Secret retail documents show Apple's 'intensive control,' meticulous planning

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Hmmm maybe these 'geniuses' can explain to me why when I export photos from iPhoto - any photo that's in portrait orientation ends up inheriting the wrong file permissions...

Well, it doesn't take a genius. There is a bug in the code!
  • Reply 62 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackrv View Post

Should be resolved in a few years after 10.9 is retired. No one would want to pronounce OSXI as Oxsee or Oh Ess Ex Eye.... (if in fact they name it OS Eleven)

The Mickey Mouse Club tune comes to mind...
  • Reply 63 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

There are good reasons why Steve wants this stuff to remain secret. Revealing this information is against Steve's wishes.

Revealing this stuff is bad for the entire Apple community.

While Apple I'm sure asks its employees to treat the training material as confidential (which as a company actually makes sense, given the success of the Apple retail model), NONE of this is "secret" has been "revealed", "outed", or "exposed" by a number of former employees, or "anonymous" existing employees. The only reason this is being tossed off by WSJ is because Ron Johnson who developed and executed the Apple Retail operations is moving on and THAT is big news (and looks to be a strong dose of talent for ailing J.C.Penny). That's it. No secret sauce recipe, no covert operations, no Illuminati revelations here, or secret pretend rituals of the Masonic Orders (unless of course Dan Brown decides to write a pleasant little fiction about Jobs and Gates as the leaders of the New World Order).

Seriously. Relax, take a deep breath. The Apple community is OK. Apple is OK. WSJ needs more readers - but that's kind of a given.
  • Reply 64 of 94
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Say it fast and it becomes "oh... sssex"

It's a not-so-subliminal marketing tool, and a very effective one. Many automobile manufacturers use the same strategy in naming their models. SXs and things that sound like it are common.

Or, perhaps I just have too much sex on the brain...?

Actually Apple had the perfect opportunity to do that back in the 90s but chose not to.

The Mac II was updated to the Mac IIx so the x was the faster version. Later when they upgraded the Macintosh SE they chose to call it the SE/30
  • Reply 65 of 94
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

If I were king for a day, I would rename "OSX" to "xOS," that way there would by more symmetry between iOS and xOS in addition to eliminating any uncertainty as to proper pronunciation.

It wouldn't make any sense, because that would then imply that iOS is 1-OS, since xOS is OS 10. Also there is already a BSD variant called X/OS, so it would be somewhat confusing.
  • Reply 66 of 94
    Apple sets such a good example for retail. These rules are common sense and I'm surprised they aren't applied in other such retail stores.

Anyone not from the UK in the forum, you have not known torture until you have had to deal with the customer service at PCWorld. It makes me shudder...
  • Reply 67 of 94
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't think I've ever heard anyone mispronounce an Apple product name. They are often written wrong though, e.g. MAC, Imac.

Are you sure about that? As it turns out (not "unfortunately"):

Quote:

I can't wait to get the new version of OS X (ex) for my AirBook, when it comes out next month!

And iOS 5 will be great on my iTouch!

• Reply 68 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Language is powerful. Words can be redefined.

Everybody knows that the techs who work in the mall stores are NOT geniuses. But that is what they are called. Pretty soon, the two get mixed together, and eventually, a PBTC becomes acceptable as a "Genius".

They could have called them Nobel Laureates instead, but I suppose it was hard enough to keep a straight face when they decided these mall kids would be called "Geniuses".

Kind of like "sanitation engineer". We all know that really, they are just garbage men.

So just to get underneath this mentality and kick it around a bit, how would you know if someone is a genius or not, by look or brief conversation? Are geniuses naturally gregarious and forthcoming - pouring forth their magnificence for you on demand? Are genuises always business leaders and political leaders (given the evidence I would guess not).

What then IS your definition of genius that would automatically discount people you do not know who happen to work at a mall in a technical capacity? My local Apple Stores have a wide variety of people working there - perhaps one of the more diverse stores in the malls here. Hardly the mall kids you describe above.

In fact, many of these same people and quite a few ex-employees of Apple retail that I know are very successful musicians, photographers, artists, I know one who is a CEO of a very cool company that is growing very nicely. Some are very capable and talented sound engineers, several I know are software developers who have added their work into the success that is the Apple Store concept. Do I need to continue? Most of them do it because it pays better than the average mall position, most are in college or just out and getting their feet beneath them in life, and the relative flexibility (according to them) makes working there fit nicely with a school schedule. Some are retirees bolstering the meager remains of their 401ks with a pleasant work environment and a wealth of experience. Not to mention that I am told it is one of the most tolerant and diverse organizations to work for, and despite Cory Moll's dispeptic entitled hipster desires, every one I have asked talks about the better than most health coverage (for part-time employees in fact), training and other benefits like free software, third party discounts and so on.

