Secret retail documents show Apple's 'intensive control,' meticulous planning

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Maybe... but "Technician" is boring. So why not.

Language is powerful. Words can be redefined.

Everybody knows that the techs who work in the mall stores are NOT geniuses. But that is what they are called. Pretty soon, the two get mixed together, and eventually, a PBTC becomes acceptable as a "Genius".

They could have called them Nobel Laureates instead, but I suppose it was hard enough to keep a straight face when they decided these mall kids would be called "Geniuses".

Kind of like "sanitation engineer". We all know that really, they are just garbage men.
  • Reply 42 of 94
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

There are good reasons why Steve wants this stuff to remain secret. Revealing this information is against Steve's wishes.

Revealing this stuff is bad for the entire Apple community.

Everyone already knew this. Microsoft did their own spying and modeled their stores after Apple's like One to One.
  • Reply 43 of 94
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Hmmm maybe these 'geniuses' can explain to me why when I export photos from iPhoto - any photo that's in portrait orientation ends up inheriting the wrong file permissions...

It turns out that....
  • Reply 44 of 94
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

The very word "Genius" still rankles me.

What doesn't rankle a Curmudgeon?
  • Reply 45 of 94
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

There are McDonald's in NYC that pay $10 an hour. And Apple sometimes pays even less?

Working over a hot oven could conceivably be harder than a shop floor. But yeah, I would prefer Apple paid above average, to try and get the best possible people and keep them happy.
  • Reply 46 of 94
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 47 of 94
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

Why is it bad for the entire Apple community?

It's like revealing the secret to a magic trick. It just isn't magic anymore.

For those who need something more concrete:

News like this forces the customer to question the genuine nature of their interactions with Apple employees and effectively undermines the intended strategy. Given that said information is considered confidential, this is tantamount to corporate espionage.
  • Reply 48 of 94
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    In my experience, Apple stores have undergone at least two large transformations since they've opened. In 2001, I visited one of the first ones on Woodbridge, NJ. At that time, there store was almost empty during Christmas week at midday. They stocked a lot of software and had a few employees. It was a good experience. I got my first Airport Base Station and Airport card there.

In 2002--I think---I went to the store opening in the King of Prussia Mall (near Philadelphia). It was a circus. No one was buying anything, but it was a cool event. I loved going to the store for about two years after that. It was the only one around.

After the iPod hit critical mass, things changed. I'm going to say this was around 2005. I started hating going into the store. Lines formed to even get in (KOP is small store). Employees looked like bouncers. It was insane. I would call this "transformation #1." It wasn't great, but it was understandable. Things just got more crowded, and the number of employees went up. One could still go in and get something on a normal day, but weekends were tough.

From 2005-2007 or so I had several bad experiences. I tried to return an Airport Extreme that was not functioning properly and was still under warranty. They wanted me to wait 4 hours for genius bar appointment. At the same time, a lady was trying to return an unopened iPod HiFi unit that was given to her as a gift. She had a receipt. They denied the return because it was a few days beyond the holiday return window. Nothing she said mattered.

Around 2006, I had problems with my Macbook Pro battery and latch. The battery was lasting about 50% as long as it did before, and it was only 10 months old. Customer service (phone) and the store refused to replace it. The store told me I clearly was at fault for the latch, because there was "debris" in it. This was nonsense. In the end, they were able to accommodate me. This is when I also had a minor dispute with one of the employees who, in addition to looking like a bearded slob, didn't seem to care about my problem. I got home and filled out their online survey, where I told them about my issues with employee appearance, attitude, return policies, wait times, mobile checkout that was inefficient and unadvertised at the time, etc. I also said the one employee's hair made him looked like snuffleupagus from Sesame Street!

I actually got a call from the store manager about this survey. He assured me of this and that, said they were planning a remodel. I thanked him, but I still avoided the store for several years. It was just annoying, as were the employees. I went to get my original iPhone...other than that, I stayed away.

In 2010, I started noticing something different. The store was still really crowded, but there were employees EVERYWHERE. They looked more clean cut and genuinely seemed to care about a good experience for the customer. Mobile checkout folks were actively seeking customers. They were quick and efficient. That experience continued into 2011. I still prefer to avoid the crowds of possible, but things seem much better. I would call this transformation #2.
  • Reply 49 of 94
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Ah... Another "Eddie Willers" who thinks he's "John Galt".
  • Reply 50 of 94
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Not that I'm looking for a new job, but I wonder how much the Apple janitor guy makes?

