iTunes in the Cloud allows re-downloading of apps Apple removed from App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With the new iTunes in the Cloud service, users can re-download all applications that were once purchased, including software that is no longer publicly available on the App Store.



As discovered by CDFXapps.com (via Engadget), software that may have been removed from the App Store because of a variety of reasons can be accessed once again with the newly launched iTunes in the Cloud beta. The software can be found in the "Purchased" section of the "Updates" tab in the App Store.



For example, "Tris," a Tetris clone that was removed from the App Store years ago, can once again be downloaded. The only requirement is that a user has ownership of the software connected to their iTunes account.



Another application that emulated a DOS prompt on iOS devices, dubbed "iDOS," can also be once again be accessed, for those who once had the software installed on their device. "iDOS" was removed from the App Store after it was discovered traditional executable files could be loaded into the application and launched in the emulator.



The iTunes in the Cloud beta, the very first feature to be released of Apple's newly announced iCloud, debuted on Monday. The "Purchased" section of the iOS App store offers a thorough list of all software that has been purchased on the authorized Apple ID signed in on the device.



Even if software is removed from the App Store, users are allowed to continue to run the application on their iOS device. But sometimes applications may be deleted without being backed up to a local computer through iTunes.







The fact that software no longer available in the App Store is stored through iTunes in the Cloud suggests that Apple's backup functionality in iCloud will be very thorough. When introducing iCloud on Monday, the company touted its new half-billion-dollar server farm in North Carolina and how it would be the backbone for Apple's new far-reaching service.



Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs even admitted that the company's previous MobileMe service was not its "finest hour." But he also presented iCloud as a new product that would "just work" as promised, without any thought necessary from users.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 29
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,793member
    Wow. I'd love to see this feature extended so you can easily undo releases of iOS apps that have suffered from quality problems or unwanted "features" in the new version. I have that right now using Time Machine and a little bit of hacking.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    tuntotunto Posts: 16member
    thats pretty cool. I feel like cloud is going to be a big deal.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,365member
    Wow! That is really good of Apple. Apple is a great company. A few miss-steps here and there.



    Verizon, ATT, Cox cable, Chase Bank are all companies I'm forced to deal with and they are terrible, horrible companies!



    I would prefer to deal with the IRS than the companies noted above.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    egoalesumegoalesum Posts: 43member
    I did notice that too! And I was like shocked!



    I had an application in the App Store named "FooBar" (for example). A few months ago I saw that another developer created a similar application, naming it "Foo Bar" (same name, with a space). I immediately contacted Apple and asked them to force the developer to remove the application (or change its name). And so they did...

    And then I saw this application in the iTunes in the Cloud page! I was terrified



    Now that you make me notice that, there are also 2 other applications I was selling and then I removed from sale... All available in iTunes in the Cloud...

    And also Tris, as you noted!
  • Reply 5 of 29
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,341member
    Don't expect it to last. Apple may keep old apps for a while but I doubt indefinitely.



    I would like to see an iOS revert capability.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Wow. I'd love to see this feature extended so you can easily undo releases of iOS apps that have suffered from quality problems or unwanted "features" in the new version. I have that right now using Time Machine and a little bit of hacking.



    And not even to "undo" upgrades that turned out to be crappy, but also to restore to the version you had should your device need to be reloaded. Maybe you didn't upgrade knowing about lost features in the newer version. Hopefully you can restore to the version you had even it it wasn't the latest and greatest.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Y is this news? Apple said redownload any previuous purchase - why is it news that they are living up to their word, if you bought a banned app before it was banned, you still bought it...
  • Reply 8 of 29
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post


    Y is this news? Apple said redownload any previuous purchase - why is it news that they are living up to their word, if you bought a banned app before it was banned, you still bought it...



    Dude....give credit where credit is due, Dude! No? Dude!



