Apple's 'Retail 2.0' overhaul launches first in Australia

Comments

• Reply 81 of 158
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Sure, but you're a bitter asshole that who literally never posted a single thing that wasn't belittling Apple, Apple's customers or this site, so why should we expect you to think anything else?

Now that we have established what he is, can we stop quoting the ENTIRE posts of not just him but all the other usual suspects?

Thanks!

You might be fine waisting you time with their ilk, but the only flaw in the forum software's ignore feature is with those that feed the trolls by quoting their ENTIRE post
  • Reply 82 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Yep. This huge circle jerk of iFans over this nothing announcement.

And yet your here posting too
  • Reply 83 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Maybe we should all just buy online. Oh wait, didn?t Bird Flu originate in China where their products are made?

You only have to worry if a mosquito flies out and bites you.

The upside is you would get to live in a cool bubble
  • Reply 84 of 158
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

I had never heard of McLean, Virginia. Looking it up on Wikipedia only shows a population just under 40k for th 2000 census. So why was this city chosen as the inaugural Apple Store?

I live 15 minutes from there. It's the retail capital of northern VA, which is one of the richest areas in the country. Tysons Corner is what most people would call it, but if you're from out of the area you probably wouldn't know about it. There are two very large malls that siphon off a lot of your tax money (having been paid out as salary and paid to contractors for the govt) in the city.
  • Reply 85 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

iPads cost signifcantly less than people though.

Shhhh, the unions will go nuts.
  • Reply 86 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

Seems like overkill but of course Apple don't have to pay retail for their iPads!

Opportunity cost. They do pay retail. Forgoing $600 in revenue.
  • Reply 87 of 158
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Partial quote

Quote:

"jerk of iFans".

That's a collective noun I've never heard!
  • Reply 88 of 158
    drx1drx1 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Nice glossy screens on those iPads - I assume they'll let you move them around so you can read them.

there is no such thing a 'nice reflective' display ... might as well get a mirror instead.
  • Reply 89 of 158
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Yep. And now every customer that uses one those germ transfer stations can delight in knowing any bug that the person that used it before them had is now living on their fingers. Progress indeed.

Quote:

Are you really that phobic about germs on a glass display? Note that all their other devices are glass covered and touchable, too. Note that in Western culture is customary to shake hands. Also note that not being exposed to germs will prevent you from building up natural immunities.

But remember, Mobile phones harbor 18 times more bacteria than a flush handle in a typical men's restroom.!

I have no doubt it's true, although I'm sure they're different germs. And I have no doubt that our society has problems because we're not exposed to as many germs these days. But helping people understand just how germy their touch screens are and how easily the germs are transferred is useful, especially when stuff like H1N1 is going around.

Quote:

Here is a fun video...

Both repulsive and cute at the same time!
  • Reply 90 of 158
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am assuming sarcasm here, if not I apologize and disregard my post. Many successes of Apple have 'been around'. Look at smart phones, tablet computers and MP3 players. Apple just have a way of doing things right and then everyone else catches on. Meanwhile I would like some info on the success stories you have showing touch displays being used in retail like this so as to compare.

Are you serious? Most cash registers are touch screen, just go to Rotten Ronnies and get a big mac. My supermarket up the street has 4 - 5 touch screen devices in the bakery, deli etc. You can order a cake using your finger, lots of options, or a deli tray. They have had this ability for about 5 years.
  • Reply 91 of 158
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

And yet your here posting too

Yep I am sitting in the circle but I am just watching the jerk fest.

I think this is nothing but advertising for the iPad and a way to track EVERYTHING you look at in the store. The paper before was not doing a great job at that. Good move on Apple's part but NOT a big deal at all.
  • Reply 92 of 158
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    We know how Microsoft emulates Apple... I wonder if they will remake their stores MS 2.0 and bring in a bunch of unused, unsold "Surface" tables to demo their software and product like the Windows 7 Phone?
  • Reply 93 of 158
    Quote:

Yep. This huge circle jerk of iFans over this nothing announcement.

