HTC says Apple would rather sue than compete 'fairly in the market'

2456

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 114
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,493member
    The whiners here have a very short attention span. Typical.



    Before Apple entered the market. It was all horrid Blackberry, Palm Treo, and Nokia button folks. Now comes Apple with an entirely new way, and literally the following week the asian copy machines run at full speed and now claim Apple is not competing "fairly" in the market.



    What was it that Steve Jobs said at the original iPhone introduction?? It's on the tip of my tongue...

    Oh yeah, this is what he said:



    http://www.businessinsider.com/and-b...nted-it-2010-3



    No shame these people.
  • Reply 22 of 114
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,783member
    So HTC's idea of fair competition is to be able to copy everything Apple innovated with the iPhone? The iPhone comes out in 2007, jump starts the smartphone market, and now everybody is copying it. Schmidt comes off the Apple board and Android suddenly takes off. HTC grabs Android, photocopies the iPhone and expects Apple to just sit back and "play fair"? Not hardly.
  • Reply 23 of 114
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 1,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    I think if you reread the settlement terms, Nokia did get some licensing from Apple, altho it's claimed nothing that's critical to iOS.



    I wonder why no one ever mentions that a month before the final settlement, Apple purchased around 200 patents from Freescale (Motorola) all relating to wireless communications... Couldn't this be the IP that was cross licensed?
  • Reply 24 of 114
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,783member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j2-core View Post


    Apple has lost every bit of their integrity. They are going to find that their childish lawsuits are going to hurt them in the end when government rewrites patent laws loosening their scope rendering many of Apples patents void. Hell, Apple has done such a great job with their patents, the patent office will probably us them as the new standard.



    But anyone suing Apple is, of course, just exercising their lawful rights according to the haters. Stop in again in a couple of months and post some more drivel.
  • Reply 25 of 114
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post


    HTC is such a horrid company, how can they put this on Apple? So let me guess, Apple is the non innovative antagonizer in this debacle? The nerve of those horrible no skill south Koreans.



    Are you talking about Koreans generally? Or just the ones from the south? Or just the Koreans without any skills? Or just the south Koreans without any skills working in Taiwan? Or are you just being facetious, silly or stoned? I'll choose to believe one of the latter.
  • Reply 26 of 114
    ijordanijordan Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post


    There from Taiwan...jeez is it that hard to go to the company website or wiki?



    THEY'RE from Taiwan. If you're going to correct somebody, do it correctly. Smartass.
  • Reply 27 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post


    Actually nokia not only wanted apple to pay more for their licensing fees than other handset manufacturers, but also was requiring apple to cross license their iPhone patents as well. The reason the decision was a win for apple is because they didn't have to cross license ANYTHING and paid the standard fee.



    If all that there is to it is what you're saying "... they just wanted to pay the standard fee..." I don't see how any court would side against them with Nokia but the fact is that they settle they're paying and Nokia is still using whatever patents they said Nokia was using. I only see it as they knew they were going to loose in court period. As I said before the settlement "They will never win any of these lawsuits against mobile/hardware companies that have been doing cell phones when Apple sucked 10-15 years period" it takes more than icons/layouts/swipes to build a cell phone and the facts is that Apple is missing patents on the guts of what a cell phone is, patents that Nokia, HTC, Samsung, Motorola, Sony/Ericksson own and they don't want to just license to a competitor for only money. That's the reason Apple needed so badly the Nortel patents.
  • Reply 28 of 114
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    HTC on Tuesday said they are "disappointed" that Apple is suing its competitors "instead of competing fairly in the market."



    Were HTC a child its parent would say "I told you before you started. Now quit your whining!"
  • Reply 29 of 114
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 2,449member
    HTC == high tech copier
  • Reply 30 of 114
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lank View Post


    HTC is out of Taiwan, Don't blame Korea for this one.



    The Americans tend to mix up foreign countries. No wonder they don't even realize Apple is not always clean. Apple was made to pay Nokia and will be made to pay HTC, for copying foreign technology. When are Apple supporters going to realize that Apple has made very little innovation in telecommunications technology?
  • Reply 31 of 114
    ijordanijordan Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post


    The Americans mix up foreign countries. No wonder they don't even realize Apple is not always clean. Apple was made to pay Nokia and will be made to pay HTC, for copying foreign technology.



    uhh... wtf?
  • Reply 32 of 114
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post


    So HTC's idea of fair competition is to be able to copy everything Apple innovated with the iPhone? The iPhone comes out in 2007, jump starts the smartphone market, and now everybody is copying it. Schmidt comes off the Apple board and Android suddenly takes off. HTC grabs Android, photocopies the iPhone and expects Apple to just sit back and "play fair"? Not hardly.



