Microsoft exec says PC 'not even middle-aged,' rejects post-PC label

Comments

• Reply 201 of 252
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

iOS is a total re-imaginging of the interface. While there are core technologies and API's that are shared between Mac OSX and iOS, the user interface elements and overall design of the system is unique to iOS. Insinuating that it's about "just cutting excess fat while keeping the essentials" just demonstrates that you really are completely clueless as to why iOS is taking off and Windows tablets are still going nowhere.

Yes, there are areas of overlap - but iOS verses what Microsoft has stated for Windows 8 tablet or whatever they are going to name it and what Google has delivered for Android are two entirely different things!

Your still hung up on technology! Whether it's a PC or not is irrelevant! And really, whether it runs Windows, Mac OS, iOS, or Plan 9 is irrelevant. The iPad and iPhone are about the experience.

The computer for the rest of us.

It's not just a cheesy phrase (and nor is it "just marketing"). If it does work without people having to think of it as a computer - that's sizzle! My father couldn't care less that the iPad runs iOS written by Apple. What he cares about is he can pick it up and the thing immediately makes sense. It does meaningful work without forcing him to adapt to the technology. He doesn't have to learn mice, windows, file systems or any other such gobbledygook. He can put it down, pick it up and pick up right from where he left off. All the information and "files" he wants are always available, at his fingertips, where he expects them. There are no surprises. It's very predictable.

It's not a science project or tech for the sake of tech.

So you can argue about PC, Post PC, real computer, consumption device, media tablet, marketing - whatever inside baseball circle jerk floats your boat. Guess what he doesn't care! The iPad is here, he has it, it does all he wants without getting in the way and for that he loves it.

And he is not alone, nor is he in the minority. We are.

So there. I don't know how else I can explain it. If you still don't get it it, oh well - I tried. Protest all you want - it's irrelevant. The market is speaking and it's just getting started. With iCloud, Apple is getting ready to tie a bow on the the true meaning of hassle and "PC-free" computing. This is just the warm up...

Very well reasoned response! Watching this running discussion (battle) -- your opponent is clearly in retreat. He's just trying to throw meaningless obstacles in your path -- like bombing bridges or burning the fields. But this will neither slow your (the iPad's) advance nor change the outcome.

The war is lost! HP realizes that! Unfortunately (for themselves) many, like your opponent will not admit that to themselves -- they'd rather just debate the meaning of words,
  • Reply 202 of 252
    Of course PCs are going to be around for a very long time and Apple knows that or they would have called PCs dinosaurs and not "trucks". A PC, in a typical sense, passed the threshold of what the home user needed a long time ago ? I think "home user" is a more apt wording than "normal person". We all work and we use PCs for specialized tasks. When we're not working though we use our devices to surf, comment, email, play games, and write a few pages. If you think of the obstacles that the tablet has here, you'll probably agree that they aren't insurmountable. Power? They'll get more powerful. Larger screen? They could be paired with a monitor. Keyboard? You don't always need one, but where you do there could be a paired one waiting, but for many the touch screen is fine.

If you start thinking like this, then there's no reason why a tablet can't replace all of our computers. It really is a touch screen computer that can be used with or without peripherals. They can be used on our laps or standing up or lying down or at a table. It's the most flexible computer because they took away everything but the display (the only thing there's no substitute for) and made every other part of this PC is optional. As far as portability goes, a tablet is better than a laptop. I've seen a few people carrying a tablet like a book but no one carries their laptop without a bag.

The largest hangup is the software and I think that is more about the failure of imagination than a tablet's inability to evolve. We think of PCs because we use things like sub versioning, or VPN, or file systems. I think this is where Apple is thinking that the OS (both Mac OS and iOS) needs to evolve to. We shouldn't need to think of SVN or VPN if files are always in the cloud. File systems aren't necessary if your files are always near. We don't work when we do the the minutia of current computing. We work when we get there ?*when we are being creative, writing, calculating, thinking.
  • Reply 203 of 252
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I don't think Jobs ever meant the PC was dead or anything close to the term with the "Post-PC era" description. He likened PCs to pickup trucks, which is very apt. Trucks still at the forefront of development, they have the highest profit margins amongst product lineups, there will never come a time where they will not be needed, and they are still the best-selling vehicles in the world. But they don't, haven't in a long time, and likely never will capture people's attention like cars do, and the same is true of PCs.

Exactly. He meant that you might still need a big pickup truck - like, say the new generation MacBook Air with Thunderbolt storage and a monitor? - for the heavy lifting.

