Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Nexus S 4G added to Apple's infringement complaint

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple this week added a number of additional Samsung smartphones and tablets to its complaint against the company, expanding the number of devices it believes have copied the look and feel of its iPhone and iPad.

In making the additions to its complaint, Apple has asserted that Samsung has been "even bolder" than other competition in copying products like the iPhone and iPad. As detailed by Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents, Apple is attempting to convince the court that Samsung's devices "blatantly imitate" its own.

Along with the more aggressive language included in the latest filing, Apple has singled out a number of new Samsung devices of copying the hardware and software found on the iPhone and iPad. They are:

Droid Charge

Exhibit 4G

Galaxy Ace

Galaxy Prevail

Galaxy S (i9000)

Gravity

Infuse 4G

Nexus S 4G

Replenish

Sidekick

Galaxy Tab 10.1

Galaxy S II

These new devices are listed in addition to the hardware detailed in the original filing, in which it claimed Samsung has "slavishly" copied its iPhone and iPad designs. The hardware originally accused of infringement is:

Captivate

Continuum

Vibrant

Galaxy S 4G

Epic 4G

Indulge

Mesmerize

Showcase

Fascinate

Nexus S

Gem

Transform

Intercept

Acclaim

Galaxy Tab

In all, eight hardware and software patents are cited in the complaint, with two taken out and three new ones added into the amended filing. Samsung is also accused of violating five design patents, and four trade dress applications.

Today is also the deadline for Samsung to provide Apple's outside counsel samples of its already-announced upcoming products, including the Galaxy S2, Galaxy Tab 8.9, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Infuse 4G, and Droid Charge. The mandate that Samsung must show its upcoming prototypes to Apple was set by a federal court back in May.

Samsung quickly responded in kind, and filed a motion to see Apple's next-generation iPhone and iPad. But in court documents revealed this week, Apple characterized Samsung's efforts as nothing more than an attempt to "harass" the iPhone maker.

Referring to Samsung as "the copyist," Apple said its competitor doesn't have a need to see the next-generation iPhone or iPad, because Apple is not accused of copying Samsung's products. In addition, while the products Apple has requested to see have been announced, Apple's own devices are shrouded in secrecy until they are publicly revealed.

Apple's filing refers to the company as "one of the most secretive" in the world, and also noted that new product announcements from Apple are "major events in the technology industry." The language was used an attempt to create a clear distinction between Samsung's products and Apple's.

Samsung has fired back at Apple with its own lawsuits, filed in April, in which the Korean electronics giant accused the iPhone maker of patent infringement. The lawsuits, filed in Seoul, Tokyo and Germany, are related to optimization and reduction of power usage during data transmission, 3G technology for reducing date-transmission errors, and a method of tethering a mobile phone to a PC to share a data connection.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    Samsung, as i always say, is the fastest copy machine of Apple products.
  • Reply 2 of 83
    I agree with adding the Tab 10.1...when I first saw a picture of it, I thought it was an iPad. Samsung is not even trying to make it look original at this point.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    shigzeoshigzeo Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonalTaste View Post

Samsung, as i always say, is the fastest copy machine of Apple products.

As a new player in the tech industry, and with a penchant for buying others' technology from vast gluts of wealth, it's no wonder.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Droid Charge

Exhibit 4G

Galaxy Ace

Galaxy Prevail

Galaxy S (i9000)

Gravity

Infuse 4G

Nexus S 4G

Replenish

Sidekick

Galaxy Tab 10.1

Galaxy S II

Captivate

Continuum

Vibrant

Galaxy S 4G

Epic 4G

Indulge

Mesmerize

Showcase

Fascinate

Nexus S

Gem

Transform

Intercept

Acclaim

Galaxy Tab

Hmm...some of those device names seem a bit...well... and

• Reply 5 of 83
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    So many models, almost as if Samsung is throwing crap against the wall and hoping something sticks?
  • Reply 6 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

As a new player in the tech industry, and with a penchant for buying others' technology from vast gluts of wealth, it's no wonder.

It part of a broader trend of Asian cultures adopting Western ideas, fashion, and culture. Samsung should also copy "Designed by Apple in California" on their mobile products
  • Reply 7 of 83
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    I think this device could be construed as prior art for Samsung's claim of tethering a phone to a computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9dpXHnJXaE

I agree with Apple's case though, Samsung's own designs are far from special. I guess their design team thinks it's all fine to just rip off Apple's unique designs, but are so amazed when Apple complains about it. Samsung seems to have a similar mentality to Chinese companies, ripping off other company's designs and IP so they can make low-quality electronics for half the price.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I agree with adding the Tab 10.1...when I first saw a picture of it, I thought it was an iPad. Samsung is not even trying to make it look original at this point.

