Apple's new 27-inch LED display is world?s first Thunderbolt display

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

So... Apple doesn't make a display that works with the Mac Pros they are currently selling?

That's correct, Dave. Al, tell him what he has won!

Well, Dave, you've won a lifetime supply of eyes-rolled-back-head-shaking, courtesy of the way Apple does business sometimes!

• Reply 82 of 96
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

So... Apple doesn't make a display that works with the Mac Pros they are currently selling?

The 27" LED Cinema Display is still available at the Apple Store.
  • Reply 83 of 96
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I WOULD like to replace my current 30" Apple display (because it's getting lines in it), with ANOTHER 30" or larger display!

As my post said in an earlier one. I have a 30" monitor, that I would love to see Apple come out with one BIGGER then 27"!

Skip
  • Reply 84 of 96
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

I WOULD like to replace my current 30" Apple display (because it's getting lines in it), with ANOTHER 30" or larger display!

As my post said in an earlier one. I have a 30" monitor, that I would love to see Apple come out with one BIGGER then 27"!

Skip

And as some smartass previously wrote, the new 30 inch Cinema Display is the 27 inch Thunderbolt Display. Would it help if Apple just wrote 30 inch Cinema Display on the box?
  • Reply 85 of 96
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

And as some smartass previously wrote, the new 30 inch Cinema Display is the 27 inch Thunderbolt Display. Would it help if Apple just wrote 30 inch Cinema Display on the box?

The 27" is a 30" less 10% of the pixels.
  • Reply 86 of 96
    bigjimbigjim Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The 27" is a 30" less 10% of the pixels.

Yep. Its the difference between 16:9 (which 1080p and 720p HD resolutions are) and 16:10. Both are 2560 wide. The 30" was 1600 vertical and the 27" is 10% less at 1440. For better or worse the world is going 16:9.
  • Reply 87 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigJim View Post

Yep. Its the difference between 16:9 (which 1080p and 720p HD resolutions are) and 16:10. Both are 2560 wide. The 30" was 1600 vertical and the 27" is 10% less at 1440. For better or worse the world is going 16:9.

That's kind of disappointing, but it does look like a very nice unit despite that. I never saw the need for a 16:9 computer screen because my video watching is a minority of its typical use, and I don't think the thin slices of black screen are a problem.
  • Reply 88 of 96
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's kind of disappointing, but it does look like a very nice unit despite that. I never saw the need for a 16:9 computer screen because my video watching is a minority of its typical use, and I don't think the thin slices of black screen are a problem.

Not to mention that you'll have them when watching most movies anyway, because they're generally 2.39:1 and not 16:9...

I definitely still prefer 16:10 for computers, but I do have a 27" Cinema Display and am okay with the ratio, particularly with the other benefits it provides.
  • Reply 89 of 96
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    No mas!
  • Reply 90 of 96
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post

The 27" LED Cinema Display is still available at the Apple Store.

Yes, that's right. You have to be very careful when ordering to specify the LED display or the Thunderbolt display.

BTW, did anyone notice, if you try to order a Thunderbolt Display standalone the ship time is 6-8 weeks, but if you buy it BTO with a Mini or Air the ship time stays at 24hrs?
  • Reply 91 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yes, that's right. You have to be very careful when ordering to specify the LED display or the Thunderbolt display.

BTW, did anyone notice, if you try to order a Thunderbolt Display standalone the ship time is 6-8 weeks, but if you buy it BTO with a Mini or Air the ship time stays at 24hrs?

I assumed the ATD (Apple Thunderbolt Display) would be shipped at a separate time 6-8 weeks later, but that would make the Mac mini a pointless purchase if you had no interim display.
  • Reply 92 of 96
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I assumed the ATD (Apple Thunderbolt Display) would be shipped at a separate time 6-8 weeks later, but that would make the Mac mini a pointless purchase if you had no interim display.

Ah yes, you are right. If I proceed to checkout it gives two separate ship times.
  • Reply 93 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not to mention that you'll have them when watching most movies anyway, because they're generally 2.39:1 and not 16:9...

I definitely still prefer 16:10 for computers, but I do have a 27" Cinema Display and am okay with the ratio, particularly with the other benefits it provides.

Is there some other benefit to the aspect ratio, or did you mean other benefits to the display?
  • Reply 94 of 96
    Hello,

Has anyone seen the two side-by-side? if not, can someone versed in monitor spec sheets read the specs of the new monitor to determine if it is less reflective than the old one?

The reason I ask is that it appears the new Macbook Airs ARE less reflective than those they replace. Maybe this is a trend in the new models?

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 95 of 96
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    The Airs (both current and previous generation) don't have glass over the displays, so they are less reflective than the screens of the iMac, MacBook Pro, and Cinema Displays.
  • Reply 96 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

We refuse to buy the insanely overpriced/under powered Mac Pro's.

12 cores, 64GB of RAM. Yep totally under powered. I bet you can't even run Doom on that thing.

Quote:

We refuse to buy glossy pieces of shit that harken back to the shitty days of CRT displays.

Then don't. I believe other companies make displays. (could be wrong on this one)

Quote:

We refuse to switch our entire platform and investments over to Windoze.

Then you'll have to make due with 12 cores, 64GB of RAM and non-Apple displays I guess or wait a bit until the Mac Pro is updated. You're going to pay a premium to stay on the Mac Pro platform. A premium that is lower than the cost of switching for most people I assume.

Quote:

Where do you think that leaves us?

Entitlement Town? The market for high end workstations is not what it used to be. For a company like Apple with less overall marketshare it's even more of a dramatic decline. When you can load up a Mac Mini with an i7 and 16GB of RAM for about $1100 where is the market for higher end options? The new normal is going to be replacing your workstations on a yearly or bi-yearly basis instead of spending a ton of money on a beefy workstation every 3-5 years as many of us did in the past. For the people who truly do need 12 cores, 64GB of RAM and the latest and greatest they can either pay the price or find a company that suits their needs better. Breakups are always kind of ugly but that's just how it goes.

Quote:

I'll tell you where - here. Wondering why Apple is tossing us under a bus when it was ONLY us that kept Apple from evaporating completely not too long ago.

That's some serious revisionist history. Apple's first big hit after their near death experience was the iMac soon followed by increasing success with their laptops. Then it was the iPod which begat the iPhone which begat the iPad. Over the last decade Apple has mostly been focused on the iMac and laptops on the computer side. That has not changed a bit. The high end workstations were always a small part of Apple's business but when you're business is small you gotta hold on to whatever you can. When it gets big you have the luxury of dropping things that just don't make sense for your company anymore. I can understand why you feel like a jilted lover but the truth is usually breakups are for the best.