Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

11112131416

Comments

  • Reply 301 of 329
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post


    Talking of the wacky and bizarre, here's an op-ed on CNN (I know, sad but I did read this voluntarily) about Apple's success. Could have guessed that it would be an inaccurate, biassed piece given the author's affiliation, however, I am mad none the less:



    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/...tml?&hpt=hp_c2



    How dare Apple buy components in advance using long term contracts! The nerve! Imagine having the balls to actually commit to sourcing components! How entrepreneurial of them, to actually plan ahead vs. buying on the open market.... <gasp!>



    /sarcasm



  • Reply 302 of 329
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    One thing I kind of like about the current state of Apple basing is the cognitive dissonance. OTOH there is still plenty of "small market share appeals to a minority of sheep doesn't want to play in the real world ignore them and they'll eventually go away" sentiment left over from the bad old days, but that is often coupled with "OMG they're a terrifying fascist army bent on extinguishing all freedom and joy."



    Often in the same screed. I gather that Apple now somehow represents the (lamentably inevitable) triumph of marketing over substance so that they have the power to enslave all of mankind in their feeble, half-assed net.
  • Reply 303 of 329
    As a long-time "Apple hater", I must say that I am sad to see Steve go.



    I of course hope his health keeps up, cancer is a terrible affliction.

    But also, Jobs was such a unique character. He may have driven one of the most dangerously influential corporate ships in recent history, but it was still exciting to watch, and his genius is unquestionable, even among "haters".



    Good luck to Mr. Jobs in anything he wishes to pursue.
  • Reply 304 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    I just tried to help a colleague with a PowerPoint presentation I converted from Keynote. He's using a ThinkPad with Windows7. It's absolute garbage. If you think it's because Keynote from a Mac didn't convert it properly, I verified the PowerPoint file on my Mac using VMWare Fusion Windows7 and another colleague's HP laptop.



    Steve is personally responsible for billions of hours of extra productivity that would otherwise be lost (and continues to be lost) by mankind due to the nonsense that is Windows and Office and regular PC desktops/laptops.



    Ain't that the truth! OS X finally gave Apple a real modern operating system (compared Mac OS Classic) and that came straight from NeXT. And I love Keynote (I've grown accustomed to the version on iPad). I'll never use SourPoint again
  • Reply 305 of 329
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,825member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ranguvar View Post


    As a long-time "Apple hater", I must say that I am sad to see Steve go.



    I of course hope his health keeps up, cancer is a terrible affliction.

    But also, Jobs was such a unique character. He may have driven one of the most dangerously influential corporate ships in recent history, but it was still exciting to watch, and his genius is unquestionable, even among "haters".



    Good luck to Mr. Jobs in anything he wishes to pursue.



    Awful way to punish yourself (or us) as a long time Apple hater, being registered on this site for over two years!



    Still, your sentiment is obviously sincere. There is hope!
  • Reply 306 of 329
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,825member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Ain't that the truth! OS X finally gave Apple a real modern operating system (compared Mac OS Classic) and that came straight from NeXT. And I love Keynote (I've grown accustomed to the version on iPad). I'll never use SourPoint again



    Ain't that the truth!
  • Reply 307 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    That is fucking hilarious. So you guys are actually just a group of virgins in your parents basements fighting the good fight for game consoles of all things. Shit son, I'd suggest maybe getting laid might change your mind about how much fun your little circle jerk really is. Oh, also in case you didn't notice, Apple is still winning and your gameboy companies are still trying to figure out why they are failing so bad. But I guess if they have guys like you and Sean on their side, they have nothing to worry about.



    You mad bro?



    Worst part is, I've reported that post three times and they're both still not banned.
  • Reply 308 of 329
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,408moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Worst part is, I've reported that post three times and they're both still not banned.



    The first guy was banned a while ago but the other account actually was from a very different location. I found a link between the two elsewhere though, plus they registered around the same time and obviously had some coincidentally common interests. Gone now.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ranguvar


    Jobs was such a unique character. He may have driven one of the most dangerously influential corporate ships in recent history, but it was still exciting to watch, and his genius is unquestionable, even among "haters".



    I think the keynotes from now on will be very dull. Steve had a good sense of humour that doesn't show up with the other presenters, least of all Tim. Here he is talking about the State of the Mac, try and stay awake until the end:



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iJce6axaPc



    Phil doesn't seem genuine enough; Joswiak and Ive talk too much about too little. I think Scott, Randy, Xander Soren, Peter Steinauer and possibly a couple of others have been really interesting to watch. I personally prefer less of the marketing fluff and just confident demos from people who know what they're talking about and humour is an essential part of it. I'd say Scott is the strongest presenter with these traits. We'll see what the deal is at the iPhone event in the next few weeks.
  • Reply 309 of 329
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    Phil doesn't seem genuine enough; Joswiak and Ive talk too much about too little. I think Scott, Randy, Xander Soren, Peter Steinauer and possibly a couple of others have been really interesting to watch. I personally prefer less of the marketing fluff and just confident demos from people who know what they're talking about and humour is an essential part of it. I'd say Scott is the strongest presenter with these traits. We'll see what the deal is at the iPhone event in the next few weeks.



