Apple rumored to add widgets, revamped notifications to iOS 5

Comments

• Reply 61 of 115
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How are you going to make fun of a misspelled word in someone's post and then misspell a word in your very next post?

Can you tell me where I made fun about somebodys misspelling I am at a loss here

And yes I do misspell a lot myself I know that, and if anybody is offended by my lack of english grammar or spelling I feel really sorry. Maybe I ought to write in my native language. But then again......
  • Reply 62 of 115
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Can you tell me where I made fun about somebodys misspelling I am at a loss here

And yes I do misspell a lot myself I know that, and if anybody is offended by my lack of english grammar or spelling I feel really sorry. Maybe I ought to write in my native language. But then again......

FOR FUCK'S SAKE THIS IS AN AMERICAN FORUM; WRITE IN AMERICAN!

FWIW, I used to be grammar/spelling picky, but I'm over it now. English is a hideous language to come to grips with.
  • Reply 63 of 115
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Nothing Apple could do would kill Android. Apple produces products for the mid level and high end markets. It makes no attempt to compete in the market for piece of shit devices. Android is free. It will always be the OS of choice for POS devices.

A lot of people think Apple killed Symbian. I would argue that Google did. Some people were surprised when Nokia joined with Microsoft instead of Google. It didn't surprise me at all. I think Nokia recognized who their real devil was and didn't want to facilitate them, even if it meant putting Apple in a stronger position. I can't wait to see if Nokia-MS can take on Android. I'm sure HP will join the fray with webOS. Its going to be a blood bath in the low end market.

At some point, a winner may emerge from the low end market (and it won't be Apple because Apple won't compete). When development slows the low end market may take over the high end market (it usually does with electronics). I'm sure I'll make a boat load of money off my Apple stock before that happens. However, if Apple wants to take over the whole market (which so far they say they don't) they will have to sell to the low end market. How could it be any other way?

POS devices? Are you serious/are you just blind?

1. Android is an OS, and if someone puts it on a POS hardware, you get what you pay for. The OS itself is pretty darned good. I switched 2 weeks back, and I am loving it. Both platforms are awesome, learn(I repeat LEARN) to give credit where its due and take off your rose tinted glasses.

2. Do you even look at the high end devices with Android? In my personal opinion, most of them are much much better. Android was pretty bad 2 years back, but they have caught up(and moved beyond) iOs in a lot of ways. I now have an INspire I bought for 250 bucks off CL, 4 weeks used, and it is a much better device that the Iphone 4 in a lot of ways, and not as good in a lot of ways, but so much more cheaper. BUT, the competition is so fierce in ALL ends(high, mid, low) that I can get a darned good Android device for much less. Heard about competition for products? See it in play here. Look at the upcoming devices, and I have a feeling the Iphone 5 was pushed out only because of upcoming Androids. They are beasts, with a pretty good OS, great displays and very good hardware.

3. This is one thing that beats me about "company -X" faithful. Could be Apple or Google Fanbois. When a feature is bad in their OS, the fanbois round up and say its good, or criticize another OSes functionality. Case in point: Widgets. Android has has them for a while, and in 2 weeks, I have found them to be very useful. Now IoS is getting it, and once it comes out, all the fanbois will DROOL over it on how good it is. Just look it in totality, can you? A competing product has a good feature, appreciate it. If its coming to Ios, thats good!! You know why they got in, or why notifications are being improved? Because there are other CHOICES which do things better, so its good for US as a customer. Understand?

All these companies are in one business: $$$$. Thats ALL they want. I dont believe for one second thats the only thing they care about, whatever they say about doing evil. Remember one thing though, competition keeps companies on their feet, and prices at where we want. Apple lost once because of this very elitist attitude you are reflecting, I really hope they dont go down that path again because they are one awesome company with great products.

God I HATE fanbois.
  • Reply 64 of 115
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

I honestly hope they don't do widgets. iOS doesn't need to be any more cluttered than it is now. Mostly I want better file management.

I remember when multitasking was the thing that Apple was missing. They added it and my battery life took a noticeable hit. I'm expecting the same with Widgets and could probably live without them.
  • Reply 65 of 115
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

God I HATE fanbois.

I don't really mind fans... what really picks my ass are the people who come onto the forum telling us about the greatness of a competing product only to find out a short time later that that particular product lasted only a New York minute and was actually a piece of shit.

Just saying...
  • Reply 66 of 115
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    Sometimes I get the feeling that Apple are a little too obsessed with style, rather then function. The iPhone4 is a really nice phone, touted as the slimmest phone when it was released. Unfortunately, the squared edges and flat back actually make it much harder to hold than the older iPhone3. The iP3 curved back would allow for more surface contact with the palm, and it would not slip out of the hand very easily. The iPhone4 has less contact area, at least with my hands, and the stainless steel edges have no "grip" to them. If they had put some ridges, texture or something stamped on the sides to allow for better grip, that would probably prevent a lot of accidental drops of the phone. Of course, Apple would not sell as many bumpers if that was the case. Not to mention the dual glass panels of the front and rear. Pretty, but fragile.

