Samsung shop features Apple's App Store, Safari icons on decorative app wall

Comments

• Reply 81 of 255
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    Hello Everyone. Is this Safari icon? Please see below link.

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2011/09/23/...comment-184215

I see a retangular bluish image with a white circle in it. It does not even close to Safari icon on my Ipad2. What do you think?
  • Reply 82 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Hello Everyone. Is this Safari icon? Please see below link.

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2011/09/23/...comment-184215

I see a retangular bluish image with a white circle in it. It does not even close to Safari icon on my Ipad2. What do you think?

The three arrows on the left side are pointing to images of the iOS App Store icons. The one image on the right side is the Safari compass icon, though it looks more like what you'd see in OS X rather than on your iPad or iPhone.
  • Reply 83 of 255
    Store within a Store... Storeception (sorry, couldn't resist)
  • Reply 84 of 255
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

You have selective memory. How it really happened was that Apple was willing to pay Nokia all along. Nokia, however, wanted Apple to pay more then Nokia charged other members of the standard body, and Nokia wanted to further discriminate against Apple by requiring Apple to license some of its non standards body iPhone patents.

And the proof of this claim is where?
  • Reply 85 of 255
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Wait, so you rightly moderate someone's racial insults one minute, and then moments later proceed to insult someone else on this board? Is it too much to ask for self-moderation and consistency? Hypocriticism has detracted from your point-scoring. Don't do that again.

Next time compare like with like. Don't do that again.
  • Reply 86 of 255
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

No, it just means that Samsung is large, and cannot be expected to know every detail about everything that it does everywhere. These icons are a small detail, something that really doesn't deserve the amount of attention that it is getting. I also see icons for McDonald's, Skype, FireFox, CNN and NASA on the wall. You think anyone from any of those companies or organizations are going to make a big issue out of their icons being used? It's actually a free promotion. Big deal.

Are you for real? Do you really believe any of this? If so, I have to question whether you are out of junior high school yet, such is the lack of awareness you exhibit. Yes they should be expected to know and approve every detail of their promotional materials. Did they get permission to use those other companies logos? They should have. If I use them on my company's website, I'd expect to get a letter from a lawyer asking me to remove them.
  • Reply 87 of 255
    Quote:

Samsung and Apple will directly compete with each other at the Centro Sicilia, as Apple is set to open an Apple Store there on Saturday.

Directly compete against an Apple store?

Riiiiiight.

Samsung might want to ask MS how their store is going
  • Reply 88 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Are you for real? Do you really believe any of this? If so, I have to question whether you are out of junior high school yet, such is the lack of awareness you exhibit. Yes they should be expected to know and approve every detail of their promotional materials. Did they get permission to use those other companies logos? They should have. If I use them on my company's website, I'd expect to get a letter from a lawyer asking me to remove them.

Let's not forget the most important part: all of those other app logos are, or could be Android apps. Apple App Store and Safari are iOS *only*. This single detail should not have been overlooked.
  • Reply 89 of 255
    ortort Posts: 39member
    Even if Samsung had nothing to do with the graphics, this does drive home the point that there is some confusion out there due to how close these products are. Which was Apples point all along.

Even if Samsung had nothing to do with it at all, it still reinforces Apples argument.

I'd love to see this story posted on Engadget or somewhere else where the comments sections are filled with an echo chamber of angry anti-apple neckbeards. If Apple did something like this, half of those guys would be so excited they would need new pants.
  • Reply 90 of 255
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Reposted with additions.

Is this display furnished by Samsung? Are the back wall graphics also supplied by Samsung, assuming that any of the display comes direct from them, or are those elements a part of the retailers decor, perhaps repeated on other walls removed from Samsung's display? What does the rest of the retailers shop look like?

Did the company producing the graphics receive the proper releases before creating them? If all the elements were contracted by Samsung, did they have releases to use each of the logos for marketing purposes? Is this an official Samsung-designed and supplied sales area or one created by the retailer to display Samsung products?

Not nearly enough known to make any judgement.

Sure there is. It's a Samsung display in a Samsung shop. That means that Samsung is responsible for what goes on there.

Quote:

Asking pertinent questions is not the same as giving a pass, and how Apple does retail has no bearing on this. Why are you so quick to claim Samsung guilty. . of something. With nothing more to go on than a photo taken inside another retailer's store? Seriously.

I've worked with General Growth, one of the largest mall developer's in the world, for over 15 years. I've set up 1000's of store displays and related signage/messaging, including in-store kiosks within other stores. Worked in cities from Savannah, GA to Pembroke, FL, handling in-mall promotions for 17 different properties. In nearly every instance I've had to deal with, the contract seller within the store has little to say about what is in the background of their area. They pay for a certain square footage for a certain term. Sometimes a 3rd party provider supplies the display elements. Other times the store itself handles setup and requires the 3rd-party staff to work from their facilities. At other times the seller handles every detail, including setup. And often a company like mine is contracted to design/produce/install the design elements.

In this case you have little idea what you're talking about. IMHO, you simply missed the part of the story that mentioned the display was within another retailers's store when trying to correct me, then tried to cover with an 'authoritive" post. There is no "rule" about how the contract seller handles the display/setup requirements. It varies with circumstances, thus the reason for the questions I posed.

You're talking about a completely different situation. A 'contract seller' is not the same as a multinational company setting up its own mini-shop.

Quote:

Samsung has its headquarters in South Korea. *The article says that this picture is from a store in Italy. *You can't expect the people at Samsung in South Korea to know every detail about everything the company does in every country. *That would be impossible.

Sure it would. But that doesn't mean that they're not liable. That's why companies try to hire competent local managers - because the company STILL has liability if the manager screws up.

