Sony tablet effort receives lukewarm reception

Comments

• Reply 101 of 125
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

This sums it up: "Sony has yet to announce pricing for the tablet."

They could price it low enough to undercut some higher-end iPads, but then they'd be cutting their margins. Or they could price it at or above higher-end iPad, but then they'd lose sales. It's a lose-lose proposition for Sony.

But no matter what Sony (or anybody else) does in the iPad clone market, they'll always need to answer the fatal question: "Why should I buy the Brand X iPad clone instead of a real iPad?" And so far there just isn't an answer.

- Flash.

- File manager.

- DivX/XviD native playback

- USB ports

- Card reader

- Apps that Apple has removed from AppStore (like Wifi Analyser)

- Exclusive stuff - Playstation games etc.

- Disagreement with Apple business practices or simple disliking of Apple

Who IS buying Android phones, anyway? Presuming that number of iPhone users have an iPad - don't you think that number of Android phone owners will not buy Android tablet likewise, if for no other reason, then for easy syncing of apps and data between phone and tablet, and for not having 2 different apps on your PC for phone/tablet syncing?
  • Reply 102 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

the only one worth having is the ASUS Transformer. precisely because it isn't trying to be a 'clone' of the ipad. ASUS should concentrate on perfecting this one and it will continue to do well.

Eh? It's shape is much more iPad-esque than, say, Acer Iconia tablets... or this Sony. What makes you think so?

I think Asus tablet is doing good for being cheaper than most of direct competitors.
  • Reply 103 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

"incompetents" ... "unable to deliver". that's typical overly-defensive rhetoric. the only thing that's qualified to make these kinds of assessments is the consumer market in which these tablets will compete.

i agree that Apple has done very well in the past several years in delivering quality products and a consumer experience that's really good. i also agree that hive-mind thinking and outright inane strikes against Sony, Google, Samsung, HP (as examples) reduces some folks in the Apple fan base into a mass of irrational beings.

Agree.

Looking at, say, Samsung series 9 and new series 7 laptops, it seems they are - or are geting to stage where they will be capable of delivering. Yeah I know series 7 is MacBook copy - but it does come in full aluminium body that looks as good as MacBook (though I'd wait for full reviews before preordering), good or better specs and excellent battery life for lower price than comparable MacBooks.

For someone who doesn't want OSX (many) but do like look and feel of MB (likely many as well) these machines look like great choice.

New Toshiba Portege Z830 also look nice for someone looking for Windows equivalent to Air.

Copycats? Possibly, heck obviously (in case of Samsung)... but then they are learning from Steve Jobs mantras. In today's business, you cannot find better teacher - or study case - from him.
  • Reply 104 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

While 'incompetent' is strong stuff, 'unable to deliver' seems reasonable and accurate. What's wrong with that?

Not being truth?
  • Reply 105 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

The XBox and almost all consoles are sold at a loss.

The difference is... console manufacturers get money from their game development kit... and the licenses from all those $60 games.

Plus... game consoles have a 5-year lifespan.

That doesn't work in the tablet market. Hardware makers can't rely on pennies from each app sold. And tablets have a much shorter lifespan.

X360 is already 6 years old and still no reliable info on it's successor. PS2 is still being made. That would be more than 10 years by now..?
  • Reply 106 of 125
    troll
  • Reply 107 of 125
    Quote:

Don't agree. I think carrier subsidies are the reason why Android phones are selling. Without those, Android tablets aren't proving to be compelling.

I think the iPod model will carry the day.

Your example, I think is the best reason why. It will be very difficult to write software to scale across all those devices and there is little to know incentive for devs to do so.

All these devices, save for Galaxy phone, have same screen form factor and resolution, 1280*800. Even the 5", uh, phoneblet(?). Technically you don't need scaling, though, you'd probably like to optimize screen layout for devices below and above 5".

Regarding other, well... We'll know much more this time next year.
  • Reply 108 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

It honestly doesn't make sense; rectangular is the most natural shape. Such is the most common shape of books, magazines, office paper, school notebooks, artist canvas monitor or TV screen. Such is the shape of majority of touchscreen phones.

"Inventing" different shapes just before Apple was first to release modern tablet in one of the most common existing shapes in the existence? I really don't think so.

If it doesn't make since, then you are not paying attention. A simple google search of tablet PCs prior to the iPad will paint a pretty clear picture.

Apple demonstrated the form factor that will sell and now, everyone is tripping over themselves to copy.

Perhaps more research into this will help you "get it".
  • Reply 109 of 125
    Quote:

Not being truth?

Then, respectfully, you still aren't paying attention. If by deliver, you mean producing a product that almost no one buys, then you are correct.

If by deliver, you mean a product that sells to anything reasonable degree relative to the iPad that you are...misguided at best.
  • Reply 110 of 125
    Quote:

All these devices, save for Galaxy phone, have same screen form factor and resolution, 1280*800. Even the 5", uh, phoneblet(?). Technically you don't need scaling, though, you'd probably like to optimize screen layout for devices below and above 5".

Regarding other, well... We'll know much more this time next year.

Sure. Always next version. In 2010, we were going to see something and now its 2012. You put a 1280x800 resolution designed interface on a 5" screen and you'll get a great user experience to be sure.

I think you need to think it through a bit more.
  • Reply 111 of 125
    Quote:

- Flash.

- File manager.

- DivX/XviD native playback

- USB ports

- Card reader

- Apps that Apple has removed from AppStore (like Wifi Analyser)

- Exclusive stuff - Playstation games etc.

- Disagreement with Apple business practices or simple disliking of Apple

Who IS buying Android phones, anyway? Presuming that number of iPhone users have an iPad - don't you think that number of Android phone owners will not buy Android tablet likewise, if for no other reason, then for easy syncing of apps and data between phone and tablet, and for not having 2 different apps on your PC for phone/tablet syncing?

