Apple's new 27-inch LED display is world?s first Thunderbolt display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

No monitor provider in the world keeps a model around for 5 years.

Apple. Which is why I'm right.

Quote:

Your monitor will most certainly hum right along for 5 years and if you can't handle the system you bought to use it then you are beyond reason.

I don't understand what the second part of this means.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

I wonder if you can hook up a third party display to the thunderbolt port

Of course.

Quote:

and how long before there's an adaptor to run two third party displays.

They already exist. Because all third-party displays require an adapter to get to Mini DisplayPort, anyway.
  • Reply 22 of 96
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Tallest Skil: who told you it wouldn't be obsoleted for such a long time? Why did you believe them?
  • Reply 23 of 96
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Folks

A matte Apple Thunderbolt Display would be great but it's not available. We've discussed matte vs glossy in numerous other threads. Let's keep this on topic.

Let's not miss the incredible flexibility that Thunderbolt allows here with the built in dock on the display. I really like that Ethernet made it. So now the ATD (Apple Thunderbolt Display) neatly packages what many expected to come in a few of adapters

Thunderbolt to Firewire

Thunderbolt to Ethernet

Thunderbolt to USB
  • Reply 24 of 96
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Folks

A matte Apple Thunderbolt Display would be great but it's not available. We've discussed matte vs glossy in numerous other threads. Let's keep this on topic.

Let's not miss the incredible flexibility that Thunderbolt allows here with the built in dock on the display. I really like that Ethernet made it. So now the ATD (Apple Thunderbolt Display) neatly packages what many expected to come in a few of adapters

Thunderbolt to Firewire

Thunderbolt to Ethernet

Thunderbolt to USB

Yes that is the big news here. I wonder how they did it? Custom designed "bridge" board or something that Intel offers?
  • Reply 25 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Yes that is the big news here. I wonder how they did it? Custom designed "bridge" board or something that Intel offers?

I also wonder if future iMacs will also work as docks. I imagine that the MBA air and an iMac at home form a pretty powerful duo.
  • Reply 26 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

Tallest Skil: who told you it wouldn't be obsoleted for such a long time? Why did you believe them?

A representative at Apple.

I wouldn't have believed them (because they generally know nothing), but Apple's display release history made me think they'd know what they were on about.
  • Reply 27 of 96
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Beautiful, just a shame they're so expensive! At £899 ($1450 US) it's far too much, especially when £400 more gets the entry level 27" imac

The one with a 21" screen, right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Seriously?

I thought it was satire. It might still be.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not quite, there were stealth updates. They updated the brightness, contrast ratios and response times every couple years or so.
  • Reply 28 of 96
    prwprw Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

People have been wanting a docking station from Apple for years. This display is it.

Seriously?

Yes, this "display" supports gigabit Ethernet and Firewire 800 over the Thunderbolt connection, plus USB 2.0 !

It is a non-portable ethernet adapter for the MacBook Air. It also supports audio output over a single cable. I wonder what Apple's margin is compared to the previous 27" display ? Especially since they are charging $49 bucks for a Thnderbolt cable.

If connected to a Mac mini server, it would provide a second gigbit Ethernet connection, that could be connected to a completely separate ethernet path. I wonder what the Firewire speed is compared to a native port ?

It is the only existing example of a Thunderbolt expansion dock - at least until new Mac Pro.s are announced.
  • Reply 29 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Folks

Thunderbolt to Firewire

Thunderbolt to Ethernet

Thunderbolt to USB

I forget who said it but my suggestion of Ethernet on the ACD Display was seen as a silly notion. I'm also glad they made the cut.

Also, there is a mic, speakers, IR input, and HD FaceTime cam which I think all work via USB? thought via Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 30 of 96
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Folks

Agreed, flogged horse. Anyone that wants matte should go to Apple's feedback page and request it there.

Quote:

Thunderbolt to Firewire

Thunderbolt to Ethernet

Thunderbolt to USB

I'm surprised (and impressed) and I think it stymies the people that said Ethernet would never happen, one person even seemed to mock it like it was equivalent to asking for an RS-232 port.
  • Reply 31 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prw View Post

Yes, this "display" supports gigabit Ethernet and Firewire 800 over the Thunderbolt connection, plus USB 2.0 !

It is a non-portable ethernet adapter for the MacBook Air. It also supports audio output over a single cable. I wonder what Apple's margin is compared to the previous 27" display ? Especially since they are charging $49 bucks for a Thnderbolt cable.

