WWDC 2011 banners going up at Moscone Center

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) MR has a report of the new AirPort/TC keeping a log of devices that use that network and downloading a single copy of that file and then doing the install on the LAN. That has several clear benefits and also makes me wonder if wireless syncing will come with IOS 5.0 since such an intelligent service could allow for remote syncing independent of a Mac on and running iTunes.

I saw that and it sounds like a great solution.

Quote:

2) I think we'll be getting widgets next week if that rumor of Twitter integration is true. I can't think of another reason for Twitter to be integration if not to have access to tweets from the lock screen.

How these are handled (only Apple widgets, or allowing 3rd party?) to ensure not a lot of confusion or crud to the lock screen (or left of homescreen, etc.) is the key. Implementation is where it will make or break it and I'm interested in seeing what Apple brings to the table.

Quote:

3) I expect Apple to offer a certain portion of their backup and sync services for free for iTunes Store account holders but note that MobileMe/.Mac users have had this for years. I find the service indispensable that I'm willing to spend $65/year on it.

True, to the first part. I've had MobileMe for the past year (ever since I got my iPad 1, giving me multiple devices to sync) and it's been indispensable. I use syncing, iDisk, web hosting, and photo gallery all the time and am looking forward to any additions or improvements coming in.
  • Reply 42 of 103
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Over on 9to5Mac (hate to promote that cesspool though), people are speculating that the new icon is a mash-up of the Sync button and the iDisk cloud. When you add to that the fact that iSync is missing from Lion it makes sense that it's a DropBox type icon/folder and that putting something in it syncs with all your iOS devices and desktop LockBoxes automatically.

Or perhaps it's something more. Dropbox.com already does a good job of syncing a SINGLE folder where you can put stuff.

Perhaps the iCloud integration allows you to turn ANY folder into a WebDAV folder that can by synced using iCloud or accessed remotely through iCloud.com. This would enable you to "share/sync" your music folder, photos folder, documents folder, etc. Everything tied to your iTunes/iCloud account.

You would be able to VIEW any file (thumbnail or QuickLook-esque) on any synced Mac/iOS device, and then download a local copy of any file on demand (to conserve storage). I don't need EVERY file on every computer/device I own, but I should be able to easily view and access it natively and download a full copy with a double click.
  • Reply 43 of 103
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It does look dull though.
  • Reply 44 of 103
    [greg][greg] Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

On second thoughts, the iCloud icon looks almost like the power button from the pre-unibody MacBook Pros. Not sure if there's any relation to physical hardware, but...

I was thinking the same thing. I'd always thought it would be cool to have a physical button like that for Time Machine -- the idea of hitting a metal button like the late model MBP power button just felt right as a "enter the time machine" command... A cloud button would be kinda sweet too. "Take me to the cloud!"
  • Reply 45 of 103
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nonimus View Post

I'm just waiting for someone to associate it with the Rolling Stones "Get Off of My Cloud"

Hey, You!...I was just going to do that until I saw your post.
  • Reply 46 of 103
    dayne33dayne33 Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idji73 View Post

Haven't seen all the banners posted every year, but this one needs a little pizazz

Jony Ive's new contract started this year and, unfortunately, he negotiated himself out of WWDC poster duties.

This years posters were done at the nearby FedEx-Kinko's on Bollinger Rd.
  • Reply 47 of 103
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:

At about one third the speed of DropBox though.

and when it fails, it doesn't tell you unless you're clicked on the drive in Finder.

and sometimes it fails and tells you hours later.

So unreliable, I can't leave the house believing it's worked.

Thank heaven for DropBox.
  • Reply 48 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

If you turn on iDisk sync, MobileMe already works this way.

But iDisk is not included in Time Machine backups like DropBox is, so it's all a mess anyway.
  • Reply 49 of 103
    Quote:

That Cloud icon is kinda strange. The metal suggests a safe?

Does that mean iOS5 will have bubbles ?
  • Reply 50 of 103
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Mmm....

I wonder, will Apple give each WWDC attendee a new Galaxy Tab 10.1...
  • Reply 51 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

But iDisk is not included in Time Machine backups like DropBox is, so it's all a mess anyway.

iDisk shouldn't be included in Time Machine backups. iDisk is either already on Apple's servers, or on your local system -and- synced with Apple's servers. If you are wanting to Time Machine to back up iDisk again just in case Apple loses your content you're asking for a solution that shouldn't exist nor should be the resolution for redundancy.
  • Reply 52 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Or, maybe even more radically, iCloud is a 3rd* "operating system." Maybe iCloud is much bigger than anyone has been thinking.

