Vodafone suggests Apple's iPhone 5 will come in 16GB, 32GB capacities

Comments

• Reply 81 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

I hate having to carefully curate my 170 GB music collection for my iPhone, it's a real pain in the ass. iTunes Match won't save me for the time being, because

1) it won't be available in Europe, at least not for quite a while

2) like most people I have a strictly capped data allowance on my iPhone. My provider throttles my 3G-speeds after 500 MB. Yes, that's MEGABYTES. Such practices are par for the course in Europe.

So, I would have jumped at a 64 GB iPhone. Oh well.

Where in Europe are you? Here in Sweden, all of our carriers start throttling speeds at 10 GB of data...

Here's the thing, 80% of my daily grind on the weekdays involves being at work or at home, where there is a very strong and reliable wireless signal. Then I am not using 3G at all. When I am out on the town at restaurants or coffee shops, I tend to be interacting socially with people around me, not hunched over my chair fiddling with my iPhone or iPad, or using either as an iPod to isolate myself by listening to music, that would be rude to the people I am hanging out with.

When I am relying on my 3G connection on my daily commute, it is to access my work network via VPN to access files and such, not to stream music or videos, although I do have that capability to VPN into my home network to do that if I want. My data usage has never gotten to half of what I'm allowed...

I realize that I am maybe not the most hard core use case, but as others have noted earlier, and I have myself, your device doesn't have the juice for you to go through and even use all of those 32GB of data on one charge, let alone 64GB, and what's the problem with wireless syncing while you are charging it up at night, if you even make it that long.

I would much rather they fitted a larger battery in place of another 32GB SSD module!
  • Reply 82 of 143
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

we must rethink local storage just like apple had us rethink processor speeds and memory, and networking, appstore , physical media, it goes on and on

ios uses memory and storage much more efficiently than other "smartphones" using touch screens

why push the "airs" which such limited storage, we don't need such large local storage i added a 500gb hd to my white c2d macbook, why....not needed,with iCloud--if all purchases are auto saved, then your needed storage is even less, and cheap

iCloud is the new "efficiency" streaming and everywhere net access is our new reality it is also another lockin for apple

create loyalty with services

iCloud, itunes, iPHones, iTouch, TV macs,appstore its all about the synergy

that's what all the others lack which puts apple years ahead

The only problem is the extortionate data rates on AT&T and other carriers. There's no way I'd rely on the cloud for my data if I have to pay for all the data transfer.

Now, if the system will let me sync data only via WiFi, it becomes a little better, but it wouldn't take long of being away from WiFi to run up a huge bill.
  • Reply 83 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Heck yes, it is. The only reason I never had service with my first-gen iPhone was the forced data plan. I refuse to pay for something I don't need, don't want, and wouldn't use.

Buy it unlocked? Go to any store and buy a prepaid SIM??
  • Reply 84 of 143
    Iphone 5 has been removed from the website.
  • Reply 85 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

I hate having to carefully curate my 170 GB music collection for my iPhone, it's a real pain in the ass. ...

You have to realise what a tiny minority section of users you are in though.

The only way to have 170GB of music is if you use lossless compression. Almost no one uses lossless and of course the files are each going to be roughly ten times the size of a normal AAC music file. You are the author of your own problems here for the most part.
  • Reply 86 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopicPaideia View Post

I laughed out loud when you said that Urge Overkill was obscure, that was funny...but that's besides the point. ...

I laughed out loud when you implied that Urge Overkill was some kind of mainstream or popular band.
  • Reply 87 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

... More and more commonly, the standard unit of consumption is the discography, and the standard format is lossless. But with the ultra-low capacity of the iPhone, you can't store much. ...

Aside from the atrocious grammar, this is just an insane set of comments.

The "standard format" is not lossless by a country mile, (almost no one uses it in fact), and the idea that iPods and iPhone's (that currently have the largest storage capacity on the market by far), are "ultra-low capacity" devices is just ridiculous.

Please look up the term "hyperbole."
  • Reply 88 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopicPaideia View Post

Buy it unlocked? Go to any store and buy a prepaid SIM??

How many times do I have to say it? This does not work in the U.S.
  • Reply 89 of 143
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Almost no one uses lossless and of course the files are each going to be roughly ten times the size of a normal AAC music file. You are the author of your own problems here for the most part.

Not to split hairs and your point is still valid, but with the average bit rate moving from 128kbps to 256kbps it's moved from about 8x to about 4x with ALAC being about 1,024kbps.
  • Reply 90 of 143
    This really disappoints me, if true. I understand the whole iCloud thing and I am really looking forward to using it- for what it is intended to be: a wireless real-time backup system and a way to access apps or media I do not use frequently. But the idea of me having to wait for things to download every time I hit something beyond the 32GB capacity of my current phone is really frustrating. Apple needs to develop its cloud services around the idea of being transparent, background backups and not something where people come to rely on the network connection all the time.

