Mac OS X Lion will be available on USB thumb drive for $69 in August

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Queue the complaints about overcharging for a thumb drive version....

Bring your own thumbdrive and download it elsewhere for $29 (likely even at the Apple Store).
  • Reply 42 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Hey, just a damn minute. I remember when OS X updates were $129.00 so keep your shirts on, $69 is cheap.

That means Apple was charging $100 for the DVD copies of Mac OS X past. Those bastards!¡
  • Reply 43 of 93
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    Hey doesn't digital download cut out resellers completely, or is it legit to resell?
  • Reply 44 of 93
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Matbe the final release is larger but I put one beta on flash drive and it came in at 3.7GB.

Correct, the GM is a little over 4GB and will not fit onto a 4GB flash drive.
  • Reply 45 of 93
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

That means Apple was charging $100 for the DVD copies of Mac OS X past. Those bastards!¡

• Reply 46 of 93
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,433moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Queue the complaints about overcharging for a thumb drive version....

It depends on how much effort went into making it:

I think it's clear that like the charge for matte screens, it's a way to discourage people. If it was inexpensive, a lot of people would likely opt for the USB drive.
  • Reply 47 of 93
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ort View Post

So if you buy a new Mac with Lion today does it come witha thumb drive, a disc or nothing at all?

That's a good question, what would one do to replace a bad hard drive? The Air included a thumb drive that I recall.

Granted, people *should* have backups, but often I find that's not the case. My sister bought a drive to store backups, but turns out she never even hooked it up to the computer, never mind making a drive copy. I don't know if she thought that it was supposed to magically copy or what.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Nothing about a torrent will speed up your download. Presumably lion is being downloaded via whatever CDN apple is using these days, so distance from Californi is irrelevant.

A torrent can speed it up if your direct download speed is slower than the capacity of your connection. But it is copyright infringement if you didn't pay for the license.
  • Reply 48 of 93
    acgoodacgood Posts: 3member
    I have a iMac running 10.6 and a Macbook running 10.5..If I buy the download on the iMac can I install Lion on the laptop as well? Or am I stuck buying the thumb drive?
  • Reply 49 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's a good question, what would one do to replace a bad hard drive? The Air included a thumb drive that I recall.

The page for the MBA no longer states that it comes with an 8GB USB flash drive with the installer.

Quote:

In the box:
    • MacBook Air

• 45W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, and power cord

• Printed and electronic documentation

It goes on to state…

Quote:

Lion Recovery:
    • OS X Lion includes a built-in set of tools for repairing your Mac in the Recovery HD, a new feature that lets you repair disks or reinstall OS X Lion without a physical disc.

While disc typically refers to an optical disc I'd say that is enough evidence to show that any drive replacement would require shipping to Apple, bringing into an Apple Store, or installing from the USB drive they will sell or the one you can make from App Store download to reinstall Lion.

However, note the MBA don't come with HDDs but SSD cards which are unlikely to fail or be replaced by the consumers.

PS: We'll see if Apple's policy changes when their prosumer machines lose the ODD.
  • Reply 50 of 93
    tiesties Posts: 1member
    "AppleInsider was first to report in May that Apple planned to release Lion through the Mac App Store, but also that Apple would offer a physical copy of the operating system for those who would prefer to have one. And in June, an exclusive report suggested lower pricing for Lion could be tied to purchasing through the Mac App Store."

If AI had info in May that there would be a physical copy of the Lion software, why did it repeat many many times "Lion will only be available by download from the App Store".

If you instead you had repeated what you claimed you knew, you could have avoided a lot of upset readers. It appears to me that you choose for the sensational: AI looking a lot like a tabloid.

So please stay consistent in your reporting with what you earlier reported or at least include a note when there are conflicts.
  • Reply 51 of 93
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

gouging is gouging...a4GB thumbdrive is like $5 at Frys,

And a lot of those cheap flash drives are, to be polite, crap. I've seen a number of cheap (PNY, among others) thumb drives fail with little use.

Quote:

so I assume Apple could buy a container of them for like a quarter or something...

That's right. You assume...

Quote:

those who cant afford broadband will be most impacted by this, as well as those folks in areas that are under served...this is a tax on those who live in bad broadband areas, shame on those users for not moving to a part of the country with a faster pipe to get the new toys.

This solves the problem of upgrading to Lion for those not currently running Snow Leopard quite nicely: Snow Leopard install disks ($29), Lion installer ($29), thumb drive ($9). $2 for shipping, and there you go.

Think, people, think.
  • Reply 52 of 93
    Quote:

Or you could look at from Apple's PoV. Just assume the cost of the Flash drive, loading packaging and shipping is $5. That means the cost of of the Lion is $64, which means they are charging $35 for the inconvenience of having to spend money on flash drives, loading, packing and shipping in the first place.

You forget the Snow Leopard installation, which you'd have had to have installed before you could use the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 53 of 93
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It depends on how much effort went into making it:

I think it's clear that like the charge for matte screens, it's a way to discourage people. If it was inexpensive, a lot of people would likely opt for the USB drive.

Too funny.
  • Reply 54 of 93
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,433moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

There's a new internet recovery feature:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ss_repair.html

I'd still rather have a thumb drive as a recovery but if you keep a Time Machine or cloned backup and have internet recovery, I'd say that's enough recovery options and probably more convenient than finding the disc.
  • Reply 55 of 93
    ahrubikahrubik Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Or you could look at from Apple's PoV. Just assume the cost of the Flash drive, loading packaging and shipping is $5. That means the cost of of the Lion is $64, which means they are charging $35 for the inconvenience of having to spend money on flash drives, loading, packing and shipping in the first place.

So the consumer should have to pay for the "inconvenience" of a business offering a product for sale? Wow how much Kool-Aid have you drunk?
  • Reply 56 of 93
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

$69 for physical drive or you can download it for $29 and place it on anything you want.

The online installer can be saved for future installs. True or false?
  • Reply 57 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

So the consumer should have to pay for the "inconvenience" of a business offering a product for sale? Wow how much Kool-Aid have you drunk?

Are you drunk? Apparently you missed the part about Apple selling Lion for less than $30 or have failed to grasp that no one is required to buy either Lion installers if they don't want to.
  • Reply 58 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

Hey doesn't digital download cut out resellers completely, or is it legit to resell?

You can't resell a digital download. So yes, eventually the Mac App Store will be the ONLY place you can get Apple software.
  • Reply 59 of 93
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I was suggesting they do this, and at a higher price. But I thought $49 would be more appropriate. This is unexpectedly high.

Meh - in all but the most extreme edge cases, it's simply not a big deal to download it.
  • Reply 60 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Correct, the GM is a little over 4GB and will not fit onto a 4GB flash drive.

It takes up 3.81GB on the 8GB (7.62GB available) SD card I just used to do clean install on a MBA.

No telling why various people are getting different sizes for the installer.