Sure things like syncing of content across devices will be part of it. Sure integration with the mobile and desktop operating systems will be part of it. But let's take a step back for a moment...

MobileMe consists of a set of web(cloud)-based applications.

There's that iWork.com thing.

Maybe iCloud is an entire platform for delivering content and cloud-based applications from Apple and 3rd parties. The first "consumer cloud operating system?"

That would make the equal-footing positioning, plus the algorithm of: Mac OS X Lion + iOS 5 + iCloud = WWDC make a lot more sense.

*I know Mac OS X and iOS are really two variations of the same OS.

I was going to say the same thing after seeing the banners. The Lion + iOS 5 + iCloud icons banner implies that iCloud is also a platform. Obviously, that's just speculation, but this *is* WWDC. That would be the most logical event to announce a new platform.
  • Reply 53 of 103
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Hardware? Maybe an iCloud server? A home server permanently synced to icloud?

...working silently behind the scenes -- backing up your home content to the cloud; caching locally, based on usage; syncing among all your computers and iDevices...

..your data is secure, and available at your fingertips -- whenever you need it, wherever you are.

The product to support this concept, and integrate the Home and Cloud -- is an enhanced, industrial-strength, TimeCapsule.

Then, in July, the same services will be available for the Pros who use FCPX.
  • Reply 54 of 103
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

If you turn on iDisk sync, MobileMe already works this way.

Except you're paying for MobileMe and I am using DropBox for free.
  • Reply 55 of 103
    Quote:

iDisk shouldn't be included in Time Machine backups. iDisk is either already on Apple's servers, or on your local system -and- synced with Apple's servers. If you are wanting to Time Machine to back up iDisk again just in case Apple loses your content you're asking for a solution that shouldn't exist nor should be the resolution for redundancy.

Sync doesn't provide backup.

A synced file that is lost or overwritten can then have the loss or overwrite synced to all other places.

I'm sure you are happy that you have a backup of your email rather than relying on it being synced between say MobileMe and mail.app.

A person that wanted to keep files in iDisk because they move from machine to machine needs that folder to be backed up, at least on one of the machines.

Backup also allows you to go back through multiple versions to, for example, a date when an app's data was not corrupted by a bad app upgrade or whatever.

Sync plus backup can be very useful for people using sync on-the-road. You can create or modify a file while on the other side of the world, which is synced to a machine back home, which is backed up via time machine - providing on-the-road backup. If you lose or damage the file, it's deleted from all other locations too, but the time machine drive back home still has it. Sync plus backup also provides on-the-road time machine backup for files on iOS devices that use say DropBox, because the dropbox folder is included in time machine.

Anyone relying on sync to protect their files would be on shaky ground.
  • Reply 56 of 103
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    Engadget's headline for this cracked me up for some reason.

"Apple's iCloud logo revealed...it's a cloud."
  • Reply 57 of 103
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by One Fine Line View Post

I was going to say the same thing after seeing the banners. The Lion + iOS 5 + iCloud icons banner implies that iCloud is also a platform. Obviously, that's just speculation, but this *is* WWDC. That would be the most logical event to announce a new platform.

I think this is a mistaken interpretation, unless we are talking about a different meaning of the word "platform."

The only recent attempt at a Cloud platform I can think of is Microsoft's Azure, which is from what I have read, pretty good, but makes them no money. They are already backing away from it.

On the other hand, if you mean platform in the sense that iOS apps might have access to some of the features of Apple's cloud (like saving to it etc.), then that seems rather likely.
  • Reply 58 of 103
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

2) I think we'll be getting widgets next week if that rumor of Twitter integration is true. I can't think of another reason for Twitter to be integration if not to have access to tweets from the lock screen. ....

You're assuming here that widgets would be on the lock screen. They might, but they might not. Apple has been super anal about the lock screen since day one, and they usually blame it on security.

It will be fun to see if they relent on this front, but I'm not personally counting on it.
  • Reply 59 of 103
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

When do you think iOS 5.0 will be available...

Also, do you think 1 more thing will be iPhone 4GS?

Why would it be 4GS? That's just unnecessarily complicated. It will be iPhone 5 running iOS 5.
  • Reply 60 of 103
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Wait, so will iCloud replace MobileMe? Can I get my $99 back? (Or, as it were, $74.)