I agree the hardware looks very similar; however, I'm not certain what else they could do. All tablets are going to look similar just like LCD TVs look similar.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Hmm...some of those device names seem a bit...well... and

It's surprised they don't have an iGalaxy in there somewhere.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

I agree the hardware looks very similar; however, I'm not certain what else they could do. All tablets are going to look similar just like LCD TVs look similar.

No one will mistake a Motorola Xoom for an iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

No one will mistake a Motorola Xoom for an iPad.

Given how bad the Xoom's sales figures are that's mostly because nobody will ever see one in the wild
  • Reply 12 of 83
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:

A "new player" in the tech industry? Are you serious?

Its funny when Apple claims that they were the first to introduce a "touch screen style phone".

Are they forgetting about LG's Prada? LG's design was first introduced at the iF Design awards back in September 2006. They even won a design award for it.

If Apple wins in this lawsuit, LG will have precedent to sue Apple. Not only that LG will sue, EVERY single manufacturer of touch screen style phones. (Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, etc. )

• Reply 13 of 83
    Quote:

Seriously?

That reminds you of that iPad? Is it because it's black, and give me point. If seen Engadget video demo and I am not seeing the similarities.

Have any of actual seen some of these devices? Why are stock android device on the list? Why is this suit against the phones?

It doesn't make any sense. I agree with Apple on Touch Wiz only, Touch Wiz looks a lot like iOS, but the phone hardware and physical design don't resemble iPhones. If this suit was against Touch Wiz alone, then yeah Samsung better pay up. But it's not it's for all their devices, maybe its because Samsung can compete, or maybe the want a cross licensing patent agreement. I don't know, but there something else going on.

I made a list on some other forum, but really do you guys honestly thing the below devices infringe? They are stock android devices.

Some Devices:

Galaxy Prevail

Is Apple this because it black and a rounded Rectangle?

Nexus S

Where's the resemblance? It's vanilla android.

Replenish

Seriously, that devices is included?

Sidekick 4G

Who mistook this for an iOS device?

Samsung Transform

Once again stock android

Samsung Intercept

Stock Android and doesnt even look like an iPhone

Acclaim

No comment the picture is enough

And the Galaxy Tab

• Reply 14 of 83
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Apple doesn't give a rat's ass about the threat of this junk from an actual sales point of view.

Their objection is the same as for the Amazon 'appstore'... pollution of the brand.

People are going to buy these crap 'tablets' and walk away with the impression that the whole category is junk. THAT hurts Apple.

Same thing for people who get burned or infected via a wide open 'appstore' and transfer that experience to Apple.

Brand protection isn't just vanity. Its really important.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Apple doesn't give a rat's ass about the threat of this junk from an actual sales point of view.

Their objection is the same as for the Amazon 'appstore'... pollution of the brand.

People are going to buy these crap 'tablets' and walk away with the impression that the whole category is junk. THAT hurts Apple.

Same thing for people who get burned or infected via a wide open 'appstore' and transfer that experience to Apple.

Brand protection isn't just vanity. Its really important.

And you think others dont have a "brand"?
  • Reply 16 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Its funny when Apple claims that they were the first to introduce a "touch screen style phone".

Are they forgetting about LG's Prada? LG's design was first introduced at the iF Design awards back in September 2006. They even won a design award for it.

If Apple wins in this lawsuit, LG will have precedent to sue Apple. Not only that LG will sue, EVERY single manufacturer of touch screen style phones. (Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, etc. ) ...

You are vastly over-simplifying a very complex situation.

Apple winning this suit in no way means that LG can sue Apple or is destined to win if they do.
  • Reply 17 of 83
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Nobody has a brand as valuable as Apple's. Period. So Apple has a vested interest in protecting the reputation of its brand. And being confused with inferior copycat devices from Samsung is important to fight against. People tend to be stupid in that repsect. "It's cheaper and it looks just like the iPad" comes to mind.
  • Reply 18 of 83
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Who knew that their lack of originality would be the real "Samsung Killer"!

That company cannot survive Apple's lawsuit. Buh Bye, Samsung!
  • Reply 19 of 83
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

New player?

Quote:

It part of a broader trend of Asian cultures adopting Western ideas, fashion, and culture. Samsung should also copy "Designed by Apple in California" on their mobile products

Love it. "Designed by Apple, Stolen by us, purchased with borrowed Chinese money by you."

Quote:

If Apple wins in this lawsuit, LG will have precedent to sue Apple. Not only that LG will sue, EVERY single manufacturer of touch screen style phones. (Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, etc. )

Ehhh..that's not the same as the iPhone. If you look up its capabilities and specs, it's really nothing like the iPhone. It just looks like a monochrome version.
  • Reply 20 of 83
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Prior tablets do not resemble the iPad. The slate announced just prior to the iPad and likely just based on stolen IP does not even look like the iPad.

Quote:

Apple never claimed to originate touch screen phones. These LG prada comments are always fun though.

Quote:

Whose brand is Apple polluting? What are you trying to say. I am a huge fan of brevity, but it helps to express a complete thought.