Quote:

No, it just means that Samsung is large, and cannot be expected to know every detail about everything that it does everywhere. These icons are a small detail, something that really doesn't deserve the amount of attention that it is getting. I also see icons for McDonald's, Skype, FireFox, CNN and NASA on the wall. You think anyone from any of those companies or organizations are going to make a big issue out of their icons being used? It's actually a free promotion. Big deal.

That's a foolish comparison.

For CNN, McDonald's, Skype, etc, it's free promotion.

For Apple, it's a competitor shamelessly copying your intellectual property to illegally ride on your coattails.
  • Reply 91 of 255
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    It's completely possible this is a picture of a Samsung-created store (where's the cash register?), and it's believable that the logos on the back wall, McDonald's, NASA, iTunes, Skype, were put there by Samsung. It's also possible this is the retailer's (Euronics) idea, the retailers display fixtures, etc. . It may not even be a competed area, with the remainder of the last displayed products decor still to be removed. Or the the back wall may be Euronics-controlled and Euronics decor, with the wood-defined display area away from the wall being leased to the Italian Samsung distributor. Dunno.

I don't presume to know how retailers do business in Italy, but I've got a pretty good idea how it's done here. With the current legal hurricane blowing it's perhaps Samsung Korea that needs to ask to have at least any references to Apple products removed from the area of the display. NASA and McDonald's aren't as dangerous to leave up. Their fans are a bit tamer. Apple and Samsung shouldn't be in the same room right now.
  • Reply 92 of 255
    ooooops?
  • Reply 93 of 255
    So people really believe the highly implausible scenario where Samsung directly put this up to trap consumers who don't know better?

Wow. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of you were young earth creationists.
  • Reply 94 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

So people really believe the highly implausible scenario where Samsung directly put this up to trap consumers who don't know better?

I don't think anyone suggested such a scenario.

What was suggested is that Samsung is not respecting Apple's intellectual property - and duping unsuspecting consumers is one of the outcomes of their overall strategy. That doesn't mean that this particular sign was intentional.

Rather, Samsung apparently can't be bothered to respect others' intellectual property - which is what Apple has been saying all along.

I've done plenty of display ads. One of the first things you do (at least if you're an honest and respectable company) is to ensure that you're not using unauthorized graphics.
  • Reply 95 of 255
    Quote:

It's completely possible this is a picture of a Samsung-created store (where's the cash register?), and it's believable that the logos on the back wall, McDonald's, NASA, iTunes, Skype, were put there by Samsung. It's also possible this is the retailer's (Euronics) idea, the retailers display fixtures, etc. . It may not even be a competed area, with the remainder of the last displayed products decor still to be removed. Or the the back wall may be Euronics-controlled and Euronics decor, with the wood-defined display area away from the wall being leased to the Italian Samsung distributor. Dunno.

I don't presume to know how retailers do business in Italy, but I've got a pretty good idea how it's done here. With the current legal hurricane blowing it's perhaps Samsung Korea that needs to ask to have at least any references to Apple products removed from the area of the display. NASA and McDonald's aren't as dangerous to leave up. Their fans are a bit tamer. Apple and Samsung shouldn't be in the same room right now.

That's absurd.

Intellectual property needs to be respected. When preparing a display like this, everyone involved has the responsibility to ensure that they have permission for ALL the graphics they use - not just the ones that they think will sue them.
  • Reply 96 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's absurd.

Intellectual property needs to be respected. When preparing a display like this, everyone involved has the responsibility to ensure that they have permission for ALL the graphics they use - not just the ones that they think will sue them.

As far as I can tell those are app icons
  • Reply 97 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't think anyone suggested such a scenario.

What was suggested is that Samsung is not respecting Apple's intellectual property - and duping unsuspecting consumers is one of the outcomes of their overall strategy. That doesn't mean that this particular sign was intentional.

Rather, Samsung apparently can't be bothered to respect others' intellectual property - which is what Apple has been saying all along.

I've done plenty of display ads. One of the first things you do (at least if you're an honest and respectable company) is to ensure that you're not using unauthorized graphics.

I'm aware. And mismanagement is definitely to blame. But to turn it into blatant IP theft as the majority of comments here suggest is utterly absurd.
  • Reply 98 of 255
    Yesterday we received a Galaxy S device at work. It was on Woot for $180 and we needed an Android device for testing. When it arrived and I say the box it was in, the first thought in my mind (and it even slipped out of my mouth) as "what a ripoff". The box looked exactly like an iPhone of iPod Touch box. Yes the picture was slightly different, but the placement of everything was exactly the same. Even the picture on the front was the same size as an iPod Touch and had the same icons, etc. When we opened it, it was a little different just because it has a 5" screen instead of a 3.5" screen so it basically looks like someone dropped an iPhone 3GS into a "Honey I Grew the Kids" machine.

Even some of the apps on the phone have the same icons and the same feel. So yes, I think they have crossed a line and are trying to "free ride" on the marketing efforts of Apple.
  • Reply 99 of 255
    Quote:

As far as I can tell those are app icons

Reminds me when Microsoft used the Angry Birds logo on a Windows Phone promo, and Rovio said they had no plans at the time to release a Windows Phone version, and didnt give Microsoft permission.

Samsung will learn the hard way, before the iPhone came out, everyone in the phone market just copied eachother over and over, mean there was no advancements what so ever.

If companies can't start innovating, and stop copying Apples, then the only time there will EVER be an advancement in mobile technology is when Apple releases a phone once a year.

And one innovation a year is not enough for an entire market.
  • Reply 100 of 255
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

No, people believe the highly plausible scenario that Samsung doesn't care (whether their action deceive their customers or not).