Everytime that I've been to an Apple store nearby me, I always see some guy walking up and down the stairs with a broom, sweeping, cleaning glass etc. I wonder what title they hold, genius eradicator of filth?

I also notice an undercover security guard or two, I'm pretty good at spotting those kind of things. I wonder if they're packing heat? My guess would be yes.
  • Reply 51 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

There are McDonald's in NYC that pay $10 an hour. And Apple sometimes pays even less?

... but obviously there are people that would much rather work at Apple's stores.

Take for instance Cory Moll, the fellow who wants to unionize Apple's retail stores. He's worked at McDonalds, Walmart, and Best Western... so obviously he's worked his way up the chain.

With his resume it looks like he has nowhere to go except down... might as well start a union.
  • Reply 52 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I also notice an undercover security guard or two, I'm pretty good at spotting those kind of things. I wonder if they're packing heat? My guess would be yes.

No way. Think different. They're packing proprietary iPod Don't Touch devices. "As it turns out, I'm going to ask you to leave."
  • Reply 53 of 94
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't think I've ever heard anyone mispronounce an Apple product name. They are often written wrong though, e.g. MAC, Imac.

I wonder if Steve was ever in an Apple store and someone mispronounced his name ( JOHBS [not JAHBS] as the 'Book of Job' in the Bible) during the entire conversation, would the customer have been corrected? After al, Apple is a product of Steve, Steve is a product of Apple.

/

/

/
  • Reply 54 of 94
    jackrvjackrv Posts: 5member
    Quote:

Ya I will. I just can't believe I'm the only person who's ran into this. But the question was topical - the few times I've been in an Apple store wanting to ask the Geniuses something there's always been a multi-hour wait. It's been awhile since I've been there though, so maybe it's not as bad these days.

You can schedule an appointment through http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ , or if you have the Apple Store app on an iOS device, you can also schedule through there. I used it this past week to have an iMac LCD replaced and it was painless. Only open slots will show up and you can schedule (or reschedule) at will.
  • Reply 55 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Ya I will. I just can't believe I'm the only person who's ran into this. But the question was topical - the few times I've been in an Apple store wanting to ask the Geniuses something there's always been a multi-hour wait. It's been awhile since I've been there though, so maybe it's not as bad these days.

Why wouldn't you make an appointment?
  • Reply 56 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Language is powerful. Words can be redefined.

Everybody knows that the techs who work in the mall stores are NOT geniuses. But that is what they are called. Pretty soon, the two get mixed together, and eventually, a PBTC becomes acceptable as a "Genius".

They could have called them Nobel Laureates instead, but I suppose it was hard enough to keep a straight face when they decided these mall kids would be called "Geniuses".

Kind of like "sanitation engineer". We all know that really, they are just garbage men.

hmmmm, don't let their looks and age and the location of employment fool you. they go through training before being promoted to Genius (to make sure they can handle it) and then they go to Curpintino for 3 weeks of intensive training and have to pass the tests.

these "mall kids" are Apple Certified Mac Techs. these certifications are what companies seek when hiring Mac IT people. the companies that pay double to triple their Apple salary.

not shabby training and certifications for "mall kids"
  • Reply 57 of 94
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    If I were king for a day, I would rename "OSX" to "xOS," that way there would by more symmetry between iOS and xOS in addition to eliminating any uncertainty as to proper pronunciation.
  • Reply 58 of 94
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

in addition to eliminating any uncertainty as to proper pronunciation.

Actually, it wouldn't.

I think that there are those people who would call it "Ten OS" and then there are those people who would pronounce it "Zose" and then there's also people who would call it X OS, as in ex - OS.
  • Reply 59 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

If I were king for a day, I would rename "OSX" to "xOS," that way there would by more symmetry between iOS and xOS in addition to eliminating any uncertainty as to proper pronunciation.

Are you kidding... xOS would be mispronounced much more often than OSX.

Actually, I'm a bit xOSted from this whole discussion.
  • Reply 60 of 94
    jackrvjackrv Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Are you kidding... xOS would be mispronounced much more often than OSX.

Actually, I'm a bit xOSted from this whole discussion.

Should be resolved in a few years after 10.9 is retired. No one would want to pronounce OSXI as Oxsee or Oh Ess Ex Eye.... (if in fact they name it OS Eleven)