Apple again sued over iPhone location data, personal information

Comments

• Reply 61 of 122
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Anyone who access your computer can access the data. This would include things like trojan horse software. Someone accessing that data is how this first caught the public eye. http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/ And it's why Apple stopped backing up the data to the computer.

No that's stupid. What computer doesn't have someone's personal information on it. Next thing you know browsers like Mozilla are going to be sued because they store the history of where you went on the internet.
  • Reply 62 of 122
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Congress is wasting time on bull shit when people are still out of work.
  • Reply 63 of 122
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

No it just shows that some people in the department of justice are lazy. If they can pass off IP addresses as evidence they can easily railroad people. It is sort of like convicting somebody for murder because use they were the last person to see the victim alive.

Now obviously the juries are a problem here as they frankly often bend over for the prosecution. The problem as I see it is that the department of justice is acting in an unethical manner. In effect they are ignoring spoofing methods and a lot of other techniques that can be used to blame somebody else for illegal activities.

Well, I thank you for recognizing the distinction between me claiming something and me repeating what the DoJ claimed.

Quote:

Nothing has been uncovered. Some of this stuff has been supported in the SDK since day one. Is it right. Well something's should be changed but you need to realize that Apple has been improving security constantly in iOS. Even with this effort it will never be 100% secure.

People having been killing people since day one. That doesn't imply the law should legalize murder.

As for expecting perfection, I don't. See post #27 http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...7&postcount=27

Quote:

As to the government please don't be so damn gullible. The last thing we need is another thousand pages of legislation that does very little other than to make the unknowing feel good.

Thanks, but on this issue, I prefer to remain gullible. From what I saw from the hearings, I think they are headed in the right direction and there is a genuine void in the law that needs to be filled. Several actually.

Quote:

Frankly I don't understand your tone and emotion in this manner. You act like there is a major problem here. There is but it isn't with Apple but rather with people like you over reacting and not understanding all the issues involved.

No, the problem definitely lies with Apple and Google. Their policies and practices will have to change. There will be laws passed to ensure this happens.

They can be proactive and help Congress write the best laws it can, or they can have Congress write the laws and dictate what their behavior will be going forward. That is the choice.
  • Reply 64 of 122
    plokoonpmaplokoonpma Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What is an 'Apple consultant'? (Serious question).

Is someone with deep knowledge about the products Apple offer, also how to repair hardware and/or trained on Apple software. Knowledge of terms of service including privacy.

I can advise companies and governments about Apple products and how integrate and deploy them.

I don't have many certifications (expensive) but among the ones I have:

ACMT Apple Certified Macintosh Technician

ACSA Apple Certified System Administrator

Lots of training on different products ranging from iLife to xsan
  • Reply 65 of 122
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:

I'm just going to address this part, because the rest is going around in circles. It matters not at all if you choose to believe my previous posts. What you and I think is irrelevant. From this point on, all that matters is what governments will do regarding this issue.

This is not a matter of believing or not believing you, I simply disagree with most of what you say, except for the fact that Apple should have done more to secure the location cache. We can sit here all day exchanging our positions on this topic, but you are not going to convince me whatever you say. I've been fascinated with this whole location database thing (mostly from a technical perspective, personally I've lost the illusion of having any privacy in the first place long ago), and I think I know almost all the angles here. I'm not interested in the whole legal game that is played around it, just in the ACTUAL, REAL-WORLD, PRACTICAL implications of this issue. My judgement is that there are none, and that the best thing that could happen is if everyone just stopped with the nonsense and just went on with their lives. Apparently I can't convince you either.

The only thing I can say about this, is that the lawsuit and the fuss about this issue are ludicrous and hypocritical, and that nothing about this is actually about privacy. The fact that so many people go nuts over this, and pretend there really is a privacy issue here that you should care about is actually pretty sad if you ask me. It only distracts from real privacy issues, such as giving up your first-born just to board a flight into the US, getting sued because your IP address is flagged as a pirate, the government wiretapping as if it's day-to-day business (2 million times a year where I live, in a country of 16 million), devices in my car that track my every movement so I can get taxed based on where I drive at what time, etc. A stupid location cache that is mostly useless for tracking anything, or the fact that my phone sends anonimized data about cell towers near me, really is the least of my concerns.
  • Reply 66 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

No that's stupid. What computer doesn't have someone's personal information on it. Next thing you know browsers like Mozilla are going to be sued because they store the history of where you went on the internet.

There is a distinction between having personal information on a computer and having personal information that is publicly known to be in a given location, in a given format, and to contain specific information, placed there without your knowledge or consent.

Again, all these attempts to claim Apple was doing the right thing are futile. Apple admitted it made a mistake and has already corrected it. The issue now are the other mistakes it's making.
  • Reply 67 of 122
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I just want to address a couple of parts of your post.

First, no, it is not in the user agreement. Apple's policy is developers cannot access that data. When they discover someone who does, they require that they stop doing it. As to who Apple should report them to, at the very least Apple should inform their customers who've had their data stolen.

You don't know what you are talking about. I'd suggest downloading the SDK but I'm not sure you would grasp what you are reading. In short though Apple provides routines for developers to use to access specific data stores, it has been like that for ages.