If connected to a Mac mini server, it would provide a second gigbit Ethernet connection, that could be connected to a completely separate ethernet path. I wonder what the Firewire speed is compared to a native port ?

It is the only existing example of a Thunderbolt expansion dock - at least until new Mac Pro.s are announced.

It's impressive versatility. Now image a second LED Display connected via Thunderbolt and you have 3 Gigabit Ethernet ports? which is more than the Mac Pro has.
  • Reply 32 of 96
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Maybe I'm slow these last couple days but I'm still trying to figure out the advantages of Thunderbolt. I've currently got my MacBook Pro hooked up to a 24" Cinema Display and it works just fine. Even if my MBP supported Thunderbolt, what would that do for me? The only signal I need going between my monitor and my computer is the video signal and the mini display port does that just fine. So what's the big deal?
  • Reply 33 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Maybe I'm slow these last couple days but I'm still trying to figure out the advantages of Thunderbolt. I've currently got my MacBook Pro hooked up to a 24" Cinema Display and it works just fine. Even if my MBP supported Thunderbolt, what would that do for me? The only signal I need going between my monitor and my computer is the video signal and the mini display port does that just fine. So what's the big deal?

Chatted with a guy that had a 60GB iPhoto library that took an hour to transfer via Firewire from one Mac to another.

He upgraded to a Thunderbolt machine but then decided to exchange for another Thunderbolt enabled model. The TB to TB connection transferred that same library in 20 minutes.

So beyond the incredible speed TB should allow for some nice flexibility.
  • Reply 34 of 96
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Will Thunderbolt PCI-X cards be available for my MacPro?
  • Reply 35 of 96
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:

A representative at Apple. I wouldn't have believed them (because they generally know nothing), but Apple's display release history made me think they'd know what they were on about.

The second Apple announced their Thunderbolt-equiped Macs at the beginning of the year this was inevitable. Of COURSE they're going to do a Thunderbolt-enabled monitor.

So if you bought AFTER the Thunderbolt announcement, then you and the "rep" are... well... idiots.

If you bought BEFORE the Thunderbolt announcement, then you're partially excused, and I don't see how some Apple "rep" is supposed to know what Apple has cooking away, hidden in the lab.

Why only partially? Because it's been known for a while that Apple and Intel were working on Thunderbolt. We've even seen patents. Change was coming.
  • Reply 36 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Will Thunderbolt PCI-X cards be available for my MacPro?

No. Thunderbolt graphics cards should, however.

Thunderbolt cannot be sold without the graphics aspect of it. No cards full of data-only ports will be sold.

Also, it's PCIe. PCI-X is trash and wasn't ever widely used.
  • Reply 37 of 96
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    If you do not upgrade your computer (laptop) and display at the same time, Apple can make it impossible for you to get an Apple display.

Three years ago, I was in the market for a 24" display but had a 2006 MBP (with DVI). Apple only offered a mDP display at that time (and no DVI to mDP were available).

Today, if I were in a market for a display, my 2009 MBP (with mDP) would not work with Apple's current TB display:

"System Requirements: Thunderbolt-enabled Mac computer, including MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac"
  • Reply 38 of 96
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Hub.

If you have Ethernet, you can keep it plugged into your display when you unplug your MBP, ditto for any USB or FW (storage, sync cables).
  • Reply 39 of 96
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:

I don't understand what the second part of this means.

Of course.

They already exist. Because all third-party displays require an adapter to get to Mini DisplayPort, anyway.

Did your current cinema display work with the current computer system you have?

I certainly hope it did.

Does the fact that Apple offering a new model change the way your current setup works in any way?

I don't see how it could.

Would any new Mac computer still work with your existing cinema display?

No reason why not.

Why are you so worked up about this new monitor then?
  • Reply 40 of 96
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Quote:

Chatted with a guy that had a 60GB iPhoto library that took an hour to transfer via Firewire from one Mac to another.

He upgraded to a Thunderbolt machine but then decided to exchange for another Thunderbolt enabled model. The TB to TB connection transferred that same library in 20 minutes.

So beyond the incredible speed TB should allow for some nice flexibility.

I see. If I were to get a new MBP or Air with Thunderbolt, would by older Cinema Display with mini display port still work? i.e., is it backwards compatable?