Sony tablet effort receives lukewarm reception

Comments

• Reply 41 of 125
    The great race for 2nd place in the iPad space continues unabated at a furious pace with Steve Jobs as the reigning Ace. All other executives should save face and exit the race with grace before the worst-case, your shareholders have you replaced for running said race and finishing last place.

It's an iPad market, not a tablet market. Got it?

KOB
  • Reply 42 of 125
    the dimissive comments from several people here reeks of over-defensiveness. the market will decide the measure of success of Sony's tablet offerings. if you are secure in your opinion the iPad is a better product for many years to come, just let the market decide. options and various degrees of competition are good for all consumers, regardless of their product(s) of choice.
  • Reply 43 of 125
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

the dimissive comments from several people here reeks of over-defensiveness. the market will decide the measure of success of Sony's tablet offerings. if you are secure in your opinion the iPad is a better product for many years to come, just let the market decide. options and various degrees of competition are good for all consumers, regardless of their product(s) of choice.

Many of the comments here are probably more based on history than reeking of defensiveness, hence my guess is that Sony will mirror their market success in tablets with there market success in the MP3s against Apple's offerings.
  • Reply 44 of 125
    Depends on who you ask. In keeping with CNET's apparent policy of leaping on and pimping any possible challenge to Apple, they gave the Sony "wedgie" a glowing review on their podcast. Its neo-Baroque scroll design is ghastly--I think they must have hired Ed Hardy as their answer to Jonny Ive.
  • Reply 45 of 125
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

The designer had amazing foresight and refrained from a form over function approach. Wedge shape and doorstop, a match made in heaven.

Hehe. I agree, the design is kind of crappy. I get where they were coming from - lay the tablet down and you can type without needing a dock, but that is not how you execute that.

What you do is a kickstand. A kickstand. It allows tablet to look ridiculously thin and proportional, while allowing it to stand to be typed on. Why no one has released that , cough HTC cough, is beyond my understanding.

No one will buy a fat tablet, even if just one side is fat.
  • Reply 46 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I agree, but Amazon doesn't exactly have a good history of industrial design.

Exactly. Heck, they can't even design a decent website.....
  • Reply 47 of 125
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

The great race for 2nd place in the iPad space continues unabated at a furious pace with Steve Jobs as the Ace, All other executives should save face and exit the race with grace before the worst-case, your shareholders have you replaced.

It's an iPad market, not a tablet market. Got it?

Good for you King. You know the history so let me share it with others:

There are

Mainframe Computers

Desk Top Computers

Laptop Computers

PDA Computers

Tablet Computers

Netbook Computers

Pad Computers

And maybe there is even an Air Computer.

The automobile was once called the horseless carriage—by my Great Grandmother!
  • Reply 48 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

You're completely missing the main point in the comments.

What people are saying is actually they want competition, but bemoaning the fact that, the (thus far) incompetents in this arena have been unable to deliver.
  • Reply 49 of 125
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Depends on who you ask. In keeping with CNET's apparent policy of leaping on and pimping any possible challenge to Apple, they gave the Sony "wedgie" a glowing review on their podcast. Its neo-Baroque scroll design is ghastly--I think they must have hired Ed Hardy as their answer to Jonny Ive.

Or they resurrected Captain Hook.
  • Reply 50 of 125
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

This whole idea you propose, give it away, make it free, spend more money developing infrastructure, buy developers ... you will just spend, spend, spend. Businesses survive and become successful making profit. No profit, no business. You think you can survive with this approach. This makes no sense at all. FWIW

This is exactly what MS did with the xbox. Why wouldnt it work?
  • Reply 51 of 125
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

Amazon sells the kindle at a huge loss .

No they don't. May have done to begin with but based on current pricing every WiFi Kindle that ships from Amazon makes a profit. Don't know the details of their 3G roaming deal but I know low usage data only deals are a few dollars a year which I guess is covered by a couple of book purchases.
  • Reply 52 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post

No they don't. May have done to begin with but based on current pricing every WiFi Kindle that ships from Amazon makes a profit.

How do you know this? Can you provide a cite to actual data (not second- or third-hand news reports)?
  • Reply 53 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

and? full touch was only a concept before apple changed the game and made it a reality (yes others thought about and were working on full touch devices before apple). now that the game is changed such minimalistic designs are not only possible but borderline necessary.

should companies add useless bells and whistles to hardware to avoid violating apple's overly minimalistic design patent? no.

there are more than enough differences between the iPad, the Tab, the Xoom, etc despite the similar minimalist designs.

Apparently several courts across the world disagree with you. You can have a different back-end like sony, you can make the bezel silver. You can square off the edges, make the shape a trapezoid. You can make it an octogon, but with very small corners at 1,4,7 and 10o'clock. Why not an oval?

The fact that Apple's design is minimal list doesn't make what the others are doing any less of a copy. They could release the same shapes that they released before Apple categorically demonstrated what shape and form factor sells. Do your own R&D.

They are clearly copying and should lose for it. If Android wants to give choice, the give it. By your logic, ever car should look like a Taurus, but larger or smaller.
  • Reply 54 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

This must be tongue-in-cheek. Nobody could be this stupid.

Good for Sony. Honest effort beats creepy copy any day. At least when it comes to honour in effort.

again...are you people suggesting that no one should be able to release a rectangular device with rounded corners ever again if they aren't Apple?
  • Reply 55 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habi View Post

This is exactly what MS did with the xbox. Why wouldnt it work?

Because XBox is still in the hole. They only made a profit last quarter and are still at least a billion(most likely more) in the hole.

