Apple releases new MacBook Airs with Thunderbolt, backlit keyboards

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday launched a refresh to it thin-and-light MacBook Air lineup, equipping the ultraportables with Thunderbolt ports, backlit keyboards and Intel's latest Sandy Bridge processors offering up to twice the performance of their predecessors.



Like the previous generation models, the new MacBook Airs start at $999 for the entry-level model. They are available for order today and will be in stores on Thursday.



"Portable, affordable and powerful, MacBook Air is the ultimate everyday notebook," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "MacBook Air features our most advanced technology and is an ideal match for Lion, especially with its new Multi-Touch gestures, full-screen apps, Mission Control and Mac App Store."



MacBook Air is available in 11-inch and 13-inch models that Apple boasts easily slip into a briefcase, purse or bag. The MacBook Air's durable aluminum unibody enclosure measures 0.11 inches at its thinnest point and 0.68 inches at its thickest.



The notebooks all feature flash for instant-on and fast data access, improved reliability and incredible energy efficiency. The 11-inch model weighs 2.38 pounds and provides up to 5 hours of battery life, while the 13-inch weighs 2.96 pounds and provides up to 7 hours of battery life.







With the latest Intel Core i5 and Core i7 dual-core processors, the new MacBook Air is said to be up to twice as fast as the previous generation. The new notebooks also also feature Intel HD Graphics 3000 and offer up to 4GB of faster 1333 MHz memory.



Thunderbolt I/O technology provides expansion possibilities never before available to MacBook Air users. Through a single cable, users can connect to high performance peripherals and the new Apple Thunderbolt Display. Thunderbolt can easily be adapted to support legacy connections such as FireWire and Gigabit Ethernet.



MacBook Air comes with a full size backlit keyboard and a glass Multi-Touch trackpad. The backlit keyboard uses a sensor to automatically detect a change in ambient lighting and adjusts the keyboard brightness for any environment. AppleInsider was first to report the new notebooks would bring back the backlit keyboard earlier this month







The Multi-Touch trackpad supports Lion?s new Multi-Touch gestures such as momentum scrolling, tapping or pinching your fingers to zoom in on a web page or image, and swiping left or right to turn a page or switch between full screen apps.



MacBook Air also features a high resolution LED backlit display. MacBook Air also includes Bluetooth for wireless peripherals and two USB ports for wired and wireless devices.



The new MacBook Air also meets Energy Star 5.2 requirements and achieves EPEAT Gold status Each unibody enclosure is made of highly recyclable aluminum and comes standard with energy efficient LED-backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass. Mac notebooks contain no brominated flame retardants, are PVC-free and are constructed of recyclable materials.







Every new MacBook Air comes with Mac OS X Lion, along with the iLife suite. Lion features more than 250 new features to the Mac, including Multi-Touch gestures; system-wide support for full screen apps; Mission Control for a view of everything running on your Mac; the Mac App Store,; Launchpad, iPad-like home screen for apps; and a completely redesigned Mail app.



Tech Specs

Size and Weight

11.6-inch:

Height: 0.11-0.68 inch (0.3-1.7 cm)

Width: 11.8 inches (30 cm)

Depth: 7.56 inches (19.2 cm)

Weight: 2.38 pounds (1.08 kg)

13.3-inch:

Height: 0.11-0.68 inch (0.3-1.7 cm)

Width: 12.8 inches (32.5 cm)

Depth: 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)

Weight: 2.96 pounds (1.35 kg)

Storage

All flash, available in capacities of 64GB or 128GB in the 11.6-inch model, and 128GB or 256GB in the 13.3-inch model

Processor

11.6-inch: 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 3MB shared L3 cache

$1199 model configurable to dual-core 1.8GHz Intel Core i7 with 4MB shared L3 cache, only at the Apple Online Store.

13.3-inch: 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 3MB shared L3 cache

$1599 model configurable to dual-core 1.8GHz Intel Core i7 with 4MB shared L3 cache, only at the Apple Online Store.

Memory

11.6-inch: 2GB ($999 model) or 4GB ($1199 model) of 1333MHz DDR3 onboard memory, $999 model configurable to 4GB, only at the Apple Online Store.

