Apple silently issues iTunes 10.3.1 update with no new details

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple this week quickly issued an update for its new iTunes in the Cloud beta, with version 10.3.1 of the media software issued over Software Update with no additional accompanying information.

iTunes 10.3.1 is a 75.8MB update available via Software Update. The documentation accompanying it simply mentions iTunes 10.3 and the iTunes in the Cloud beta, which were released earlier this week.

The iTunes 10.3 download initially went live on Monday after Apple's Worldwide Developers Keynote. The link was quickly taken down, but returned on Tuesday.

Apple's official iTunes website and download link also labels the file as version 10.3, making no mention of 10.3.1 or what changes it might include. The situation is similar to last year, when iOS 4.2 was publicly released, though issues with Wi-Fi connectivity in the 4.2 golden master led to the version technically being 4.2.1.

Apple's documentation accompanying iTunes 10.3 focuses on the iTunes in the Cloud beta, which allows users to download past iTunes purchases on all devices. The list of features, according to Apple, include:

Automatic Downloads. Purchase music from any device or computer and automatically download a copy to your Mac and iOS devices.

Download Previous Purchases. Download your past music purchases again at no additional cost. Your purchases are available in the iTunes Store on your Mac or in the iTunes app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer on the iTunes Store.

iTunes 10.3 also adds Books to the iTunes Store, where you can discover and buy your favorite books on your computer and automatically download them to iBooks on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. This version also allows you to use Automatic Downloads with apps and books or download previously purchased apps and books from your computer or iOS device.

Developers already have access to a future version of iTunes, as the 10.5 beta was made available this week. The new software is intended to be used in testing with the iOS 5 beta, Apple TV 2 beta, Xcode 4.2 preview and Lion Preview 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    It's an update to fix an iOS device sync error.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    My rule is to wait a week before installing any update.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

The 10.3 update was 26MB.

The 10.3.1 update is 75.8MB.

There's something else going on here.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    AMcKinlay21AMcKinlay21 Posts: 125member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this week quickly issued an update for its new iTunes beta, with version 10.3.1 issued over Software Update with no additional accompanying information.

iTunes 10.3.1 is a 75.8MB update available via Software Update. The documentation accompanying it simply mentions iTunes 10.3 and the iTunes in the Cloud beta, which were released earlier this week.

Could someone who uses Windows, check whether this reverts the fix with Video sorting (after download from the store) that came with iTunes 10.3.

Thanks
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I've been getting various errors trying to synch my 3GS to iTunes 10.3, running from "could not create backup" to "these applications could not be installed". Generally, resyncing or rebooting the phone would fix it. Hopefully this update is the fix for that.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

That's all code related to caching image thumbnails correctly.

Because 10.5 doesn't even do that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Even the one that stopped MacDefender?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Agreed. If it says beta, I'm happy to wait. Someone else can be the crash test dummy.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Even the one that stopped MacDefender?

MacDefender doesn't need an update from Apple to be stopped. You just have to be careful knowing what you're doing clicking the button on prompts.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    jims1973jims1973 Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The update offered through Software update was 26MB(ish) probably a delta update. The download from the web was the full 75MB(ish) update. The 10.3.1 may be fixing what the delta didn't do correctly and caused a lot of syncing issues.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    hornsolohornsolo Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this week quickly issued an update for its new iTunes beta, with version 10.3.1 issued over Software Update with no additional accompanying information.

iTunes 10.3.1 is not a beta version. iTunes 10.5 is the beta version.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    iTunes 10.3.x is not beta. iCloud IS beta. Apple's iTunes web page didn't make this entirely clear. They wouldn't have pushed a new iTunes over Software Update to everyone if it were beta. Apple isn't Google in this respect.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    If you're a developer, do NOT touch this. Yes I know software update recognizes it - just ignore it.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

iTunes 10.3.x is not beta. iCloud IS beta. Apple's iTunes web page didn't make this entirely clear. They wouldn't have pushed a new iTunes over Software Update to everyone if it were beta. Apple isn't Google in this respect.

iTunes, no. iWork, sure.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Now we just need to be able download video again if we need to (i.e. delete or lose the files).
  • Reply 15 of 22
    sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I'll find out tonight - 5 attempts & 5 failures to download the updated iOS on my iPad last night & this a.m. (via a PC running Windows 7).
  • Reply 16 of 22
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    I'm guessing the 10.3.1 update is mac only?

Here in the UK on windows 7 a check for updates tells me that "This version of iTunes (10.3) is the current version"...
  • Reply 17 of 22
    AMcKinlay21AMcKinlay21 Posts: 125member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

Here in the UK on windows 7 a check for updates tells me that "This version of iTunes (10.3) is the current version"...

Getting the same message, whether through the iTunes "check for updates" or the Apple Software updates program.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    glublickglublick Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

I still get "This version of iTunes (10.2.2) is the current version" when I click check for updates.

• Reply 19 of 22
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

If you're a developer, do NOT touch this. Yes I know software update recognizes it - just ignore it.

Care to elaborate?

The developer version is 10.5b27, which supports iOS 5 (developer preview) devices.

This consumer facing iTunes 10.3.x enables the iBookstore, Automatic Downloads of content purchased anywhere, and seeing a purchase history.

Unless you know of any specific bugs, there's no reason to flag it as developer only.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jims1973 View Post

The update offered through Software update was 26MB(ish) probably a delta update. The download from the web was the full 75MB(ish) update. The 10.3.1 may be fixing what the delta didn't do correctly and caused a lot of syncing issues.

As of 10 p.m. Central Time tonight (Wednesday), I'm looking at a push software update being offered for iTunes 10.3.1 with a size of 75.8 Mb.