Most companies cannot use Windows and Office to subsidize billions in losses.
  • Reply 56 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

Apparently several courts across the world disagree with you. You can have a different back-end like sony, you can make the bezel silver. You can square off the edges, make the shape a trapezoid. You can make it an octogon, but with very small corners at 1,4,7 and 10o'clock. Why not an oval?

The fact that Apple's design is minimal list doesn't make what the others are doing any less of a copy. They could release the same shapes that they released before Apple categorically demonstrated what shape and form factor sells. Do your own R&D.

They are clearly copying and should lose for it. If Android wants to give choice, the give it. By your logic, ever car should look like a Taurus, but larger or smaller.

which court disagrees?

PS...the Tab and the Xoom have different shapes than the iPad...different materials, backings, colors...resolutions, materials...all of that...the ONLY!!! possible way they both violate the design patent is rectangular device with rounded corners.

And no by YOUR logic if someone patents a car with 4 doors, 4 wheels, and whatever basic as possible standard imaginable the next car better have 1,2,3,5,6,7,n wheels/doors/ etc or it's in violation.

Besides, the car analogy was ridiculous as a car allows for much more differentiation than a rectangular computer that is supposed to be functional and portable.

As I've said in other threads, I believe TouchWhiz is a blatant copy of iOS and a mockery of Android...sue on that, I'm behind you.

Sue on "rounded rectangle"?

No.
  • Reply 57 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

which court disagrees?

PS...the Tab and the Xoom have different shapes than the iPad...different materials, backings, colors...resolutions, materials...all of that...the ONLY!!! possible way they both violate the design patent is rectangular device with rounded corners.

And no by YOUR logic if someone patents a car with 4 doors, 4 wheels, and whatever basic as possible standard imaginable the next car better have 1,2,3,5,6,7,n wheels/doors/ etc or it's in violation.

Besides, the car analogy was ridiculous as a car allows for much more differentiation than a rectangular computer that is supposed to be functional and portable.

As I've said in other threads, I believe TouchWhiz is a blatant copy of iOS and a mockery of Android...sue on that, I'm behind you.

Sue on "rounded rectangle"?

No.

The one and Germany and the Neitherlands. There is also an injunction in Australia. The Xoom and Tab both have black bezels and similar basic shapes. Samsung has copied packaging, icons, added a 30pin connector, copied the email program.

You don't seem to understand the situation. The vendors, as I listed could pick different shapes, different colors but instead chose to copy the iPad. What you are having difficultly with is that there is only one way to copy the basic iPad look. If they made silver bezels, I'll wager that Apple would not sue them because a silver bezel would not look like an iPad. But then it would sell even worse, so they are all copying the iPad. A trapezoidal shape would not look like an iPad. That folding tablet of Sony doesn't look like an iPad.

Let's just agree to disagree.
  • Reply 58 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

The one and Germany and the Neitherlands. There is also an injunction in Australia. The Xoom and Tab both have black bezels and similar basic shapes. Samsung has copied packaging, icons, added a 30pin connector, copied the email program.

You don't seem to understand the situation. The vendors, as I listed could pick different shapes, different colors but instead chose to copy the iPad. What you are having difficultly with is that there is only one way to copy the basic iPad look. If they made silver bezels, I'll wager that Apple would not sue them because a silver bezel would not look like an iPad. But then it would sell even worse, so they are all copying the iPad. A trapezoidal shape would not look like an iPad. That folding tablet of Sony doesn't look like an iPad.

Let's just agree to disagree.

If they made silver bezels the display would be compromised...black is the best way to go...while white may look good (iPad 2) it isn't very practical for human vision)

And yes, I am not a fan of Samsung...so sue them to high heaven for their obvious infringements...but on having a rectangular tablet? I can't get behind that...just can't.

I absolutely do not see how anyone can justify seriously suggesting in one way or another that Apple should have a complete and utter monopoly on a simple rectangular tablet.

If someone had a patent on the basic shape of flat screen TVs/monitors/etc forcing all companies not company A to make oval, trapezoidal. round, TVs or monitors it'd be an issue...and you'd agree, because TVs are so common...tablets being a 1 horse race with a few retarded legless horses rolling around behind it makes it a lot easier to suggest that one company should own such a basic and oft used in tech shape as a rounded rectangle.
  • Reply 59 of 125
    This sums it up: "Sony has yet to announce pricing for the tablet."

They could price it low enough to undercut some higher-end iPads, but then they'd be cutting their margins. Or they could price it at or above higher-end iPad, but then they'd lose sales. It's a lose-lose proposition for Sony.

But no matter what Sony (or anybody else) does in the iPad clone market, they'll always need to answer the fatal question: "Why should I buy the Brand X iPad clone instead of a real iPad?" And so far there just isn't an answer.
  • Reply 60 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

This sums it up: "Sony has yet to announce pricing for the tablet."

They could price it low enough to undercut some higher-end iPads, but then they'd be cutting their margins. Or they could price it at or above higher-end iPad, but then they'd lose sales. It's a lose-lose proposition for Sony.

But no matter what Sony (or anybody else) does in the iPad clone market, they'll always need to answer the fatal question: "Why should I buy the Brand X iPad clone instead of a real iPad?" And so far there just isn't an answer.

And the longer one has to read the fine print the less attractive it looks. For example: feature: Mini SD slot. Fine print: can't be used for storage, only for transfer to internal drive. You see "card slot" and you think "storage". Nope.

Sony's not the only one to do this, but it's time to entice users not frustrate them.