Apple's 'Retail 2.0' overhaul launches first in Australia

Comments

• Reply 121 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

World wide? They have stores in 11 countries (with 72% in the US), I don't think that really equates to world wide.

They have stores in almost every continent around the world so yes, I would say it does equate to world wide.
  • Reply 122 of 158
    tubbyteetubbytee Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

What a total fucking non-event.

• Reply 123 of 158
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It would be nice if you could order something online from Apple and pay for it, and then instantly go to the store and the item would be waiting for you to get picked up. You would be in and out of the store in literally a minute or two. Like I said, this new retail update with these iPads everywhere is probably nice for beginners and clueless people, but it doesn't make the Apple stores any better for people who already know what they want.

GOOD NEWS, EVERYBODY!
    Followed up by an email confirming your in store reservation.

(Click for full size image)
    The downside to this easy reservation process is that it currently only requires your iTunes account info with no payment hold required. I can see this potentially getting abused even though the hold date is only for one day.

I know you wrote “and pay for it [online]” but you’d still need to have the card you use online and an ID to validate the pickup so this is as good as you’re going to get.

edit: They have a browser-based reservation system I can’t seem to find from retail store pages. Here is the link: https://reserve.apple.com/WebObjects...=en&country=US
  • Reply 124 of 158
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

GOOD NEWS, EVERYBODY!

The downside to this easy reservation process is that it currently only requires your iTunes account info with no payment hold required. I can see this potentially getting abused even though the hold date is only for one day.

I am going to skip the iP42G model and wait for the iP 42GS -- I just hope I won't be too old to use it!

At the keynote, Steve had me at the word "vaporize" and my GF says that the competition's BrainVoid 3.14159 Baba Ghanoush OS won't be able to implement this feature for another 7 years.
  • Reply 125 of 158
    has anybody calculated how many iPads signs apple started using today?

also, i'm pretty sure that theses ipad signs don't have a battery, it would just be a waste of money
  • Reply 126 of 158
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Yep I am sitting in the circle but I am just watching the jerk fest.

I think this is nothing but advertising for the iPad and a way to track EVERYTHING you look at in the store. The paper before was not doing a great job at that. Good move on Apple's part but NOT a big deal at all.

*sploosh* I think you've got something on your face.
  • Reply 127 of 158
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post

They have stores in almost every continent around the world so yes, I would say it does equate to world wide.

You have a very small definition of world wide then, 11 countries is world wide to you?

Around the world maybe, world wide, not quite...
  • Reply 128 of 158
    Quote:

You have a very small definition of world wide then, 11 countries is world wide to you?

As the OP of that term. I suppose you could use: "Spanning the Globe" or "Girding the Earth" or "Across the Planet" or even "From the Four Corners of the World"...

... or just ask Apple where their stores are located...

Apple Retail Store - Over 300 stores worldwide
  • Reply 129 of 158
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

As the OP of that term. I suppose you could use: "Spanning the Globe" or "Girding the Earth" or "Across the Planet" or even "From the Four Corners of the World"...

... or just ask Apple where their stores are located...

Apple Retail Store - Over 300 stores worldwide

Yes, they are world wide, unless you happen to go to one of the 180 odd countries that don't have an Apple store in them.
  • Reply 130 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shacklebolt View Post

has anybody calculated how many iPads signs apple started using today?

also, i'm pretty sure that theses ipad signs don't have a battery, it would just be a waste of money

I would guess something like:

300 plus stores x average(50 + 10 spares) == 18,000.

I suspect these are production iPads with certain thngs crippled by software -- too expensive to make a special production run of a different configuration.

So I suspect they do have a battery. According to this, they use a special connector that is cleverly hidden in the bright lights and strategically-placed reflective paint in the lucite surrounding.

Quote:

The iPad is elegantly sealed inside its stand, charged using a nifty almost-invisible dock connector ribbon and half-mirrored sides to mask the wires.

Apple takes the wraps off new retail efforts
  • Reply 131 of 158
    Quote:

Yes, they are world wide, unless you happen to go to one of the 180 odd countries that don't have an Apple store in them.

...or even to parts of countries (containing Apple Stores) -- no Apple Store in Jungfraujoch, Northwest Tterritories. Ronda, Santa Fe...

I suspect my distinction and nit-picking are as ridiculous as yours
  • Reply 132 of 158
    nceencee Posts: 858member
    This may appear to be a harsh way to look at things -- but that's reality. The businessman is pressured to run his business as efficiently as possible to keep the prices low to its customers -- just to meet competition.[/QUOTE]

And they will be selling all these cool toys to who, once they join the hordes of other unemployed folks?

