TV series on DVD

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>

I still feel that ...

TV on DVD == pay to watch rerun IMO.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah, that's one reason i haven't got the Simpsons, but those do come with extras as people have mentioned.

the one's i want aren't shown anymore, except x-files and simpsons

Reasons i see to buy them are:

1. Better picture and sound - my cable company Comcast's picture isn't that great

2. Commerical free

3. You can watch them anytime you want

[ 01-23-2003: Message edited by: burningwheel ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 58
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I can understand getting the stuff you can't see anymore. Like Young Ones and Mr Show.... You can rent those too.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Just one Mini-Series...Band of Brothers. I don't have HBO.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm waiting for Seinfeld....

and Ed.

Ed. I love that show.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong><a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/RSRonDVD/petition.html"; target="_blank">http://www.petitiononline.com/RSRonDVD/petition.html</a>;

Click here to petition for Ren and Stimpy DVDs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ooooo. cool. John K is making 6 more episodes! i want these on DVD as well, i'll sign!

i jst signed,i wonder if this petition should be made out to TNN??, they are going to be showing the 6 new episodes as well as all the old ones

[ 01-24-2003: Message edited by: burningwheel ]</p>
  • Reply 26 of 58
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>I can understand getting the stuff you can't see anymore. Like Young Ones and Mr Show.... You can rent those too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Scott,

I have ( as I'm sure I'm not the only one here ) a 53" HD TV.

On this TV Tape looks like crap. Broadcast is barely palitable.

DVDs however look wonderful. The difference between Tape is 500 lines of res. vs 240 for tape. 330 or so for broadcast.

Watching these shows on DVD is like watching them for the first time all over again. You tend to notice things that you didn't before ( even if it's the painted over woodgrain in the door to the turbo lift on Kirk's Enterprise ).

And then of course there's the special features.

No commercials ( try watching the TNG episode " Cause and Effect " ).

It's a different experience. That's why we buy them.

We already knew we liked the show so it's a win, win situation.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    24--Season 1

Band of Brothers

Buffy--Seasons 1-3

Ken Burns Baseball (I guess this counts here).

Oz--Seasons 1 and 2

Roughnecks--The Starship Troopers Chronicles (all).

The Sopranos--Seasons 1-3

South park Volumes 1-6 (the old ones). I would have bought the new box set, but with the commentary track fiasco I said screw it. I will pick up subsequent seasons as that will be the only way to have them.

Star Trek--TNG--All 7 Seasons

Trasnformers--Season 1, Season 2 Part 1

Twin Peaks--Season 1 (I also have the import Pilot Episode)

X-Files--All 6 Seasons

I also have Star Trek--Deep Space 9 and Six Feet Under, both 1st seasons, on pre-order.

Would like someday to pick up Stargate SG1, Babylon 5, Sex and the City at some point, also Sliders and Quantom Leap if they ever come out. Will definityl get Voyager and 24 S2 in 2004 as well. G.I. Joe would be sweet too.

I love TV on DVD.

Oh, I would buy Star Trek TOS if they released them as season box sets over the overpriced discs out now.

[ 01-24-2003: Message edited by: Horned_Frog ]</p>
  • Reply 28 of 58
    when oh when are they coming out with SEINFELD my favorite show on dvd?

i dont watch too much tv, is this "24" series i keep hearing about any good? and does anyone know if the british comedy "butterflies" or "are you being served" out on dvd? god i miss staying up till 3 am watching british comedy lol
  • Reply 29 of 58
    [quote]when oh when are they coming out with SEINFELD my favorite show on dvd? <hr></blockquote>

i'm sorry i don't know that answer to that, but i was wondering if ALL the seinfeld episodes are being shown in syndication. it seems like we just see a few from the first couple of seasons then go to the later ones. i can't point to any shows that aren't out there, but since the release of so many series to dvd, i was wondering if they were holding some off syndication to make a dvd release more attractive.

i think i might buy seinfeld on dvd. i would also buy newsradio.

i have "Fawlty Towers" and "Absolutely Fabulous" complete on laser disc but up to now haven't been tempted by anything on dvd.

[ 01-25-2003: Message edited by: superkaratemonkeydeathcar ]</p>
  • Reply 30 of 58
    I have heard AbFab is pretty good (both DVD-wise and the show itself) though I have never seen either.