Now please understand, I don't expect a lucid response from someone who would make the kinds of statements you made above in judging people in such a superficial manner. But your statements were so aridly dry of any real humanity or understanding, I felt obligated to rain your your post - if only to relieve the barrenness.
  • Reply 69 of 94
    revilrerevilre Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Never correct a customer's (mis) pronunciation is a good rule, specially in the tech world. Nothing worse than being patronized by some two bit know-it-all wizz kid nerd, and nothing more certain to drive non-tech customers away. That al seems old hat now but when the first Apple Store opened it was pretty much the order of the day in 'computer shops'.

Gotta say the pay levels are low. With so many people wanting the jobs Apple obviously don't have to pay more but the entry level $9.- is lower than minimum wage in most provinces in Canada (Ironically Alberta, one of the better off provinces has a lower minimum wage). It's tough to stay afloat on 9 bucks an hour.

There is nothing wrong with a lower minimum wage. All minimum wages do is price workers out of the market. Employers can't hire as many low skill workers as a result, and unemployment goes up. Minimum wage laws don't help workers one bit.
  • Reply 70 of 94
    That's good to know Apple sweats the details in their retail operations. It shows. And it casts strong doubt on lawsuits like this one which allege misconduct on the part of Apple Store employees:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...imination.html

(not that I'm trying to resurrect that thread )
  • Reply 71 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Not that I'm looking for a new job, but I wonder how much the Apple janitor guy makes?

Everytime that I've been to an Apple store nearby me, I always see some guy walking up and down the stairs with a broom, sweeping, cleaning glass etc. I wonder what title they hold, genius eradicator of filth?

I also notice an undercover security guard or two, I'm pretty good at spotting those kind of things. I wonder if they're packing heat? My guess would be yes.

Most malls have resident cleaning and maintenance staff. Some stores I think also contract out cleaning and replenishment services, so i don't think there is such a thing in retail operations anyway of the "Apple janitor guy". They may have some out in Cupertino at 1 Infinite Loop. Of course living in Silicon Valley on a janitor's pay would be pretty tough.

I've seen both "undercover" (If you can recognize them as undercover, are they really undercover vs. plain-clothes) and local police on site in the Apple stores, I suppose since they don't have loss prevention systems in place. And you really used the phrase "packing heat"???? Wow. ;-)
  • Reply 72 of 94
    Quote:

Ya I will. I just can't believe I'm the only person who's ran into this. But the question was topical - the few times I've been in an Apple store wanting to ask the Geniuses something there's always been a multi-hour wait. It's been awhile since I've been there though, so maybe it's not as bad these days.

Make an appointment online before you go, or while you are in the store. The Geniuses will make time for you if you book an appointment, and they're well worth the small planning effort to talk to.
  • Reply 73 of 94
    Reminds me of being at Mc Donalds when someone ahead of me ordered a frappé (correctly pronouncing it) and the order taker barked back: YOU MEAN FRAPP!
  • Reply 74 of 94
    Quote:

Hmmm maybe these 'geniuses' can explain to me why when I export photos from iPhoto - any photo that's in portrait orientation ends up inheriting the wrong file permissions...

Make an appointment and find out.
  • Reply 75 of 94
    As a former Apple Retail Employee, I have to say, most of this is complete BS or exaggerated.

Employees aren't "FORBIDDEN" to correct a customer, they're not supposed to... Most retail environments have rules like this, and I'd bet most of the employees that are supposed to follow them aren't even aware.. this is an exaggeration meant to sound as if Apple has some kind of really "intensive" control. :roll eyes:

"as it turns out" vs. "unfortunately" is similar. This is not uncommon in retail.

No comment on wages, beyond that they can and do vary widely.

Jobs selecting security cables is likely exaggerated too.. he's in charge of the company, he was probably presented with a few options and chose.. why is that supposed to be surprising or special?

Getting the job was incredibly easy, and I worked at a large flagship store... (hint: Northern California). It did not require two interviews, and the interview was one of the easiest I have ever experienced.

What business isn't "flooded with applicants" right now? I guarantee you Safeway, Target, and Banana Republic can have their pick of potential employees right now. This is also not special or unique.

