Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

Comments

• Reply 141 of 329
    I'm glad he's still Chairman of the Board of Apple. Tim's been running the show for a while and has done a great job. It's great that Steve's not totally out of the picture. I hope this decision is for other personal reasons and not health.
  • Reply 142 of 329
    Thank you for sharing your vision with us all. You changed the way we work, play and live. Thanks for showing them how it is done. Best wishes on your retirement.

keynotes will never be the same...
  • Reply 143 of 329
    smarkysmarky Posts: 75member
    Bah.

Apple is screwed.

The Mac will die again, Microsoft will rule supreme. Android will take over in tablets and phones and nobody will care about Apple in five years time.

I guess the company was doing too good, now it will come crushing down.
  • Reply 144 of 329
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Glad I don't own Apple stock right now because it's going to kind-of-suck for shareholders tomorrow.

Steve Jobs was the man (and my favorite cult leader), and Apple is going to struggle a while without him.

Actually, if I didn't have two kids in University, I'd be a buyer.

The way Steve micro-manages, and knowing his health was failing, do you really think that he didn't have a plan in place? Steve's instilled his vision with Apple's team. It won't be the same, but I am not worried in the slightest. Tim Cook and the team will a good job.
  • Reply 145 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Then Steve turns to the board as he's walking out the door to say;

"Oh, one more thing.

I just bought HP".
  • Reply 146 of 329
    Breaking: Samsung to make announcement that there CEO stepping down next week.
  • Reply 147 of 329
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    So sad.
  • Reply 148 of 329
    jahbladejahblade Posts: 159member
    Godspeed Steve!!
  • Reply 149 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

Bah.

Apple is screwed.

The Mac will die again, Microsoft will rule supreme. Android will take over in tablets and phones and nobody will care about Apple in five years time.

Yes, that's exactly what's going to happen.

Also, Nixon is going to be elected to a third term as President in 2012.
  • Reply 150 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smarky View Post

breaking: Samsung to make announcement that there ceo stepping down next week.

lol!!! Wait wait..... Lol!!!
  • Reply 151 of 329
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

....One question that I haven't heard asked... Who will replace Tim Cook?

You haven't heard it asked because it's a ridiculous question.
  • Reply 152 of 329
    eacummeacumm Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

Bah.

Apple is screwed.

I have to disagree with you, I have used Windows based computer for over 15 years, this year I purchased my first MacBook Pro, and I will never go back to a Windows based computer again.

I believe that Tim Cook will be able to fill Mr. Jobs shoes, and Apple will contiune to grow and continue to innovate for a long, long time, and along the way put a hurting on more companies like they did to HP
  • Reply 153 of 329
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eacumm View Post

I have to disagree with you, I have used Windows based computer for over 15 years, this year I purchased my first MacBook Pro, and I will never go back to a Windows based computer again.

I believe that Tim Cook will be able to fill Mr. Jobs shoes, and Apple will contiune to grow and continue to innovate for a long, long time, and along the way put a hurting on more companies like they did to HP

I'm pretty sure about one thing - none of us know how any of this plays out... carry on with your day.
  • Reply 154 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

I have criticized Apple lately for several things: but never Mr Jobs! Everything he has done and said has panned out! The whole industry today operates on his vision. His influence is too large to measure. The man improved a lot of lives! I tell him thanks and wish him everything golden!

Hear-hear!!
  • Reply 155 of 329
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member

Ok, well, yea ...

When they carry his body out of the Building

Or off that new 'Mothership' thingy

Still his Soul will ever remain

Now, this current 'resignation' ?

Good for Tim Cook, probably been doing it a while anyway

May even get a raise ? ... and does Steve lose his $1 year ? (ha ha)

But know this - just so much 'paper/title/legal/smeagle shuffle'

Apple is reaching Critical Mass - Perpetual Motion

What was Cult has become Institution

Not really because of some TechnoBox Electronic iGizmo

But the 'Liberal Arts' side of that Famous Intersection

Steve, Woz, many others

Got this Baby Born and Growing

The Adult is ready

Change The World™

• Reply 156 of 329
    Thank you, Steve.

I will miss you.

Bless you and your family.\
  • Reply 157 of 329
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    It's a bit erroneous to say that Jobs announced he was no longer 'fit' for the job. He said no such thing. He said he couldn't meet the needs of the job. Very likely because he has more important things that must take up his time (like his health). The job requires lots of travel, long days and long weeks etc and he will he could do them it is not in his best interest to continue in that way. So he isn't.

I am more shocked that it took this long. I figured this would have happened 2-3 months ago
  • Reply 158 of 329
    Quote:

... and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

My gratitude for your innumerable contributions, Steve. Most have been touched by them in a variety of ways; many, without comprehending your connection. I have profited from your vision and sense of purpose. I have benefited from your lessons.
  • Reply 159 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Glad I don't own Apple stock right now because it's going to kind-of-suck for shareholders tomorrow.

Steve Jobs was the man (and my favorite cult leader), and Apple is going to struggle a while without him.

Not really. If it dives I plan to buy more. My current investment is still worth more than twice what I paid for it.
  • Reply 160 of 329
    Tim cook is awesome, but it's the fact of Steve + Tim was the killer combo.

Tim is an operations guy, what makes Apple great is there great products. Who is going to be steering the ship in regards to those great products and the next insanely great thing. That's what Apple is losing today.

Your not going to get the next iPad, iPhone, iPod.

Apple are going to stay great at operations but a big question mark hangs over the future products. For sure in the short term they will be fine. But longer term? They might start becoming like HP and Dell a little too much. Everybody may say no, but it already happened to Apple before. Might be in a much better position now, but there is nobody to fill that gap that we are aware off.