Microsoft rumored to announce subscription TV service as Apple's iCloud looms

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A new rumor claims Microsoft will announce an Xbox LIVE subscription TV service next week at the E3 conference on the heels of Apple's unveiling of its iCloud service.

Winrumors reports that, according to sources familiar with Microsoft's plans, the Redmond, Wash., software giant is set to take the wraps off an Xbox LIVE subscription TV service next week. "The company is on lockdown for its big announcement and some demos and details might be held back if agreements are not in place in time," the report noted.

The service, which will reportedly be named Xbox LIVE Diamond, will combine Microsoft's "mediaroom IPTV services" with Xbox LIVE. "Microsoft is likely to demo deeper integration of its Avatar Kinect service and the company?s new music and video services," the report added.

Microsoft has allegedly proposed a "virtual cable operator" with a monthly subscription fee to media companies. The service could also be used to authenticate existing cable subscribers, allowing them to watch shows and interact with their Xbox LIVE friends.

Frank Shaw, Microsoft's corporate vice president of corporate communications, indicated earlier this week in a company blog post that the company's entertainment strategy centers around the Xbox. "Xbox is the gateway to games, music, movies and TV shows ? in short, it is central to entertainment," he wrote

"Next Monday at E3 in Los Angeles, the Xbox home entertainment pot will be boiling over during a 90-minute event," Shaw hinted, adding that the "company is turning up the heat on a whole new era of home entertainment."

The Electronic Entertainment Expo opens on Tuesday, June 7 , though Microsoft is expected to unveil the service at a media briefing on Monday. If true, the announcement will coincide with Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference. Apple confirmed on Tuesday that it will present iCloud, iOS 5 and Lion at the WWDC keynote on Monday, June 6 at 10 a.m. Pacific.

According to the report, both Microsoft and Apple are rushing to finalize deals with rights holders ahead of the big announcements. ?Microsoft is currently in last minute negotiations to secure the necessary agreements in time,? said the report's source. ?Apple is in a similar position, speaking to several media groups ahead of its iCloud announcement on Monday.?

For its part, Apple is said to be in the midst of negotiations with major Hollywood film and TV studios to allow customers to store content on Apple's servers via the iCloud service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Electronic Entertainment Expo opens on Tuesday, June 7 , though Microsoft is expected to unveil the service at a media briefing on Monday. If true, the announcement will coincide with Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference. Apple confirmed on Tuesday that it will present iCloud, iOS 5 and Lion at the WWDC keynote on Monday, June 6 at 10 a.m. Pacific.

I wonder which announcement will get more press coverage?
  • Reply 2 of 92
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

In the end, does it matter? More cool stuff is always appreciated.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Apple for certain, unless it's more significiant than what's suggested Microsofts announcement is a US only release, partly because it already exists in other countries. In the UK their are only 2 tv subscription services and it already does one of those.

However is anyone else finding the press coverage of Apple to be dropping recently? It used to be a case during the iPod era and start of iPhones that Apple products were reported on as "Apples next big thing", but this year (in the UK at least) when the iPad 2 and Nintendo 3DS came out it on the same day it was Nintendo that got the airtime. This week I also heard a news item on iCloud, but rather than anticipation of something amazing it was more about it Apple having to get it right following the failure of Mobile Me.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    So, Apple and MS have add-on boxes that are internet connected. But with TV's coming out with internet built-in, and software built-in with connections to Hulu and Amazon and Google, and will run apps, having an add-on box will not be good enough. Apple with have to build their own TV to include AppleTV inside with Content and Apps.
  • Reply 5 of 92
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Ohhhh..... Dueling Keynotes...
  • Reply 6 of 92
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    On closer reading -- the MS offering appears to be an infrastructure in search of an ecosystem.
  • Reply 7 of 92
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member
    Unless it includes live sporting events there is no reason to have TV.
  • Reply 8 of 92
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Oh goody, another MajorCrap "me too" product. Apple HAS something so, MC has to SAY they're GONNA have something. Me too, look at me, look at me, don't look at them, ours will be better. I am so underwhelmed.
  • Reply 9 of 92
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

Unless it includes live sporting events there is no reason to have TV.

Don't tell that to my grandmother.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

Oh goody, another MajorCrap "me too" product. Apple HAS something so, MC has to SAY they're GONNA have something. Me too, look at me, look at me, don't look at them, ours will be better. I am so underwhelmed.

Microsoft already offers subscription TV in the UK on Xbox 360.

http://skyplayer.sky.com/devices/

This includes all of the major sports channels and is a partnership with the biggest subscription broadcaster, BSkyB, which is part of News Corporation.
  • Reply 11 of 92
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Hasn't MS done this multiple times before? WebTV, MSN, etc?
  • Reply 12 of 92
    bk212bk212 Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

At last years E3, Microsoft launched the fastest-selling consumer device in history which is Guinness record holder.