And just for fun comparison, my old Mac Pro 2.66x4 (2006) scored 5202 on Geekbench, the new 1.8GHz i7 Air 11" scores 5795. I'm running a newer Pro tower that scores a bit over 20,000 for 3d rendering work and huge Photoshop files, but the fact that the AIR is as fast as my old tower is pretty astonishing - and that was used for a lot of heavy work. 1/4 the speed of the current 12-core at what, 1/20th the weight?, is just fantastic.
  • Reply 204 of 252
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum

I don't believe that Apple wants to reveal the file system on iOS -- they want to reveal less of the file system. For example, ~/Library is hidden in OS X Lion.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think to some extent that's true but the "All My Files" default in Lion is quite telling and ties in with what you are saying about metadata. I think they understand that files need to exist independently of applications but don't want to impose the burden of file management on the user so they are trying to figure out how to do it cleanly.

An application-centric filesystem won't work forever because it's not something you can bring to a desktop environment and the more that files build up, the harder it is to control.

Apple already has a mini filesystem browser for certain media types, which can be seen in iMovie for the iPad - skip to 3:30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL3PslgN4Mw

You can see an issue straight away and that is that when you have so much media, you have to scroll through hundreds of items every single time to open a file. Not only that, you can't reference movie clips by name so you have to search every time. The range-based key wording in FCPX would help here of course but requires you to do tag management i.e pick unique keywords.

A hierarchy gives you some help in that every single file must have a unique location but managing this on a touch device would need planning.

I like the media browser in iOS and if it had a documents area, that would help cover other file types e.g eps vector files. But to stop it getting out of hand, I think they need another layer. Something like 'projects' where you can group multiple data types together. This way if you work on a movie, you can create a project metadata entity on its own independent of an app e.g 'Holiday in Italy'. Then you can tag footage with this project id along with your photos and possibly music that you think will suit.

In iMovie, you'd then be able to narrow down your metadata by project so that it's nowhere near as tedious to search through files. Multiple select would help though so you don't have to tag items one by one and this can be done with tap-hold like in Mail.

Ha! I was going to use FCPX to illustrate that Apple appears to be experimenting with "hiding" the file system...

But my post was getting too long, lunch was ready...

Here're are my unposted comments:

What Apple appears to be doing is repurposing the file system by:

1) identifying files by when they were created -- regardless of what they are, every file has a creation date.

2) organizing files into "smart collections" -- where the files are categorized by metadata (names, keywords, content) -- regardless of where the files are actually stored or which Apps are used to create and manipulate them.

3) providing efficient, intuitive means of locating and accessing the files -- without needing to know or care how the OS's file system handles them

Let's see if an example helps:

If you've used iPhoto, you've, likely, used Events, Places and Faces.

-- Events are based on the date/time the photo was taken (camera metadata), the date the picture file was imported, and/or manual entry of dates, and/or msnusl combining or splitting of events.

-- Places, similarly, are based on metadata (when available) or manual categorization.

-- Face identity is a manual operation with the application assisting -- first by identifying what it think are the faces in a picture, then by suggest that a face in a picture may be a certain person (based on how you have manually categorized previous faces).

This is great within iPhoto --- you can find all the pictures of "Lucy" from "1997" in "Tucson".

Wouldn't it be great if you could just "spotlight search" for that -- well you can... but you won't find anything useful (an XML file, if you're lucky).

The problem is that much of the metadata belongs to the app not the file system -- it is unavailable outside of iPhoto.

Now, FCPX has a richer, more robust example -- though it, too is within the app, rather than within the file system

I also used a video to illustrate using a [potential] file system of the future:

It is totally FCPX, so you have to mentally abstract the video to apply to files, their content, the file system in general -- and, most importantly how do you get to the stuff you want... quickly and easily.

Have a look (I'll show you mine if you show me yours) at:

MacBreak Studio: Episode 129 - Projects, Events & Importing in FCPX

I was going to try to find a point to start watching... But the whole thing is worthwhile.

What it shows is that the computer can do some very heaving lifting helping the user categorize files (in this case video) by analyzing them and creating metadata and smart collections -- providing the user easy access.

While you are importing files [video] from a camera:

1) you can start working with them immediately (before they are imported

2) in the background the file system can examine and the files and generate metadata and smart collections

3) things analyzed and identified are:

-- videos needing color adjustment

-- videos needing camera shake or roll adjustment

-- videos needing sound correction (camera hum, wind/background noise)

-- videos containing a person or groups of people

-- close-ups, mediums and wide shots.

Any given clip can appear in all the smart collections above -- and those defined below.

While browsing clips or subclips (think paragraphs in a WP doc, or a slide in a slide show or keynote preso) you can tap a command-key combination to assign the item a keyword and, therefore assign it to a smart collection. You get to assign the command keys and the keywords -- and multiple keywords can be assigned to an item -- without stopping the action.

Later, when other video (files) are imported -- the will be tested against the parameters of a;; existing smart collections -- and included in them accordingly.

