First taste of Apple's iCloud available with iTunes 10.3, iOS App Store

Comments

• Reply 61 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggsjm View Post

Any word on whether Apple will allow you to consolidate Apple IDs? I have like 5 that I've used over the past few years. Many are one's that I could no longer use due to losing a domain or a mobile me user name that I lost after discontinuing service.

I had this a while back. They did mine. You have to ask them to do it for you and they will.
  • Reply 62 of 93
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Interesting. I am able to re-download previously purchased tracks with iTunes on my iPhone but a couple dozen of them are downloaded as 128 Kbps DRM versions. So much for that 256 Kbps business. Also, a few music videos give me a "cannot be re-downloaded" error.
  • Reply 63 of 93
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Interesting. I am able to re-download previously purchased tracks with iTunes on my iPhone but a couple dozen of them are downloaded as 128 Kbps DRM versions. So much for that 256 Kbps business. Also, a few music videos give me a "cannot be re-downloaded" error.

Not all music has been updated to iTunes + by the record companies, and some music isn't available in the store anymore.
  • Reply 64 of 93
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Not all music has been updated to iTunes + by the record companies, and some music isn't available in the store anymore.

I just checked and the music videos are still on the iTunes Store and I've confirmed that at least two of the audio tracks are available as iTunes Plus.
  • Reply 65 of 93
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I sure as hell wouldn't provide cloud services to a Family who buys one 5GB account and then give them M more accounts, each with 5GB, to extend their total account and not get financially compensated. Would you?

What you're saying doesn't make much sense. Considering it's free anyway, i.e. you don't "buy" your iCloud account, it wouldn't really make much difference to Apple. Songs that that are not on the iTunes store, and thus uploaded, will probably only be on Apple's server once. A Dropbox-like algorithm will be employed so files are compared, and identical ones deleted in the cloud to save space. i.e. A file is uploaded, and has a checksum calculated. Another user uploads a file with the same checksum, and so Apple just links the second user's upload to the first, saving space.

Plus, the users have actually bought the device from Apple in the first place, so it's not like Apple's not getting paid in a roundabout way.

Perhaps they could have a system to share only music between accounts. Then all other data could be separate, but music would stay in sync between devices owned by different people in the family. However, I really don't see the labels allowing that.
  • Reply 66 of 93
    Quote:

I just checked and the music videos are still on the iTunes Store and I've confirmed that at least two of the audio tracks are available as iTunes Plus.

Some are, some aren't not to hard to understand. Things get removed from the iTunes Store all the time. As for the 128Kbps, if this is all they have then this is all they have. Buy the CD and rip a higher bitrate version but please don't start whining about it.
  • Reply 67 of 93
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Quote:

I believe you only get the 256kbps AAC with the new Match service at $24.99 a year.
  • Reply 68 of 93
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What stands out the most here from this musing, is how awkward and complicated it gets if Apple allows people to share accounts.

Whether apple "allows" it or not, account sharing is a fact of life, particularly among families. And trying to handle a family situation with all separate accounts is no better, in some ways far worse.

The situation exists, and apple needs to figure out ways to handle it or end up with lots of pissed off customers. "Don't hold it that way" isn't really a solution.

Personally I like the proposed solution of sub accounts. And let users split those accounts up later and decide which content goes to which account in those situations.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

This is a rumors site. WTF? \ You are bringing down the curve for everyone.

WTF indeed. I can't even figure out what you're whining about - if you disagree with something, disagree with it, don't just prattle on without getting anything across.
  • Reply 69 of 93
    jim5656jim5656 Posts: 12member
    After I download it and try to install, it keeps telling me I just got the 32bit version and I need the 64bit.

Is anyone having this issue? I need the 64bit but for some reason keep getting the damn 32bit.
  • Reply 70 of 93
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No. Apple uses the other meaning of "sharing."

When you are "sharing" your AppleID, you are just letting someone else have access to your stuff.

You are not both "sharing" the same ID (the normal sense of "sharing").

I think a lot of folks will be bitten in the bum by this with the new setup. Apple says your "sharing" the account, but the word isn't really being used in the sense most people think it is.

There's almost a transition between 2 systems.

#1: The original goal was just to allow a user's purchase to be played on up to 5 of the user's computers.

#2: The goal now is to allow a user's purchase to be played on all their devices (I think...)