I hear rumors that Apple are trying to make the iPhone even smaller, which is why they are pushing for a smaller sim card. I'd rather they keep the phone size the same and allow that room for a larger battery to compensate for things like widgets and other power sapping features that Android phones have. I'm not sure I really need to have an even thinner/smaller iPhone. I'd even be interested in a slightly larger phone with a larger screen.
  • Reply 67 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

Sometimes I get the feeling that Apple are a little too obsessed with style, rather then function.

I?ll take that over a company obsessed with cutting corners rather than function.

Seriously though I much prefer the iPhone?s function and gripability over the 2 previous iPhones. The original iPhone still feels the best in my hand. Apple needs to invent and RF invisible aluminum alloy.
  • Reply 68 of 115
    Hm. Interesting.

While I'm sure Apple will implement these better than Android (widget battery life specifically), I find it annoying that the company pokes fun at their competitor...and then uses their ideas (note: not copy them). I'm fine with poking fun at your enemy, but you look like a fool if use their ideas a year later imo just my .2
  • Reply 69 of 115
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You're right... Apple's business strategy is certainly hurting them...

Pretty weak retort.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm more interested in whatever integration features iOS 5 can offer as this is an area where it is seriously behind the other platforms. iOS is technically "behind" in widgets, but it's just a tickbox feature that Android has and iOS doesn't IMO. It's not a real, useful part of the OS design that Apple could be considered seriously lacking whereas integration of notifications and displays into the lock screen is clearly a useful and much wanted feature.

More than all of this, I'm really quite bored with the iPhone altogether and my focus is on the iPad now where the real innovation can perhaps occur.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Microsoft is showing what's possible with deep linking, but I've always found it annoying that there's no mechanism in which my iPhone apps speak to each other. For instance, if I'm reading in iBooks and want to find out about the person/ landmark it would be great if there could be a mechanism in which I could go from iBooks straight to the article in Articles (my wikipedia app) instead of taking a number of steps to do this. Apple have done this in a few ways so far, i.e. linking youtube pages to the app, but even this doesn't work 100% of the time. Incorporating that would be a hefty task indeed. iPhone/iPad integration above a level of zero would be great. When I had my iPad, I was getting two beeps from the same email notification - the WebOS solution seems nifty.

I'd say that the 'tiles' approach Microsoft took is more useful than widgets in providing glance able information. Problem with the iPhone is that the apps are the highlight, so any incorporation of widgets shouldn't push the apps to the background. Some people I know have pages full of apps and folders (I admittedly, only keep a few apps) so widgets will make the phone even more cluttered. I'm sure Apple's implementation would be superior to widgets in their current form as this seems pretty half baked.
  • Reply 70 of 115
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Hope this is true. Love my iP4, but really miss the widgets feature (as well as voice controls...especially those) of my old Droid.

Does Android have speech-to-text? I can imagine the new iPhone or the next having speech-to-text as really quite breakthrough. Sending an SMS just by talking would be awesome. As well as having someone's SMS read back to you (text-to-speech). I'm sure is what the whole Nuance thing is about. It would take "Hands-Free" to a new level and maybe make driving safer even.

Apologies if this has all been said, I'm late to the Nuance party, I know.
  • Reply 71 of 115
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Does Android have speech-to-text? I can imagine the new iPhone or the next having speech-to-text as really quite breakthrough. Sending an SMS just by talking would be awesome. As well as having someone's SMS read back to you (text-to-speech). I'm sure is what the whole Nuance thing is about. It would take "Hands-Free" to a new level and maybe make driving safer even.

Apologies if this has all been said, I'm late to the Nuance party, I know.

Yes, Android has text-to-speech (TTS), and has for quite some time, since 2009.

http://developer.android.com/resourc...icles/tts.html

Google and Nuance are generally considered the two leaders in TTS, tho there are some others.
  • Reply 72 of 115
    Quote:

Off topic, but I just wanted to update you all that after 1 month I finally have my replacement iPhone4 from my local telco. As you know I was quite vocal about the Home button misbehaving in a minor but niggling, annoying way. Doing the restore on my replacement iPhone4 now. The telco was not particular about even testing the problem a month ago, they just put me on a waiting list for a replacement. Wish me luck with this new one!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Good luck!

Thanks! As mentioned I managed to get my replacement yesterday. The telco's saving grace was that they replaced the iPhone 4 with virtually no questions asked, they didn't argue or even attempt to diagnose the Home button issue, they pretty much took my word for it.

As per procedure I got a unit from the "replacement" pool of iPhone 4s, ie. it could be refurbished. Everything works well and it looks fine apart from some very tiny scratches just below the silent switch, which you can only see if you look at it from a specific angle. Not too fussed about that.