13.3-inch: 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 onboard memory

Graphics

11.6-inch: Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor with 256MB or 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

13.3-inch: Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

Video Support and Camera

FaceTime camera

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

Connections and Expansion

Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)

Thunderbolt port

SD Card slot on 13.3-inch

Battery and Power

11.6-inch

Wireless web: Up to 5 hours

Standby time: Up to 30 days

35-watt-hour; 45W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system; MagSafe power port

13.3-inch

Wireless web: Up to 7 hours

Standby time: Up to 30 days

50-watt-hour; 45W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system; MagSafe power port

Wireless

802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;5 IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible

Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology

Audio

Stereo speakers

Omnidirectional microphone

Headphone port

Support for Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic

Electrical and Operating Requirements

Line voltage: 100-240V AC

Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

Storage temperature: -13° to 113° F (-24° to 45° C)

Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing

Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet

Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet

Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 feet

In the Box

MacBook Air

45W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, and power cord

Printed and electronic documentation

Pricing & Availability

The 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Air are available for order on the Apple Store today and in Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers starting July 21.

The 1.6 GHz 11-inch MacBook Air is available in two models, one with 2GB of memory and 64GB of flash storage for a suggested retail price of $999 (US), and one with 4GB of memory and 128GB of flash storage for $1,199 (US).

The 1.7 GHz 13-inch MacBook Air comes in two configurations, one with 4GB of memory and 128GB of flash storage for a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US), and one with 4GB of memory and 256GB of flash storage for $1,599 (US).

Configure-to-order options and accessories include a 1.8 GHz Core i7 processor, additional flash storage, MacBook Air SuperDrive and a USB Ethernet Adapter.



Save when buying



The new MacBook Airs began making their way to Apple stores and authorized resellers on Thursday. Readers in the market for one of the notebooks can check out AppleInsider's Mac Pricing Guide (also below), where MacMall is already offering readers an additional 3% discount off its already reduced MacBook Air (and MacBook Pro) prices. The discount is instant when using the links below but available only when placing orders on line -- you do not need to call MacMall to place a pre-order. Orders placed online will ship as soon as the reseller receives stock from Apple.



«13456

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 118
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    looks powerful . what games will play on this new MBA ??
  • Reply 2 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple on Wednesday launched a refresh to it thin-and-light MacBook Air lineup, equipping the ultraportables with Thunderbolt ports, backlit keyboards and Intel's latest Sandy Bridge processors offering up to twice the performance of their predecessors.



    Like the previous generation models, the new MacBook Airs start at $999 for the entry-level model. They are available for order today and will be in stores on Thursday.



    "Portable, affordable and powerful, MacBook Air is the ultimate everyday notebook," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "MacBook Air features our most advanced technology and is an ideal match for Lion, especially with its new Multi-Touch gestures, full-screen apps, Mission Control and Mac App Store."



    MacBook Air is available in 11-inch and 13-inch models that Apple boasts easily slip into a briefcase, purse or bag. The MacBook Air's durable aluminum unibody enclosure measures 0.11 inches at its thinnest point and 0.68 inches at its thickest.



    The notebooks all feature flash for instant-on and fast data access, improved reliability and incredible energy efficiency. The 11-inch model weighs 2.38 pounds and provides up to 5 hours of battery life, while the 13-inch weighs 2.96 pounds and provides up to 7 hours of battery life.



    With the latest Intel Core i5 and Core i7 dual-core processors, the new MacBook Air is said to be up to twice as fast as the previous generation. The new notebooks also also feature Intel HD Graphics 3000 and offer up to 4GB of faster 1333 MHz memory.



    Thunderbolt I/O technology provides expansion possibilities never before available to MacBook Air users. Through a single cable, users can connect to high performance peripherals and the new Apple Thunderbolt Display. Thunderbolt can easily be adapted to support legacy connections such as FireWire and Gigabit Ethernet.



    MacBook Air comes with a full size backlit keyboard and a glass Multi-Touch trackpad. The backlit keyboard uses a sensor to automatically detect a change in ambient lighting and adjusts the keyboard brightness for any environment. AppleInsider was first to report the new notebooks would bring back the backlit keyboard earlier this month



    The Multi-Touch trackpad supports Lion?s new Multi-Touch gestures such as momentum scrolling, tapping or pinching your fingers to zoom in on a web page or image, and swiping left or right to turn a page or switch between full screen apps.



    MacBook Air also features a high resolution LED backlit display. MacBook Air also includes Bluetooth for wireless peripherals and two USB ports for wired and wireless devices.



    The new MacBook Air also meets Energy Star 5.2 requirements and achieves EPEAT Gold status Each unibody enclosure is made of highly recyclable aluminum and comes standard with energy efficient LED-backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass. Mac notebooks contain no brominated flame retardants, are PVC-free and are constructed of recyclable materials.



