Two lens makers tapped by Apple to supply 8MP cameras for iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has secured deals with two suppliers to build 8-megapixel camera lenses for the company's forthcoming next-generation handset, a new report claims.

Both Largan Precision and Genius Electronic Optical are said to be supplying smartphone lenses for the iPhone, Taiwan Economic News reported on Monday. Specifically, both are said to be providing 8-megapixel cameras for "Apple's newest iPhone 5."

The report notes that both companies were previously responsible for 5-megapixel lens modules found in the current-generation iPhone 4. Both Largan and Genius are expected to keep ahead of competition as their shipments are boosted by a massive amount of orders from Apple.

Orders from Genius and Largan reportedly pushed both companies to a combined 27.5 percent global market share last year. As sales of the iPhone continue to grow, with a record setting 20.34 million sales by Apple last quarter, both companies' shares could move even higher.

While rumors about the size, shape and even functionality of Apple's so-called "iPhone 5" have varied, one relatively consistent element in rumors leading up to the device's debut has been the camera. For months now, repots have claimed that the new handset will sport an 8-megapixel camera.

Largan was rumored as far back as May to provide the 8-megapixel camera for Apple's next iPhone. Since then, both Bloomberg and The Wall Street Journal have reported that Apple's fifth-generation iPhone will have an 8-megapixel camera.

While Largan and Genius are expected to provided lenses for the 8-megapixel camera, sensors in the shooter were said in June to be ordered from OmniVision. Nearly all of the 8-megapixel sensor orders -- 90 percent -- were expected to be placed with the company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    Wait--there is a new iPhone coming??? Why didn't AI inform us before???
  • Reply 2 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While Largan and Genius are expected to provided lenses for the 8-megapixel camera, sensors in the shooter were said in June to be ordered from OmniVision. Nearly all of the 8-megapixel sensor orders -- 90 percent -- were expected to be placed with the company.

No.

OmniVision has given very weak guidance for this quarter, which is a strong indication that they have lost a big customer.

Source: Forbes article from August 25
  • Reply 3 of 72
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I got a question. Could apple do some sort of mechanism where we have optical zoom? Like keep the thing that usually goes out inside the enclosure but have it do the same zooming in magic that regular cameras do.

Before you start bashing, I know if i want a real camera I should buy a real camera, but how awesome would it be if apple figured out zoom.
  • Reply 4 of 72
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I got a question. Could apple do some sort of mechanism where we have optical zoom? Like keep the thing that usually goes out inside the enclosure but have it do the same zooming in magic that regular cameras do.

Before you start bashing, I know if i want a real camera I should buy a real camera, but how awesome would it be if apple figured out zoom.

Optical zoom will degrade picture quality.
  • Reply 5 of 72
    I hope Apple do something about camera on iPhone in addition to more megapixel & a button on the lock screen. I hope they use their hardware expertise to make camera app launch instantly wheter you access it on a homescreen or a lock screen. For snapshot, sometimes a few seconds delay is already too late.
  • Reply 6 of 72
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Not to my knowledge. Those African photographers are like a milemaway from an animal and still take clear pictures as long as it stands still.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    Quote:

What's to figure out? Internal optical zoom has been around for years... I suppose if it was included you would say they are awesome for inventing it right, and I'm sure they would try and patent it!
  • Reply 8 of 72
    Quote:

Not to my knowledge. Those African photographers are like a milemaway from an animal and still take clear pictures as long as it stands still.

When you have more than one piece of glass in len, it did. Those African photos will look significantly better and sharper if they were shot by prime.
  • Reply 9 of 72
    Optical zoom requires many compromises: size, complexity, expense, and performance.

Let's put aside the smartphone size limitations for a moment.

When you build a lens for a fixed focal length, there is an optimum design, many of which date back to the late 19th century. If you cut an 85mm lens in half from Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Pentax, whoever, you will see almost identical lens designs.

When you build a zoom lens, there is no optimum design because you have a range of focal lengths you are trying to address, so you need to move things around.

In order to make a zoom lens, you need multiple lens elements in different groups which are adjusted depending on focal length and focusing. Some of these super-zooms have 15-20 elements. More lens elements reduces the amount of light transmitted. Ordinary glass (windows, drinking glasses, etc.) absorb about 10%. You can increase the light transmission by using special lens coatings; it is difficult to develop a lens coating that addresses the entire visible light spectrum at the proper levels. The best coatings are usually the most expensive. Cheaper coatings will result in some chromatic aberration.