    That is how they got screwed in the PC wars.
  • Reply 33 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holy_steven View Post


    If all that there is to it is what you're saying "... they just wanted to pay the standard fee..." I don't see how any court would side against them with Nokia but the fact is that they settle they're paying and Nokia is still using whatever patents they said Nokia was using. I only see it as they knew they were going to loose in court period. As I said before the settlement "They will never win any of these lawsuits against mobile/hardware companies that have been doing cell phones when Apple sucked 10-15 years period" it takes more than icons/layouts/swipes to build a cell phone and the facts is that Apple is missing patents on the guts of what a cell phone is, patents that Nokia, HTC, Samsung, Motorola, Sony/Ericksson own and they don't want to just license to a competitor for only money. That's the reason Apple needed so badly the Nortel patents.



    Apple refused to pay because they said the fees were too high and they didn't want to cross license anything. Of course the courts are going to say apple has to pay SOMETHING which they did but it wasn't the amount nokia wanted. Also, apple didn't sue nokia for using any patents so I'm not sure where you got that from.
  • Reply 34 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lank View Post


    HTC is out of Taiwan, Don't blame Korea for this one.



    Right. After all, HTC is no Samsung.
  • Reply 34 of 114
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holy_steven View Post


    If all that there is to it is what you're saying "... they just wanted to pay the standard fee..." I don't see how any court would side against them with Nokia but the fact is that they settle they're paying and Nokia is still using whatever patents they said Nokia was using.

    • Not all of Nokia's patents were GSM patents, thus not all were covered by FRAND - and non-FRAND patents you can charge as much or little as you like. Even FRAND patents it can be complicated because generally they're part of larger cross-licensing agreements, which Apple didn't want to enter into.

    • Apple never really cared about Nokia's current infringement because Nokia is irrelevant in the smartphone sector right now, They didn't want to license their proprietary tech because it's always possible Nokia might not be in future. Apple's suit against Nokia was defensive, so naturally they dropped it as part of the settlement.

    • Nokia will soon be a WP7 shop and thus covered by Microsoft's licenses, Microsoft has full access to Apple's tech so the need for Nokia to play rough ended.

    Basically you're wrong about absolutely everything.
  • Reply 36 of 114
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    Who said Apple was even competing , HA! HTC is a joke
  • Reply 37 of 114
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post


    Also, apple didn't sue nokia for using any patents so I'm not sure where you got that from.



    They did, they countersued Nokia to exert leverage and get them to drop the case in much the same way as Samsung is currently counter-suing Apple. Just before the settlement there were dozens of suits in both directions in various different jurisdictions.
  • Reply 38 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post
    • Not all of Nokia's patents were GSM patents, thus not all were covered by FRAND - and non-FRAND patents you can charge as much or little as you like. Even FRAND patents it can be complicated because generally they're part of larger cross-licensing agreements, which Apple didn't want to enter into.

    • Apple never really cared about Nokia's current infringement because Nokia is irrelevant in the smartphone sector right now, They didn't want to license their proprietary tech because it's always possible Nokia might not be in future. Apple's suit against Nokia was defensive, so naturally they dropped it as part of the settlement.

    • Nokia will soon be a WP7 shop and thus covered by Microsoft's licenses, Microsoft has full access to Apple's tech so the need for Nokia to play rough ended.

    Basically you're wrong about absolutely everything.



    I completely forgot that apple filed a countersuit (for defensive purposes obviously). What I meant in my post was that apple never initiated any suits against nokia like samsung or htc.
  • Reply 39 of 114
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Just by looking at the telecommunication related patents that Apple is actually holding, you will realize how few innovation Apple has made in the telecommunication field, compared with Nokia, Samsung and the others.
  • Reply 40 of 114
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    OK, first off: What I know about this stuff could leave a thimble 2/3 empty, at best.



    Secondly, it seems to me that everyone is doing this to everyone else these days. It's not like one company is horrible, and everyone else are angels. Every day I come here, and there's some new patent case.



    Obviously, this is the way, partially, that people are doing business.



    At least it seems to me.
Sign In or Register to comment.