Vodafone suggests Apple's iPhone 5 will come in 16GB, 32GB capacities

Comments

• Reply 101 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

By the way you KNOW it's going to be possible to tell the iPhone only to download iCloud media over wifi, or to request permission when on 3G first. It's not going to just download indiscriminately without warning.

Great. Now instead of just pressing play, I'll have to answer additional pop-ups to listen to my music, including the one to disable airplane mode. Maybe I'll get an iPod Classic. It Just Works?
  • Reply 102 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I have a pretty huge music collection and carry most of it around with me and I can get by with 32GB. The average person is not going to be put out by "only" having 32GB of space on their phone.

If you truly have a huge music collection, and it fits in 32G, then you must have an awful lot of low bitrate rips. Yeah, most people don't give a hoot about quality, audio or otherwise.

But Apple customers used to be folks who thought different. Now the chorus is singing the "its good enough for most people" tune, implying that the lowest common denominator is Apple's sweet spot. How times have changed.
  • Reply 103 of 143
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Great. Now instead of just pressing play, I'll have to answer additional pop-ups to listen to my music, including the one to disable airplane mode. Maybe I'll get an iPod Classic. It Just Works?

Lotta whining. This only gives you more options than you had before. Sounds like you should probably get a Droid so you don't have to worry about all these extra features that require you to answer annoying questions.
  • Reply 104 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

Because Apple's reputation and success are based on perpetuating what's "normal", yes?

IF this rumor is true, it may be because of what everyone is saying about Apple pushing iCloud - NOT because a 64GB phone isn't "normal".

The new meme seems to be that "good enough for most people" means "good enough for Apple".

How quickly they forget: Windows is plenty good enough for 95% of computer users. Does that mean it is good enough for Apple?
  • Reply 105 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopicPaideia View Post

The comment about showing a good example of the Coen Brothers - are you serious? "Here, let's just crowd around my phone together and watch Fargo!" Yeah right!

Actually, I was thinking that it could be displayed on the big screen TV and played over the multichannel sound system.

You can do that with an iPhone, right?
  • Reply 106 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

When did Apple ever declare the iPhone to be a full capacity, pocket-sized media server?

When did anybody suggest that Apple did any such thing?

Why is an absent declaration relevant to the amount of storage one might want to have on their pocket computer?
  • Reply 107 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

I know everyone's needs are different but 32gb of space should not run dry. That us unless you're trying to to have EVERYTHING on your phone. In which case you need a dropbox subscription.

32gb is enough space for an acceptable about of music vids and apps.

So?? Back in the eighties, they said that a 20 MB (megabytes, not gigabytes) was enough for a hard drive.

Yet, here we are with 3TB drives looking for more. I for one see nothing wrong with a 64 or 128GB model. I rather take more storage in my phone than more power-hungry radios to cover the mess of US cell frequency bands and competing technologies.
  • Reply 108 of 143
    Quote:

You have to realise what a tiny minority section of users you are in though.

The only way to have 170GB of music is if you use lossless compression. Almost no one uses lossless and of course the files are each going to be roughly ten times the size of a normal AAC music file. You are the author of your own problems here for the most part.

I barely have any lossless files, I just like music.
  • Reply 109 of 143
    Quote:

The only way to have 170GB of music is if you use lossless compression.

Bunk.

Quote:

Almost no one uses lossless

Bunk.
  • Reply 110 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopicPaideia View Post

Where in Europe are you? Here in Sweden, all of our carriers start throttling speeds at 10 GB of data...

Here's the thing, 80% of my daily grind on the weekdays involves being at work or at home, where there is a very strong and reliable wireless signal. Then I am not using 3G at all. When I am out on the town at restaurants or coffee shops, I tend to be interacting socially with people around me, not hunched over my chair fiddling with my iPhone or iPad, or using either as an iPod to isolate myself by listening to music, that would be rude to the people I am hanging out with.

When I am relying on my 3G connection on my daily commute, it is to access my work network via VPN to access files and such, not to stream music or videos, although I do have that capability to VPN into my home network to do that if I want. My data usage has never gotten to half of what I'm allowed...

I realize that I am maybe not the most hard core use case, but as others have noted earlier, and I have myself, your device doesn't have the juice for you to go through and even use all of those 32GB of data on one charge, let alone 64GB, and what's the problem with wireless syncing while you are charging it up at night, if you even make it that long.

I would much rather they fitted a larger battery in place of another 32GB SSD module!