Having multiple lens elements also introduces image distortion (e.g., barrel or pincushion), some of which can be reduced by using aspherical elements and/or making them out of special glass with different refractive properties, which are difficult and expensive to manufacture. Again, you will see these aspherical elements in the most expensive zoom lenses. Inexpensive zooms won't have them, and there will be more distortion.

Regarding size and complexity, you can create a more compact and less expensive zoom lens design with fewer elements and simpler mechanics, but you will give up performance. Looking at the 35mm SLR market, you will see slow (like f/5.6-8) consumer zooms that are relatively compact; racked out, these zooms often have atrocious depth of field performance. The high-performance zooms (like the models that stay at f/2.8 throughout the entire range of focal lengths) tend to be very big and very expensive.

Now a smartphone is a small piece of equipment. There are size limitations and enormous difficulties in milling high-quality, precision lenses at that size, creating the necessary mechanism to move the various groups into place.

Could it be done? Sure. At the price point to make it attractive to cellphone manufacturers? Maybe for some. At a quality level good enough for Steve Jobs and Apple? It doesn't appear to be the case.

The laws of optical physics and the economics of consumer electronics manufacturing haven't really overlapped here enough.

One thing for certain. No zoom lens will optically outperform a fixed focal length lens. That's why there are still fixed focal length lenses.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    Quote:

Btw, don't mistake a picture taken a mile away with a zoom len. It could actually be shot by prime, a tele-photo len.
  • Reply 11 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Optical zoom requires many compromises: size, complexity, expense, and performance.

Nice short summation of it all. Gimme a prime 300mm f2.8 telephoto any day!
  • Reply 12 of 72
    I'll eat my sandwich if an 8 megapixel camera on a slimmer iPhone is better than a 5 megapixel camera. The top of the range canon point and shoot is only 10 megapixels.

All 8 megapixel photos do is make the file size bigger making them take longer to upload to cloud via photostream, draining more battery. They will likely have poorer, or at least not better low light performance.

Please stick with 5 megapixels and concentrate on a better Lens.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    Quote:

Wildlife photographers use prime lenses. The big animal and bird photographers heavily favor 300mm-f/2.8 and 600mm-f/4 prime telephotos, They usually have 1.4x and 2x teleconverters in their kits, but those degrade optical performance.

They aren't using zoom lenses to get those magazine quality images. Those are the same lenses you'll see on the sidelines of any Division I-A or pro football game.
  • Reply 14 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theguycalledtom View Post

The top of the range canon point and shoot is only 10 megapixels.

The Elphs are 12.1 megapixels, and the PowerShots are 14.1, I think.
  • Reply 15 of 72
    Quote:

I'll eat my sandwich if an 8 megapixel camera on a slimmer iPhone is better than a 5 megapixel camera. The top of the range canon point and shoot is only 10 megapixels.

All 8 megapixel photos do is make the file size bigger making them take longer to upload to cloud via photostream, draining more battery. They will likely have poorer, or at least not better low light performance.

Please stick with 5 megapixels and concentrate on a better Lens.

Yeah, when I hear 8 MP I don't jump of joy that's for sure.
  • Reply 16 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

The Elphs are 12.1 megapixels, and the PowerShots are 14.1, I think.

Canon Powershot G12, 10mega-pixel: http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p.../powershot_g12
  • Reply 17 of 72
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techmuncher View Post

What's to figure out? Internal optical zoom has been around for years... I suppose if it was included you would say they are awesome for inventing it right, and I'm sure they would try and patent it!

Wow you joined just to post this. Very original. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say welcome. Your fresh insights will benefit us all.
  • Reply 18 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

So will increasing the pixel density (all other things being equal), but that doesn't stop it from happening.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    Quote:

Canon Powershot G12, 10mega-pixel: http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p.../powershot_g12

Um, Canon PowerShot SX210: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...rshot_sx210_is

• Reply 20 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

So will increasing the pixel density (all other things being equal), but that doesn't stop it from happening.

Hmm.. Let me give you a clue. maybe all other things NOT being equal?