Last year, Apple launched Ping.

So, I wouldn't be too overconfident, Apple fans.

Besides, iCloud is probably just a rip off of Spotify, Amazon and Google services.
  • Reply 13 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Hasn't MS done this multiple times before? WebTV, MSN, etc?

So Apple should not have released a smartphone because Rokr and Newton failed?

Microsoft has 35 million active Xbox Live users on broadband. That's more than Comcast subscribers. You never know, it could work.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Microsoft already offers subscription TV in the UK on Xbox 360.

http://skyplayer.sky.com/devices/

This includes all of the major sports channels and is a partnership with the biggest subscription broadcaster, BSkyB, which is part of News Corporation.

They do this in Australia as well.

http://www.foxtel.com.au/xbox/default.htm

I don't think this Microsoft announcement is just a response to iCloud (although it may overlap some iCloud functionality). It seems to be something they have been working up toward for a year or more.

The rumour goes they will merge Zune Marketplace, Zune Pass and Xbox Live together into one service. I can't remember the code name... maybe "Fusion"... (or then again that could be a Kinect game ). If they eventually join that with Skydrive/Office Web Apps (kind of like Google Docs - but better), Live Mesh (like Drop Box - but not as good), Media Player sharing (private cloud media streaming) and Windows 7 libraries (one virtual file space with multiple file sources) then they are on their way to a damn nice cloud offering.
  • Reply 15 of 92
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    Awesome. So when I get yet another 'red ring of death' on my XBox 360, I'll be without TV service for weeks. Sorry, no go. I like my XBox, just wish they were more reliable.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Awesome. So when I get yet another 'red ring of death' on my XBox 360, I'll be without TV service for weeks. Sorry, no go. I like my XBox, just wish they were more reliable.

At least Microsoft gave people free replacements and a 3 year warranty. MS then redesigned the entire device.

Apple would have just told users, you were "holding it wrong".
  • Reply 17 of 92
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bk212 View Post

At least Microsoft gave people free replacements and a 3 year warranty. MS then redesigned the entire device.

Apple would have just told users, you were "holding it wrong".

Yes, I know. I had the original, which over two years had to be sent back in twice for red circle of death, then bought the new version, which had the red circle of death right out of the box, returned and replaced it, 6 months later, once again another red circle. I like the XBox and the game titles, but Ive had enough. This is the sentiment of more and more M$ users, which is one of the reasons Apple continues to grow in every tacit of it's business, during these tough economic times.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    drfreemandrfreeman Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bk212 View Post

At last years E3, Microsoft launched the fastest-selling consumer device in history which is Guinness record holder.

Last year, Apple launched Ping.

So, I wouldn't be too overconfident, Apple fans.

Besides, iCloud is probably just a rip off of Spotify, Amazon and Google services.

Do not be too harsh!

Ping: I think it should be dropped in favour of Twitter. I do not use it myself but if people want to use it, then let them have a Twitter account. I cannot really see an added value here by spending money on Ping, money better spend on other things!

iCloud: no one knows the exact details and we can find out in two days

Rip off: I do not really care whether it is a rip off nor should you! Does it work and does it do what you want it to do? If it turned out that it does then good for everyone otherwise bad for Apple!

It is really good that MS is getting more active! This may help reduce wholesale license prices so MS, Amazon, Apple and others may get better deals from content providers and distributors!

I am enjoying listening to Beethoven in London, thought of sharing that with everyone
  • Reply 19 of 92
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Apple for certain, unless it's more significiant than what's suggested Microsofts announcement is a US only release, partly because it already exists in other countries. In the UK their are only 2 tv subscription services and it already does one of those.

However is anyone else finding the press coverage of Apple to be dropping recently? It used to be a case during the iPod era and start of iPhones that Apple products were reported on as "Apples next big thing", but this year (in the UK at least) when the iPad 2 and Nintendo 3DS came out it on the same day it was Nintendo that got the airtime. This week I also heard a news item on iCloud, but rather than anticipation of something amazing it was more about it Apple having to get it right following the failure of Mobile Me.

Mobileme a failure? Only according to the press and early adopters who didn't stick with it. I"m a very happy mobileme user, the service is amazing, and the very best value for an all-in-one solution available. It's a brilliant set of web and sync services and it's incredibly inexpensive.
  • Reply 20 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Mobileme a failure? Only according to the press and early adopters who didn't stick with it. I"m a very happy mobileme user, the service is amazing, and the very best value for an all-in-one solution available. It's a brilliant set of web and sync services and it's incredibly inexpensive.

True, I certainly think it's worth the price, but first impressions can be lasting and MM's were bad. They may have to rebrand it because of that.