A smart collection I can be a living, growing entity

A video clip (file) only exists in one place but can exist (be pointed to) in many smart collections.

You really don't need to know (or care) where a file is -- as long as you can easily get to it.

To me, this capability should be in the OS and generalized to include all apps/file content.

Maybe Apple bought Siri to augment the OS file system as well as Internet search.
  • Reply 205 of 252
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

This quote made me laugh:

The company is betting that, over time, PCs, tablets and smartphones will come together into a "unified ecosystem."

Over time?? This is a "prediction"? How about now! OSX and iOS? desktops/laptops + phone/tablet? in a 'unified ecosystem'?

They describe what Apple is already doing, phrase it as something yet to come, and try to take ownership of it...

It's like 'predicting' the weather a few hours after it happens, and then claiming you were right about it...

After the competing weatherman actually predicted it correctly ahead of time.

Definitely funny after seeing so many 'iPad is teh FAIL!' comments from the PC crowd to have HP bail from the competition and acknowledge that the iPad is causing huge turmoil and have Windows Phone 7 and Windows 8 trying to copy (with an apparent lack of understanding) to capture the same magic. Whether people agree with Jobs' 'magical' moniker, it's certainly been a game changer for easy and convenient computing and clearly has the industry in a state of panic.

Apple II, Mac, NeXT, iPod, iPhone, iPad... Other companies wish they had a leader with 1/100th the vision and understanding of Steve. What an amazing legacy.
  • Reply 206 of 252
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imagladry View Post

Ever notice Ballmer'd response to a New Apple technology the MS does not posess?

iPod- Who's goin' to pay 400 bucks. There are plenty of MP3 players. We aren't concerned

iPhone- Who's goin' to pay 400 bucks for one of those things. We aren't concerned.

iPad- Who's goin' to pay 500 bucks for one of those things. We aren't concerned.

Then later... We are not in a post PC world, we are in a PC plus world. We aren't concerned.

Seems like he he could do more market research. Seems like people are willing to pay X bucks for products what Apple sells.

Shouldn’t be concerned? Why doe MS list Apple and Google as there two biggest threats to the well being of MS. maybe BS, oh, i mean SB could read his own company's 10-K statement.

Ballmer is secretly very concerned. He has his people working overtime trying to catch up:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/29/tech...ex.htm?iid=EAL

He also seems pretty dumbstruck over the success of the iPad. It's clear he doesn't get it.
  • Reply 207 of 252
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Microsoft needs to stop sniffing glue. As long as they deny the shift in the industry (first with Netbook then iPhone and now tablets) they'll be becoming irrelavant. They'll probably miss the next wave too (the uber AppleTV).
  • Reply 208 of 252
    A long time ago there was a PC market, the only company still existing today from that era is Apple. There was another market known as the Workstation market. Near the end of the PC era 1.0 along came a range of companies that made low cost workstations. They destroyed the Workstation market with only IBM and HP surviving, SGI is the only highend maker who marginally survived without dropping into the low cost.

The iPad is the start of the PC 2.0 era. I suspect we will see a desktop iOS device soon enough, currently mistaken as a HDTV in the rumors.

There are no Windows OEM's that made personal computers.

I doubt anyone will read this so late in the thread but thought I'd write it anyway as a voice of fact amongst the wails of fanboys from every quarter.
  • Reply 209 of 252
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Look like you are the type that would buy a Moto Xoom, because they have more ram, dual core processor, multitask, and runs Flash but end up under performing iPad2 in every possible benchmark.

If you iPad fans are all about the "experience", why are you mentioning a technical measurement like "benchmarks"?
  • Reply 210 of 252
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Another way to say this - I bring him up for perspective.

Stop your tech-oriented naval-gazing, look up and realize there is a wide, wide world out there of all kinds of users with all kinds of requirements.

It's not all about us techies. Or at least it shouldn't be - for that I am thankful there is at least one company, in Apple, that is willing to buck industry trends, ignore the tech elite, and design devices exclusively targeted at end users.

Because at the end of the day, I enjoy being an end user and having access to stuff that just works and I don't have to think about too! I like that I can be a tech and a "normal user" if I want to be. Choice - real choice, not artificially defined idealism like "open" - is good!

To take another analogy:

You would rather sit in an automated electric powered vehicles that would get you from point A to point B.

I'm the type that like to row my own gears, hear the roar of pistons spinning at 9000rpms, feel the vibration, the smells and being "one" with the machine that I am driving. I fear the day when transportation becomes automated.

I am, what they say, a "purist".

To me, its not the end that matters, its the means of getting there that does.
  • Reply 211 of 252
    The thing is that he's not entirely wrong.

I think however the PC is going to move more from the traditional role and more into a server type role.