Quote:

Here you are mixing privacy from the government with privacy from corporations. They are not at all the same thing. With as much power as the government has to invade your privacy, it pales to the powers corporations have. Basically, there are very few rules governing corporations in this area and most of the rules that do exist are out-dated. A big part of the Congressional hearings dealt with the best way to correct this situation.

Privacy is privacy and doesn't come in degrees.

Quote:

If you really care about this issue, and it seems you do, I'd recommend watching the entire hearing. It's here: http://cspan.org/Events/Congress-Loo...10737421417-1/

What I care about right now is refuting the crap you are posting. Honestly you need to put a few more brain cells to work on this.

Quote:

Even with today's weak laws, this is not true. Specifically, if a company states their privacy policy is XYZ and it turns out that's not the case, they can be prosecuted.

I'm pretty much convinced you don't grasp the reality of what is possible and what is wishful thinking. Frankly if you can't see the political motivation in these hearings you are grossly out of touch. If there was any honesty at all in congress they would be after Microsoft with a vengeance. Really which platform has leaked more personal information over the years. All that is happening here is that a few lawyers want a piece of Apples cash hord. If the lawyers and the fools in congress where interested in the safety of personal information the only party with a really poor track record here is MicroSoft, they however have been left out of the party thus you really should be asking why.

Sadly at this point I don't think there is much good in continuing this conversation. You seem to have fallen under the spell of people rehashing things that have been known for years now and don't grasp what is being said in this forum.
  • Reply 68 of 122
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

There is a distinction between having personal information on a computer and having personal information that is publicly known to be in a given location, in a given format, and to contain specific information, placed there without your knowledge or consent.

Again, all these attempts to claim Apple was doing the right thing are futile. Apple admitted it made a mistake and has already corrected it. The issue now are the other mistakes it's making.

There has to be a 100 million people laughing at you right now. This is beyond belief.
  • Reply 69 of 122
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    I have to say guys you're not giving magicj a very fair hearing. Some of what he says is a little silly but he makes some very good points. He's not vitriolic, he's just pointing out that Apple stuffed up on consolidated.db and that he isn't happy with how data is currently looked after by iOS. He has that right.

It would help if those labelling anyone with a different opinion to theirs 'ignorant' would at least first learn to use English properly. Some very poorly written sniping on this thread and it only makes the insulter look foolish.
  • Reply 70 of 122
    Quote:

There has to be a 100 million people laughing at you right now. This is beyond belief.

I think he's under the impression that someone clever enough to hack into his computer, would be completely lost once he got in.

"Wow I'm in, now what the f*k should I do? What are all these things called 'Program Files', 'My Documents', 'My Personal Settings' and what should I do with them?? Damn, crap, this is all to complicated, let's just get the iPhone location database instead, because at least I know that's supposed to be in <insert insanely long path full of cryptic stuff that is different on every iTunes installation>!"

• Reply 71 of 122
    Quote:

What I care about right now is refuting the crap you are posting. Honestly you need to put a few more brain cells to work on this.

The crap I'm posting is taken from the testimony given to Congress. In particular, the part about how Apple handles breeches in access to a customer's contact data was given by Apple's Bud Tribble.

So I've given you the link to the testimony. Take some time and watch it. In the meantime, I'm going to add you to ignore for a bit to give you a chance to calm down.
  • Reply 72 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

I think he's under the impression that someone clever enough to hack into his computer, would be completely lost once he got in. "Wow I'm in, now what the f*k should I do? What are all these things called 'Program Files', 'My Documents', 'My Personal Settings' and what should I do with them?? Damn, crap, this is all to complicated, let's just get the iPhone location database instead!"

I think I'm under the impression that there's a difference between a fishing expedition and going right to predefined data placed on the computer without the user's consent.

Edit:

And, for the umpteenth time, there's no point in arguing this. Apple has admitted they were wrong and removed the file.
  • Reply 73 of 122
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

I think that these privacy discussions are good but for crying out loud, so much of our personal information is out there now, and has been for years. This is not an Apple only issue, like some are trying to make it. Sadly money grabbers are trying to paint evil scenarios and trying to cash in. I'm not saying that Apple cannot do better and I believe that they will, but I don't think that they are doing anything terrible here and I certainly don't believe that they are taking liberties with your info that other companies have had for years.

For example, I get points towards groceries every time I use my MasterCard. They know what I like to buy and how often. From this data they can roughly determine my sex, age, how many people live in my house etc. Your internet provider knows how much time you spend online, where you go and what you download. I'm sure every purchase that is made with a card is recorded and kept. They know how often I travel and where I like to go. Where I get my car serviced. Who my dentist is. I'm betting that info has likely been sold many times over.

As I said, these discussions are good, but people need to stay reasonable. If we go crazy over our personal information, then be prepared to deal in cash and use no mobile electronic devices, use no points programs or options cards, no web surfing, web searches, web purchases. Even that won't guarantee that you don't leave some sort of breadcrumbs.

Good post!

