Microsoft reports quarterly revenues, earnings below Apple

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

But in every market where Microsoft have ever had any significance Microsoft still made more money than Apple.

And your also saying the company that just set the world record for the fastest selling consumer electorics device has lost significance

The fastest selling consumer device brought MS about $200 million in sales. And the significance of that to MS's financials is trivial. It will always be trivial. It's an accessory, a controller, with a built in audience of XBox owners.

How about discussing KIn sales, or WP 7 sales, or how well they did in online search.

If you self define something, you can make it look as good as you want to. But it's self defeating.
  • Reply 142 of 143
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The fastest selling consumer device brought MS about $200 million in sales

Whoever measures those sales needs to qualify it more. Kinect sales were impressive, but as you note it?s not a huge gain for MS and compared to pretty much every other non-accessory CE the longevity of the Kinect?s sale potential is short lived.

It may have beat the iPad during there respective first month or two on the market, but what does it look like after 6 months or a year? I see pretty much every other product growing not fizzling out so while I think the Kinect shows MS isn?t insignificant they need to have more than flash-in-the-pan products if they ever want to regain a positive mindshare.
  • Reply 143 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Whoever measures those sales needs to qualify it more. Kinect sales were impressive, but as you note it?s not a huge gain for MS and compared to pretty much every other non-accessory CE the longevity of the Kinect?s sale potential is short lived.

It may have beat the iPad during there respective first month or two on the market, but what does it look like after 6 months or a year? I see pretty much every other product growing not fizzling out so while I think the Kinect shows MS isn?t insignificant they need to have more than flash-in-the-pan products if they ever want to regain a positive mindshare.

The Kinect is interesting, and it will be improved. It seems to have caught MS by surprise. At first, when people began hacking it for use with a PC and then, Macs, MS told them that they couldn't do that. They were looking at it solely as a sales instrument for the XBox and software line. Then they wised up, and now are offering an SDK for it. I think it could be useful, but I don't see them selling 40 million a year, as it's too specialized.