For example take something like iMovie. iMovie is a great tool for a home user and on the mobile platform it is great for rough edits but it still needs to have a more powerful system for fancier edits. Now what if iMovie as an application ceased to exist but became iMovie server whereby the iPad or iPhone could do rough edits on the fly but get it home to the iMovie server and the movie is automatically uploaded to the server via WiFi and the interface suddenly shows a few more options that are thus handled by the server. Make it run on all versions of the iPad and you'd have a sweet little mobile video suite. (iPad 1 would obviously take the video using the camera connector kit).

This setup could be applied to everything including Garageband, Pages, Numbers, etc and would completely alter the way we interact with computers.

I believe this strategy could very well be in the works with Mac OS X Server being reduced to consumer affordability and with things like the Mac mini Server.

PCs will never die but our interaction with them will change.
  • Reply 212 of 252
    6 pages into the topic and only three discernible groups of people....

Group 1: Microsoft employees are demented transgenic monkey-goats and their company draws power from the tears of flagellated Romanian orphans.

Group 2: No, I don't agree with you. This is what a PC is/the device that people want...

Group 3: I don't care what Microsoft has the say because iPad is so magical and/or Jobs' brilliance makes my pee pee tingle.
  • Reply 213 of 252
    The real meaning of "Post-PC" is not that PCs won't be built, made, or sold. It's not that many people won't have them. It's not that businesses will just buy iPads.

The idea is that the PC has downgraded.

For a decade, Apple sold the idea of the Digital Hub - where the PC became the center focus. Content on your TV, your cameras, your phones, ect all hooked up to the PC.

Now, with advancements like iCloud and iOS, we've moved past that. Now, the PC (be it Mac OS X, Linux or Windows) is just one more way to access your information. You might check the news on your iPad, your facebook account on a connected TV, and write a letter on your PC. However, just as easily, you could write your letter on the iPad, check your facebook on your PC and check the news on your TV. Or just as easily write your letter on the connected TV, Facebook on your iPad and news on your PC.

The information is the important part, not the device used to access it.

Now I agree, right now, content generation is going to be the PC's biggest use. However, we don't know how far technology will go. In 2001 we were still awed by the ideas of the iPod. Did anyone see the iPad coming from it?

Right now, Apple is positioning the PC as just another device - rather then the central one. One day, as our devices grow in power, maybe we'll find the box of parts or the funky thick LCD monitor might not be needed.
  • Reply 214 of 252
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Middle-aged? Well it's been around for 30 years, so middle-aged would mean it's dead and buried by 2041. I certainly hope that's the case! By then I would expect computer interfaces to be way beyond the keyboard and mouse.
  • Reply 215 of 252
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,829member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Middle-aged? Well it's been around for 30 years, so middle-aged would mean it's dead and buried by 2041. I certainly hope that's the case! By then I would expect computer interfaces to be way beyond the keyboard and mouse.

Lol. You know that'll be the case right!
  • Reply 216 of 252
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

You somehow think Humanity is going to jettison it's appendages? Seriously now, tactile feel isn't going to be replaced any time soon, and has it's advantages to some outlandish idea of neural implants and thought processing as an interface.
  • Reply 217 of 252
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,829member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You somehow think Humanity is going to jettison it's appendages? Seriously now, tactile feel isn't going to be replaced any time soon, and has it's advantages to some outlandish idea of neural implants and thought processing as an interface.

Unless perhaps, they come to pass. \
  • Reply 218 of 252
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

If you iPad fans are all about the "experience", why are you mentioning a technical measurement like "benchmarks"?

Trust me I don't care about the spec sheet, but I care deeply about benchmark on responsiveness and usability.
  • Reply 219 of 252
    Quote:

I remember someone saying that technology should be countd in dog years

Things will certainly evolve. Even the desktops and laptops became different animals after th were connected to the Internet in terms of usage.

What I can predict is that more appliances live TVs will get their content from IP sources, and things like connected security systems, thermostats climate control will be commonplace. The technology is already there but not as well refined yet.

I can see a big need for a home server fairly soon
  • Reply 220 of 252
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saintstryfe View Post

For a decade, Apple sold the idea of the Digital Hub - where the PC became the center focus... Now, the PC (be it Mac OS X, Linux or Windows) is just one more way to access your information.

Like "Post PC-centric" right?

It's doesn't conflict with your point (that I happen to agree with) but it seems to me that Microsoft's point isn't that they believe the world will remain PC-centric (they have been facilitating the shift of a users digital life from the PC to the cloud for at least the last 5 years) but that the PC can evolve into a device that can be the best device to use for the majority in the "Post PC-centric" world.

People would argue that would make the PC no longer a PC... which is just one of the fantastic reasons this post has reached 6 pages of comments