Mac OS X Lion will be available on USB thumb drive for $69 in August

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 93
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Okay, so it doesn't auto-run? You have a chance to move the installer somewhere else before it does its thing?

It auto-runs - just quit it

Edit: The key is move it from the applications folder. If it's not in the applications folder, it doesn't delete itself. I verified this - on my Mac Pro I let it download, I quit the auto-running of it, made a copy to another hard drive, and then started it up from inside the Applications folder. Sure enough, when it was all said and done it deleted itself. I made a copy to the second hard drive on my MacBook Pro, ran it from there and when it was done the installer was still on my second hard drive.

You could go through the hassle to extract the disk image, but it's not strictly necessary if you are upgrading a working machine.
  • Reply 82 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Hmm - still have flash loaded? I don't - perhaps that's the difference?

I...

Flash can't be the cause of Safari not returning GIGABYTES of memory to the system.

It can't be.

I absolutely loathe Adobe; I'm certainly not supporting them, but I just feel that that can't be the case. Don't know why. Maybe it's because I have too much faith in humanity to believe that Adobe could write software that was THAT bad. But probably it's because I don't view enough Flash content for it to be true.

Open question: Does anyone have any hints or clues as to the cause of Safari's memory whoring?

... seriously, if it's Flash's fault...
  • Reply 83 of 93
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

... seriously, if it's Flash's fault...

I dunno - every since I un-installed flash for Safari (hey, Chrome is useful for somethings - flash web sites are one!) my web browsing has been much more pleasant. I have about 80 some tabs open right now, and Safari under Lion hasn't skipped a beat. Not once has it hiccuped in scrolling - and with Safari, iTunes and Mail open (With a bunch of other extensions/apps like drop box too) I'm using 2.92 GB out of 6.

Do you have any other Safari extensions or add-ins? Something is seriously out of whack with your copy of Safari...

Edit: You must have something old like the pre-extension version of Safari block hanging around. I just noticed that somehow flash is back in my copy of Safari - and still no issues for me!
  • Reply 84 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Do you have any other Safari extensions or add-ins? Something is seriously out of whack with your copy of Safari...

I do. Plenty. But none that I can imagine causing this. If I remember correctly, it happened before Safari 5, too.

Quote:

Edit: You must have something old like the pre-extension version of Safari block hanging around. I just noticed that somehow flash is back in my copy of Safari - and still no issues for me!

I did a clean installation of Lion at DP3... upgraded to 4, 4.1, and now I'm on the GM with the version of Safari that came with that.

This is problematic.
  • Reply 85 of 93
    rcha101rcha101 Posts: 11member
    I'd rather buy this than share itunes accounts. Also, I still like the idea of something tangible in case disaster strikes or I want to replace the HD etc. My question is will you get the USB key with all new macs?
  • Reply 86 of 93
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you drunk? Apparently you missed the part about Apple selling Lion for less than $30 or have failed to grasp that no one is required to buy either Lion installers if they don't want to.

It is baffling why the penny is significant enough for marketing to use the annoying "under $X" lingo. I think they should keep the penny and give us a non-insane price.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steveH View Post

True. That's how I did the installation on this MBA.

OK, so there is an installer that shows up in the Applications folder? I'm unfamiliar with all this.

Quote:

No kidding. simply being able to resize windows from any size (FINALLY!) was worth every penny.

That does take out a common annoyance. When I get Lion, it will be for the restore feature, or whatever they called it. A reason why I was slow to close programs, turn off, reboot or update computers is because I didn't want to rebuild my work space. That's something that has bothered me for a long time and I'm glad that someone has finally implemented it.
  • Reply 87 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It is baffling why the penny is significant enough for marketing to use the annoying "under $X" lingo. I think they should keep the penny and give us a non-insane price.

I don't get it but I do accept that it's psychologically important enough to continue for marketing. I also notice people will state gas prices without noting the 9/10 of a cent or simply rounding up to the next cent. I do the latter.

I clearly used the less than $30 price ito strengthen my argument but I would be fine if we completely got rid of the penny as currency.
  • Reply 88 of 93
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

It auto-runs - just quit it

Edit: The key is move it from the applications folder. If it's not in the applications folder, it doesn't delete itself. I verified this - on my Mac Pro I let it download, I quit the auto-running of it, made a copy to another hard drive, and then started it up from inside the Applications folder. Sure enough, when it was all said and done it deleted itself. I made a copy to the second hard drive on my MacBook Pro, ran it from there and when it was done the installer was still on my second hard drive.

You could go through the hassle to extract the disk image, but it's not strictly necessary if you are upgrading a working machine.

Okay, great! Thanks!
  • Reply 89 of 93
    mikeskemikeske Posts: 32member
    I have a couple issues with the whole thing of being charged a rural tax for this software. I really like my computers as they are the most reliable and best machines my wife and I have owned but we live in a rural area and the fact of the matter we DO NOT have broadband and are on a satellite internet connection and we are restricted to a set amount of limited broadband we are allowed to download without bumping into the providers fair access policy.

The other night I was updating my wife's 20" iMac on software update and it had almost 2 Gb and because we are stuck with a rather slow download it took from midnight to 4 A.M. to complete the download and installation. I just simply let the machine do the download and went to bed. But now we are up to 80% of our download for the rolling 30 day limit. We can not download the Lion upgrade.

Since we have 4 Apple computers, My 20" iMac, my wife's 20" iMac, My MacBook Pro and my wife's MackBook Aluminum. I am not going to carry damn near 60 pounds of computers 90 miles to the nearest Apple Store and then have to lug these computers across a parking lot with a bunch of gonzo driving idiots and then put up with a bunch of crazy's at the Apple store all wanting to download the software and I have other things I have to do this weekend.

So I will end up buying the overpriced thumb drive to get our computers updated and I am going to say it this way I feel that Apple is punishing me again for choosing to live a rural area that does not high speed internet available. Apple your really fair with us folks that are living out in the sticks that choose not living in a town that reasonable internet. Screw us hicks.....
  • Reply 90 of 93
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The delay and cost are definitely trying to push users toward digital downloads.

PS: You can make a bootable backup of Lion from the App Store that can be copied to any medium, including DVD, very easily with Disk Utility.

Thank you, Solipsism for the tips recently regarding putting Lion on disk (this and other threads).
  • Reply 91 of 93
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeske View Post

I have a couple issues with the whole thing of being charged a rural tax for this software.

Since we have 4 Apple computers, My 20" iMac, my wife's 20" iMac, My MacBook Pro and my wife's MackBook Aluminum. I am not going to carry damn near 60 pounds of computers 90 miles to the nearest Apple Store...

As Solipsism has noted you can make a copy of Lion with DiskUtility. Bring your MacBook Pro to the Apple Store. Download Lion then make digital copy on the media of your choice. Unfortunately you have to drive to the Apple Store but...
  • Reply 92 of 93
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Dumb. Really, really dumb.[/B]

Thumb. Really, get the thumb.
  • Reply 93 of 93
    mikeskemikeske Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by H2P View Post

As Solipsism has noted you can make a copy of Lion with DiskUtility. Bring your MacBook Pro to the Apple Store. Download Lion then make digital copy on the media of your choice. Unfortunately you have to drive to the Apple Store but...

My wife had to go to the mall yesterday, so I tagged along and took my MacBook Pro and did the the download and after the download I stopped and stopped at Walmart and got a 8 Gb thumb drive and made a bootable copy of the install. Now all four of our computers are now on Lion.