Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

Comments

• Reply 201 of 329
    Over the past 20 years I have made quite a comfortable living in the graphics industry. On occasion I consider why my life turned out this way?and I look no further than Steve Jobs and what was once known as Apple Computer.

Thank you Steve, for the incredible impact you made in my life.

Clifford Smith

FrankenSigns.biz
  • Reply 202 of 329
    There are not many companies that have an image like Apple, quality of products like Apple, and a general good feeling about owning as much as Apple does. I have been an Apple loyalist from the beginning with my first Mac Plus. Over the years I have come to realize that there are a lot of PC people in the world that just don't get it. But you sir, always did. Thank you Steve for a job well done! You have made my life more enjoyable. God bless!
  • Reply 203 of 329
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    sad day
  • Reply 204 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dullblade View Post

Like everything else with Apple, I think this was a calculated announcement. The stage is set for Apple to end the year on an incredible high, all under the helm of Cook. This will propel him to the status of a great successor for Jobs.

I agree. I would expect them to:

"ac-cen-tuate the positive, e-lim-inate the negative... Don't mess with Mr. In between" *

That's what Apple does.

* Thanks to Johhny Mercer
  • Reply 205 of 329
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grmac View Post

Money is made is both directions.

As is money lost ..... that's why it's called gambling, even if it is the stock market .... hell, especially if it's the stock market.
  • Reply 206 of 329
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Thanks for everything, Steve. You did good. Do your absolute damnedest to fight your illness.

Tim Cook has some big shoes to fill, but he's the right choice.
  • Reply 207 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

Thanks for all the wonderful gifts Steve! Grab a girl and enjoy the rest of the ride!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He's married with kids.

Good .... he won't have to look far.
  • Reply 208 of 329
    In reflection on today's news, I'm thinking that one of two things happened recently. Either that there has been a turn for the worse in terms of Steve's health OR that after 8 months, he's realizing that while he's stable, he's never going to have the vim and vigor necessary to really do the CEO job full time. Remember, this was a guy who held down TWO CEO jobs simultaneously for years. I'm thinking it might be the latter for one big reason: if you knew you had 3-6 months to live or something like that, why stick around and be Chairman of the Board? Yes that might be in the succession plan, but it's not like Steve to do something just for the trappings of the job and to make things stable. Tim Cook has been stand-in CEO for how long now?

Steve might just be realizing that stepping back needs to be the permanent normal. Sure he could do the absent CEO thing for a while longer, but it's probably not fair to the company, or to Tim Cook. What will be really interesting now is not Tim Cook's ascension to permanent CEO (everyone knew that was coming). What will be interesting is what happens next below him. Does Apple keep the COO position now or will it be eliminated? If they keep it, who gets it and then how does the rest of the management musical chairs game shake out?

It will be interesting for sure.
  • Reply 209 of 329
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    The comeback of Apple has got to be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, business success stories of the modern era and I give 99% of the credit to Steve Jobs. I hope someday somebody makes a movie about the rise, fall, and then the even way bigger rise of Apple that is also a tribute to Steve Jobs and his genius.

Thanks Steve. Your genius saved Apple (and helped make Windows a better OS. )

God speed...
  • Reply 210 of 329
    Sad day, knew it was coming someday soon.

I wrote this Ode to Steve Jobs to commemorate his career.

http://breztech.net/2011/08/24/ode-to-steve-jobs/
  • Reply 211 of 329
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Thank you Mr. Jobs for showing everyone that there is always a better way to do almost anything. Please be happy and healthy for long, long time.
  • Reply 212 of 329
    We all knew this day would come, much as we did our best to deny it. This thing called "the tech industry" was irrevocably changed with the Apple II, Macintosh, LaserWriter, iPod, iPhone and iPad. My God, what other company has created products that repeatedly moved the tech industry industry and captured the consumer mindshare so many times? Only Apple.

Godspeed, Steve.
  • Reply 213 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

In reflection on today's news, I'm thinking that one of two things happened recently. Either that there has been a turn for the worse in terms of Steve's health OR that after 8 months, he's realizing that while he's stable, he's never going to have the vim and vigor necessary to really do the CEO job full time.

Actually, for Dr Millmoss .... and anyone else who's looking for the "conspiracy" angle .... let's play the "what if" game:

What if Tim Cook started receiving several offers from the competition .... to run their company? What if he went to Steve and said something like .... "You know, Steve, some of these offers are really getting "interesting" ..... how much longer do you think I should wait?

It doesn't take a genius to figure out the best course of action in this scenario .... just sayin'.
  • Reply 214 of 329
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tim Dragon View Post

Everyone knows the true reason why Steve Jobs resigned. Apple cannot compete with dedicated handheld gaming devices. What Apple fans are not familiar with is that Steve Jobs was an employee of Atari and received his business training from Atari?s main investor. The Apple II was designed around the video game ?Break-Out? which Wozniak essentially designed. Video games created the personal computer, not the other way around. In the same way, handheld video games created the handheld computers, not the other way around. And despite Steve Jobs?s origins in gaming, his success in media only comes from old media such as movies (Pixar) to music (iPod). Steve Jobs has had the same exact effect on video games as Bill Gates: none. Aside from providing computer hardware that can also play video games, the nature of video games has been unchanged and uninfluenced by Jobs.

It is wise for Steve Jobs to exit his role in the company now when it is clear that he has failed for the second time (the first time was in home game consoles, the second was handheld game consoles) to take over gaming. Steve Jobs has failed to surpass his original employer, Nolan Bushnell, in influence over video games.

Meanwhile, dedicated game hardware continues along merrily oblivious to what goes on in Apple.

Ummm, yeah. Maybe a little perspective you need.
  • Reply 215 of 329
    Quote:

Everyone knows the true reason why Steve Jobs resigned. Apple cannot compete with dedicated handheld gaming devices. What Apple fans are not familiar with is that Steve Jobs was an employee of Atari and received his business training from Atari?s main investor. The Apple II was designed around the video game ?Break-Out? which Wozniak essentially designed. Video games created the personal computer, not the other way around. In the same way, handheld video games created the handheld computers, not the other way around. And despite Steve Jobs?s origins in gaming, his success in media only comes from old media such as movies (Pixar) to music (iPod). Steve Jobs has had the same exact effect on video games as Bill Gates: none. Aside from providing computer hardware that can also play video games, the nature of video games has been unchanged and uninfluenced by Jobs.

It is wise for Steve Jobs to exit his role in the company now when it is clear that he has failed for the second time (the first time was in home game consoles, the second was handheld game consoles) to take over gaming. Steve Jobs has failed to surpass his original employer, Nolan Bushnell, in influence over video games.

Meanwhile, dedicated game hardware continues along merrily oblivious to what goes on in Apple.

Your first post, inappropriate and a total idiot, well done.
  • Reply 216 of 329
    You had me at "Hello".

Thanks Steve.
  • Reply 217 of 329
    Quote:

Or anywhere else in the world, I imagine.

P.S. At least I used an icon.
  • Reply 218 of 329
    Steve,

You have made a difference and the world is a better place for it. I pray that God grants you many more years to savor life, to enjoy your successes and to spend time with your family.

Peace be with you.
  • Reply 219 of 329
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

What utter rubbish.
  • Reply 220 of 329
    Thank's Steve! Take care.

You are inspiration and the best benchmark.