Do they have a iPad next to a Shuffle? Did they run out of space now? I mean, Shuffle with iPad, Nano with iPad, Classic with iPad, Touch with iPad, Apple TV with iPad, iPad with iPad.....and on. Lots of space to take up.

Just be thankful this is not Microsoft revamping their stores and bringing in their "Surface" tables!

Quote:

Is this a green thing? You save paper but how much coal is being burned through out the world to power all of those iPads at all of the stores?

I'm sure it is about as Green as Obama Motor's - Chevy Volt - for the iDolt Greenies out there thinking they are saving the world!

Quote:

I hope the adjusted the lights above so the glare is not.....glaring

As overwhelmingly bright and witty as you, there is not a overhead light that can compare!

/

/

/
  • Reply 94 of 158
    Quote:

Are you serious? Most cash registers are touch screen, just go to Rotten Ronnies and get a big mac. My supermarket up the street has 4 - 5 touch screen devices in the bakery, deli etc. You can order a cake using your finger, lots of options, or a deli tray. They have had this ability for about 5 years.

Oh and what of those kiosks at the airport for booking flights and seating arrangements.

/

/

/
  • Reply 95 of 158
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Both repulsive and cute at the same time!

Isn’t it though? When I think about it it wasn’t that long ago when having to hunt squirrels and other game was fairly common practice and most human populations would have been around fresh kills.

Quote:

Yep I am sitting in the circle but I am just watching the jerk fest.

I think this is nothing but advertising for the iPad and a way to track EVERYTHING you look at in the store. The paper before was not doing a great job at that. Good move on Apple's part but NOT a big deal at all.

1) You’re saying you willing entered a circle just to be surrounded by guys whom you claim are jerking it?

2) Because the iPads for use on display weren’t capable of helping sales or that no other product in the Apple Store needs to be considered other than the iPad¡ Note that the iPad is still the item Apple can’t produce enough of to meet demand.

3) You think they are tracking what iPad kioskelles get the most usage? Maybe, it’s not a bad idea, but I’d think they could tell just by the way people hover around certain sections and by sales.

4) What about the other features they added to the kioskelles that the paper price and spec list wasn’t offering? Are those not necessary? I think the way to get an employee to your kioskelle in the chronological order in which you asked for assistance is efficient. I think employees and customers will like that addition.
  • Reply 96 of 158
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My thoughts on this are that is is brilliant for a few reasons. First, it could reduces the need for as many staff. Next, everyone will be trying out an iPad even if shopping for a MacBook Pro or an iPod Nano and lastly maybe Apple are demonstrating yet another use of an iPad. Perhaps other companies will invest in the custom versions of point of sale iPads. I can see them being used everywhere from museums and exhibitions to POS for just about any item sales staff have problems explaining (Best Buy anyone?).

I guarantee we will see RIM's tablet and Google's Android tablets suddenly appearing doing the exact same thing as those companies 'suddenly' have the exact same idea. I bet Microsoft are up early this morning planning their design for one too..

who needs to use tablets for this when multiple businesses have been using touchscreen based PC's for this? Even a local boutique furniture store uses a HP touchsmart to achieve the same benefit as the ipads in the applestore.

One of the bookstores uses a touch screen device, I am guessing a pC running a small touch panel, to provide customer information for book availability.
  • Reply 97 of 158
    beeman60beeman60 Posts: 52member
    I was in a store today and saw everything all the posters on this forum are talking about.

I think the 'real' reason for the iPad displays right next to every kind of apple product is to be able to show iCloud in action. I also think you need to have 2 systems side by side to be able to demonstrate the connectivity benefits of iCloud.

My 2 cents
  • Reply 98 of 158
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Saw some photos on Macstories.

So many wires, I wonder how Steve feels about this.

