Apple to sell Mac OS X 10.7 Lion for $29.99 only in Mac App Store

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Airman View Post

Or do you just download Lion and install it just like that?

Yes.

Quote:

Also, is Lion going to be like Snow Leopard and just upgrade Leopard or is it going to erase everything on my hard drive, etc?

Yes.

Meaning whatever you choose.
  • Reply 122 of 139
    Once you've downloaded the installer once, you can copy it to any Mac you want to run it on. The current releases are not locked in any way, it just works. So as long as you plan ahead, there's no need to download it multiple times.

For the reinstall case, I'd recommend saving a copy of the installer somewhere for future use. I do this for any software I download, just in case. (I have a Hazel rule that does it automatically.) You could certainly burn the installer to a DVD to use it, though I don't know if you can make that DVD bootable.

It does work on an existing OS install. I don't know if that's recommended yet on the previews, but I'm certain it will be by the time it's released.

I've been working on getting rid of my dependence on PPC apps in preparation. Nikon Capture for my film scanner was a biggie, so I went with Vuescan, which works well and is an intel binary. I've got a couple other ones, like CardIris, but I'm just ditching that one (I'm scanning business cards with my phone now rather than the Scansnap). Camera makers are terrible at updating their software, unfortunately. I'd recommend finding a replacement for the Finepix software. Will iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw work with it? That would be a more future proof system.

One thing I don't know about would be whether I can set up network boots of the OS installs with Mac OS X server the way I have been with Snow Leopard. On my home network, I rarely use the install DVD, since I can netboot it.
  • Reply 123 of 139
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then you don't have to worry about downloading Lion because you don't give a flying frick about it anyway.

Anyone with only 4 free gigabytes on their machine either has a machine too old for Lion (or even Tiger) or doesn't care enough about how their computer works to want an upgrade.

Stop that drivel now! Only because You have a large old platter harddrive and not state of the art ssd:s should you have something to say here. SSD:s are expensive and small capacity but extremely fast. As my macbook air doesnt fit both i installed an 80 GB intel ssd but its getting full quite often....
  • Reply 124 of 139
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    I was wondering about the Lion Server changes. I suspect the mail (postfix/imap) will still be the same under the hood, so my virtual domain mail setup will still work. But I am wondering about the following:

- I know have several users who are not on my location and whose Open DIrectory accounts are mail-only. They do not have login capability and home directories. Does this remain a possibility?

- Squirrelmail has been replaced by something more 'this day and age' in terms of UI. But Squirrelmail has one big advantage for me: management of server side sorting rules. Irrespectively of from where I log in, my mail has already been sorted according to the server side rules. And these rules also give me finer control over the use of OS X Server's spam rating values and what to do with ratings at various levels. What is the new tool and does it have those capabilities?
  • Reply 125 of 139
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Did anybody else notice that the multitouch scrolling in the demo was backwards to what it is now?

In the demo (at about 7:25), it shows fingers on a touchpad moving up to scroll the page down. Hard to describe, but instead of moving in the direction the button on the scroll bar moves, it moves the opposite way.

That is to say, to scroll down to see the bottom of the page, the fingers moved up the touchpad.

I hope that's a mistake in the video, and not a new "feature" of Lion.
  • Reply 126 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I hope that's a mistake in the video, and not a new "feature" of Lion.

You don't know much about Lion, do you?

That's default. How could the video be a mistake? Lion scrolling is iOS' scrolling.
  • Reply 127 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You don't know much about Lion, do you?

That's default. How could the video be a mistake? Lion scrolling is iOS' scrolling.

And how would I know about Lion, not being a developer and not being an iOS user? That's why I asked.

In iOS you're actually touching the screen, which makes it different.

I still use a computer as a computer, and somehow it seems like moving your fingers downward just might move you toward the bottom of the page, as it has for 25 years. Silly me - does this also mean that if you use a mouse, the scroll ball will work the same way? You'll scroll the ball up to read the bottom of the page?

And yes, the video could be a mistake, because it was a split-screen video - the fingers that were scrolling were in a different frame than the scrolling document was.
  • Reply 128 of 139
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    It's no big deal. It takes a day or two to get used to it. If you can't or don't want to, you can change it in System Prefs.
  • Reply 129 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

It's no big deal. It takes a day or two to get used to it. If you can't or don't want to, you can change it in System Prefs.