Skip
  • Reply 133 of 158
    Quote:

Around the world is perhaps a better term, but indeed what I was meaning when I said world wide.

Thinking about it I wouldn't say city wide or country wide if there was only one location in said city/country with a store. Consider my definition of world wide reevaluated.
  • Reply 134 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Quote:

This may appear to be a harsh way to look at things -- but that's reality. The businessman is pressured to run his business as efficiently as possible to keep the prices low to its customers -- just to meet competition.

And they will be selling all these cool toys to who, once they join the hordes of other unemployed folks?

Skip

Part of Apple's obligation to its shareholders, employees and customers alike -- is to efficiently deliver quality products and services -- to make a profit.

Without a profit, Apple would cease to exist -- and no one would be "selling all these cool toys" to anyone.
  • Reply 135 of 158
    I can’ believe people are entertaining jfanning’s typical misunderstand of the English language. Next he’ll argue that air isn’t worldwide because the definition is "extending or reaching throughout the world” and there is no air inside the world. Or that McDonalds isn’t a worldwide company because they are only on 6 continents and in only 2/3 of the world’s countries. :roll eyes:

The bottom line is that all Apple Stores throughout the world, hence worldwide, were overhauled on the same day. Easy peezy lemon squeezy. Now can we ignore the trolls and get back to our regularly scheduled programme?
  • Reply 136 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can? believe people are entertaining jfanning?s typical misunderstand of the English language. Next he?ll argue that air isn?t worldwide because the definition is "extending or reaching throughout the world? and there is no air inside the world. :roll eyes:

The bottom line is that all Apple Stores throughout the world, hence worldwide, were overhauled on the same day. Easy peezy lemon squeezy. Now can we ignore the trolls and get back to our regularly scheduled programme?

Sorry... I usually ignore these posts!

But after a while, the incessant and juvenile ankle-biting wears thin.
  • Reply 137 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Sorry... I usually ignore these posts!

But after a while, the incessant and juvenile ankle-biting wears thin.

Have you checked out the new Apple Store app? It?s pretty slick all around. I tried their original version and found it ultimately useless to have on my phone. I had even deleted it from iTunes.

But this new one even goes so far as to have the Apple Store?s image and name appear on your phone when they are ready for you with a message for them to meet you at the door. I can?t think of another business that is offering anything as slick.

edit: Might as well just post a pic to show you.
  • Reply 138 of 158
    You know what would've been nice in addition to this new way to get customer money and make more money and money and money and money (thinly veiled as improved customer experience)... to "celebrate" a 10th anniversary? Oh, I don't know maybe something like most companies do - offer some type of 24 or 48 hour discount of 10-20% to help people save a few bucks and drive in more store traffic. That way Apple makes more money, gets positive press, and the customer saves -- win-win. This is a lot to do about very little IMO, not mch of a anniversary "celebration."
  • Reply 139 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

You know what would've been nice in addition to this new way to get customer money and make more money and money and money and money (thinly veiled as improved customer experience)... to "celebrate" a 10th anniversary? Oh, I don't know maybe something like most companies do - offer some type of 24 or 48 hour discount of 10-20% to help people save a few bucks and drive in more store traffic. That way Apple makes more money, gets positive press, and the customer saves -- win-win. This is a lot to do about very little IMO, not mch of a anniversary "celebration."

1) If they already have the highest trafficked and most profitable stores per square feet in retail does getting more foot traffic really help?

2) What does 10-20% off Apple?s profit help their profit if they are already selling at maximum capacity at their current prices?

3) Why don?t you like the new queueing feature for servicing customers faster, more efficiently and in a more orderly fashion?

PS: The Back To School sales will come soon enough.
  • Reply 140 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

I agree to some extent.

But when you think about it, this was a fairly major change in the way these stores were being run -- for the managers, employees and the customers.

From that perspective, you want to introduce the new procedures as seamlessly as possible-- to get some experience under your belt(s).

Had Apple offered some special sale, the crowds would have been even bigger (and more competitive) adding ot the general chaos.

Consider: a customer waiting at a kioskelle for an Apple employee to help answer a few questions -- and all the Apple employees are busy with customers purchasing sale items -- I suspect the customer at the kioskelle would be pissed -- I know I would.

Once Apple has refined the new operation, they can do a special sale anytime -- and, likely, do a better job of serving all customer's needs, than with the old setup.

I suspect about 75-100 people per store (or ~=30,000 people) had to be trained and put into practice (experience) the new procedures.

I expect they watched, got feedback, and learned a lot --and will refine the procedures accordingly.