a fresh order and get it delivered in the same amount of time. That strikes me as a bit rude if I'm honest.

And it doesn't seem to be a first come, first delivered situation either. I've been looking - people have been getting deliveries for the same model quicker. Lucky them.

It's made more irritating by the fact this is an expensive product akin to fashion, that will be refreshed in 11 months. In effect, we've lost a months worth of use, while others have been getting theirs delivered.

In short - grrrrrrrrr