The fact is, google maps should be able to operate without a network connection- to a point with local caching of map files.

Safari should have options to download your favorite bookmarked websites in the background while surfing on wifi- again, to the point of cache size.

Safari should be checking each downloaded asset in realtime against its cache and looking for a matching code that shows that the gif or jpeg file it is about to download is already in the cache.

Apple should be moving iOS towards making the mobile device rely on 3rd party networks as little as possible, not constantly rely on it. I hope that Apple is actually moving iOS in this direction, not towards a constant reliance on a network.

That is, o course, unless they are buying Sprint and making the iNetwork
  • Reply 91 of 143
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

This really disappoints me, if true. I understand the whole iCloud thing and I am really looking forward to using it- for what it is intended to be: a wireless real-time backup system and a way to access apps or media I do not use frequently. But the idea of me having to wait for things to download every time I hit something beyond the 32GB capacity of my current phone is really frustrating. Apple needs to develop its cloud services around the idea of being transparent, background backups and not something where people come to rely on the network connection all the time.

How exactly would you propose Apple design a system that doesn't require downloading data when you request something not in your device?

Quote:

The fact is, google maps should be able to operate without a network connection- to a point with local caching of map files.

Safari should have options to download your favorite bookmarked websites in the background while surfing on wifi- again, to the point of cache size.

Safari should be checking each downloaded asset in realtime against its cache and looking for a matching code that shows that the gif or jpeg file it is about to download is already in the cache.

Apple should be moving iOS towards making the mobile device rely on 3rd party networks as little as possible, not constantly rely on it. I hope that Apple is actually moving iOS in this direction, not towards a constant reliance on a network.

That is, o course, unless they are buying Sprint and making the iNetwork

Nonsense. Everywhere connectivity is the future (and the present, by the way). While Apple should certainly be doing what it can to optimize the device to do smart things, do you really think your examples above would make even a tiny impact? I mean, how often do you, on your iPhone, browse back to a site often enough that the images on it are the same? I mean really? And downloading all your favorites when on wifi just in case? What is this, 1995? Where everyone is on dial-up?
  • Reply 92 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shaunhussey View Post

Why would they bump capacity when they want people to use iCloud? It makes sense given that.

Because some people like to not use their limited data plans (no thanks to AT&T and Verizon) every time they press "play" on their iPod.
  • Reply 93 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Because some people like to not use their limited data plans (no thanks to AT&T and Verizon) every time they press "play" on their iPod.

By the way you KNOW it's going to be possible to tell the iPhone only to download iCloud media over wifi, or to request permission when on 3G first. It's not going to just download indiscriminately without warning.
  • Reply 94 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

By the way you KNOW it's going to be possible to tell the iPhone only to download iCloud media over wifi, or to request permission when on 3G first. It's not going to just download indiscriminately without warning.

Oh, hey.
  • Reply 95 of 143
    All this bitching and moaning about using iCloud to download one of your songs to your iPhone...

Do you remember when you actually had to PLUG IN your iPhone to get new songs on it?
  • Reply 96 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

All this bitching and moaning about using iCloud to download one of your songs to your iPhone...

Do you remember when you actually had to PLUG IN your iPhone to get new songs on it?

I remember that. I remember in 1.1.2 that we had a fully-built multiple Home Screen function (the kind that we have now, swipe to move between them and dots to indicate where you are and how many)? but you had to be jailbroken to actually have enough apps for it to show up.
  • Reply 97 of 143
    Quote:

Oh, hey.

Just as I said. If you choose.
  • Reply 98 of 143
    Quote:

I remember that. I remember in 1.1.2 that we had a fully-built multiple Home Screen function (the kind that we have now, swipe to move between them and dots to indicate where you are and how many)? but you had to be jailbroken to actually have enough apps for it to show up.

I don't have a 1.1.2 device to check but I'd guess that was a legit feature for those who saved a load of bookmarks to the home screen.

----

This info from Vodafone adds no value at all to the discussion...

...but that said I do think we should should be ready for 16/32GB iPhones again for several reasons:

- WiFi syncing makes it easier to update and replace your content rather than carrying it all.

- Need to be aggressive with the pricing on the handsets

- Reduction in Japanese Industry capacity with potential effect on flash production

- More of us have iPads which do duty as the video player freeing up iPhone memory space.

- Apple probably has stats which tell them that on average the user uses only xx GB (I know my wife wouldn't be bothered if she only had 4GB on her iPhone 4).
  • Reply 99 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I don't have a 1.1.2 device to check but I'd guess that was a legit feature for those who saved a load of bookmarks to the home screen.

You couldn't do that yet.
  • Reply 100 of 143
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    for me, 8GB will do juuuust fine.