Thanks - I was hoping for that option.
  • Reply 130 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

And how would I know about Lion, not being a developer and not being an iOS user?

I'm both. How you think you can say otherwise is beyond me.

Quote:

And yes, the video could be a mistake, because it was a split-screen video - the fingers that were scrolling were in a different frame than the scrolling document was.

This is Apple you're talking about. Something like that wouldn't happen.

And it's not an error, as I said. That's Lion's new default.
  • Reply 131 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

I *hope* we will be able to burn a boot drive. But you know how the App store is with copying programs...

Lion looks reallly impressive with its new features, However I am deeply concerned that there is no option to buy a physical DVD. 4GB is a big chunk of data to download from the app store and what happens if your mac crashes and you have to reinstall Lion ; with no physical support and since your conputer crashed, there is no way to go to the internet to download it again, or would there be a hidden recovery partition like on Windows systems ? I really wished there was a Lion DVD available to purchase.

\
  • Reply 132 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQ78 View Post

... that having it available at the App store for $29 means that it won't be available on DVD for say $49 (or whatever.)

And for those who are thinking of responding by saying, "I shouldn't have to pay $10 or $20 or whatever more for a DVD" you have it backwards. You are paying $10 or $20 less for NOT getting it on media.

... and heck, it might even be available on DVD for the same price... Let's wait and see folks.

-IQ78

Well they specifically said in the keynote presentation that Lion will only be available on the Mac app store.
  • Reply 133 of 139
    vojislavvojislav Posts: 1member
    I am writing this letter from Germany.

Upgrading to best and newest is my policy.

That should be the same with Lion.

However, Apple forgot the customers as I am - with residence out of US, and with internet providers that recognize the language and software versions on their respective countries - in my case Germany, and German language.

In my case, only AppStore I can approach is with +.de extension, and only version of Lion I can download is - on German language, which I do not want - I want English version.

In the past, i ordered trough Apple provider retail DVD with English version of OSX, and it seems that now, that is impossible.

One of the solution is to "lie" and make my residence in UK (in my profile), with improved address etc, which I do not want to perform.

My proposal is that in App Store Apple make available download of Lion in language customers really want, and not to limit to "Area" language. Otherwise I will not (and I believe I am not lonely case)upgrade to Lion in some other language than English.

It seems that with good idea - release of cheep software trough download - not everyone is happy.

Respectfully,

Vojislav
  • Reply 134 of 139
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vojislav View Post

In my case, only AppStore I can approach is with +.de extension, and only version of Lion I can download is - on German language, which I do not want - I want English version.

Lion contains all languages. There is no German version (or English for that matter).
  • Reply 135 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

If you are on a PowerPC Mac you can only update to 10.5, but good luck finding a retail copy.

I have an Intel Mac laptop and an extremely reliable PowerPC G4 Dual processor in 10.5.8 that still rockets along. Now that MobileMe will be gone will I have any access to iCloud? I tried Google Calendar twice and each time it has been a mess.

Anyone?
  • Reply 136 of 139
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ms110016 View Post

I have an Intel Mac laptop and an extremely reliable PowerPC G4 Dual processor in 10.5.8 that still rockets along. Now that MobileMe will be gone will I have any access to iCloud? I tried Google Calendar twice and each time it has been a mess.

Anyone?

I think you'll get another year of MobileMe for free, then that's it. Google services do improve over time, just gradually, so if it's been a year since your last try, it might be worth another shot.
  • Reply 137 of 139
    ms110016ms110016 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think you'll get another year of MobileMe for free, then that's it. Google services do improve over time, just gradually, so if it's been a year since your last try, it might be worth another shot.

Thanks, Jeff. I tried three days ago. Not syncing properly and events disappear. Bob
  • Reply 138 of 139
    ms110016ms110016 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ms110016 View Post

Thanks, Jeff. I tried three days ago. Not syncing properly and events disappear. Bob

That is, I tried Google Calendar. Well, I have a year.
  • Reply 139 of 139
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Missed the ONLY part. Watched the keynote.

Wrong again. It's likely 4GB because it is a differential update (not all of the OS is ever new).

Wrong again. Apple is not going to provide a 'differential update' for a brand new OS release. That is stupid and asking for trouble. It's 4GB compressed and it's because it's about the same as Snow Leopard's size.