Apple to sell Mac OS X 10.7 Lion for $29.99 only in Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 101 of 139
    4 macs in the house. Hope I don't have to download the bloody Lion 4 times. My ISP will probably shut me down. I wish Apple would publish the actual options for Lion on multiple computers, restores, etc. I ran away from the PC world for many reasons and I will tell you restoring from a hidden drectory on the hard drive is NOT an option. Plus not everyone has 4GB to spare.
  • Reply 102 of 139
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vintagegeek View Post

4 macs in the house. Hope I don't have to download the bloody Lion 4 times. My ISP will probably shut me down. I wish Apple would publish the actual options for Lion on multiple computers, restores, etc. I ran away from the PC world for many reasons and I will tell you restoring from a hidden drectory on the hard drive is NOT an option. Plus not everyone has 4GB to spare.

Download it once and move it to other 3 Macs with flash drive or external hard drive or even burn DVD. What's the problem
  • Reply 103 of 139
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:

Please stop with the drama. Do you download media? As Apple said, an HD movie runs about 4GB. Watch a few TV shows and you're at 4GB. No ISP cares about 4GB. And if you're really concerned, just take your MacBook to a public wifi area like an Apple store or a library.

Restoring from a separate partition IS an option (it's installed with Lion by default). It's simple, it works, and you'll probably never need to use it anyway.

As Povilas said, you can probably move the installer with a flash drive or external disk.
  • Reply 104 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Download it once and move it to other 3 Macs with flash drive or external hard drive or even burn DVD. What's the problem

That would be great. I just wish Apple would publish it.
  • Reply 105 of 139
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Please stop with the drama. Do you download media? As Apple said, an HD movie runs about 4GB. Watch a few TV shows and you're at 4GB. No ISP cares about 4GB. And if you're really concerned, just take your MacBook to a public wifi area like an Apple store or a library.

Restoring from a separate partition IS an option (it's installed with Lion by default). It's simple, it works, and you'll probably never need to use it anyway.

As Povilas said, you can probably move the installer with a flash drive or external disk.

My only gripe is if the download messes up halfway, then you've got to keep downloading GBs and GBs... Yes my ISP is that useless. At least with music and videos it's resumeable. Big difference.

That said, digital downloads is where it's at, I can't complain. Manufacturing and shipping all those DVDs is finally coming to an end.
  • Reply 106 of 139
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

I think there are some assumptions regarding folks who have hardware that can handle Lion - and how likely they are to have high speed internet. Or maybe Apple is using its own download metrics to gauge how many users have sufficiently fast internet to make download a viable option.

Perhaps they will change their tune when only 10% of users choose to upgrade via download. (or whatever percentage do so).

Maybe they want to have a better idea of just how many users have upgraded - could be part of the reasons for App Store only - of course download once and install throughout your network doesn't tell them any more than buy one copy of DVD and install throughout your network. Maybe asking for download on a second machine can identify the already downloaded copy on your network - or at least if using the same Apple ID that recognizes you have already downloaded will give you an option to locate the file on your network. Which actually allows for a form of validation - even if you have a downloaded copy - if the machine you are trying to load it on isn't authorized under your Apple ID - then it will not install.

recent iOS updates only take me about 5 minutes to download - so I should be okay even if I end up needing to download it several times.
  • Reply 107 of 139
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

My only gripe is if the download messes up halfway, then you've got to keep downloading GBs and GBs... Yes my ISP is that useless. At least with music and videos it's resumeable. Big difference.

it'll be resumable. The technology to resume has been around a while.
  • Reply 108 of 139
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I don't think I've downloaded more than a gigabyte file in one shot. Streaming doesn't count because streams can break up for fractions of a second and they resume without any action.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Apple has zero interest in computers that do any sort of production work period.

Lion could very likely be the last OS they develop for desktop platforms before they discontinue them altogether.

7 years from now people will be buying iMac's for $10k and the only thing they will do is display a picture of Steve Jobs with the word 'Worship' under it in a real nice Garamond font.

Any sort of production work? Don't you mean your kind of production work? Just the "restore" feature will pay for the OS pretty quickly in productivity for me. I might even start switching to Mac for my work because of Lion's new features. I didn't before because the existing computer worked well enough. Restore is a feature I was wishing for for almost a decade now. Firewire printing was axed and gone long ago, axed in Tiger I think, it doesn't make sense to bring it up now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by habi View Post

So why dont you do it now? This has been possible for years. I dont remember when i´ve used the DVD:s...