    Dude
  • Reply 9 of 29
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    But he also presented iCloud as a new product that would "just work" as promised, without any thought necessary from users.



    yes, heaven forbid that consumers should actually *think* about they are doing. more dumbing down of america and the rest of the world. least common denominator.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EgoAleSum View Post


    I did notice that too! And I was like shocked!



    like, you are totally the crowd apple is afterrr.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Nice. It couldn't be any better.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Wow. I'd love to see this feature extended so you can easily undo releases of iOS apps that have suffered from quality problems or unwanted "features" in the new version. I have that right now using Time Machine and a little bit of hacking.



    That would be good. Or what about app data from a while ago. Like say I deleted Angry Birds and then after a couple of months I add it back. It would be great to have the choice to restore the old app data or start fresh. Actually that would be awesome tethered too
  • Reply 12 of 29
    cdplayercdplayer Posts: 2member
    ...this differs from my experience. Long time ago, I bought an app called "ResistorCode", which was last updated to v2.0 on 28/01/09, and which is no longer available in the App Store. Sadly, it does not appear in my "Purchased". I checked and re-checked - nope, not there.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post


    Y is this news? Apple said redownload any previuous purchase - why is it news that they are living up to their word, if you bought a banned app before it was banned, you still bought it...





    I think it's kind unbelievable, because some apps are banned for security issues, like executing code. Others were banned because they did secret things like allowing you to tether "unofficially".





    And does this mean there's a way to get these apps from one phone to another????





    Can you re-download old versions of apps? For example, some months ago, Mega Jump "updated", but in fact, it completely changed the functionality of the game. This is the main reason that I stopped playing, because I just didn't like it as much anymore.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    reason88reason88 Posts: 10member
    I've just looked for VLC and its not there.although i did purchase that. (Its on my iPhone, but i just wanted to check if it's on the cloud also).
  • Reply 15 of 29
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,030member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post


    And not even to "undo" upgrades that turned out to be crappy, but also to restore to the version you had should your device need to be reloaded. Maybe you didn't upgrade knowing about lost features in the newer version. Hopefully you can restore to the version you had even it it wasn't the latest and greatest.



    I think you guys are asking for too much now. Apple gives you an arm, and you want a leg as well.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,030member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post


    yes, heaven forbid that consumers should actually *think* about they are doing. more dumbing down of america and the rest of the world. least common denominator.







    like, you are totally the crowd apple is afterrr.



    But some things should work that way. Do you always have to think about how you make a phone call?



    When I was in H.S, in the mid 1960?s, an executive from IBM came to give us a talk. He said that some day, everyone would be using computers. That was a shock back then. But then he said that in order to be able to do that, everyone would be learning to program.



    How good are your programming skills?
  • Reply 17 of 29
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,030member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CDPlayer View Post


    ...this differs from my experience. Long time ago, I bought an app called "ResistorCode", which was last updated to v2.0 on 28/01/09, and which is no longer available in the App Store. Sadly, it does not appear in my "Purchased". I checked and re-checked - nope, not there.



    Hey, I've got that app! If it isn't available, try Resistance. I've got that one too, I think it's better.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    That would be good. Or what about app data from a while ago. Like say I deleted Angry Birds and then after a couple of months I add it back. It would be great to have the choice to restore the old app data or start fresh. Actually that would be awesome tethered too



    That will work if AngryBirds saved its data to the cloud. Apple are providing an API to do that, but it still falls on the developers to use it.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    ungenioungenio Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reason88 View Post


    I've just looked for VLC and its not there.although i did purchase that. (Its on my iPhone, but i just wanted to check if it's on the cloud also).



    No, it's not there, shame. Anyway, I plan to back up that app forever... bet app for viewing movies in different formats... and free!!
  • Reply 20 of 29
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reason88 View Post


    I've just looked for VLC and its not there.although i did purchase that. (Its on my iPhone, but i just wanted to check if it's on the cloud also).



    Apple banned VLC media player? WTF?



    Why would they do that? Did it install trojans or other malware? Did it phone home?
Sign In or Register to comment.