Yes, there are a lot of wires. Another reason to have custom built tables, not sure why they didn't.
  • Reply 99 of 158
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

who needs to use tablets for this when multiple businesses have been using touchscreen based PC's for this? Even a local boutique furniture store uses a HP touchsmart to achieve the same benefit as the ipads in the applestore.

One of the bookstores uses a touch screen device, I am guessing a pC running a small touch panel, to provide customer information for book availability.

There are plenty of touch screens that have been in use for decades but that doesn?t mean they offer the same experience. If you?re doing a lot of tapping a vertically placed display isn?t going to work out well. Plus, I seem to recall the touch screens in retail have been very poorly made resistive, not capacitive.

And what about the software? I can see a furniture store have iPads in use so they can show customers options and prices whilst sitting on the furniture they are considering buying instead of having to go to some other part of the store. How about a car dealership? I don?t think HP Touchsmart works well for customer roaming a lot full or cars or test drive.

Other stores could check to see items in stock or at others locations. I bet one of these iPads in a proper kiosk stand would be a lot cheaper than an HP Touchsmart or the computer terminals used in bookstores.

And lets not forget the human touch with employees with these mobile devices instead of the customer seeking out the kiosk. I can see a need for both in all sorts of environments.
  • Reply 100 of 158
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Not at all.

It should be fairly obvious that this use of an iPad applies to a lot more retail outlets than the 300, or so, Apple stores.

There are other costs -- wiring, special cases, installation, maintenance...

But look at it from a retailer's perspective,

The retailer pays a minimum-wage employee $10 per hour or $400 per week. The retailer also matches most of the "withholding" benefits that are deducted from the employee's paycheck, plus other benefits, overhead, hiring costs.

It is not unreasonable to assume that it cost the retailer double what he pays the employee.

So, an iPad costs $500, plus let's say, $300 for the case and wiring. The employer can recover his purchase costs in about 2 weeks (by not employing someone to do what the iPad does).

After that, there is maintenance -- let's say, $50 per week -- probably a wash compared to paying for lunch time and breaks for our $10 per hour employee.

Likely, there are tax deductions available to the company to offset some of the purchasing and installation costs.

This may appear to be a harsh way to look at things -- but that's reality. The businessman is pressured to run his business as efficiently as possible to keep the prices low to its customers -- just to meet competition.

Not buying it. For one thing, you don't need one employee per product display. One employee might be able to cover 20 product displays. Secondly, there are plenty of people who simply cannot interpret specs from a screen - that's why they're in the store in the first place. If they were able to understand everything about a product by reading a screen, chances are they would have ordered online or walked in and asked to buy the product. People who aren't tech geeks want warm and fuzzy human beings to answer their questions. Walk into an Apple Store that's not near a university or in a tech corridor. A very large percentage of people ask incredibly naive or stupid questions. It makes me sweat just to hear them. That's what the bodies are for.

Secondly, the employer does not match all withholding - they only match social security and medicare and in some cases, some percentage of a 401K. And the employer has overhead, which is usually fixed, regardless of the number of employees the store has. Is it more expensive having employees than having an iPad? Sure. But there's nothing that convinces me that an iPad can replace an employee anymore than the printed signage could have replaced an employee.

Thirdly, Apple's strategy is not to run its retail business strictly "as efficiently as possible". Efficiency is what a warehouse store like Costco or BJs does. Efficiency is not installing multi-million dollar glass staircases or glass cube entrances. Apple's strategy is to provide the best customer experience, thereby differentiating Apple from other retail. Part of that customer experience is knowledgeable workers on the floor. One of the reasons Apple started retail in the first place is because they were unhappy with how the products were handled by other retail. (Which doesn't quite explain the big push Apple has made to get back into all the big chains, but I never claimed Apple was consistent.)

Frankly, I find this idea to be a bit of overkill. It's basically (as I understand it) a slide show about the product next to it, which could have just as easily been contained on the product itself, except perhaps in the case of iPods.