Apple searching for another missing prototype left in SF bar

Comments

• Reply 41 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

It would be very interesting if it was corporate espionage.

I don't believe the story at all based on what's been offered so far, but if it is true, it certainly could be corporate espionage.

There was much indication in the first story that the phone was actually stolen and not "lost." The people that actually would be testing the devices would be known quantities or at least it would be possible ego find out who they were as a group without knowing which one of them actually was testing at a given time. Trailing those people around town and then lifting one from a purse or back pocket is certainly possible.
  • Reply 42 of 155
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

No reason to think it was.

I hope the same people from last year don't start crawling out and emphatically claiming it was corporate espionage. They were so certain that someone had paid the finder to stalk the Apple employee, looking for the time to strike and steal the prototype.

It's very unlikely. But it would be interesting!
  • Reply 43 of 155
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member
    Any decently tech-saavy guy would know about the iP4 fiasco from last year. If they know what they have in their hand, I would think they would not be as so inclined to find someone to buy it at the highest bidder, unless the buyer was overseas and away from police jurisdiction.

Nontheless, I'm still just cracking up laughing that this happened again. Poor Steve Jobs. He has to be doing a serious face-palm over this.

And the engineer that lost it, it would seriously suck to be him right now!
  • Reply 44 of 155
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    and I've never lost my phone.
  • Reply 45 of 155
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    You'd think that Apple would have a rule in place to forbid employees who are testing valuable prototypes from visiting establishments which serves deadly drugs that makes some people completely lose control of their minds and bodies.
  • Reply 46 of 155
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post

I don't understand why apple cannot just come clean as to how well iphone and ipads are selling. Instead of downplaying their sales, I believe it is their fiduciary responsibility to update sales projections if they are greater than what they reported in the last Q report.

This is funny. Next quarter report, you may actually want to read what Apple says. You might be surprised to hear some numbers.

I would FIRE any moron stupid enough to lose an Apple prototype of any kind.
  • Reply 47 of 155
    I'm crying Bravo Sierra on this one.
  • Reply 48 of 155
    So this is what, the 2nd prototype Apple's trying to get back? Is it me or has Apple lost that level of secrecy?
  • Reply 49 of 155
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Apple should start requiring that only employees who do not drink should be given prototypes.

This is getting ridiculous.

This is a good point. Apple developers should NOT be able to take these prototypes into public places like bars, I think they should only be used within the Apple campus and not allowed outside (devs should not be able to take these prototypes home and about).

If Apple wants secrecy about these things, they are going to have to tighten the reigns!
  • Reply 50 of 155
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    In a related story, Samsung has announced that they would join in the search for the missing iPhone 5 prototype. The Samsung spokesperson stated, "We do not wish to see any issue affecting our, eh, Apple's R&D process that might lead to a redesign of our, eh, their next product."
  • Reply 51 of 155
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    This is incompetent, crappy reporting by both AI and CNET.

Dilger is reporting this as fact in AI, when the CNET story hedges by saying "appears to have lost" and "according to a source familiar with the investigation."

CNET falls short by publishing with only one, unconfirmed source. Reputable journalists find at least two sources before publishing, but obviously CNET was creaming its jeans to put out its "exclusive."
  • Reply 52 of 155
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    The police are wasting their time looking for a phone... Must be a slow month for actual crime.

This guy allowed them to search his house? I'd go along, sure, after they provide PC and a judge to sign off on it. Oh wait, this is the Post-PC world so we can forget about due process.
  • Reply 53 of 155
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

This is incompetent, crappy reporting by both AI and CNET.

Dilger is reporting this as fact in AI, when the CNET story hedges by saying "appears to have lost" and "according to a source familiar with the investigation."

CNET falls short by publishing with only one, unconfirmed source. Reputable journalists find at least two sources before publishing, but obviously CNET was creaming its jeans to put out its "exclusive."

Chill - this is an internet news website, not a newspaper aspiring to win the Pulitzer.
  • Reply 54 of 155
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by owen35 View Post

And in a related note, Steve Jobs has requested that he return as CEO to personally belittle, terrorize, and fire the "moron" who left the phone in the bar. Go, Steve!

number of world's-most-valuable companies steve jobs has created: 1

number of world's-most-valuable companies troll owen35 has built: 0

tool.
  • Reply 55 of 155
    tliszttliszt Posts: 10member
    You'd think Apple might exert a little better control on staff hanging out in bars with prototype devices that they leave as they stumble home.

They should put a stop to this, to be sure.
  • Reply 56 of 155
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

and I've never lost my phone.

win! Put that on your Job App (tm) to Apple.

Edit: this does lose a lot without the "I am an alcoholic.." in your title.
  • Reply 57 of 155
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Chill - this is an internet news website, not a newspaper aspiring to win the Pulitzer.

BS - I'm not expecting a Pulitzer. If you want to spend your time reading National Enquirer, be my guest.
  • Reply 58 of 155
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    They need an app that gives a series of electric shocks of increasing intensity as you approach a bar. \
  • Reply 59 of 155
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Well, this confirms ONE thing for sure.....Apple employees CANNOT hold their liquor. :-)

Seriously. Twice. In a bar.

I like how Apple tracked the phone to some dudes house....but cops couldn't find the phone when they searched his apartment. You know that it is under a floorboard or something. Even if they track it to an apartment....they can't rip down walls. You better bet that Apple will have this dude under servaillence tho. LOL.

I wonder if the guy from Gizmodo will try to buy this one too. LOL. Probably not.
  • Reply 60 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

"Andre... you've lost another submarine?"

Great reference.