Yes. Flash has really been a big selling point of the Android, the Playbook and the Touchpad. Android users are, most likely, interested in BOGO sales and free phones. You can go to supercuts and get a free Android phone with a hair cut and a two year contract.

Unless someone offers such a subsidy for Android tablets, the sales will continue to stagnate. Very few people are getting Android phones to get wifi analyser, card readers, or file managers. If you think that, I don't think you understand the market very well.
  • Reply 112 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I dunno, you tell me. You are the only one here seriously making such a stupid suggestion.

you and others are saying that competitors should be making tablets with odd/unusual in tech shapes to not copy Apple. I'm saying such a design is common in other areas of tech and should not belong to one company. so how exactly am I suggesting that only apple should have rounded rectangles?

are you slow?
  • Reply 113 of 125
    Quote:

If it doesn't make since, then you are not paying attention. A simple google search of tablet PCs prior to the iPad will paint a pretty clear picture.

Apple demonstrated the form factor that will sell and now, everyone is tripping over themselves to copy.

Perhaps more research into this will help you "get it".

tablet pcs had to be bulky odd shaped things because the tech/materials for a tablet of modern proportions would have been overly expensive or even impossible to make. also some tablet pcs did have relative ipad proportions.

or should all cellphones (flip/candybar/you name it) look drastically different.
  • Reply 114 of 125
    Quote:

Yes. Flash has really been a big selling point of the Android, the Playbook and the Touchpad. Android users are, most likely, interested in BOGO sales and free phones. You can go to supercuts and get a free Android phone with a hair cut and a two year contract.

Unless someone offers such a subsidy for Android tablets, the sales will continue to stagnate. Very few people are getting Android phones to get wifi analyser, card readers, or file managers. If you think that, I don't think you understand the market very well.

citation needed
  • Reply 115 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Exactly how many manufacturing plants does Apple own?

(hint: I'm pretty sure the number is less than 1)

All the parts that go into Apple products are made by someone else. All the products Apple sells are assembled by someone else.

so what? if you want to undercut them on price or at least match YOU have to at least manufacture YOUR internals just so you gain one advantage over them. simple really.
  • Reply 116 of 125
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

tablet pcs had to be bulky odd shaped things because the tech/materials for a tablet of modern proportions would have been overly expensive or even impossible to make. also some tablet pcs did have relative ipad proportions.

or should all cellphones (flip/candybar/you name it) look drastically different.

Can you show me a tablet of "modern proportions" prior to the iPad? Black bezels and buttonless surfaces were the inevitable working out of technology, were they?
  • Reply 117 of 125
    Quote:

Eh? It's shape is much more iPad-esque than, say, Acer Iconia tablets... or this Sony. What makes you think so?

I think Asus tablet is doing good for being cheaper than most of direct competitors.

acer? it has the same screen ratio as the asus (which is dramatically different than ipads) but the transformers selling point is it being designed for the keyboard/dock/battery and to be held/veiwed in 'wide screen' rather than the ipads natural 'page' style.

the acer and asus have more in common than they do with ipad. if you go to best buy and get them together you really see the difference. now get a samsung and you will think you have an ipad. i see why apple is suing them after i actually played with the galaxy tab.

having both an ipad2 and now the asus, switching between using them really makes you see how different they are.
  • Reply 118 of 125
    Quote:

Agree.

Looking at, say, Samsung series 9 and new series 7 laptops, it seems they are - or are geting to stage where they will be capable of delivering. Yeah I know series 7 is MacBook copy - but it does come in full aluminium body that looks as good as MacBook (though I'd wait for full reviews before preordering), good or better specs and excellent battery life for lower price than comparable MacBooks.

For someone who doesn't want OSX (many) but do like look and feel of MB (likely many as well) these machines look like great choice.

New Toshiba Portege Z830 also look nice for someone looking for Windows equivalent to Air.

Copycats? Possibly, heck obviously (in case of Samsung)... but then they are learning from Steve Jobs mantras. In today's business, you cannot find better teacher - or study case - from him.

the problem with ultrabooks (i.e. mac air copies) is 'what will you run on them'? Windows?? i think the ASUS x21 (i think that is its designation) looks fabulous and would love to have one but what will i run on it? Ubuntu? that would work for me but power saving modes are still crap, laptops with ubuntu tend to run 'full out' so you get to hear the screaming of the fan and watch the battery meter go down.
  • Reply 119 of 125
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

The great race for 2nd place in the iPad space continues unabated at a furious pace with Steve Jobs as the reigning Ace. All other executives should save face and exit the race with grace before the worst-case, your shareholders have you replaced for running said race and finishing last place.

It's an iPad market, not a tablet market. Got it?

KOB

There shouldn't be any huge surprise that some of the early competitive tablet offerings have been anything but. That's no evidence that they won't eventually hit on a winning combination. After all, the "iPad market" hasn't been around very long and it took Apple several years of patience before the hardware/software/ecosystem made it even possible. Companies like Samsung, LG and others had to do a lot of innovative engineering to make a product like the iPad a reality. Without those Apple supplier's and their creative and original thinking, Apple products wouldn't even exist in all probability.

So while the iPad absolutely serves as the measuring stick to gauge other tablets and slates by ". . . in order to learn how to do something well, you have to fail sometimes. In order to fail, there has to be a measurement system." Perhaps you know who said that.
  • Reply 120 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Can you show me a tablet of "modern proportions" prior to the iPad? Black bezels and buttonless surfaces were the inevitable working out of technology, were they?

ummm no? Apple brought everyone into the modern age. they always do. Also the iPad isn't buttonless.

That's the way the game is played. when you're in front everyone will always be playing catch up.