Just insert the dvd and use diskutility to make copy to your usb stick. Then just select this as your boot drive in settings and boot to the install-usb-stick.

Just because it was possible before doesn't mean that it was necessarily beneficial to do so. I reinstall so rarely that I don't see the value in buying a USB stick dedicated just for an OS installer.
  • Reply 109 of 139
    I can't wait to watch the Internet and the ISPs on L-Day when Lion becomes available for download. Should be fun to watch. Wonder how the ISPs will deal with it.
  • Reply 110 of 139
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Just so it's clear up front: I think Lion has a lot of interesting features that many user will like. What I write below is simply my opinion on Lion's negatives WRT how I use my Mac for work and fun.

I have been a part of Apple's Appleseed beta program since it began in March. I've been totally immersed in Lion as I've used it for eight-ten hours a day as my primary OS. It has resided on an OWC SSD inside my early 2009 Mac Mini.

1. Preview. I absolutely detest the "versioning" feature in the Lion version of Preview, even though a couple of fellow commenters provided some interesting thoughts about it. My way of doing things since the 1970s is to save early and often, using the cmd-s key combo on Macs since day 1. While some applications will do an auto-save for you, these saves are the entire document. You can all go read on the Apple site how the new versioning works in Preview so I won't go into it here. My problem is that I cannot save a new copy to save my soul. Recently I needed to send a single page from a 20-page PDF document. I thought I had deleted all but the one page in Preview yet the person to whom I sent it asked why I sent everything. So Preview saved the whole document, not just the single page that I wanted. This is the tip of my war against Preview.

2. Mail The new mail really likes to group threads together, even combining previously-read eamils that I thought I had trashed. When I trash an email, I expect it to be gone. Yes, I know that you can go "delete the email trash" somehow, but I really don't want old emails being resurrected just to join a thread. And yes, Mail has an option to have it behave like the old Mail.

3. No Rosetta I know, we have to move forward so OS X doesn't get bloated with support for legacy apps but there are two programs that I use several days a week that are Rosetta-based, so I have needed to boot into Snow Leo just to perform some work with them. Please, no flames about this point!

4. Sluggish It may be my older computer but when I run Lion for a day or two without restarting, overall performance gets jumpy. I'll be typing along when all of a sudden the cursor simply stops even though I'm still typing. After a couple of seconds, the text that I've typed will suddenly appear and off we go again. Other things that happen are slow window drags, slow scrolling (I use a scroll wheel) and slow window refreshes. I've opened Activity Monitor and that shows nothing hogging the memory or processor. According to AM things are working fine. I've booted on my Lion backup drive and I get the same results. Restarting clears things up.

5. Loss of color I really like having colorful icons in my sidebar and elsewhere so this shift by Apple toward shades of gray is not to my liking. It's hard to distinguish among several objects if there aren't the traditional color cues.

6. Address Book I use it a lot and while the look of the new version is nice, it tries to be too smart for me. I like the way the traditional AB looks with three columns and I dislike having to go back and forth from the groups area to individual cards. It's just not comfortable for me.

7. Spotlight Most of the time when I use Spotlight to search for something, I like to know where that file is located. In the Snow Leo Spotlight, a tooltip appears when you mouse over an item that shows the path. This is much easier for me than having to do a cmd-click to open the file's enclosing folder. I don't want to go to the folder, I just want to know where it is.

===

While I've been using Lion I noticed a number of apps that don't work under Lion, though developers assure me that there will be Lion versions soon after it's announced. Having gone through the same process with other OS X releases, I have a lot of confidence in the development community

In closing I do want to mention that there are some very attractive new features but they aren't compelling enough for me to buy and install the FCS copy. There are other new features that will make a lot of people pretty excited but are total yawners for me (such as full-screen apps). I am certain that Lion will be very appealing to new users and old, just not to this ancient one.

i use filemaker ro 5.5

i never could upgrade

the fantastic data based SW rocks at 5.5

i even tried with tons of babying form FMP helpers tp upgrade FMP 11

iam am still on FMP5.5 TODAY

You are hinting that lion will kill rosetta

i hope not

all of your reasons for staying back suck

get over yourself and move on

i myself may be forced too

let me know

• Reply 111 of 139
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

you are acting like a big baby .

unless your on dial up with 9 girls in your house

• Reply 112 of 139
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think I've downloaded more than a gigabyte file in one shot. Streaming doesn't count because streams can break up for fractions of a second and they resume without any action.

