Apple rumored to add widgets, revamped notifications to iOS 5

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 115
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Great find!! It sure sounds impressive.

I would love to see Apple come out with an app that learns the user's speech patterns. Just like in every movie or TV show that needs to fake someone's voice using a computer they have the person speak (often without their knowledge) a series of words or sentences to create an phoneme foundation.

I wonder if it's possible to use the opening words of a phone conversation to learn key phrases and also the names of contacts? This could get quite smart, so if your father's name is a contact, but you've set his contact relationship to your own contact as father and you say "Oh, Hi Dad", then you can later say: "Call Dad".

Similarly there could be key phrases that you can legitimately drop into a conversation, such as "OK, so I'll ... tomorrow", which triggers a capture of a task which you can edit after the call.

The point is that limiting the context can make the recognition achievable.
  • Reply 102 of 115
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I wonder if it's possible to use the opening words of a phone conversation to learn key phrases and also the names of contacts? This could get quite smart, so if your father's name is a contact, but you've set his contact relationship to your own contact as father and you say "Oh, Hi Dad", then you can later say: "Call Dad".

Similarly there could be key phrases that you can legitimately drop into a conversation, such as "OK, so I'll ... tomorrow", which triggers a capture of a task which you can edit after the call.

Great idea.
  • Reply 103 of 115
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Great idea.

Very interesting idea, for sure. But I wonder if it violates wire-tapping law.

It would be nice but a bit creepy. To be honest, I don't trust Apple any more. I don't trust many companies but I trust Apple even less than Google, so I wouldn't opt to have Steve Jobs recording any of my conversations. Who knows, perhaps they'd store all of them into a file they "forget" to wipe, too.
  • Reply 104 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

It does allow for multiple terms per contact, but I do have mine set up as Parents, with named numbers as Dad <cell_number>, Mom <cell_number>.

This works well except for the inclusion of their multiple fax numbers which brings me to my next iOS 5.0 request. Let check off which contacts or info from contacts can used for voice calling. I will never have a scenario where I need to FaceTime Panuchii?s Pizza or voice call a fax machine from my iPhone.
  • Reply 105 of 115
    jeffdenverjeffdenver Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Yes... Apple likes widgets.

Ah...widgets were useless battery wasters when they were only on Android phones. But now that they are coming to iOS, they are suddenly a great new feature.
  • Reply 106 of 115
    jeffdenverjeffdenver Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?m sure what angle that guy is pulling: troll or ignorant.

I believe it was Mac OS X Tiger that first introduced Widgets in Dashboard so Apple clearly doesn?t have a problem with Widgets. If his claim is that Apple doesn?t like Widgets when it comes to iOS how does he back that up? Where is the proof? Seems to me his only argument is that since they don?t exist in iOS it must be that Apple hates them which is a pretty poor logic.

I am simply curious is Apple users will embrace them now....considering that up until now they have been almost universally reviled. Want some examples?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Maybe it is me but I was never able to grasp why I'd would want to mess with widgets on dashboard. At least with Dashboard on a Mac they where out of the way. On a tablet they are just old technology that simply doesnt belong there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Considering how iPad functions what use would there be for widgets? This is another thing I don't get from the Android crowd. IOS can unfreeze an app like a calculator so fast that you simply have no need for widgets.

At least iOS will be catching up to some of the features Android has.
  • Reply 107 of 115
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

Ah...widgets were useless battery wasters when they were only on Android phones. But now that they are coming to iOS, they are suddenly a great new feature.

Not just any great new feature, Jeff, but the very best great new feature. By the way... what's an Android phone?!
  • Reply 108 of 115
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

. . . what's an Android phone?!

An Android phone's others of his kind of course. Don't you ever watch or read sci-fi?
  • Reply 109 of 115
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

That would be true wrt to Widgets, but not notifications. Android also has poorly implemented notifications (not as bad as iOS though). Wrt notifications, they are playing catchup with WebOS.

The notification system on WebOS is indeed better implemented, but there is nothing poor about Android's implementation. WebOS allows you to delete individual notifications while Android only allows a complete clear. WebOS has widgets in notifications (Samsung's Galaxy S line already does this). The only sorry notification system is on iOS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

While Android is still a usage clusterf***, as far as features, with Google Wallet, its well past iOS. iOS5 needs to be huge, to match up.

I can no longer even use the iPhone for more than a few minutes. For me, Android is significantly more usable. As far as catching up is concerned, iOS4 was largely a catch up to Android - multi-tasking (albeit limited), folders etc. The same will likely happen with iOS5. Just like losing the market to Android was inevitable, losing innovation to Android is also inevitable, given the speed at which Android moves. At some point, Android will slow down and hardware galloping probably will as well. But the one update a year will still make iOS a laggard.

For folks, who still use the iPhone, it won't make any difference. If you are willing to put up with no multi tasking and customization, widgets and NFC is hardly going to matter. You still get a solid device that is almost always behind the curve in hardware and an OS that is always going to be too simplified for a power user.
  • Reply 110 of 115
    hoganhogan Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

What? You need to learn to read. I don't have rose tinted glasses. Go read my post again and pay attention to the fact that I didn't disparage Android at all. I said Android is the OS of choice for pieces of shit hardware. The statement has nothing to do with whether Android is a good OS or whether there is good hardware running Android.

My point was that there is a market for POS devices and Android will always have that market because the OS is free. Apple refuses to even allow their OS to be used on such POS hardware.

And yes I hate fanboys too. You are obviously an Android fanboy. Why else would you take such offense to my discussion about the fact that manufacturers of POS devices prefer Android.

