Apple's new 27-inch LED display is world?s first Thunderbolt display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope, launch day of the 27" LED Cinema Display.

I only bought it because I was told it shouldn't be obsoleted for another five to six years or so.

Apple is very slow in updating their monitors, and this monitor update is a fantastic option for people with newer computers. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but are you upset that Apple has released this product simply because it now makes your product older? If so, please get over it. Your product is not obsolete. It works every bit as well as it did when you first purchased it. As does the old-school matte cinema display I have downstairs.

On the unrelated note of glossy vs. matte, get over it folks. I deal with graphic design all day long and I have no problem using either type of display.
  • Reply 42 of 96
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Did your current cinema display work with the current computer system you have?

I certainly hope it did.

Does the fact that Apple offering a new model change the way your current setup works in any way?

I don't see how it could.

Would any new Mac computer still work with your existing cinema display?

No reason why not.

Why are you so worked up about this new monitor then?

I'm with this guy. Your misdirected rage makes no sense.

Did your current Cinema Display stop working? No? Then what are you upset about?

Earlier on, you acknowledged that Apple sales reps have no idea about what's coming down the pipeline and when. And yet you trusted this guy! Even though you knew he knew nothing! This is the company that hid the iPad from its own board of directors and requires select developers to put new iPhone models into a locked safe while testing. But this lonely Apple sales rep guy you talked to, what? Called up Steve?

"Hi Steve, I have a customer here who would like to know our exclusive plans for our display range for the next half decade and beyond. What's that? No updates? And this is set in stone, right? We're not a company that exists to make profit, so we won't change our minds and we absolutely swear off new releases using updated technology, yes? Okay, good. I'll tell the customer to go ahead and buy, then."

I imagine that's how it played out. Correct me if my imagination got the better of me.

But still, how does this impact you? We've established your current display is just as functional and gorgeous as it was the day you bought it. Are you legally required to purchase the latest and greatest? Do you even have a Thunderbolt-equipped Mac? Would having the latest release offer considerable benefits to your daily work and play routine? Then buy the new one! You realize Apple products have great resale values, right?

You, sir, make no sense, and have no argument.
  • Reply 43 of 96
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

If you do not upgrade your computer (laptop) and display at the same time, Apple can make it impossible for you to get an Apple display.

Three years ago, I was in the market for a 24" display but had a 2006 MBP (with DVI). Apple only offered a mDP display at that time (and no DVI to mDP were available).

Today, if I were in a market for a display, my 2009 MBP (with mDP) would not work with Apple's current TB display:

"System Requirements: Thunderbolt-enabled Mac computer, including MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac"

It would be interesting to try the new display on an older Mac. It might work. TB is probably necessary to make use of the hubs, the network jack and maybe the audio and camera.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Chatted with a guy that had a 60GB iPhoto library that took an hour to transfer via Firewire from one Mac to another.

He upgraded to a Thunderbolt machine but then decided to exchange for another Thunderbolt enabled model. The TB to TB connection transferred that same library in 20 minutes.

So beyond the incredible speed TB should allow for some nice flexibility.

Nice.
  • Reply 44 of 96
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Thunderbolt-based Macs with discrete graphics can drive two external displays giving professional users over 7 million additional pixels of display real estate and the ability to daisy chain additional Thunderbolt devices, as well as video and audio capture devices.

So I guess this means the new MacBook Airs can't drive two displays? That's one of the main reasons I was using to rationalize an update from my 6-month old MBA.
  • Reply 45 of 96
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

NEC sells a nice 27" monitor with Displayport for $1400 - PA271W-BK. It has very similar features to the new Thunderbolt Display, so Apple seems to be offering a lot of value here.

The NEC is non-glossy, too.

I don't mind the glossy screen for most computing (I thought I would hate it), but for movies (and many photographs) I really dislike it. Movies have lots of dark/nighttime scenes, and when I watch those all I can see is my face - not something I would wish on anyone.

I had to change my desktop picture, because the beautiful dark forest picture I was using looked terrible with the glossy screen.
  • Reply 46 of 96
    modemode Posts: 163member
    'Get over it' ???

The whole point - only point - is that Apple can throw all the bells and whistles at a display that it wants... But if there is no matte option, the display is 100% useless for professionals or those who value their health.

Professional designers, photographers, medical professionals, or anyone working on color critical applications will have to pass on this display unless they can completely control the environment around the workstation. These are the same people who would like to buy a new iMac but won't until it's usable (matte).

I say this from actual experience. Not just arbitrarily throwing out an opinion like the 'get over it' camp, or 'Ive seen some graphic design on it - it's fine' camp.

Those who mention the old CRT's; "what did you back then?"

I'll tell you what we did, we went through great pains to control our environment. We bought great big ugly display hoods, we worked in windowless caves, we spent gobs of money on calibration equipment and software. We strained our eyes, wore sunglasses & dealt with the headaches. Not to mention those displays had curved surfaces to help with reflection as well as heavily coated anti-glare sprays. We even bought ugly plastic anti-glare sheets. It spWned a whole industry.

Why on earth do we want apple to take us backwards a decade in technological advancements??? Besides being thinner and lighter - it was the matte screens that pushed people to flat panel displays.

Apple has made it VERY clear as of late that they are a consumer centric company and well, don't give a crap about the prosumer market anymore.
  • Reply 47 of 96
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

glossy stuff

Then stop buying from Apple while simultaneously not complaining about it here and we'll all be good.
  • Reply 48 of 96
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

So I guess this means the new MacBook Airs can't drive two displays? That's one of the main reasons I was using to rationalize an update from my 6-month old MBA.