    Every new MacBook Air comes with Mac OS X Lion, along with the iLife suite. Lion features more than 250 new features to the Mac, including Multi-Touch gestures; system-wide support for full screen apps; Mission Control for a view of everything running on your Mac; the Mac App Store,; Launchpad, iPad-like home screen for apps; and a completely redesigned Mail app.













    LION IS ONLINE NOW!!!





    Did a search for lion about 5 min ago, bought it and am downloading NOW!!
  • Reply 3 of 118
    jakevin.jakevin. Posts: 71member
    http://www.apple.com/mac/





    White Macbook has been phased out!
  • Reply 4 of 118
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    It seems they didn't imporve the Macbook Air battery life. At this point, that is the only thing keeping me from buying one. I guess the Macbook Pro is still in my future.



    If you want the white one, better hit the refurb store soon!



    Strange that Apple didn't make Lion THE Featured App of the day/week.
  • Reply 5 of 118
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Sweeeeeeeeet!
  • Reply 6 of 118
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    deleted by poster
  • Reply 7 of 118
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post


    It seems they didn't imporve the Macbook Air battery life. At this point, that is the only thing keeping me from buying one. I guess the Macbook Pro is still in my future.



    If you want the white one, better hit the refurb store soon!



    I thought the battery in the 13-inch models was similar in both the MBA and MBP, at least the marketing wording names both as "7 hour lasting" (and I can tell you that my late 2010 13-inch MBA lasts for nearly 7 hours on battery)
  • Reply 8 of 118
    Can you get one without Lion?
  • Reply 9 of 118
    I tried to order new Air 13" 128GB with i7 CPU upgrade and its not possible. Only with 256 GB storage.



    A web bug? Or Apple wants us to buy 256 GB storage first before i7?



    Am disappointed .
  • Reply 10 of 118
    takeotakeo Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post


    It seems they didn't imporve the Macbook Air battery life. At this point, that is the only thing keeping me from buying one.



    Agreed. I would have sold my October 2010 MBA in a second and upgraded if the battery life improved. The backlit keyboard, faster cpu and thunderbolt are not compelling enough reasons for me to upgrade. Especially since I just bought my current 11" Air a few months ago.
  • Reply 11 of 118
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post


    White Macbook has been phased out!



    Yes, the Air must be the new entry level (or the iPad, depending on how you look at it).
  • Reply 12 of 118
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Amusing pricing for us UK customers - $999 = £620, but using Apple's magic currency converter it comes out at £849 ($1369).



    Oh Apple, you are such tinkers.
  • Reply 13 of 118
    jakevin.jakevin. Posts: 71member
    Can't wait to get one probably in a few weeks, and I'm so happy they've phased out the White Macbook.



    So Lion's out... When's iOS 5 coming? Let the rumors begin.
  • Reply 14 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post


    Amusing pricing for us UK customers - $999 = £620, but using Apple's magic currency converter it comes out at £849 ($1369).



    Oh Apple, you are such tinkers.



    Gotta add in VAT and cost to do business in the UK...
  • Reply 15 of 118
    Man, why can't you upgrade this machine to 8GB of RAM? Makes me worry this won't last as long as my previous machine since the RAM isn't upgradable. But maybe that's the goal
  • Reply 16 of 118
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,016member
    A superb MacBook Air line, horribly marred only by their lack of a modern, FaceTime HD camera. It makes no sense whatsoever. Apple's cost to add such a camera is insignificant.
  • Reply 17 of 118
    bryanlbryanl Posts: 67member
    I was hoping they would upgrade the memory capacity to 8GB. Seems a bit disappointing among all the other good news.
  • Reply 18 of 118
    Not that clear, but when I just ordered my new 11 inch, I could upgrade proc speed and I could upgrade storage to 256MB - on the 11 inch! cool
  • Reply 19 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanl View Post


    I was hoping they would upgrade the memory capacity to 8GB. Seems a bit disappointing among all the other good news.



    apple knows whats best for you. you don't need more than 4.
  • Reply 20 of 118
    successsuccess Posts: 1,039member
    No HD camera and no 8GB RAM option is a shame but I'll still be getting this this week and giving my white MacBook to someone.



    Question is should I wait 3 months to see if new MacBook Pros will come out because I already have an iPad2.
Sign In or Register to comment.