I find it humorous that you made incorrect assumptions about the OS when I associated it with POS hardware. That mistake is exactly why Apple doesn't let iOS or OS X be installed on POS hardware. There are a lot of stupid people in the world that can't distinguish between bad hardware and bad software.

Precious, much? He read it as I and many other here would read it.
  • Reply 111 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

The notification system on WebOS is indeed better implemented, but there is nothing poor about Android's implementation. WebOS allows you to delete individual notifications while Android only allows a complete clear. WebOS has widgets in notifications (Samsung's Galaxy S line already does this). The only sorry notification system is on iOS.

I fully agree with this. I have used all three OS' and notifications in Web OS was elegant, and non-intrusive.

Quote:

I can no longer even use the iPhone for more than a few minutes. For me, Android is significantly more usable. As far as catching up is concerned, iOS4 was largely a catch up to Android - multi-tasking (albeit limited), folders etc. The same will likely happen with iOS5. Just like losing the market to Android was inevitable, losing innovation to Android is also inevitable, given the speed at which Android moves. At some point, Android will slow down and hardware galloping probably will as well. But the one update a year will still make iOS a laggard.

I recently had water damage with iPhone which rendered it useless. For a couple of weeks I borrowed my GF's old Samsung Galaxy (she was going away for a couple of weeks for work abroad and had her work BBerry), and I really enjoyed using it, particularly notifications in lock screen etc. and a phenomenal app called Tasker that is an extraordinarily powerful rules engine. There was a learning curve, and Android simply isn't as intuitive as iOS, but the curve was so worth climbing. GF returned and I handed her phone back and was honestly disappointed to return to an iPhone 3Gs.

Quote:

For folks, who still use the iPhone, it won't make any difference. If you are willing to put up with no multi tasking and customization, widgets and NFC is hardly going to matter. You still get a solid device that is almost always behind the curve in hardware and an OS that is always going to be too simplified for a power user.

I jail broke my new iPhone (well, its a 3GS) to get some of the flexibility and functionality afforded by Android (mainly use LockInfo, SBSettings and BiteSMS) and am sceptical that iOS 5 will be sufficient for me to upgrade to an new iPhone, but i'm interested to see how Apple updates notifications etc.. I like Apple products; they are well built and Apple's service is fantastic as I have learned with any hardware problems I experienced that they have promptly addressed. However, the Galaxy S II looks very tasty and I might just switch.
  • Reply 112 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

I think iOS getting new notifications falls into the 'duh!' category.

it's absolutely ridiculous to say iOS has to catch up to Android**, but it's pretty much universally acknowledged that iOS's notification system is the worst of the bunch.

**I've seen nothing on Android that impresses me much. About the only thing I wish iPhone had was a good, free built-in Garmin-like directions app like what's built into Android. But other than that; you talk to most Android users (normal folks, not the tech-hacker types) and they all still have iPhone envy.

Having only used Android for a couple of weeks, I can say without equivocation that there is much Apple could learn from the Android development community. Apple may never open up its API's to the extent that an application like Tasker would be available on iOS, but Apple would be well served by doing so.

After a semi-frustrating few hours getting acclimatized to Android (less intuitive that iOS, and not uniform either), I really appreciated the functionality and flexibility it afforded me. At the end of the 2 weeks, I was loathe to return to an iPhone which seemed cumbersome by comparison. Too many steps to do simple things that were one click away with Android. I even jailbroke to see if I could makeup the difference in some way (and it does)

I'm waiting to see what iOS 5 offers, but I'm inclined to make the switch to Android..
  • Reply 113 of 115
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    For me it's about the ecosystem.

I'm not going to be impressed by widgets or lock screens or other, IMO, trivial add ons. I'm looking for integration. I want the exchange of data to be effortless with my computer and my AV system. I want voice interaction to improve. I think keyboards on a phone are silly as a touch typist.

I do think iOS played catchup to Android as no one saw Android's success coming so quickly but they have awakened Apple and it's a whole new ball game now.

The primary advantage that a company has when they control the hardware and software is integration and time to market and Apple certainly has the resources to stay the most profitable despite the probability of losing the marketshare crown.

In less than a week we're going to find out what the next direction is for iOS and to me that's much more exciting than any other phone OS...probably because of the unknown factor.
  • Reply 114 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

For me it's about the ecosystem.

I'm not going to be impressed by widgets or lock screens or other, IMO, trivial add ons. I'm looking for integration. I want the exchange of data to be effortless with my computer and my AV system. I want voice interaction to improve. I think keyboards on a phone are silly as a touch typist.

I do think iOS played catchup to Android as no one saw Android's success coming so quickly but they have awakened Apple and it's a whole new ball game now.

The primary advantage that a company has when they control the hardware and software is integration and time to market and Apple certainly has the resources to stay the most profitable despite the probability of losing the marketshare crown.

In less than a week we're going to find out what the next direction is for iOS and to me that's much more exciting than any other phone OS...probably because of the unknown factor.

I admit that I'm keenly interested in what Apple has to offer, but check out videos on Google Nexus deep voice integration on youtube, or even on an app like Tasker and it's quite a catch-up.

On Ecosystem, now that I am seriously considering moving to Android, I realize that I am locked into Apple Itunes for music etc and I'm unlikely to make the same mistake again. Smart for Apple, not so smart for me.
  • Reply 115 of 115
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I'm happy Android's here. It's a great nemesis for Apple/iOS which means in this "arms race" the tech loving consumer wins.

My iPhone has changed how I compute in less than a year. It's amazing to me. Deep voice integration is key. Apple's purchase of Siri was so seemingly misunderstood. Many thought it was a search play but it's really so much more.

I'm going to just sit back and reap the rewards of the ensuing battles.