Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Developer Preview 3 dials down animated tabs

2456

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 112
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post


    And when will they replace the three tiny buttons in the ULC of a window with something easier to click?



    Mayhaps?







    It's too Windows 7-y.
  • Reply 22 of 112
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    The stoplights are just fine as is imho, by virtue of them being colorful (hint, hint) they can be small yet easily noticeable.



    Let's make these grey too guys.
  • Reply 23 of 112
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post


    The stoplights are just fine as is imho, by virtue of them being colorful (hint, hint) they can be small yet easily noticeable.



    Let's make these grey too guys.



    FTL problems?
  • Reply 24 of 112
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member
    I dislike these changes. The tabs "read" backwards to me. In the example the author included the darker tabs look deselected, but they are actually the selected ones.
  • Reply 25 of 112
    ngmapplengmapple Posts: 117member
    You do all realize Apple is trying to make Mac OS X touch friendly? I'm surprised no one is saying that outright but it's clear that's what they're doing. This means hardware is soon to follow in the form of Macs with touch screens. The Macs unlike the iOS devices will keep traditional input devices as well.
  • Reply 26 of 112
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,589member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I for one will miss the slider effect. It was simple and elegant. I do wish they would at least allow an option to get rid of that faux leather look in iCal and have a less gimmicky Address Book design.



    Agree. The slider effect looks nice. Certainly the selected tab ought to be lighter with dark text, the unselected with a darker background. This works with the slider concept and is the cleanest and in my view clearest way of presenting the tab choice. Having the selected tab darker looks wrong to me though I guess it makes sense following a depressed button concept. But I am happy either way - I am happy to go along with the design changes the Apple designers conjure up - or pare down as the case may be.



    The faux leather and pseudo paper address book pages must go, however. Design ebbs and flows and feeds off past forms and norms, but the faux stuff is just naff. And very fucking ugly.
  • Reply 27 of 112
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,589member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ngmapple View Post


    You do all realize Apple is trying to make Mac OS X touch friendly? I'm surprised no one is saying that outright but it's clear that's what they're doing. This means hardware is soon to follow in the form of Macs with touch screens. The Macs unlike the iOS devices will keep traditional input devices as well.



    I don't understand why people keep insisting that future macs will have touch screens. It makes no sense and they wont.
  • Reply 28 of 112
    maltzmaltz Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post


    It's a slider for Christ sake. How hard can it be.



    They don't even use sliders for that purpose in iOS. Why would you used a slider to select a tab on a mouse-based interface? My complaint is not that it's hard to figure out, it's that a slider is unnecessarily different than what you expect without adding any ease-of-use. In fact, I would argue that it's actually LESS convenient to use.



    Button: Position mouse over desired tab. Click.



    Slider: Position mouse over current tab. Click and hold. Drag mouse to desired tab. Release mouse button.



    I'm also really glad to see the iOS scroll bars go away. I like the scroll bars to be present at all times on screens that have the space to display them. It's nice that they auto-hide on an iPhone, but on a Mac, I want to be able to see at a glance how far into a document I am.



    The iPhone interface is amazing... for a small, phone-sized screen. I'm happy to see Apple realizing that the interface on a computer and the interface on a tablet/phone should NOT be the same.
  • Reply 29 of 112
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    It makes no sense and they wont.



    Sure it does. They bring back iMac G4 design (to a certain degree), so you can adjust display position to a more touch friendly. So at least for an iMac it makes a lot of sense, just a problem of making OS more touch friendly.
  • Reply 30 of 112
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post


    FTL problems?



    huh? trying to be snarky again? come on, don't make me click to the ignore list settings..
  • Reply 31 of 112
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maltz View Post


    Slider: Position mouse over current tab. Click and hold. Drag mouse to desired tab. Release mouse button.



    What? Just move a mouse to a wanted position and click. How hard can it be. Drag and hold, really? it's same old tab Ui just with animation.
  • Reply 32 of 112
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post


    huh????



    AKA Hyperdrive. Rings a bell?
  • Reply 33 of 112
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    Agree. The slider effect looks nice. Certainly the selected tab ought to be lighter with dark text, the unselected with a darker background. This works with the slider concept and is the cleanest and in my view clearest way of presenting the tab choice. Having the selected tab darker looks wrong to me though I guess it makes sense following a depressed button concept. But I am happy either way - I am happy to go along with the design changes the Apple designers conjure up - or pare down as the case may be.



    The faux leather and pseudo paper address book pages must go, however. Design ebbs and flows and feeds of past forms and norms, but the faux stuff is just naff. And very fucking ugly.



    they sure are.
  • Reply 34 of 112
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,589member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post


    Sure it does. They bring back iMac G4 design (to a certain degree), so you can adjust display position to a more touch friendly. So at least for an iMac it makes a lot of sense, just a problem of making OS more touch friendly.



    We have been over this so many times....

    Instead of them bringing out an imac with a touch screen, just put an ipad on a stand and voila!

    I agree a touch screen 27" iMac could work for some people and probably be 'just perfect' but it is too niche and too expensive. I can't see it ever happening. So no - I don't think it makes any sense.
  • Reply 35 of 112
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post


    AKA Hyperdrive. Rings a bell?



    not really, I don't see where you are going with this.



    this hyperdrive sure looks good though, more than good, great, thanks for the heads up honestly, is there a catch?



    //edit: are you referring to the brit sitcom not the actual drive? still don't get it...
  • Reply 36 of 112
    cmayercmayer Posts: 1member
    I really like the new look. I think Mac OS is long due for a interface change, and removing the weird blue bubbly stuff helps it look cleaner. However, I do agree that Apple should decide what they're trying to design. The new calendar and address book definitely do not fit in with the new aqua changes. I don't think Mac OS should be like iOS. I think they should work on new innovative productivity tools like they did with Spaces in Leopard. Yes, iOS is successful, but it's not a desktop operating system.
  • Reply 37 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post


    AKA Hyperdrive. Rings a bell?



    At this point posting a link or detailed definition would be apropos.
  • Reply 38 of 112
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    At this point posting a link or detailed definition would be apropos.



    oh ok, I get it, sorry I am not a big scifi fan, not at a sci fi fan at all to be precise.



    lol, at least I got this



    http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-s/119.htm



    out of it, which looks really great for my ipad, and just what I was looking for!
  • Reply 39 of 112
    tonjiktonjik Posts: 3member
    see #41
  • Reply 40 of 112
    tonjiktonjik Posts: 3member
    First of all, thanks AI for live Lion development coverage!



    The use of black and grey everywhere makes the UI dull.

    Saying they got inspired by iOS, it is not completely correct. When I browse my iPhone and its default apps, only some of them have black and grey icons (gallery and clock) whilst other have blueish UI (mail, settigs...). And it is refreshing not to see the same black-grey whole day. So they got inspired by some selected apps and extrapolated the UI over whole system...



    Full screen - I welcome it, as a switcher i ve never got used to the traffic lights which behave strange to me.



    iCal - the fake leather is awful.



    Removing of the blue tones from switches makes the UI more confusing - its step back. Its okay in iOS where you have simple small screens, but as you can see from the screenshots in the article, when you try to use it on structured form with frames, it becomes less intuitive.



    iOS-like scroll bars - i like it and prefer to have them switched on all the time.
Sign In or Register to comment.