So can downloads - and other TCP/IP related traffic.
  • Reply 113 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Plus not everyone has 4GB to spare.

Then you don't have to worry about downloading Lion because you don't give a flying frick about it anyway.

Anyone with only 4 free gigabytes on their machine either has a machine too old for Lion (or even Tiger) or doesn't care enough about how their computer works to want an upgrade.
  • Reply 114 of 139
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I think there are some assumptions regarding folks who have hardware that can handle Lion - and how likely they are to have high speed internet.

Users download big games from Steam and Mac App Store all the time, so 4 GB Lion install is not even that big. My internet speed right now is ~3-4 Mbps and of course better at night (HSDPA). I can download ~8 GB overnight. Also downloads can be paused and resumed.

I think some are making a problem where there is no problem at all.
  • Reply 115 of 139
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The download via the Mac App Store was obvious from the first beta release but I'm surprised they aren't offering any DVD, even at an increase $20 per disc or bundle with lLife and iWork, or with OS X Lion Server, especially outside the US.

Quote:

I can't wait to watch the Internet and the ISPs on L-Day when Lion becomes available for download. Should be fun to watch. Wonder how the ISPs will deal with it.

I wouldn't expect any issues from them. We're talking about a desktop OS and a file size comparable to a 2 hour HD movie on iTunes Store.

The ones that should be concerned is Apple. If there servers choke on this it won't look good. Same goes for iCloud going live. For iCloud I really wish they would have given it to current MobileMe users and then issued "golden tickets" for current users to disperse until they know they can handle the loads. But hey, if they are sure they can handle all that data and all those requests without real world load testing then more power to them.
  • Reply 116 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevinneal View Post

How is this going to work in the business world, do we now have to set up an itunes account for each user? or are there business iTunes accounts.

Do we have to download Lion separately on every mac in the company?

Here's a link that walks you through finding file and creating disk.

http://www.blogchampion.com/blog/201...r-from-ap.html
  • Reply 117 of 139
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:

Bingo!

I just don't understand all the comments about the perceived difficulty in downloading, creating a disc with the installer on it, going from mac to Mac and installing the new OS. What's the difficulty in comprehending this? It appears that too many are making Mt. Everest out of an anthill.

In my own case I have a cheap FW external drive that has several partitions on it: My latest OS X, Drive Genius, and Disk Warrior. If I need to do any troubleshooting I just reboot and hold down the ALT key while booting, and select whichever partition I wish. This way is a lot easier and faster than using an optical drive and I can use it on any of our four Macs. IIRC a similarly-partitioned USB drive ought to work as well.
  • Reply 118 of 139
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i use filemaker ro 5.5

i never could upgrade

the fantastic data based SW rocks at 5.5

i even tried with tons of babying form FMP helpers tp upgrade FMP 11

iam am still on FMP5.5 TODAY

You are hinting that lion will kill rosetta

i hope not

all of your reasons for staying back suck

get over yourself and move on

i myself may be forced too

let me know

BruceP: To you my reasons suck big time; for me they don't. We can agree to disagree.

WRT Rosetta, I am not hinting that Lion will kill it, I am stating a fact. Rosetta will not be part of Lion. Period.

Good luck whichever path you decide to travel.
  • Reply 119 of 139
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Are you serious? Don't you know how to copy the file the app store downloads to other machines? Apple even tells you how! (look for it yourself).

Eriamjh, does this also pertain to any App downloaded via the App Store? If so, could you supply me with that Apple link? I'd just Thanks
  • Reply 120 of 139
    airmanairman Posts: 1member
    I think it is so cool that Apple is releasing Lion via the Mac App Store - can't wait to install it.

Apologies if this has been asked, but does anyone know if installation is going to be complicated? Or do you just download Lion and install it just like that? Also, is Lion going to be like Snow Leopard and just upgrade Leopard or is it going to erase everything on my hard drive, etc?

Airman