The "extensive" training is pretty par for the course as far as retail goes as well. It's good training, but it's not in some weird class of its own or something. And this includes the fact that I had the opportunity to be one of just a few from my store to go through some "special" training in Cupertino.

Again, what retail environment doesn't require employees to shadow more experienced employees? This also does not last for "weeks", although I suppose it could last that long if you're a complete idiot. There was no rule prohibiting you from speaking to customers before you were appropriately trained. That is complete BS.

I love Apple Products. I hate working retail - all retail, Apple was a better place to work because of the environment and the products, and the vibe, but it wasn't some amazing experience. It's a minimum wage retail job, roughly equivalent to working at Starbucks, but with a better discount on cooler products.

I'd also add that most retail isn't exactly the gateway to a career in corporate - again, in any company... I mean seriously think about the type of person usually working retail and compare that to the needs of corporate. That said, I am aware of several people who had opportunities to advance either within Apple Retail or move to corporate, although this could be due to my proximity to Cupertino.

All in all, this is a ridiculous article full of exaggerations and BS. Most of these things are typical of most retail jobs. All the fanboys are going to fawn over this as if it's some sort of special, almost religious experience. It's a minimum wage jobs, people!
  • Reply 76 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Anyone in the Apple community already knows most of this.

I'm just surprised the WSJ feels this is newsworthy.

Why not? Apple has built one of the most success retail businesses of all time... in a very short period of time. They just lost their retail guru. It is most definately news.
  • Reply 77 of 94
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Steve Jobs uses the 6 "P"s. Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Heh!

I've also heard it as "Piss Poor Planning Prevents Proper Performance."

Six of one, half-doz of the other.
  • Reply 78 of 94
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

hmmmm, don't let their looks and age and the location of employment fool you. they go through training before being promoted to Genius (to make sure they can handle it) and then they go to Curpintino for 3 weeks of intensive training and have to pass the tests.

these "mall kids" are Apple Certified Mac Techs. these certifications are what companies seek when hiring Mac IT people. the companies that pay double to triple their Apple salary.

not shabby training and certifications for "mall kids"

That's all great. It makes them Tech Guys.

It does NOT make them Genii.

They are quite qualified to fix electronic stuff in as narrow product line. They are not qualified to win Nobel prizes nor to exhibit any other characteristic of a genius. None whatsoever.

AND BTW, I think Apple calls the guy who sweeps the floor and polishes the glass a "Customer Experience Engineer". No? He's not REALLY an Engineer? So what? He probably got trained for 3 weeks too!
  • Reply 79 of 94
    nofear1aznofear1az Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't think I've ever heard anyone mispronounce an Apple product name. They are often written wrong though, e.g. MAC, Imac.

just a few examples I've heard:

Mac OS "EX" instead of "TEN"

Xserver instead of XServe

iTouch instead of iPod Touch
  • Reply 80 of 94
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

So just to get underneath this mentality and kick it around a bit, how would you know if someone is a genius or not, by look or brief conversation? Are geniuses naturally gregarious and forthcoming - pouring forth their magnificence for you on demand? Are genuises always business leaders and political leaders (given the evidence I would guess not).

What then IS your definition of genius that would automatically discount people you do not know who happen to work at a mall in a technical capacity? My local Apple Stores have a wide variety of people working there - perhaps one of the more diverse stores in the malls here. Hardly the mall kids you describe above.

In fact, many of these same people and quite a few ex-employees of Apple retail that I know are very successful musicians, photographers, artists, I know one who is a CEO of a very cool company that is growing very nicely. Some are very capable and talented sound engineers, several I know are software developers who have added their work into the success that is the Apple Store concept. Do I need to continue? Most of them do it because it pays better than the average mall position, most are in college or just out and getting their feet beneath them in life, and the relative flexibility (according to them) makes working there fit nicely with a school schedule. Some are retirees bolstering the meager remains of their 401ks with a pleasant work environment and a wealth of experience. Not to mention that I am told it is one of the most tolerant and diverse organizations to work for, and despite Cory Moll's dispeptic entitled hipster desires, every one I have asked talks about the better than most health coverage (for part-time employees in fact), training and other benefits like free software, third party discounts and so on.

Now please understand, I don't expect a lucid response from someone who would make the kinds of statements you made above in judging people in such a superficial manner. But your statements were so aridly dry of any real humanity or understanding, I felt obligated to rain your your post - if only to relieve the barrenness.

It is possible that one or more of the Genii are actually genii. However, it is unlikely that genii exist in any significant proportion among the Genii.

OK?