But in between we have used it differently, and it's muddied the water somewhat. Each computer can have multiple iDevices. People have shared AppleIDs - my wife and I share an ID, why wouldn't we when we are listening to music on our single speaker system. I sent my brother a copy of a couple of my apps (he's authorised).

If you want to, the current system even lets you sync bookmarks/calendar/address book using one AppleID, iDisk on another ID, purchasing on a 3rd ID. It all works within Apple's usage model - but when the value of having a single AppleID increases, and if Apple starts storing a single ID in a device - then a single iCloud account is storing my safari reading list, book bookmarks, app settings, music/app/book purchases, my documents, and email - and it starts being really useful for me and my wife to have separate AppleIDs.

So I see where they're going. And it's probably closer to their original intention of how AppleIDs would work. But right now, there are problems with the past AND problems even in Apple's model. For example, if we have a separate AppleID it'll kill homesharing - I want my AppleTV to play content from iTunes on my MBP OR iTunes on my wife's iMac, and I want both our iPhones to be able to remote control the AppleTV.

It'll be interesting to watch this progress. For now we can probably get away with sharing the AppleID a little longer, as long as the OSes allow us to have separate emails.
  • Reply 71 of 93
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    WTF with this? Can they just put damn new version or not?
  • Reply 72 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

Same problem here. I am still disappoint.

Still no dice in d/ling 3.0. \
  • Reply 73 of 93
    n4uajn4uaj Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachB10 View Post

My iPad is showing the update in the App Store, but my Verizon iPhone doesn't show any iCloud feature as pictured above at all. Hmm. My iPad also made me agree to new T&C - no update on iPhone.

So far it only works with iOS 4.3 or better. Us Verizoners are still at 4.2.8
  • Reply 74 of 93
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    6;30 pm on the west coast an the above is still true... bad form...
  • Reply 75 of 93
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    I just received the following email:

"Dear MobileMe member,

We'd like to share some exciting news with you about iCloud — Apple’s upcoming cloud service, which stores your content and wirelessly pushes it to your devices. iCloud integrates seamlessly with your apps, so everything happens automatically. Available this fall, iCloud is free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users.

What does this mean for you as a MobileMe member?

When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your MobileMe email address and move your mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

Your MobileMe subscription will be automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After that date, MobileMe will no longer be available.

When iCloud becomes available this fall, we will provide more details and instructions on how to make the move. In the meantime, we encourage you to learn more about iCloud.

Sincerely,

The MobileMe Team"

I currently use 20gb of iDisk space for sharing large files with my clients. After I upload all they have to do is click the link that's sent to them and it's done, quick n easy. What will become of this service? Will it all go to the cloud instead and continue, in a sense, as it is now? Will Apple up the, pathetic, 5gb to 20 once again? Or is Apple going to do away with iDisk altogether?

As far as cost/no cost this bring back memories of the .Mac / MobileMe transition. Once you sign up you've basically sold your sole. Nothing's for free.
  • Reply 76 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

For example, if we have a separate AppleID it'll kill homesharing - I want my AppleTV to play content from iTunes on my MBP OR iTunes on my wife's iMac, and I want both our iPhones to be able to remote control the AppleTV.

You can still do these things with multiple AppleID's. You just need to use one of the AppleID's for logging into the Home Sharing account (in iTunes) on both of your Macs and also on the AppleTV and the Remote App on the iPhones. Think of it like this. AppleID is for each of your individual purchases and libraries but HomeSharing is a way for you to share the things you have independently bought with each other and your iOS devices in the same household. My wife and I use Home Sharing in all of these ways you describe above. We both have our own AppleID's. We both buy and maintain our own iTunes Libraries. We share our stuff using Home Sharing. Both of our libraries show up on the AppleTV. We can control our AppleTV with any of our iOS devices. I have some of her music on my iPhone. She has some of my apps. etc... That's how Home Sharing works.
  • Reply 77 of 93
    slinbergslinberg Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Once you sign up you've basically sold your sole.

No small feet.
  • Reply 78 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slinberg View Post

No small feet.

• Reply 79 of 93
    mitchelljdmitchelljd Posts: 167member
    I am not able to download itunes 10.3, at this point silly for Apple to be have links on their website to be advertised as avail. and it not be... Whats going on over at Apple?

They didn't finish the app compilation yet or what?
  • Reply 80 of 93
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    The link now works for me.. 10:32 MST/PDT. I'm in Arizona.