Switzerland. We're kind of a developing country when it comes to cell phones and stuff. It's not that I'm incredibly reliant on 3G either, by the way, but 500 MB is an insanely low allowance, and we're certainly not the only country with strict data caps. iCloud and iTunes Match will be great, but I'll be wary of the increase in data usage these new features will undoubtedly bring.

I do share your priorities though, I'd take more battery life over more storage any day. Still, having to filter and curate my music through convoluted playlists is probably the thing that aggravates me the most about my iPhone. With an Android device, I could at least pop in a 64 GB SD card filled with music.
  • Reply 111 of 143
    Quote:

Aside from the atrocious grammar, this is just an insane set of comments.

The "standard format" is not lossless by a country mile, (almost no one uses it in fact), and the idea that iPods and iPhone's (that currently have the largest storage capacity on the market by far), are "ultra-low capacity" devices is just ridiculous.

Please look up the term "hyperbole."

I said " More and more commonly, the standard [a] is [b], and the standard [x] is [y]."

Parse it in any manner you wish.
  • Reply 112 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

If you truly have a huge music collection, and it fits in 32G, then you must have an awful lot of low bitrate rips. Yeah, most people don't give a hoot about quality, audio or otherwise.

But Apple customers used to be folks who thought different. Now the chorus is singing the "its good enough for most people" tune, implying that the lowest common denominator is Apple's sweet spot. How times have changed.

No, I don't think it implies the lowest common denominator is Apple's sweet spot. Apple isn't aiming to satisfy the bottom 25% and calling it "good enough". Likewise, I don't think they or any other rational company aims to satisfy the most demanding 2% or so of users and declaring that meeting their needs is essential.
  • Reply 113 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

No, I don't think it implies the lowest common denominator is Apple's sweet spot. Apple isn't aiming to satisfy the bottom 25% and calling it "good enough". Likewise, I don't think they or any other rational company aims to satisfy the most demanding 2% or so of users and declaring that meeting their needs is essential.

Exactly.

I've also heard Apple described as a 90-90 company...

What will 90% of people do 90% of the time?
  • Reply 114 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Exactly.

I've also heard Apple described as a 90-90 company...

What will 90% of people do 90% of the time?

I agree. But if there exists a 64GB chip that takes the same space and power as a 32GB chip, I think Apple should try to accommodate that segment of the market who will pay more for it. There have been 32GB chips for 2 years that do it, one would think that there would by now be a 64 GB chip. Toshiba was set to release a chip in the July/August timeframe that would fit the bill, the question is whether that chip made it to production and how much it costs.
  • Reply 115 of 143
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Who cares? I'll buy whatever it is because I'm an Apple whore. Feels so good.

yea man.....digg it

i spent lots to get the 3g (yes 3g) with 16 "just in case"

my wifes 8 is small with her audiobooks and music she has about 2gb left, but

when ios5.o and iCloud comes out i will be combing this site to see if it works to what i think it does

assuming IP5 is good for all carriers, then i will be buying it as soon as it is announced, getting my apple store app on my iphone 3g ready but i will buy one as a whore would do 16 will be enogh

• Reply 116 of 143
    hmmm, I think I should read more of these threads...I had a bad impression of Apple fans but you guys seem to know your shit...kudos.
  • Reply 117 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I agree. But if there exists a 64GB chip that takes the same space and power as a 32GB chip, I think Apple should try to accommodate that segment of the market who will pay more for it. There have been 32GB chips for 2 years that do it, one would think that there would by now be a 64 GB chip. Toshiba was set to release a chip in the July/August timeframe that would fit the bill, the question is whether that chip made it to production and how much it costs.

Yeah... either they could make the flagship iPhone in 32GB and 64GB... and keep them at the existing price points...

Or... like you said... add a 64GB model for $399.

Fingers crossed
  • Reply 118 of 143
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Is there any evidence that the NAND die shrinkage has happened in large enough capacity without any performance or longevity issues?
  • Reply 119 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Yeah... either they could make the flagship iPhone in 32GB and 64GB... and keep them at the existing price points...

Or... like you said... add a 64GB model for $399.

Fingers crossed

You'd think that would satisfy all reasonable buyers. You want big, you pay for it.
  • Reply 120 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is there any evidence that the NAND die shrinkage has happened in large enough capacity without any performance or longevity issues?

http://iphone.blogcommon.com/toshiba...n-the-iphone-5