iPad retains 74% tablet market share as Apple sits among top 5 PC vendors

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's iPad accounted for 74 percent of tablet shipments in the first quarter of 2011, as combined Mac and iPad sales made Apple one of the top five PC vendors in the world by volume.

Research firm Canalys revealed on Thursday its estimated PC shipments for the first quarter of calendar 2011. Apple ranked fourth in the three-month frame with total combined iPad and Mac shipments of 8.5 million.

Apple's sales were good for 9.5 percent of the global market, and represented a whopping 187.9 percent year over year increase, thanks largely to the success of the iPad.

The iPad remained the dominant tablet in the market in the first quarter, accounting for 74 percent of all devices shipped. Apple's market dominance came even as the company reported slower than expected sales of 4.69 million iPads last quarter, as production of the in-demand iPad 2 began to ramp up.

Canalys noted that the full impact of the iPad 2 launch won't be realized until subsequent quarters are completed, as it launched in the latter part of the previous quarter and stock was extremely limited.

"Taking into consideration the iPad's 'halo effect' on the company's other products, Apple has grown considerably in most markets worldwide," Canalys Analyst Tim Coulling said. "As the iPad 2 and its competitors continue to roll out, we expect pad sales to propel PC market growth for the rest of the year."

The firm recently conducted a survey that found most tablet owners use the device like a PC rather than a media player or e-book readers. The most common uses for a tablet -- which Canalys refers to as "pads" -- are Web browsing, e-mail and messaging, and social networking.

"This broad usage pattern reinforces the pad's role as a general-purpose computing device, and much more than just a consumption device," Coulling said. "The pad represents a real threat to PC and consumer electronics vendors, as it is capable of replacing devices in a range of other categories."

Combined Mac and iPad sales put Apple ahead of Lenovo, which shipped 8.2 million units and earned a 9.2 percent share. Lenovo posted 17 percent year over year growth.

Apple lagged behind rival Dell, which took third place with 10 million units shipped. Dell's PC business grew 2.8 percent year over year, and accounted for 11.3 percent of global PC shipments.

The top global PC vendor for the first quarter of 2011 was HP, which shipped 14.7 million units and took a 16.6 percent market share. In second was Acer, with 11.3 million shipped PCs and a 12.8 percent share. Both leaders saw their sales slip year over year.

Apple's share in the first quarter of 2011 did slip from the end of 2010, when Canalys said that Apple was the No. 3 global PC maker. Including the iPad gave Apple an astounding 241 percent year over year growth during the holiday period.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    74% ... I expected so.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    I can see this...when I get my iPad2 I will convert and simplify all my sales documents and charts so I can update them on my iPad2 anywhere and anytime. A little extra work to effect the changes, but well worth it in time savings down the road!

It certainly has changed my mind as to buying an 11" MBA. I may just save the money and go SCUBA diving instead!

My iP4, an iPad2 and my old original intel iMac and I'm good to go.

Simplify:

My iP4 allowed me to sell my camera, not buy a GPS unit (TomTom App), give away my iPods to my nieces and not buy a video camera.

Looks like the iPad2 may allow me not to buy a laptop, too!

Go Apple!
  • Reply 3 of 46
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    74%... Below three quarters... Droidtards around the world rejoice!
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

74% ... I expected so.

I guess the other 26% are used to being laughed at by their GF's. That is, the ones that have GF's.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

74% ... I expected so.

That's only the shipment number. Actual sale through is the one we want to know.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I guess the other 26% are used to being laughed at buy their GF's. That is the ones that have GF's.

I would think at least half of that 26% are still sitting in distributor warehouses.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

That's only the shipment number. Actual sale through is the one we want to know.

There you go. I thought it seemed low!
  • Reply 8 of 46
    No surprise. Saw the Playbook. It was better than the slew of no name 7" tablets at the bottom of the market, but there's no software, and I just don't see the value proposition. It's not a replacement for the iPad in any sense. In fact, it's just like an overgrown Creative Labs video player with the addition of a touchscreen and WiFi. I was going to call it a "giant iPod Touch, minus the iPod"
  • Reply 9 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Canalys gets it.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    This means that competitors sold 1.5 million tablets in the first quarter (before PlayBook even arrived). I don't believe that.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    I just got my iPad 2 64GB WiFi couple of days ago and I am loving it

It sits on my living room table and I love the convenience of picking up the tablet, checking my mail, reading the news all in a matters of seconds. No need for dragging my laptop and my charger around the place... I am going on a vacation in couple of months, and I dont think I'll be bringing my laptop this time around.

I purchased Filterstorm Pro which will help me edit my photos and upload them to flickr. I am as excited as a little kid in a candy store
  • Reply 12 of 46
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

This means that competitors sold 1.5 million tablets in the first quarter (before PlayBook even arrived). I don't believe that.

No, it means they "shipped" them. Shipment numbers are basically meaningless, if the product, like so many of these "competitors" isn't selling.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, it means they "shipped" them. Shipment numbers are basically meaningless, if the product, like so many of these "competitors" isn't selling.

The headline says "market share" and here is the generally accepted definition of that term: "sales revenue (from that market) divided by the total sales revenue available in that market"
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:

The headline says "market share" and here is the generally accepted definition of that term: "sales revenue (from that market) divided by the total sales revenue available in that market"

Around here people think marketshare can only relate to the number of units and can’t be measured as a share of the revenue for the market.

Just to be clear the Canalys spreadsheet does list shipments.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:

Exactly. There's no way that one in four tablets out in the users' hands is some Droid thing. It may get there some day, but it's most certainly not there today.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

I would think at least half of that 26% are still sitting in distributor warehouses.

Sitting smoothly.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Anyone surprised by this? Like it or not, the iPad is what all other tablets are aspiring to be.

That said, can someone please take the current iOS notification system out back and shoot it? Seriously. Just steal one from another vendor, everyone else steals from Apple often enough. Or hire the guy who made MobileNotifier.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:

I agree. AI needs to fix the headline and call it 'shipment share' instead of 'market share.'
  • Reply 19 of 46
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Canalys? Who the F is Canalys? They are obviously incompetent. There isn't a single viable or successful alternative to the iPad out there and Apple only has 74% market share? That is absolutely impossible. Where do these idiots come from?
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Urinal Mint View Post

Anyone surprised by this? Like it or not, the iPad is what all other tablets are aspiring to be.

That said, can someone please take the current iOS notification system out back and shoot it? Seriously. Just steal one from another vendor, everyone else steals from Apple often enough. Or hire the guy who made MobileNotifier.

From June 9th 2010:
    One of the key players in creating Palm's WebOS mobile operating system, a man who designed its non-intrusive notification system, is now Apple's Senior User Interface Designer.