Also as per web reports my iPhone 4 screen now is a little "yellow" or "warm" looking instead of the more blue-white screens of last year's units. Again, not too fussed about it after researching the issue. At first I was taken aback because I was used to the previous iPhone 4 but I notice now, my 2010 MBP 13" and iPad 2 also have fairly warm screens. Since getting the MBP and iPad 2 I stoped using screen protectors, so now with this replacement iPhone 4 I'm not using a screen protector. It is really a pretty amazing screen. I wouldn't mind a bigger screen with deeper contrast and so on but if you use it as designed without a screen protector, the iPhone 4 IPS screen is quite beautiful. I may want it to be more blue-white but I notice with these warmer screens if you turn up the brightness eg. during daytime you don't notice the "warmness". There is a big ongoing thread at Macrumors about the warmer screens having better detail and colour reproduction, which may be true.

All said and done I'm just happy to have a normal functioning iPhone 4 again. I don't use it a ton, but when I do I need it to just work.

And now if this unit can get me past the iPhone 4S and through to the iPhone 5, allowing me thus to skip an iPhone generation, that will be just peachy.
  • Reply 73 of 115
    Quote:

Thanks! As mentioned I managed to get my replacement yesterday. The telco's saving grace was that they replaced the iPhone 4 with virtually no questions asked, they didn't argue or even attempt to diagnose the Home button issue, they pretty much took my word for it.

That is a value that can be easily overlooked.
  • Reply 74 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yes, Android has text-to-speech (TTS), and has for quite some time, since 2009.

http://developer.android.com/resourc...icles/tts.html

Google and Nuance are generally considered the two leaders in TTS, tho there are some others.

Ah, interesting. But is there voice control to for example, dictate an SMS by voice only? I'm sure this would be an awesome feature for Android AND iOS.

BTW would be great to have a GladOS voice for TTS in any device.
  • Reply 75 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is a value that can be easily overlooked.

Well, I'd say that makes up for having to wait one month. So consider me and the telco squared off... for now. Muah ha ha ha ha
  • Reply 76 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

More than all of this, I'm really quite bored with the iPhone altogether and my focus is on the iPad now where the real innovation can perhaps occur. I'd like to see announcements at the WWDC of some serious productivity apps for iOS. An improved version of Pages at the very least, hopefully integrated not only into the cloud, but into Lion as well.

The ball has moved as they say. Widgets are really not that important in the big picture.

I agree. Widgets and notifications are all well and good, but for me on my iPhone I just need the cloud wireless syncing for data and media.

Like you say, the iPad is where the real action is. As for Lion, couldn't give two hoots about it at this stage. I'm waiting to be blown away, or at least pleasantly surprised.
  • Reply 77 of 115
    Quote:

Ah, interesting. But is there voice control to for example, dictate an SMS by voice only? I'm sure this would be an awesome feature for Android AND iOS.

Yes, and again for some time now.

http://developer.android.com/resourc...ech-input.html
  • Reply 78 of 115
    Quote:

There are several such apps. The problem I have with all I've used/seen/read about is that there is still some user touchscreen interaction required. Like using Dragon Dictation or Siri you have to access the app and still hit virtual buttons.

I want something more intelligent like in Star Trek.

Quote:

Well, I'd say that makes up for having to wait one month. So consider me and the telco squared off... Till next time.

I missed the part where you waited a month. Your telco made you wait that long? Sometimes I forget how nice it is to live in a city with an Apple Store.
  • Reply 79 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are several such apps. The problem I have with all I've used/seen/read about is that there is still some user touchscreen interaction required. Like using Dragon Dictation or Siri you have to access the app and still hit virtual buttons.

I want something more intelligent like in Star Trek.

Garmin does this now with their speech recognition on their latest devices (since the middle of last year.) No need to tap the screen, push a button, etc. Instead it's always "listening" for a user-defined wake-up phrase to initiate speech control.

That's the only totally "hand's-free" version I'm familiar with.

EDIT: Guess that function is available for Android too.

http://www.starttalking.com/faqs.php
  • Reply 80 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

EDIT: Guess that function is available for Android too.

http://www.starttalking.com/faqs.php

Great find!! It sure sounds impressive.
    Quote:

What is a StartTalking conversation like?

To initiate a conversation with StartTalking, the user speaks an attention, or ?wake-up,? word assigned to the mobile device. The phone recognizes this attention word using AdelaVoice?s proprietary attention technology, which ?wakes up? the device without the user having to touch it.

Once awoken, the phone processes and responds to spoken words through a natural dialog. For instance, user ?Dave,? who uses the wake-up word ?Operator,? could send a text message in the following way:
    Dave: ?Operator, Text Lauren?

Phone: ?Speak to create text message for Lauren, or say cancel?

Dave: ?Traffic bad. Running late. Meet you at the theater.?

Phone: ?I heard you say, ?Traffic bad. Running late. Meet you at the theater?, say listen, add more, try again, send message, or cancel?

Dave: ?Send message?

Phone: ?Your message to Lauren will be sent.?
    At no time, is the user required to physically engage with the device. The interaction is a complete voice experience ? 100 percent eyes and hands free.

I would love to see Apple come out with an app that learns the user's speech patterns. Just like in every movie or TV show that needs to fake someone's voice using a computer they have the person speak (often without their knowledge) a series of words or sentences to create an phoneme foundation.