Apple now worth as much as all euro zone banks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With a sharp selloff pummeling share prices throughout European banking sector this week, Apple's valuation is now strikingly equal to all 32 of the biggest euro zone banks combined.

That's the result of the DJ STOXX euro zone banks index bleeding a third of its value since the start of July, driven by sharp declines in the share price of big banks such as Spain's Santander, France's BNP Paribas, Germany's Deutsche Bank and Italy's Unicredit.

The index fell another 4 percent on Friday, dropping the combined value of its 32 members to $340 billion. That's precisely the market capitalization that Apple has soared to in recent months on the success of its iPhone and iPad devices.

For Apple, the accolade is just the latest in a growing string of financial related achievements. In addition to its back-and-forth battle with Exxon Mobile for the title of the most valuable company in the world, it was disclosed last month the the iPad maker's $76B in cash reserves recently surpassed the US government's own operating balance.

Back in June, it was also estimated that Apple's then war chest of $70 billion would have been enough to potential buy out rivals Nokia, Research in Motion, HTC and Motorola.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    are these stories really necessary anymore? i think we get the point, apple is a very successful company.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    No big surprise here.....
  • Reply 3 of 64
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    St least for Apple. Whats gonna happen when China Mobile comes on board.

If Samsung is shut out of Europe and elsewhere.

Also, HTC might start giving up on Android

Android might have to look a little different to the others if Oracle gets their way.

HP/Palm are going down in flames.

Microsoft/Nokia will probably only have one shot to prove themselves capable.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    Nice job on deleting the responses which pointed out your article's original mistake - censorship kings.

PS. You STILL haven't gotten it right - it's $340 BILLION not million !!
  • Reply 5 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DamenS View Post

Nice job on deleting the responses which pointed out your article's original mistake - censorship kings.

PS. You STILL haven't gotten it right - it's $340 BILLION not million !!

Yeah, my thoughts exactly... $340,000,000 is 1/223 of the CASH on Apple's balance sheet ($76B).
  • Reply 6 of 64
    umairumair Posts: 16member
    Mods please delete this post
  • Reply 7 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

are these stories really necessary anymore? i think we get the point, apple is a very successful company.

Don't care ? then don't comment ! for God sake
  • Reply 8 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

It makes for fun chatter in otherwise gloomy financial news though. I certainly hope Apple doesn't go into banking like GE did, look at GE's balance sheet!
  • Reply 9 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    "The index fell another 4 percent on Friday, dropping the combined value of its 32 members to $340 million. That's precisely the market capitalization that Apple has soared to in recent months on the success of its iPhone and iPad devices."

Good heavens, I've met people worth $340 million!
  • Reply 10 of 64
    Quote:

Having grown up with Apple over a nearly three-decade period when "Apple is doomed?" was the mantra, I love these stories.

If you don't like them, go somewhere else.

Thanks, AI!
  • Reply 11 of 64
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I like these stories. In 1997 Apple was nearly bankrupt. Now they are the king of the hill. Let us enjoy the moment!

Why do readers get so bent out of shape over a silly typo?
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Having grown up with Apple over a nearly three-decade period when "Apple is doomed?" was the mantra, I love these stories.

If you don't like them, go somewhere else.

Thanks, AI!

agreed
  • Reply 13 of 64
    As much as I want Apple to succeed, I am worried about the economy in general. It's hard enough now, but if the world-wide recession continues or gets worse, it certainly won't be good news to most of us.\
  • Reply 14 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Good for Apple!

Morons and other pathetic people have long been speaking of and wishing for Apple's demise. These clueless people are probably more bitter than ever now, because of Apple's amazing, but well deserved success.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Absolutely, if for no other reason than to offset the various trolls who seem to live here. Isn't there a site somewhere for these troll to gather .... other than an Apple fan site?

Mind you, I guess it would be pretty depressing to hang out on those sites for any length of time.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Mind you, I guess it would be pretty depressing to hang out on those sites for any length of time.

Why do you think they're here?

• Reply 17 of 64
    what is this obsession to compare Apple with every single company or bank or goverment in the world? Stop this madness.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Perhaps the Greeks should have invested all their money into apple stock back when they were cooking their books back in 2000. Would be no crisis right now.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smartj3 View Post

what is this obsession to compare Apple with every single company or bank or goverment in the world? Stop this madness.

If you had read the thread (you didn't, obviously), you'd know why Apple being rich as peas is a big deal.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smartj3 View Post

I say FUCK**OFF u fandroids..........