Apple searching for another missing prototype left in SF bar

Comments

• Reply 121 of 155
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The odds were that eventually someone the National Enquirer accused of having an affair would be. So, no, sorry, that doesn't suddenly make the National Enquirer a bastion of journalism. But it does say something about you that you think it does.

I didn't say or claim that they were a bastion of journalism, to use your words. I merely commented that they did get it right at least one time, while everybody else was sleeping on the story.
  • Reply 122 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Maybe, but when I was a kid I remember playing cowboys and indians, not cowboys and native Americans.

News flash: some people actually grow up over time.
  • Reply 123 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

News flash: some people actually grow up over time.

And some people are intelligent enough to think for themselves and they are not susceptible to PC brainwashing and Orwellian double speak. A garbageman will always be a garbageman to me, not a sanitation worker. A war will always be a war to me, not an Overseas Contingency Operation. A terrorist attack will always be a terrorist attack, not a man-caused disaster.

If somebody sees an old picture of a tribe of people with tomahawks in their hands or if they see somebody living in a teepee, it is not inaccurate to call them Indians. There's Indians from America, American Indians, and then there's Indians from India, the people who make good chicken Vindaloo.
  • Reply 124 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    . . .
  • Reply 125 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How about referring to groups of people the way they wish to be referred. Do you use the N-word to describe people you don't meet your criteria for being "white"? Do you call all Latinas Mexicans? Do you refers to trans-geneders as 'it'? Seriously, don't hold back. Show us how bigoted and closed minded you really are.

I'm sorry, but your idea of referring to groups of people the way that they wish to be referred to sounds absurd and not very logical. Groups should be called what they are, not what they wish to be called. And not all groups are deserving of respect or consideration. A good example of that is how some terrorist groups refer to themselves as "freedom fighters". At the end of the day, they're still lowlife scumbag terrorists, and that's how they will be referred to. In conclusion, there's nothing at all bigoted about the term American Indians.
  • Reply 126 of 155
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

. . .

One of your deeper posts.

Know the feeling well ...
  • Reply 127 of 155
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Partial quote ...

Quote:

Groups should be called what they are, not what they wish to be called.

Truly amazing!
  • Reply 128 of 155
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

I didn't say or claim that they were a bastion of journalism, to use your words. I merely commented that they did get it right at least one time, while everybody else was sleeping on the story.

Why are all trolls so dishonest? Merely commented, yeah, right. You wrote, in retrospect it seems stupid even to you, but you could at least man up and own it.
  • Reply 129 of 155
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Well this thread degenerated pretty quickly into a PO thread.
  • Reply 130 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Clearly an Android user not familiar with the free Find My iPhone feature.

Maybe, but he obviously knew they had found him. I just think, if he hadn't sold it yet, and he has the cops and Apple at his doorstep offering money to return what would be 'lost property' at that point, he was a fool not to take the reward. Cash in hand and no hassle of selling it himself.

If he'd already sold it (though I don't see anything in the story to explain why they think it might have been sold nor how they arrived at the $200 figure) then I guess he thought he was in a bad position as the best he could admit to then would be selling stolen property and theft.

I really wish cnet had done a better job of explaining their story. They don't have to necessarily provide concrete proof or out their sources, but they could at least fill in the blanks. What makes the think it was sold? Why do they think it was sold on craigslist for $200? If their source is from the SFPD, I understand holes like a full description or what OS is running, but there seems to be some very basic information that is missing. Is it common for the police to assist in a search for lost property with no formal report being filed?
  • Reply 131 of 155
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    Why can't they lose something interesting like a headless iMac or XMac?
  • Reply 132 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

Why can't they lose something interesting like a headless iMac or XMac?

Why can't you just stop derailing our threads and go buy a PC? NO ONE CARES.
  • Reply 133 of 155
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

I'm sorry, but your idea of referring to groups of people the way that they wish to be referred to sounds absurd and not very logical. Groups should be called what they are, not what they wish to be called. And not all groups are deserving of respect or consideration. A good example of that is how some terrorist groups refer to themselves as "freedom fighters". At the end of the day, they're still lowlife scumbag terrorists, and that's how they will be referred to. In conclusion, there's nothing at all bigoted about the term American Indians.

So if your country was "occupied" by another and it's soldiers patrolled your streets would you fight against them? Would you consider yourself a terrorist or freedom fighter?
  • Reply 134 of 155
    Jesus God! Apple now has their own investigators??? What will be next? Apple police? Hell they already have more money than all of Europe. Apple COUNTRY! The first virtual nation! I can see it now...Take a bite of the apple and BANG you are subjugated like sleeping beauty....WHERE is the PRINCE?
  • Reply 135 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djkrell View Post

Jesus God! Apple now has their own investigators??? What will be next? Apple police? Hell they already have more money than all of Europe. Apple COUNTRY! The first virtual nation! I can see it now...Take a bite of the apple and BANG you are subjugated like sleeping beauty....WHERE is the PRINCE?

Most large companies have investigators or security of one kind or another....this honestly surprises you?
  • Reply 136 of 155
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    What I don't understand is why Apple does not have the testing units set so that location tracking is on even if you do set the switch to "Off". That way no matter what they could track it if it's on. In addition, testing units should be able to have their cameras remote enabled without the user knowing about it. Now they could track it no matter what and have proof of the one who has it.

And privacy advocate please don't call this an invasion of privacy issue. If your carrying a testing unit you should not expect privacy. If your doing something at home you would be embarrassed for someone to see then either turn it off or leave it in another room. The person that took it has no rights to privacy.
  • Reply 137 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

They were/are not 'indians' (sic). The were/are Native Americans.

Indians are people who live east of the river Indus (the name originates from Egyptians who called them that a few millennia ago).

Oh goddess - do you even *know* any Native Americans? I do, and most of them call themselves Indians! Except in Canada where they're members of First Nations, or Latin America, where they're indigenous or Mayan, etc. - for great spirit's sake, what does this stupid conversation have to do with this story?

I mean seriously, Yes, horrible things happened in the past. So do you want to carry that around your neck forever, or do you want to get on with the limited life that we're all given on this big round rock?
  • Reply 138 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

What I don't understand is why Apple does not have the testing units set so that location tracking is on even if you do set the switch to "Off". That way no matter what they could track it if it's on. In addition, testing units should be able to have their cameras remote enabled without the user knowing about it. Now they could track it no matter what and have proof of the one who has it.

That would carrying around a unit that has been hardware modified not to ever fully power down. I don't think the idea of test units would include such major modifications.

I do think it would be a very good idea that the device (when on) periodically ping home with their location. This would be a software mode and would result in battery drain, so even that might not be viable. For instance it would taint or prevent battery life testing in real world conditions. I also like the idea that their test units, perhaps as part of a FindMoyPhone customization, would allow remote activation of the camera.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

And privacy advocate please don't call this an invasion of privacy issue. If your carrying a testing unit you should not expect privacy. If your doing something at home you would be embarrassed for someone to see then either turn it off or leave it in another room. The person that took it has no rights to privacy.

Since it would be only on Apple owned devices, I don't think privacy would be a concern.
  • Reply 139 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

And they make some of the damn finest food in the UK

I just love Native American curry.
  • Reply 140 of 155
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    I was not suggesting the hardware stay on just that the location feature would stay on even if you turned it off in the settings. Along with that the GPS would turn on even if disabled in settings when ever a request for location was requested.

Auto pinging home with location data is a good idea as well and maybe Apple should check the location every time to see if it's at a bar and text a message to leave if it is.