WWDC 2011 banners going up at Moscone Center

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Why would it be 4GS? That's just unnecessarily complicated. It will be iPhone 5 running iOS 5.

Definitely called iPhone 5; but what I'm wondering about is if Apple will add colors this time around. I'm not in the market for a "nanochromatic" iPhone, but it does seem to be something Apple will eventually do.
  • Reply 62 of 103
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Wait, so will iCloud replace MobileMe? Can I get my $99 back? (Or, as it were, $74.)

It will likely completely replace it, but I don't think you'll be wanting your money back. It'll obviously add features that will complement MobileMe's current offerings.
  • Reply 63 of 103
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

...working silently behind the scenes -- backing up your home content to the cloud; caching locally, based on usage; syncing among all your computers and iDevices...

..your data is secure, and available at your fingertips -- whenever you need it, wherever you are.

The product to support this concept, and integrate the Home and Cloud -- is an enhanced, industrial-strength, TimeCapsule.

Then, in July, the same services will be available for the Pros who use FCPX.

Exactly, Home Server meets TimeCapsule. Smart TimeCapsule - Its a nice idea
  • Reply 64 of 103
    orange whiporange whip Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The two largest facets of Apple software are getting major updates and a third is being created.

You want "pizazz", stare at some banners for Adobe and Microsoft for a while. Apple's products make the advertising, not the other way around.

I don't see any difference between the banners and the product. They both remove superfluous detail. They don't need "pizazz', it just needs to work elegantly - and that's where the aesthetic is.
  • Reply 65 of 103
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

You're right! I can't even imagine sitting there with a joint and watching to Ballmer Etc.'s off-keynotes.

But the question is, could you have watched Apple's keynotes before 1997?

The keynotes are exciting because Jobs is a very charismatic person. I think people would watch a Steve Jobs keynote no matter what company he worked for or what he was selling.
  • Reply 66 of 103
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Please dear sweet baby Jesus, let the "one more thing" be that iPhone is coming to Sprint.

No! T-mobile!
  • Reply 67 of 103
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Or perhaps it's something more. Dropbox.com already does a good job of syncing a SINGLE folder where you can put stuff.

Perhaps the iCloud integration allows you to turn ANY folder into a WebDAV folder that can by synced using iCloud or accessed remotely through iCloud.com. This would enable you to "share/sync" your music folder, photos folder, documents folder, etc. Everything tied to your iTunes/iCloud account.

You would be able to VIEW any file (thumbnail or QuickLook-esque) on any synced Mac/iOS device, and then download a local copy of any file on demand (to conserve storage). I don't need EVERY file on every computer/device I own, but I should be able to easily view and access it natively and download a full copy with a double click.

I would looooove iCloud if I could mirror all of my hard drives to the cloud. I know there are services that do this, but I'd rather give the job to Apple.
  • Reply 68 of 103
    kriskkalukriskkalu Posts: 59member
    There will be a new iPhone introduced! Apple want's to surprise and later tell you, don't believe everything you hear out there.
  • Reply 69 of 103
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No! T-mobile!

Since it looks like AT&T will be buying T-Mobile, chances are they will be getting it before us long-suffering Sprint customers...
  • Reply 70 of 103
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

There will be a new iPhone introduced! Apple want's to surprise and later tell you, don't believe everything you hear out there.

Actually I've seen it in a ton of places first. And no, it won't happen. Probably...
  • Reply 71 of 103
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    WOT

Is anyone here old enough to remember when the Winer Wagon was a vehicle -- not a gesture in a Twitter?
  • Reply 72 of 103
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Exactly, Home Server meets TimeCapsule. Smart TimeCapsule - Its a nice idea

You might be on to something there.

The way it usually works with Apple is every devotee needs to justify buying everything they make so any new product has to either fit between two existing products or on rare occasion replace an existing product.

So if you look at the line up, everyone should own an iPod, iPhone, iPad, Mac Mini, MBP, iMac, Magic Mouse, Track Pad, Mac Pro, AppleTV, Time Capsule, AirPort, and this iCloud home server whatever thing running Lion/iOS hybrid... which, if it is indeed hardware, might replace Time Capsule.
  • Reply 73 of 103
    iccguyiccguy Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nonimus View Post

I'm just waiting for someone to associate it with the Rolling Stones "Get Off of My Cloud"

I was thinking the same thing.....Apple could surely come up with a commercial jingle using the original Stones tune....slightly modified...."Hey, Hey, You, You, get onto my cloud"
  • Reply 74 of 103
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    I seem to remember Apple started iTools or .Mac this way. Free at first, then you had to pay to continue. Or maybe you had to pay to keep full services. Anybody else recall?
  • Reply 75 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I seem to remember Apple started iTools or .Mac this way. Free at first, then you had to pay to continue. Or maybe you had to pay to keep full services. Anybody else recall?

I believe iTools was completely free and .Mac was a paid service, outside of the trial period.
  • Reply 76 of 103
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I believe iTools was completely free and .Mac was a paid service, outside of the trial period.

AIR, iTools was completely free to start...

... Then a small charge for email and other services (cloud storage) -- that became .mac.
  • Reply 77 of 103
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

AIR, iTools was completely free to start...

... Then a small charge for email and other services (cloud storage) -- that became .mac.

Yes, I think you're right Dick. So it would be completely consistent with past practice for Apple to offer iCloud for free at first, then charge. I just wonder how this articulates with MobileMe, which I am currently paying for. Will iCloud just be rolled in to my existing service, or will it be distinct from MM?
  • Reply 78 of 103
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member
    One More Thing = New Mac Pros

Can't wait to get me one with 40 logical cores (dual 10 core hyperthreaded)!

(and yes, I can actually use them.... I just finished running my software on 12,000 cores!)
  • Reply 79 of 103
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

When do you think iOS 5.0 will be available to download after the announcement? How does Apple normally do this?

Also, do you think 1 more thing will be iPhone 4GS?

There is no normal. Sometimes the release is immediate other times a couple of months later. In this case I'm guessing release soon after WWDC.

I suspect thing will be interesting hardware wise
  • Reply 80 of 103
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    The iCloud logo sadly just doesn't move me in ways Apple has before. I am at a crossroads. *Sniff*