Apple searching for another missing prototype left in SF bar

Comments

• Reply 101 of 155
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    So Apple denies it, the police supposedly investigated and even searched a home, yet there is no police report on file, the device was supposedly sold on Craigslist yet inexplicably it hasn't surfaced anywhere...

Sounds perfectly credible, no?

No.
  • Reply 102 of 155
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's been happening since the beginning of mankind, if you're a U.S. citizen, you're on stolen land.

Bullshit. You must be a liberal. The island that I am standing on was purchased for $24 from some indians a long time ago and it is not stolen.
  • Reply 103 of 155
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Well...It is "Priceless" after all. Screw you Apple. The police shouldn't be involved in the search of a single phone, prototype or not.

Veracity of the story aside, why exactly shouldn't the police be involved when something incredibly valuable is stolen?

It's a very sad testament to the state of our society that a basic understanding seems to have been lost on an entire generation of people: when you pick up and take something that doesn't belong to you, you have just stolen something - even if you 'just found it laying there'. Possession is not 9/10 of the law, no matter how obscured our society has made this issue.

Let's say you are in the library and you 'just find' a purse sitting on a chair. So you decide 'hey, awesome! Finders keepers!' What's that?

THEFT.

And the police should be involved in it, especially if the thing you took is worth millions of dollars. This is no different - if it indeed happened, Apple's property was stolen by someone and they deserve the same police services we all have access to when our property is taken from us.
  • Reply 104 of 155
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's been happening since the beginning of mankind, if you're a U.S. citizen, you're on stolen land.

Perhaps, but if that's the case we just stole it from the guys who stole it from the guys who stole it from the guys stole it from the guy who was given it buy the guy who created it.
  • Reply 105 of 155
    peteropetero Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Two of the individuals allegedly involved.... have been charged.... but the San Mateo County district attorney's office decided that arguing a case against Gizmodo would be too much work.

The "would be too much work" statement caught my attention. So out of curiosity, I drilled through a number of referring links and sites and nowhere could I find a press release from the SMC district attorney's office stating that presenting a case "would be too much work."

The SMC DA's press release simply stated, ?After a consideration of all of the evidence, it was determined that no charges would be filed against employees of Gizmodo.?

I checked a number of other news outlet reports -- but certainly not exhaustive list -- on the DA's decision but there, too, I came up empty handed. No mention anywhere that the requisite investment in person-hours to present a case determined the DA's decision.

All told, the DA provided no detail behind their Gizmodo decision -- case law, or other. Again, as I've only followed the events from afar I may have missed something but in the absence of any further evidence in the public domain, I think the comment is a reckless slur that needs calling out. It crosses a line well past zealot spin.

~ penalty assessed: 5 minute major
  • Reply 106 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Apple should start requiring that only employees who do not drink should be given prototypes.

This is getting ridiculous.

Agreed. People who lost valuable stuffs in places that serve alcohol are irresponsible and quite possibly a retard. In the UK, they have lost government secrets or sensitive public records materials. Get them fired or canned in public already, Tim!
  • Reply 107 of 155
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It was a tequila bar of all places. I doubt the engineer remembered his name when he left the bar.

10 years later, most of my time spent in SF bars are pretty much just one big blur. Especially once I discovered Jaegermeister, well, let's just say luckily there were no Facebook pictures back then.
  • Reply 108 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

What a crappy society we live in where no one return what does not belong to them and always try to make a buck on everything...

Welcome to Asia.
  • Reply 109 of 155
    peteropetero Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

"Andre... you've lost another submarine?"

* Brilliance *
  • Reply 110 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

i'd take it with the plan to return but ONLY to SJ and shake his hand firmly

"thank you for a spectacular-GENERATION"

i'd keep the secret till after the official release and then post my story

that handshake would be worth more than 10k to me my family and fellow mac friends.

Don't worry, Gizmodo already tried to extort Steve Jobs. (They "asked" for special access to news in exchange for returning the iPhone 4 prototype)
  • Reply 111 of 155
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

"Andre... you've lost another submarine?"

• Reply 112 of 155
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I haven't read all the posts yet so sorry if this has already been suggested but the solution is simple. Apple should have a chunk of plastic explosive in all prototypes and SJ have the remote 'wipe' code.
  • Reply 113 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Bullshit. You must be a liberal. The island that I am standing on was purchased for $24 from some indians a long time ago and it is not stolen.

Please enough with dragging political comments into AI .. I am so sick of every blog descending into Tea Party v Liberals.

p.s. Classical liberalism is a philosophy committed to the ideal of limited government, constitutionalism, rule of law, due process, and liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and free markets. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism
  • Reply 114 of 155
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

and I've never lost my phone.

You're hired!
  • Reply 115 of 155
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You're hired!

I'm a teetotaler. Do I get hired first?
  • Reply 116 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bay Area CA Male View Post

No its most DEFINATELY YOU!!!!!!

What's with people who post on tech boards and the spelling of this particular word (emphasis/capitalization in original post)?
  • Reply 117 of 155
    Quote:

They were/are not 'indians' (sic). The were/are Native Americans.

Indians are people who live east of the river Indus (the name originates from Egyptians who called them that a few millennia ago).
  • Reply 118 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Indians are people who live east of the river Indus (the name originates from Egyptians who called them that a few millennia ago).

And they make some of the damn finest food in the UK
  • Reply 119 of 155
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Maybe, but when I was a kid I remember playing cowboys and indians, not cowboys and native Americans.
  • Reply 120 of 155
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

The National Enquirer got it right [...]. All other media stayed away from and ignored that story and they were dead wrong. And no, I don't buy or read the National Enquirer in case anybody feels the sudden urge to come with a snarky remark aimed at me.

The odds were that eventually someone the National Enquirer accused of having an affair would be. So, no, sorry, that doesn't suddenly make the National Enquirer a bastion of journalism. But it does say something about you that you think it does.