Mac OS X install base grows to over 6% worldwide, 13% in the US

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

No doubt. With only 92% of the market they should be in a total panic.

Agreed, no panic seemingly warranted. Considering the massive Apple good PR these days, I find quite surprising that Windows still commands a 92% worldwide market share. Even at 87% in the US, I would say that Windows appears to be holding ground, all things considered. But clearly MSFT needs more to reverse the trend, which seems to be the focus with Windows 8.

Linux on the other hand...well, let's just say that I am not at all surprised.
  • Reply 122 of 123
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That's a stretch. Please remember, my original comment was there are few if any industries beside graphic design where you can get by without Windows skills.

All of the occupations you listed are primarily done using Windows regardless of whether they could be done on Macs, they just aren't for some reason. If you want to put "I have no Windows experience" in your resume, go right ahead. It is fine with me.

Of course, by "Windows skills" we really mean "can launch program and save file."

I guess it's fun to pretend like all those Windows boxes are being used by high powered pros, but the fact is the world is full of worker drones saddled with shitty PCs who struggle every day to just get shit done. They don't care about being power users, they don't care about how you're supposed to do stuff. Their desktops are full of dozens of icons so they can find what they want without having to deal with the file system and if anything goes wrong they immediately call IT, who hate them and think they're morons.

So if I can figure out how to double click on the Office icon I have all the Windows skills I need for 95% of those jobs I can't get because of my Mac using ways.
  • Reply 123 of 123
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Dude you just don't get it. It is not about you bucking the trend in an environment that is Windows centric. It is about the average guy or gal who thinks they know what business computing is all about based on using a Mac all their academic life. There is going to be a rude awakening when they accept a job and discover that none of their co-workers give a shit about Macs and think you are a dumb ass for not knowing your way around a Windows machine.

Again, the idea that all these non-Mac using computer pros "know their way around Windows machines" is laughable. Have you ever worked in the average office? People learn exactly as much as they need to learn to do their jobs, which is typically knowing how to send and answer email, produce text on Word and crunch numbers in Excel. Any Mac user can master that much in 15 minutes, since once you're in one of the handful of programs you need to use it hardly matters-- Office having remained the de facto standard on Macs as well as PCs.

You seem to be in the thrall of the myth that there's something computer expert-ish about "knowing how to use a PC" that Mac people can't fathom due to their little niche OS. In my experience Mac users are far more willing to explore the ins and outs of their system than those millions of PC using drones, for whom the shitty Dell box on their desk is just another part of the enervating reality of working life, like fluorescent lights and irritating coworkers.