Mac OS X Lion will be available on USB thumb drive for $69 in August

Comments

• Reply 61 of 93
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The online installer can be saved for future installs. True or false?

True. That's how I did the installation on this MBA.
  • Reply 62 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steveH View Post

It takes up 3.81GB on the 8GB (7.62GB available) SD card I just used to do clean install on a MBA.

No telling why various people are getting different sizes for the installer.

I'm sure he means that his 4 million byte Flash drive is slightly too small after being formatted to the less than 4GB DMG. He may have that hidden "U2" partition that comes on Sandisk drives or some other brands hidden volume taking up too much space.

My 4GB USB flash drive has 3.86 GB available after being formatted with the GUID Partition Table.
  • Reply 63 of 93
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

This policy is a classic illustration of a corporate-executive-level screw up.

No it's not. The market is shifting and your not. The world won't end, Mac OSX 10.7 will be a success, and the pessimists will find something new to whine about.

Quote:

It's been going for about 45 minutes on my fairly fast cable broadband connection, and I don't have any idea how much longer it will take.

Click on the Purchased tab in the App store and you will see your download and estimated time.

Quote:

Apple's end is getting hammered hard.

Apple isn't, their CDN partners (mainly Akamai) are.

Quote:

At about 6:30 am, it was peaking at about 1.2 MBs. Now it's limping along at about 200 KBs, one sixth the earlier speed.

Maybe your cable company is throttling you? I just downloaded Xcode a half an hour ago and it took about the same time as Lion did this morning - 45 minutes. Apple's content distribution network seems to be handling things just fine at least from my perspective.

Quote:

And once that's done, I'll have to do the same thing for my iMac.

Only if you are too stupid to make a copy of the Mac OS X Lion installer in the applications folder before installing (as has been outlined in NUMEROUS articles on every Mac site today!). Just make a copy of it before installing it and you can copy it to as many Mac's as you need. My MacBook Pro I'm typing on right now was upgraded to Lion from the installer that I downloaded on my Mac Pro early this morning (that took less than 45 minutes at 10:00 AM EST on a standard Comcast home account).

Oh, and move the installer out of the Applications folder before running and it won't delete itself when done.

Quote:

Dumb. Really, really dumb.

Complaining about self-induced problems are dumb. There is nothing wrong with the way Apple is distributing Lion - other than getting used to the differences. Overall I'm much more happy with this. Not ever having to worry about loosing an install DVD is something I'm really looking forward to - esp. since I spent a few panicked hours looking for my SL DVD after a recent hard drive crash. Never again!
  • Reply 64 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Hey, just a damn minute. I remember when OS X updates were $129.00 so keep your shirts on, $69 is cheap.

No kidding. simply being able to resize windows from any size (FINALLY!) was worth every penny.

The fact that iTunes and Safari are now fully 64 bit and haven't slowed down yet is also well worth it. And I haven't even started playing with everything else yet! I could stop right now and be completely satisfied!
  • Reply 65 of 93
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steveH View Post

True. That's how I did the installation on this MBA.

Thanks for the answer. Does the installer get left behind somewhere after the install process is completed?
  • Reply 66 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think it's clear that like the charge for matte screens, it's a way to discourage people. If it was inexpensive, a lot of people would likely opt for the USB drive.

Oh for crying out loud - it's a way to cover costs for a minor amount of users.

If your in the minority, you should expect to pay more - costs are higher for lower volume purchases, especially for low volume purchases that have the overhead of physical goods that have all the related logical requirements.

All this "discourage" nonsense is just that - pure nonsense.
  • Reply 67 of 93
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Queue the complaints about overcharging for a thumb drive version....

Seems pricey for a small thumb drive?
  • Reply 68 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

The fact that iTunes and Safari are now fully 64 bit and haven't slowed down yet is also well worth it.

Safari still has the memory leak, though. You'll notice that once you start using it for extended periods of time. Shame.
  • Reply 69 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'd still rather have a thumb drive as a recovery but if you keep a Time Machine or cloned backup and have internet recovery, I'd say that's enough recovery options and probably more convenient than finding the disc.

Yup - having just went through finding my Snow Leopard disk to recover from a dead drive, I welcome being able to have the option to download or use the Internet instead.
  • Reply 70 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

So the consumer should have to pay for the "inconvenience" of a business offering a product for sale? Wow how much Kool-Aid have you drunk?

Well, the alternative is we could have all waited until August for Apple to manufacture and stockpile enough media for a traditional launch.

Personally, I have no problem with the few who won't be able to download having to wait for physical media to be prepared while I am typing on a Lion machine mere hours after it was released without leaving the house. That's progress indeed!

Sucks to be in the minority, but if you aren't going to have the means to download that's exactly what you are - and now Apple has a solution - wait for it if you have to.
  • Reply 71 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Safari still has the memory leak, though. You'll notice that once you start using it for extended periods of time. Shame.

Five hours in and so far none of the same memory leaks, and no spinning beach ball! I'm more than pleased with Safari's performance so far.
  • Reply 72 of 93
    Quote:

Five hours in and so far none of the same memory leaks, and no spinning beach ball! I'm more than pleased with Safari's performance so far.

Huh. What's the build number of the release version of the Lion version of Safari 5.1?
  • Reply 73 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Thanks for the answer. Does the installer get left behind somewhere after the install process is completed?

Only if you move it out of the Applications folder first. If you leave it in the Applications folder it will delete itself.
  • Reply 74 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Seems pricey for a small thumb drive?

Sure, if you were just buying a generic thumb drive

Don't forget the overhead of duplicating software onto it, packaging, and then distribution.... UPS doesn't prattle on about "logistics" in their ads for the heck of it...
  • Reply 75 of 93
    Quote:

Huh. What's the build number of the release version of the Lion version of Safari 5.1?

Version 5.1 (7534.48.3)
  • Reply 76 of 93
    Quote:

Version 5.1 (7534.48.3)

Ugh. Great. Same as mine. Stupid RAM hog...
  • Reply 77 of 93
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    "Those who opt to buy a new Mac won't need to worry about downloading Lion from the Mac App Store, as all new computers sold by Apple will come preinstalled with the next-generation operating system."

So will they put in an OS X install disk in the box with the computer?
  • Reply 78 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

"Those who opt to buy a new Mac won't need to worry about downloading Lion from the Mac App Store, as all new computers sold by Apple will come preinstalled with the next-generation operating system."

So will they put in an OS X install disk in the box with the computer?

Likely won't be a disc anymore. Maybe the USB drive with every new computer...
  • Reply 79 of 93
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Only if you move it out of the Applications folder first. If you leave it in the Applications folder it will delete itself.

Okay, so it doesn't auto-run? You have a chance to move the installer somewhere else before it does its thing?
  • Reply 80 of 93
    Quote:

Ugh. Great. Same as mine. Stupid RAM hog...

Hmm - still have flash loaded? I don't - perhaps that's the difference?