Here's another development that is in the works, and has been discussed over the years:

The desire by governments all over the world, to discontinue the production and distribution of paper monies and coinage, for assorted reasons, but most of all (as they say) to finally beat down tax-cheats and illegal (drugs, weapons dealers, terrorist) activities.

Even though it "could be" a huge savings and certainly effective, the complete "tracking" of every penny you spend and where, is definitely worth worrying about.
  • Reply 74 of 122
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:

Anyone who access your computer can access the data. This would include things like trojan horse software. Someone accessing that data is how this first caught the public eye. http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/ And it's why Apple stopped backing up the data to the computer.

In other news, people shocked to find out anyone who gained access to your wallet will be able to steal your money.
  • Reply 75 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

I have to say guys you're not giving magicj a very fair hearing. Some of what he says is a little silly but he makes some very good points. He's not vitriolic, he's just pointing out that Apple stuffed up on consolidated.db and that he isn't happy with how data is currently looked after by iOS. He has that right.

No that's not "just what he's pointing out". If he would have said "Apple should have been more careful with the location cache" and left it there, I would honestly agree with him. Instead, this topic has now been stuffed with pages full of zany accusations that Apple rapes your privacy, that it's damn right they are prosecuted for it, that all kinds of new privacy laws are needed, that people should be really worried about bad Apple and the way they think about your privacy, and so on.

Quote:

It would help if those labelling anyone with a different opinion to theirs 'ignorant' would at least first learn to use English properly. Some very poorly written sniping on this thread and it only makes the insulter look foolish.

It's spelled 'labeling', not 'labelling'. Did it ever occur to you not everyone here is a native english speaker?

You know what time it is when the grammar nazi's kick in, time to get out of this topic...
  • Reply 76 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

In other news, people shocked to find out anyone who gained access to your wallet will be able to steal your money.

Good point, but there is a difference. The computer has the ability to restrict access to data. For example, Google requires the user to approve access to a user's contact list. Apple doesn't.
  • Reply 77 of 122
    Quote:

I think I'm under the impression that there's a difference between a fishing expedition and going right to predefined data placed on the computer without the user's consent.

Edit:

And, for the umpteenth time, there's no point in arguing this. Apple has admitted they were wrong and removed the file.

Dude, of all the stuff installed on your PC, the location of your iTunes backup is probably one of the least predictable you can imagine. You have to dig about 10 levels deep in your iTunes folder to find it, and the path is different on every iTunes installation, since some of the path elements are based on GUIDs (if you even know what they are). Getting to your emails, your documents, your photo's, your address book, any data saved by applications, and so on, and so forth, it's either much easier, or exactly as easy. I have no idea why you are trying to make this point because makes no sense whatsoever.

The fact that Apple removed the file only shows that they acknowledge they messed up by not encrypting it by default, something I have't challenged a single time here.
  • Reply 78 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Instead, this topic has now been stuffed with pages full of zany accusations that Apple rapes your privacy, that it's damn right they are prosecuted for it, that all kinds of new privacy laws are needed, that people should be really worried about bad Apple and the way they think about your privacy, and so on.

Minus the hyperbole, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'd phrase it like this:

● Apple's is inept at properly handling even basic privacy concerns.

● In cases where Apple's practice do not match their policy, they can be and should be sued and/or Federal action should take place, either through updating laws, investigations from the appropriate executive branch authorities, or both.

● New privacy laws (plural) to protect consumers are not only needed, but are coming.

● Consumers should be concerned and, equally important, they should be informed. Watching the Congressional hearings is a great place to start. Listening to Apple Fanboys make an uninformed, weak sauce defense of their favorite company, not so much.
  • Reply 79 of 122
    Quote:

Minus the hyperbole, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'd phrase it like this:

● Apple's is inept at properly handling even basic privacy concerns.

● In cases where Apple's practice do not match their policy, they can be and should be sued and/or Federal action should take place, either through updating laws, investigations from the appropriate executive branch authorities, or both.

● New privacy laws (plural) to protect consumers are not only needed, but are coming.

● Consumers should be concerned and, equally important, they should be informed. Watching the Congressional hearings is a great place to start. Listening to Apple Fanboys make an uninformed, weak sauce defense of their favorite company, not so much.

This is last thing I'm going to say on this topic: you are now so obviously trying to stuff this topic with statements that serve no other purpose than to make Apple look bad, that I'm almost 100% sure you are a shill.

Your style of commenting, your non-sequitur arguments, and the fact that you obsessively try to make sure there are more of your posts saying negative things about Apple instead of trying to have an intelligent conversation based on arguments says it all. You are here to spread FUD, not because you care about privacy.
  • Reply 80 of 122
    plokoonpmaplokoonpma Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Good point, but there is a difference. The computer has the ability to restrict access to data. For example, Google requires the user to approve access to a user's contact list. Apple doesn't.

Ok buddy, tell me how you will get access to my contact info, cause I am not using it as screensaver, I am behind firewalls and lil snitch, the computer password protected and have a dog in my apartment.

My iPhone is locked almost all the time cause I use my bluetooth headset and the only 2 things i can connect to it is the headset and my main iMac.

Have no fishy app installed, my phone is not jailbroken.

Please tell me... \