    Just because Steve is no longer the CEO doesn't mean he can't appear at new product events, assuming he feels up to it. But ultimately I think the entire format for these events is going to have to change. Steve made those appearances his. Nobody will be able to step into his shoes as a pitchman, so unless the format is altered, comparisons are bound to be made and likely to be unfavorable.
  • Reply 310 of 329
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I think they should start every Apple event from now on by screening the wonderfully creepy, apparently David Lynch inspired rollout of the Asus Padphone.



    After that, everyone at Apple comes off as Daniel Craig.
  • Reply 311 of 329
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post


    Talking of the wacky and bizarre, here's an op-ed on CNN (I know, sad but I did read this voluntarily) about Apple's success. Could have guessed that it would be an inaccurate, biassed piece given the author's affiliation, however, I am mad none the less:



    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/...tml?&hpt=hp_c2



    I don't understand. You're angry that Apple is doing what they should be doing, and what every company tries to do if they can?
  • Reply 312 of 329
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ranguvar View Post


    As a long-time "Apple hater", I must say that I am sad to see Steve go.



    I of course hope his health keeps up, cancer is a terrible affliction.

    But also, Jobs was such a unique character. He may have driven one of the most dangerously influential corporate ships in recent history, but it was still exciting to watch, and his genius is unquestionable, even among "haters".



    Good luck to Mr. Jobs in anything he wishes to pursue.



    The most dangerous one was Microsoft, and today, it's Google.
  • Reply 313 of 329
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    I think they should start every Apple event from now on by screening the wonderfully creepy, apparently David Lynch inspired rollout of the Asus Padphone.



    After that, everyone at Apple comes off as Daniel Craig.



    Is it a floor wax or a dessert topping?



    That is more than vaguely sinister. Thank you for sharing.
  • Reply 314 of 329
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    Just because Steve is no longer the CEO doesn't mean he can't appear at new product events, assuming he feels up to it. But ultimately I think the entire format for these events is going to have to change. Steve made those appearances his. Nobody will be able to step into his shoes as a pitchman, so unless the format is altered, comparisons are bound to be made and likely to be unfavorable.



    He's been slowly shrinking his time on stage. He may come up and do a short intro to the presentation, and then intro the others to do that actual presentations in their areas.



    If Apple comes up with a new product, he'll likely do more of it himself.
  • Reply 315 of 329
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    I think they should start every Apple event from now on by screening the wonderfully creepy, apparently David Lynch inspired rollout of the Asus Padphone.



    After that, everyone at Apple comes off as Daniel Craig.



    It's a bit wacky, but I kind of liked it. He seems to enjoy doing the presentation. I did like where the phone rose up, and he pulled it out from the rear in sync. But the transitions took too long, some had to wait.



    It certainly was different! Worth watching.
  • Reply 316 of 329
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    He's been slowly shrinking his time on stage. He may come up and do a short intro to the presentation, and then intro the others to do that actual presentations in their areas.



    If Apple comes up with a new product, he'll likely do more of it himself.



    That's what I'd expect. He'll get a hero's welcome when he steps on stage, even if it's for only a few minutes.



    Incidentally, investors have taken this leadership transition in stride -- which only goes to show how much investors dislike uncertainty.
  • Reply 317 of 329
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,825member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I don't understand. You're angry that Apple is doing what they should be doing, and what every company tries to do if they can?



    No! I am disappointed at the tone the author takes with Apple. For example, he claims that as Apple products 'exist behind a walled garden' (I might be paraphrasing as I do not have the article up), 'that it is much easier for developers to produce software for Android'. This is rubbish. I have witnessed the process on iOS and am a beta-tester. The process on iPad for example is brilliant. (Sorry that I might have mislead you!)



    An aside. Our local, Sunday rag has a 'recent' image of Steve on the front cover being supported by a friend. Their description of him as 'skeletal' is, I am very, very sorry to report, quite accurate. I am not feeling too wonderful right now!



    All the best.
  • Reply 318 of 329
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    About the COO replacement question - MacRumors has a good article. Apparently they do have someone suitable:



    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/25/...ating-officer/



    Doesn't take a genius to work that out. I posted this earlier in (either this topic or another one) that Jeff Williams has taken the post that Tim Cook held. Pre-2004 Tim Cook's official title was "SVP/VP for Operations".
  • Reply 319 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post


    Look, complete a-holes are not tolerated very well by actual Apple customers on AI.



    When was I an a-hole?
  • Reply 320 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    I think they should start every Apple event from now on by screening the wonderfully creepy, apparently David Lynch inspired rollout of the Asus Padphone.



    After that, everyone at Apple comes off as Daniel Craig.



    So 21 months ago, wasn't everyone snickering at the name iPad? Particularly women. And now there thisPads and Padthats. Whatever happened to the "slates" that Microsoft promised at CES in January 2010?
Sign In or Register to comment.