And yes, "24" is that good. I haven't been watching S2; I figured I'd just pick up the DVD when it comes out.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    [quote]Originally posted by futuremac:

<strong>

i dont watch too much tv, is this "24" series i keep hearing about any good? l</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes! but don't start watching S2. rent or buy season 1 and then do the same for when S2 comes out on DVD

[ 01-25-2003: Message edited by: burningwheel ]</p>
  • Reply 32 of 58
    ok thats it...

i went to work today and asked everyone about this "24" show (i really dont watch tv hardly at all now)i was told it was a cop show and they all raved over it. so ill be getting this dvd set as its cheap here.

i am way behind on tv. i didn't even know the plot of this show. you're talking to a guy who has never seen "buffy" i never saw "the Sopranos" i thought it was a music show, lol i mean after SEINFELD i pretty much stopped watching tv. i cant imagine anything could be as good as that. and you're right about the SEINFELD reruns i keep seeing the same ones over and over like he said starting with the pilot and "seeming" to skip some. (maybe they only show the popular ones)

i also liked the x files but only saw a few of those ill get that too.

[ 01-25-2003: Message edited by: futuremac ]</p>
  • Reply 33 of 58
    and where are you guys buying these dvd sets? is there any best place to get them cheaply?
  • Reply 34 of 58
    [quote]Originally posted by futuremac:

<strong>and where are you guys buying these dvd sets? is there any best place to get them cheaply?</strong><hr></blockquote>

On line. I buy at " The Laser's Edge ". Their are several out there though like " DVD Planet ". Most offer better prices than you would get at " Suncoast " or elsewhere.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    <a href="http://www.mysimon.com"; target="_blank">www.mysimon.com</a>

<a href="http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com"; target="_blank">www.deepdiscountdvd.com</a>
  • Reply 36 of 58
    thanks guys

i picked up the first season of "mash" at fye, was gonna get "x files" but they wanted 150 i also have "bruce lee the master collection" and would love to get "pee wees playhouse" on dvd but its not out yet (yes i watched it on saturday mornings lol)
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Look if guys are really interested in DVD there's this site called The digital Bits. <a href="http://www.thedigitalbits.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.thedigitalbits.com/</a>; it's great for getting the inside scoop on what's happening in the world of DVD and HD.

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>
  • Reply 38 of 58
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>Digital Bits and DVD Planet suck because they only list domestic (US) releases. Most series are released in the UK well in advance of being released in the US.

Angel Season 3 is being released March 3 in the UK. The US is just releasing Season 1 on Feb 11.

Stargate SG-1 Series 6 is being released disc-by-disc starting March 31. The US is still waiting for the first release from season 3!

Buffy Season 5 has been out in UK since October. Season 3 was released in the US in January.

The downside is that the UK prices are often much higher (ex: £80 vs. $60 for Buffy and Angel), but the packaging is of a much higher quality, being in an album format instead of the annoying and non-durable gatefold format used for the US editions.

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: tonton ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry I didn't notice you aren't from here. But the guy who asked the question is. Yes I often envy what gets released elsewhere. The reason in case you didn't know is that the studios are concerned about getting their money out of syndication over here. No one would watch " Voyager " again if they could get it on DVD. So they wait until it's been run to death before they release it. Now something like Angel they must figure there is little syndication value. I don't know why I love that show.

[ 01-30-2003: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>
  • Reply 39 of 58
    ok now i have mash season 1, malcom in the middle 1, and just bought "24" i just got done with cd 1 and i must say this series kicks a$$! question: is the current season of "24" as good as the first? have they been able to keep up the dramatic tension and suspense from season 1?

oh and i was pleasantly surprised to see so many macs used in the show, you'd think apple had to pay them for product placement! i didnt know the ibook apple icon glowed like that from the back, you should have seen the reaction here when they saw that onscreen...

[ 02-09-2003: Message edited by: futuremac ]</p>
  • Reply 40 of 58
    I don't own any TV series on DVD (except the School House Rock dvd, does that count? ) but I am planning to buy and/or would love to be able to buy...

Buck Rodgers (Gil Gerad)

Magnum PI

Six Million Dollar Man

Incredible Hulk

Star Trek (orig)

Babylon 5

Earth2

Simpsons

Alf

Dukes of Hazzard

Pirates of Dark Water (anim)

*sigh* I could go on and on...