No, they don't have a discrete graphic card, they have an integrated one (integrated into the Intel chipset).
  • Reply 49 of 96
    Quote:

'Get over it' ???

Yes, as in get over it. People complaining about glossy tend to do so to the point of derailing threads. We're getting very impatient with it, so we're inviting you to derail threads on some other site.

Edit: Also, send your matte feedback to Apple. They probably don't visit the forums.
  • Reply 50 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffdm View Post

yes, as in get over it. People complaining about glossy tend to do so to the point of derailing threads. We're getting very impatient with it, so we're inviting you to derail threads on some other site.

*applause*
  • Reply 51 of 96
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tallest skil View Post

nope, launch day of the 27" led cinema display.

I only bought it because i was told it shouldn't be obsoleted for another five to six years or so.

Oh, i won't be spending any more money on apple displays, that's for sure.

Get. Over. It.

sorry dude
  • Reply 52 of 96
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

did your current cinema display work with the current computer system you have?

I certainly hope it did.

Does the fact that apple offering a new model change the way your current setup works in any way?

I don't see how it could.

Would any new mac computer still work with your existing cinema display?

No reason why not.

Why are you so worked up about this new monitor then?

thunderbolt i guess
  • Reply 53 of 96
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

I am so freaking furious at Apple for doing this.

I can't even put it into words.

But, what happened to "Get. Over. It."? Can't take your own medicine?
  • Reply 54 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Folks

A matte Apple Thunderbolt Display would be great but it's not available. We've discussed matte vs glossy in numerous other threads. Let's keep this on topic.

Let's not miss the incredible flexibility that Thunderbolt allows here with the built in dock on the display. I really like that Ethernet made it. So now the ATD (Apple Thunderbolt Display) neatly packages what many expected to come in a few of adapters

Thunderbolt to Firewire

Thunderbolt to Ethernet

Thunderbolt to USB

Waiting for a similar Thunderbolt equipped breakout box with all the same ports found on a MacBook Pro but no monitor.
  • Reply 55 of 96
    Can you connect another monitor to this using a Mini Displayport adapter and then run both displays at the same time?

If you connect a second Thunderbolt equipped Mac such as a MacBook Pro or Mac Mini to the Thunderbolt on the back of this display, could you then switch the display between the 2 computers?
  • Reply 56 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

But, what happened to "Get. Over. It."? Can't take your own medicine?

Don't recall anyone buying a Cinema Display after having been lied to that it was matte.
  • Reply 57 of 96
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Don't recall anyone buying a Cinema Display after having been lied to that it was matte.

If the Apple Representative told you the display wouldn't be obsolete for many years, he was right.

If the told you a new one wouldn't be coming out for a few years, you are a fool for believing him, especially as others have pointed out, there have been many articles about Thunderbolt for over a year now.

If you bought it more than a year ago, thems the breaks.

So, really, come off it.
  • Reply 58 of 96
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Then stop buying from Apple while simultaneously not complaining about it here and we'll all be good.

You and your 10 minutes of familiarity with Apple is irrelevant.

The masses of people who have been with the Mac platform for decades on the other hand - are now stuck between a rock and a hard place.

We refuse to buy the insanely overpriced/under powered Mac Pro's.

We refuse to buy glossy pieces of shit that harken back to the shitty days of CRT displays.

We refuse to switch our entire platform and investments over to Windoze.

Where do you think that leaves us?

I'll tell you where - here. Wondering why Apple is tossing us under a bus when it was ONLY us that kept Apple from evaporating completely not too long ago.

It's not like they aren't drowning in monies and can't afford a freak'n matte display option.

So take your silly ignorant bullshit somewhere else please. This isn't a 'preference' or 'opinion' issue for a lot of people. This is our livelihood. This is our digital culture on the line. This is Apple reneging on their promise to professionals that they want our business after we bought in.

You think people only bring the subject up here? YOU should go look at the Apple forums and the endless pages of people complaining about this.

Want the subject to die? Sign the petition and help initiate some logic at Apple.

At the very least, stop being a dink.
  • Reply 59 of 96
    Quote:

The masses of people who have been with the Mac platform for decades on the other hand - are now stuck between a rock and a hard place.

We refuse to buy the insanely overpriced/under powered Mac Pro's.

We refuse to buy glossy pieces of shit that harken back to the shitty days of CRT displays.

We refuse to switch our entire platform and investments over to Windoze.

Okay.

Quote:

Where do you think that leaves us?

It doesn't matter. You're not "masses" and you're hardly important to Apple. Apple couldn't make record quarters and seven billion in profit without developers making software for their computers as well as their mobile devices.

I'll go ahead and assume you're in the former group.

It doesn't seem to Apple that catering to your outlandish demands and false statements is of any benefit to them, otherwise they'd do it.

Quote:

I'll tell you where - here. Wondering why Apple is tossing us under a bus when it was ONLY us that kept Apple from evaporating completely not too long ago.

People who demand a certain type of display are the ones who saved Apple? I don't think so.

Quote:

This isn't a 'preference' or 'opinion' issue for a lot of people. This is our livelihood. This is our digital culture on the line. This is Apple reneging on their promise to professionals that they want our business after we bought in.

No, seriously, what do you do that would have 'saved Apple' while simultaneously forcing you to be in total darkness when you're using your computer? I'm totally, genuinely curious now.
  • Reply 60 of 96
    Quote:

I don't think it is fair to say you've been lied to about the Cinema Display, if that is what you mean here. It seems a bit much, especially if they probably weren't in any position to know Apple's future plans.